Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 6th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W8 D1 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3055991 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #23897: Jan 22, 2015 08:23:35 pm
      OK, who let Pascoe on the computer? :)

Excuse me. Colin Pascoe's 1-0-0 record as manager of Liverpool Football Club says hello :laugh:
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #23898: Jan 22, 2015 08:26:51 pm
      Excuse me. Colin Pascoe's 1-0-0 record as manager of Liverpool Football Club says hello :laugh:
      Simple as that :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #23899: Jan 22, 2015 08:27:47 pm
      OK, who let Pascoe on the computer? :)

;)
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #23900: Jan 22, 2015 08:30:26 pm
      PES is a much better game IMO
      Would make it worse. Reason the 4-4-2 with wingers/wide attacking midfield/inside forwards is dead* is that you've given up the central midfield. Its leaving 2 in there which gets beaten consistently by the standard 4-3-3. If you have a really energetic character like Hendo in there or a brilliant reader of the game like Lucas you can mitigate that damage, but generally its not worth it.
      Whats great about a wingback is that they aren't defenders like a fullbacks tend to be. They are more or less wide midfielders who, like a CM, are expected to contribute roughly equally to defensive, attacking and transitional phases of play.

*barring defensive wingers or a flat four midfield (ye olde classic two banks of 4 - see Mike Basset for details), or a team full of superstars who no-one ever attacks anyway
      Well nicely said,i totally forgoted about Hendo in that formation,i am sure that formation would work good with a cmf and dmf
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,982 posts | 3060 
      Reply #23901: Jan 22, 2015 09:06:36 pm
      8th place and 17 points off the top.....BR announcing we "were never" gonna be title challengers is a bit like turkeys voting for easter isn't it?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #23902: Jan 22, 2015 09:20:39 pm
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #23903: Jan 23, 2015 11:52:28 am
      To be fair he's been unlucky, losing Suarez in Summer then Sturridge getting injured for most of the season and Ballotelli has not kicked on. BUT some of his signings proving their worth now. CAN is class, Sakho better than Lovern and always was. Moraeno is going to be a top player also with Lallana starting to show form.
      next season we will be in the mix for the title i reckon as all of our younger players will have matured the likes of Markovich,Sterling even Ibe will be in the mix next season as top europeian players. Sterling is showing his class now like he did last season and still young.
      BR changing formation has saved our season so far if we can beath the bitters and both Mancs we are right back in CL mix
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #23904: Jan 23, 2015 12:01:16 pm
      It's not just me then! :f_tongueincheek:

Jeff Powell from the Mail has come up with a piece about Brendans fulminations. Does he have a point?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2921960/Brendan-Rodgers-learned-gift-gab-Jose-Mourinho-s-time-let-Liverpool-talking.html
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,094 posts | 3359 
      Reply #23905: Jan 23, 2015 12:03:15 pm
      Unsurprising to hear Brendan make these comments now. It's easy to say it when we're six months into the season with about as much chance of winning the League as I have of being Miss World. Expects to win a trophy? Again easy to say when we're still in three Cup competitions - though it adds extra pressure on us in the next round of Cup fixtures.

If he'd said it at the start of the season then he'd probably of copped a lot more flak but it'd of had more impact as well.

Sounds more like a cop out to me with him saying it now.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,289 posts | 4938 
      Reply #23906: Jan 23, 2015 12:16:52 pm

Jeff Powell from the Mail has come up with a piece about Brendans fulminations. Does he have a point?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2921960/Brendan-Rodgers-learned-gift-gab-Jose-Mourinho-s-time-let-Liverpool-talking.html

Jeff Powell is a c**t.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #23907: Jan 23, 2015 12:22:54 pm

Saw that this morning.

Basically a hit piece dressed up with "admiration" for Paisley so that he can say "But look, I like Liverpool".

Still, if he's getting that desperate it shows BR is doing something right.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #23908: Jan 23, 2015 02:47:57 pm

In no way is that under dispute. However, I do think that there is an element of truth to what he's saying.

More times than not I've hidden behind the couch whilst having to listen to some of Brendans interviews. Be that because of his non-nonsensical match analysis, player contradictions or plainly through some of his amazing parables.

He was nowhere near as bad as this whilst at Swansea. And the more I think about it the more I'm convinced that having that docu crew follow him around at the start of his tenure set his mould. It's like he had to create a persona for himself as some kind of philosophical genius to justify his appointment at a major club and now has to follow it through.

He's no modern day Shanks with smart quips and repartee. Be it lack of confidence or whatever, he needs to get over it. HE was appointed to the job because the powers that be obviously thought HE was capable. Stop talking bollox and start talking proper football.

Just saying is all. Rant over :f_steam:
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #23909: Jan 23, 2015 03:52:52 pm
      But his job is not to analyse the match as you do with your mates after the game.

His job is to move the club forward which means sometimes he will praise a player, even though they have played badly, yo boost their confidence in adapting their game or other times he will denigrate a player who might have scored, for example, but hasn't followed instructions.

It's the same for any manager.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #23910: Jan 23, 2015 03:56:53 pm
      As long as the team are performing well on the pitch, that's all I care about. Granted, I can see why the sceptics here are frustrated at 'playing well' comments when evidently it is not the case. I hate that from ANY manager. But, there's that old saying 'never hang your dirty linen out in public' and I'm sure Rodgers has said behind closed doors how displeased he is at some if of the levels if performance this season.

The only way to improve is to first realise that you aren't playing well, and it seems as if the management and players have realised this what with improved form over the last month or so.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #23911: Jan 23, 2015 05:49:03 pm
      The last thing you do when you are in the pit we were in this season is get on the backs of the players in public. It still amazes me that people can't see that where Brendan's concerned.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #23912: Jan 23, 2015 06:10:05 pm
      Pressers and post match interviews are just spin and PR these days.
      Managers are obligated to do them, and mostly they just blag it from what I've seen.

I mean seriously, BR isn't going to say "I dropped him because he was acting the c**t in training" or "He played sh*te" or anything else.

It's empty waffle for the most part, and I'm surprised people pay any attention to it.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #23913: Jan 23, 2015 08:08:04 pm
      Pressers and post match interviews are just spin and PR these days.
      Managers are obligated to do them, and mostly they just blag it from what I've seen.

I mean seriously, BR isn't going to say "I dropped him because he was acting the c**t in training" or "He played sh*te" or anything else.

It's empty waffle for the most part, and I'm surprised people pay any attention to it.

No, you're right, I don't expect him to name and shame. But when he's asked to give an account of the match, more often than not I'm left wondering if we both watched the same frigging game. Usually topped off with some bizarre superlatives!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,357 posts | 6398 
      Reply #23914: Jan 23, 2015 08:21:43 pm
      No, you're right, I don't expect him to name and shame. But when he's asked to give an account of the match, more often than not I'm left wondering if we both watched the same frigging game. Usually topped off with some bizarre superlatives!

Maybe his answers aren't meant for the fans, maybe they are meant for the team's benefits?
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #23915: Jan 23, 2015 08:37:20 pm
      Maybe his answers aren't meant for the fans, maybe they are meant for the team's benefits?

That's it, I'm gettin' outta here !
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #23916: Jan 24, 2015 11:40:53 am

Sounds like Dear Jeff has been lurking forums to produce this kind of stuff guff.

I bet he's spied on the 'Shrewd and analytic Red Brethren' on here.  ;)
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #23917: Jan 24, 2015 12:13:46 pm

I'll be honest, I stopped listening to his interviews or pre match press things ages ago.
      This isn't me having a go at him today, simply me- not trusting his post match analysis. he comes across as a bit of a whopper, but most managers do. They're like politicians mixed with motivational speakers. I suppose that's what the directors, execs, owners... like them to do in the media spotlight.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #23918: Jan 24, 2015 01:03:41 pm

All managers do that mate.
      It's what happens when managers are contractually forced to give post match interviews.
      They just throw out stock answers while pretending to look thoughtful.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #23919: Jan 24, 2015 02:05:20 pm
      All managers do that mate.
      It's what happens when managers are contractually forced to give post match interviews.
      They just throw out stock answers while pretending to look thoughtful.

I'll be honest, I stopped listening to his interviews or pre match press things ages ago.
      This isn't me having a go at him today, simply me- not trusting his post match analysis. he comes across as a bit of a whopper, but most managers do. They're like politicians mixed with motivational speakers. I suppose that's what the directors, execs, owners... like them to do in the media spotlight.

I know where you're coming from on your points but I'm also now realising that it's a similar pattern that only occurs with the managers of the Big 4. Maureen, Van Gauling and Whinger are all exactly the same. It's a form of denial and they'll blame everything else apart from themselves or their team. I suppose it's part of the psyche required for a big club manager not to concede weakness. I suspect that's part of the reason as to why Moyes got canned so quickly.

Managers from the lesser team generally give an honest account during their interviews. 

Quick Reply