Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 14th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P2 W1 D1 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3084757 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #26841: Apr 21, 2015 12:38:49 pm
      If Rodgers was sacked and he won't be IMO, no high profile manager would touch us because high profile managers want to manage the club on the pitch and in the transfer market and FSG don't want to give full control to anyone even if he is high profile or not.

Why would the manager be sacked for carrying out the owners wishes to a T?

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #26842: Apr 21, 2015 12:39:56 pm
      Apart from RAFA there is no other manager around better than Brendan to manage our club we are an average team at the moment with great fan base, its only the fan base that has kept us a top 10 team because the way Villa destroyed us in that cup game was down to bad buys in the summer, poor tactics (he changed it like 3 times during the game) and stubberness to not stick to his guns on some of his buys.
      Borini , Ballotelli both should be playing together week in week out as soon as Sturridge got injured not a 20yr old greedy kid. We need hunger to lead the line and for me Borini would have gave everything week in week out just like he did agaist Madrid. Yes he didnt score but he ran the front line and worked hard something Sterling and Sturrige dont do. This summer Brenand needs to demand a striker that will do that running and stick with him. clear our the dead wood admit he's messed up with some of his buys and move on. Klopp is a daydream he will got to City and take Reus with him not to us because he can manage the german version of us right now and he's chose to leave. Stick with Brendan for the long haul but employ someone to sort out our transferes not bloody Ian ayre
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,361 posts | 4971 
      Reply #26843: Apr 21, 2015 01:05:53 pm
      Apart from RAFA there is no other manager around better than Brendan to manage our club

Ridiculous statement.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #26844: Apr 21, 2015 01:10:03 pm
      well you tell me which manager out there better than BR who would come to us at the moment
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #26845: Apr 21, 2015 01:13:33 pm
      I dont see why people think changing the manger will change our league position. BR has been very unlucky this summer with injuries and losing Suarez. The main issue is with who he bought to replace suarez goals on paper it looks like he tried to fill the squad with goals but its not worked out. maybe next season Lallana,Sturridge will be injury free and back goals but he still needs to get a top striker to play with Sturridge and i think we will be fine. Needs to get the transfers right this summer as i think it will be his last season under FSG if he dont get a top 4 slot.
      But to clarify i'm all for the long run and giving a manager 5 seasons to build a team.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #26846: Apr 21, 2015 01:15:27 pm
      I'm not sure this is totally true Beer. While I agree that some will be delighted to see the boss getting criticised I personally try and take a balanced view and have a think before I post on here especially when its of a critical nature as I generally like to see the positives where out football is concerned.

I was reasonably happy with our signings, your right I did, and still do, rate Lallana highly and apart from the shambles of trying to replace Luis I think we bought good players.

I think we have a good squad of footballers who by and large 'fit' into the managers style. I also think he got his own way with a few. I think Lovren, and especially Lallana, where very much players he wanted and pushed for.

Having said that its exactly why I've been critical of the boss over the last day or so. We are in April and even taking into account injuries I think we have a better squad than what we have shown this season and there are too many times when we haven't got ourselves up for the big games and I think Brendan has to take some responsibility for that.

I think its easy to keep saying the squad isn't good enough when, as you quite rightly point out, many of us where happy with the summer business at the time and as I said I was apart from one glaringly obvious omission which has cost us badly.

But if 'we' were happy with the players and it turns out the players haven't performed, don't get picked, get dropped for no apparent reason etc etc I think it is natural to question the managers role in getting the best from that players.

He's not entirely at fault and doesn't deserve to be thrown under a bus as you say but to absolve him of any of the negative points in what has been a pretty negative season would be wrong as well.

Hi srslfc,

firstly, I want to say I wasn't accusing you personally of throwing him under a bus per se, just that I remember you rating Lallana is all.

Secondly, I agree with most of your post. And I think you, me and everyone else who supports this club can look towards Brendan as to why we didn't get past Villa on Sunday. I haven't seen the game and won't watch it now, but the consensus is Brendan got a fair bit wrong, and I won't argue that.

Thirdly, after watching many of the summer signings in action added to what we already have - I don't think they have improved us at all (I like Can though). While we have filled out the squad (which I also thought was need too), the players brought in are mostly squad players, not improvements on the first eleven.

I think the squad is okay, I just don't think our starting eleven to fourteen are good enough though srslfc.

However, I still agree although it may sound contradictory somewhat that Brendan as the manager should be able to get 10-15% more out of the team than he has done in certain games. Certainly Villa, at Wembley. I don't think any excuse can be made there, well apart from the fact we had Henderson and Allen and Gerrard (was it?) in midfield - two very ordinary midfielders and one who looks as though that 'slip' has haunted him ever since, and the fact his legs are gone. That's an average midfield lined up against another average midfield - it can go either way - and midfield is usually where the battle is won or lost. And by the sounds of it, they pressed our ordinary midfield into submission. However, this is where he (a manager) earns his money, just as Sherwood earned his on Sunday, he managed to get his team 'up for it' and was able to push them on with his approach, Rodgers didn't.

It looks to me, going by recent displays that the confidence is all but gone and it's the manager's job to get that back. He's looking to two young lads in Coutinho and Sterling to change something on the field for him and the team but it isn't happening. He hasn't got enough quality to call upon. So, we look flat at the moment and it's really Brendan's job to change that with the personnel he's got, and don't get me wrong, they're not all bloody awful, there is something there for Brendan to work with but he hasn't influenced games lately and he needs to start doing this too.

But this talk of clip Klopp, when certain posters made out they were staunch supporters of Rodgers; now appear happy to disregard our manager and throw him under the bus so they can bring ze German equivalent, from a league much less demanding in, instead, is rather two-faced IMO.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,361 posts | 4971 
      Reply #26847: Apr 21, 2015 01:17:12 pm
      well you tell me which manager out there better than BR who would come to us at the moment

That's not what you said though.

To think that Brendan is the only manager able to manage our side is a ridiculous statement.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,361 posts | 4971 
      Reply #26848: Apr 21, 2015 01:19:42 pm
      Hi srslfc,

firstly, I want to say I wasn't accusing you personally of throwing him under a bus per se, just that I remember you rating Lallana is all.

I know you weren't mate.

Good post by the way.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #26849: Apr 21, 2015 01:20:36 pm
      That's not what you said though.

To think that Brendan is the only manager able to manage our side is a ridiculous statement.
      That is a ridculous statment but what i mean is who is better than Brendan that WOULD manage our team at the moment where our main target is CL qualification not Klopp who is used to being in the CL every season he will go city
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,361 posts | 4971 
      Reply #26850: Apr 21, 2015 01:22:09 pm
      That is a ridculous statment but what i mean is who is better than Brendan that WOULD manage our team at the moment where our main target is CL qualification not Klopp who is used to being in the CL every season he will go city

I don't have any names to hand but if you think in all of Europe only Brendan or Rafa are capable of, and would be willing to, manage us then you are wrong.

Its a silly thing to say mate.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,615 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #26851: Apr 21, 2015 01:27:51 pm
      But to clarify i'm all for the long run and giving a manager 5 seasons to build a team.

TBF. Ivs always been in the camp of give a guy at least 3 years, maybe 4, that should be plenty to build on.

Chopping and changing every 18 months does not work, unless you are city or chavski and chuck money at it.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #26852: Apr 21, 2015 01:29:23 pm
      I don't have any names to hand but if you think in all of Europe only Brendan or Rafa are capable of, and would be willing to, manage us then you are wrong.

Its a silly thing to say mate.
      I just think they way its panned out this season might hinder us unless we can turn it around nxt season. we cant keep throwing money at the team and wasting it on potential we need ready made players this summer. i think we can still attract older players/managers but not ones that are current and successful as they will all want a CL team which at the moment we are not. To be clear i want to stick with Breandan but think we need to shake up the board and get someone to assist with deals
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #26853: Apr 21, 2015 02:08:41 pm
      . i think we can still attract older players/managers but not ones that are current and successful as they will all want a CL team which at the moment we are not.

Of course we can

Just unfortunately we are being brain washed in to believing we can't

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,361 posts | 4971 
      Reply #26854: Apr 21, 2015 02:09:32 pm
      Of course we can

Just unfortunately we are being brain washed in to believing we can't

Yep.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,561 posts | 1548 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #26855: Apr 21, 2015 02:15:33 pm
      Just reading a few posts here it's pretty obvious nobody really knows who is to blame or even to be praised for our current era transfer dealings.

That's probably because FSG don't really know either :lmao:

Have to laugh else you'll cry  :depressed:
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #26856: Apr 21, 2015 02:22:09 pm
      We've just got to ride out the tough times at the end of the strom there's a golden sky.. we hope. Chaning the manager would be daft as all that will do is make us start all over again. Brendan has a plan i'm sure that will take time to implement so we can just hope FSG continue to back him and we sort out all these contract issues so that we dont have distractions in the summer. get some older experianced players in and we will be fine
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #26857: Apr 21, 2015 02:26:57 pm
      Tactics? Transfers? Injuries? The inability to get the best from his players? What?

Dunno bbb, maybe because he lost Gotze and Lewandowksi in successive transfer windows. That's like...losing one Suarez...

Nah, still can't see the correlation, still, let's kick BR out, obviously failed to adapt to losing influential players ;)
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #26858: Apr 21, 2015 03:06:53 pm
      That's a fair point littleface.

So where/when, in your opinion, do you reckon it all went wrong, for him?  :confused-smiley-013:

All went wrong? No doubt the loss , to Bayern , of 2 of his best players and the long term loss of 4 more key players to injury, will have been a factor.
      Maybe the squad have been distracted by major players leaving and more to go next season.
      But. I remember us finishing 5 th in 1981 and we were a fantastic team with one of the greatest managers ever to be involved in football. Something just was not right that season.we conceded really poor goals and went missing in so many games.Why?
      Only for the fact we won the european cup many were asking where it was all going wrong.
      Klopp has had a poor season , but just one. The reason he is still regarded very highly all over europe is because if his CV.
      A PROVEN winner.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,561 posts | 1548 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #26859: Apr 21, 2015 03:10:23 pm
      Apparently all the papers (so 'pinch of salt') are saying the Gaffer will be allowed to splash the cash next season.

Probably rubbish but it did raise the question in my mind that you never know, perhaps FSG have realised that their policies have been an unmitigated disaster.

Can only hope
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,438 posts | 6429 
      Reply #26860: Apr 21, 2015 03:13:22 pm
      Apparently all the papers (so 'pinch of salt') are saying the Gaffer will be allowed to splash the cash next season.

Probably rubbish but it did raise the question in my mind that you never know, perhaps FSG have realised that their policies have been an unmitigated disaster.

Can only hope

I've been hoping that for the last 3 years.......won't hold my breath.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #26861: Apr 21, 2015 03:18:13 pm
      Mate sent this to me from another site that he visits.

Liverpool owners FSG will stand by Brendan Rodgers and will back him in the transfer market this summer, claim a number of British mainstream media sources this morning.
      It is claimed that Rodgers will be handed a summer transfer budget of £30m and will also be given the money from player sales.
      Borussia Dortmund's Jürgen Klopp and Naploi's Rafa Benitez have both been linked with a possible summer switch to Anfield, with Klopp's odds falling dramatically over the last few days.
      But if you believe today's reports, Rodgers will remain as Liverpool manager for the 2015-16 season.
      However, having examined those behind today's claims, we think we need to point a few things out to our members about the hacks behind the reports.
      Firstly, it would appear that the BBC (Ben Smith) and The Mirror (Dave Maddock) have been briefed. Smith has previously been used by FSG for PR while Maddock is allegedly in Ian Ayre's pocket. Either FSG and Ayre have touched base with these hacks individually or Ayre is responsible for both.
      The Liverpool Echo has a strong relationship with the club but they can't be too critical as they need the access and a supply of information. The club and The Echo often work together 'off-the-record'. James Pearce wrote today that FSG "have no plans to change manager at this stage" but we shouldn't forget that just a few weeks before Kenny Dalglish was sacked, he wrote "There is no chance Liverpool will sack Dalglish this summer".
      Today's reports have certainly been influenced by people up the chain at the club. That doesn't mean that today's suggestions that Rodgers is safe are lies, we're merely pointing out who is connected to who so you can maybe understand in future who is aligned with who.
      We believe that FSG would like to give Rodgers another season but they have been placed in a difficult situation due to Klopp's availability, just like the fans have with their own opinions. FSG favoured Klopp over Rodgers before the former Swansea manager was given the job but he wasn't available back then.
      Our sources claim Klopp is already being sounded out and if it appears unlikely that we can secure him, then FSG can maintain that Rodgers has always had their support. It should be pointed out that FSG sounded out several individuals the last time they were looking for a manager and that it doesn't mean that will appoint Klopp even if he declares his interest. But FSG need to know where they stand on several fronts before sitting and deciding Rodgers' fate.
      We should also remind you about Ian Ayre's 2 trips to Holland towards the end of last year.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #26862: Apr 21, 2015 03:35:27 pm
      Klopp it is then.

Maybe the performance at Wembley is a pointer.

I have a strange feeling that ar Brendan is a sacked man walking.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #26863: Apr 21, 2015 03:37:06 pm
      Ha ha... a possibility but leaving that possibility aside?

Tactics? Transfers? Injuries? Failure to replace Lewandowski? The inability to get the best from his players? What?  With so many now knowing so much about the man I was wondering if they could shed some light on his [Dortmund's] fall from grace. :confused-smiley-013:

Yes to all the above BBB.

Dortmund haven't just lost some of their main players they've been sold to the best team in the league, a team people seem to be under-estimating when they say it's just a 2 horse race. Wolfburg, Shalke, Leverkusen are not small teams when looked at in context, they're comparable to Spurs/Arsenal/Southampton so the competitive nature of that league is being undersold simply by the gigantic difference Bayern have established from the rest. No it's one absolute behemoth of a team vs quite a few decent teams. Bayern would walk the Premier League, of that I've absolutely no doubt, so to beat them twice in my opinion was more difficult than it would be for Dortmund to win this league. One thing we do here without doubt is over-rate how good the English sides are, there was a time when we dominated Europe but that has long since passed and now the German and Spanish teams are light years ahead of where we proclaim to be.

Just look at the failures of Arsenal/City/Chelsea in the CL and compare that to Real/Bayern/Barca and it's without question that these teams are literally in a different league in terms of quality to where we are. So Klopp's achievements to actually win the German league twice and get to the CL final along with other successes are being under sold when compared to Brendan, he's done it on the back of little to no net spend (haven't checked the figures but I believe at the time he was actually in the black) and deserves massive credit.

Why things have failed for them this season, well at the start of the season Klopp actually said that they may struggle, he was open and honest about it and he's been proven right. If you look at the injuries they've had, especially in the first half of the season it's no wonder they've struggled. Schmelzer, Bender, Sahin, Subotic, Blaszczykowski, Gundogan,, Kehl, Durm, Gyau, Kagawa, Hummels and Reus to name not even all of them who have suffered either long term or recurring injuries surely shows how they've had the heart of their team ripped to shreds and only a fool wouldn't write this season off purely on the basis of injury more than anything.

Failure to replace Lewandowski, definitely, they've tried to do a 2 for 1 with the money and it's fair to say that it's looked to have failed. I don't think Immobile is a bad striker, I think it's a combination of many things why he's struggle but it's also fair to say he's no Lewandowski.

As for tactics, well to be fair to Klopp he's tried everything under the sun to get something out of the players, different tactics time and again, many times forced to change because of injury. A pre-season which was disjointed, players returning from the world cup and injuries have left finding the 'best' formation a dream, he's just had to make do with the best for now. Things are certainly turning around for them but of course it's all far too late. So yes this season for Dortmund has been a complete write-off, the opposite of the perfect storm in many respects and as everyone at Dortmund fans and board alike had absolutely no doubts that Klopp was the right man to keep them progressing despite this season.

All of that matters not a jot though simply because he has money in the bank, he's proven what he can achieve under constraints much worse than what he would be under with FSG so for those who choose to believe that he'd be an upgrade upon Brendan I believe they have plenty of facts to justify that belief.

Quick Reply