Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3062269 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,033 posts | 3961 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #26864: Apr 21, 2015 03:45:45 pm
      Apparently all the papers (so 'pinch of salt') are saying the Gaffer will be allowed to splash the cash next season.

Probably rubbish but it did raise the question in my mind that you never know, perhaps FSG have realised that their policies have been an unmitigated disaster.

Can only hope

Until the cash is flashed it's more bullshit from JWH & Co.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4417 
      Reply #26865: Apr 21, 2015 03:46:42 pm
      Yes to all the above BBB.

Dortmund haven't just lost some of their main players they've been sold to the best team in the league, a team people seem to be under-estimating when they say it's just a 2 horse race. Wolfburg, Shalke, Leverkusen are not small teams when looked at in context, they're comparable to Spurs/Arsenal/Southampton so the competitive nature of that league is being undersold simply by the gigantic difference Bayern have established from the rest. No it's one absolute behemoth of a team vs quite a few decent teams. Bayern would walk the Premier League, of that I've absolutely no doubt, so to beat them twice in my opinion was more difficult than it would be for Dortmund to win this league. One thing we do here without doubt is over-rate how good the English sides are, there was a time when we dominated Europe but that has long since passed and now the German and Spanish teams are light years ahead of where we proclaim to be.

Just look at the failures of Arsenal/City/Chelsea in the CL and compare that to Real/Bayern/Barca and it's without question that these teams are literally in a different league in terms of quality to where we are. So Klopp's achievements to actually win the German league twice and get to the CL final along with other successes are being under sold when compared to Brendan, he's done it on the back of little to no net spend (haven't checked the figures but I believe at the time he was actually in the black) and deserves massive credit.

Why things have failed for them this season, well at the start of the season Klopp actually said that they may struggle, he was open and honest about it and he's been proven right. If you look at the injuries they've had, especially in the first half of the season it's no wonder they've struggled. Schmelzer, Bender, Sahin, Subotic, Blaszczykowski, Gundogan,, Kehl, Durm, Gyau, Kagawa, Hummels and Reus to name not even all of them who have suffered either long term or recurring injuries surely shows how they've had the heart of their team ripped to shreds and only a fool wouldn't write this season off purely on the basis of injury more than anything.

Failure to replace Lewandowski, definitely, they've tried to do a 2 for 1 with the money and it's fair to say that it's looked to have failed. I don't think Immobile is a bad striker, I think it's a combination of many things why he's struggle but it's also fair to say he's no Lewandowski.

As for tactics, well to be fair to Klopp he's tried everything under the sun to get something out of the players, different tactics time and again, many times forced to change because of injury. A pre-season which was disjointed, players returning from the world cup and injuries have left finding the 'best' formation a dream, he's just had to make do with the best for now. Things are certainly turning around for them but of course it's all far too late. So yes this season for Dortmund has been a complete write-off, the opposite of the perfect storm in many respects and as everyone at Dortmund fans and board alike had absolutely no doubts that Klopp was the right man to keep them progressing despite this season.

All of that matters not a jot though simply because he has money in the bank, he's proven what he can achieve under constraints much worse than what he would be under with FSG so for those who choose to believe that he'd be an upgrade upon Brendan I believe they have plenty of facts to justify that belief.

Very good analysis mate.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #26866: Apr 21, 2015 03:48:20 pm
      Laughable that people try to say we haven't spent under FSG.

A lot of hysteria and nonsense in here with the usual suspects regurgitating their lies and bullshit.

Whether or not we've spent wisely is another matter, and BR has to take his share of flak for that.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,924 posts | 967 
      Reply #26867: Apr 21, 2015 03:54:46 pm
      Laughable that people try to say we haven't spent under FSG.

A lot of hysteria and nonsense in here with the usual suspects regurgitating their lies and bullshit.

Whether or not we've spent wisely is another matter, and BR has to take his share of flak for that.

We have spent plenty of money, so you can't hold that against the owners. We have also wasted plenty of money and it is hard to say exactly who is at fault for that. If the majority of the failed signings are BR's doing then he needs to take the heat. If the majority of the failed signings were the transfer committee's doing then they (as well as the owners) need to take the heat. But it isn't a lack of investment that has let us down....
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #26868: Apr 21, 2015 04:07:44 pm
      Klopp it is then.

Maybe the performance at Wembley is a pointer.

I have a strange feeling that ar Brendan is a sacked man walking.

The BBC are reporting that the hierarchy have no plans to sack Brendan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32401226
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4417 
      Reply #26869: Apr 21, 2015 04:10:49 pm
      If Lloris came available why would we want to keep Migs
      If Vidal beame available why would we want to keep Allen
      If Klopp is available............... ........................ .............
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,582 posts | 1805 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #26870: Apr 21, 2015 04:11:37 pm
      Would not trust the BBC reports, ffs. they been covering up for peados for years and are Guv. mouth pieces.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,033 posts | 3961 
      Reply #26871: Apr 21, 2015 04:35:42 pm
      Klopp it is then.

Maybe the performance at Wembley is a pointer.

I have a strange feeling that Brendan is a sacked man walking.

If they sack BR and appoint Klopp the only assumption can be that JWH & Co are prepared to back him adequately, not penny-pinch and hide behind FFP as they did a puppet job on the manager to ease their tenure through, conduct which some plants/planks assure us is the only option.
      Klopp would have to be guaranteed 100% unaffected support with complete power on all
      player/disciplinary/transfer and team selection issues with no distractions from committees, DOF's or any other disruptive body.

In short Ian JWH would have to completely rethink his business strategy with regard to LFC and disassemble the tiers of unnecessary administration set up as a buffer between his company and the club, I would imagine Klopp requires direct contact with the main man; his style suggests he would not take too kindly to unqualified disruption of his methods.

None of the above comes within light years of JWH's modus operandi and the near five years of setting up his preferred model ensures it is not adaptable.
      The only feasible adjustment is a change of personal, the same rules but a new face.

FSG/JWH/NESV obviously think we're F***ing stupid and will have it all day.   
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #26872: Apr 21, 2015 04:44:06 pm
      We have spent plenty of money, so you can't hold that against the owners. We have also wasted plenty of money and it is hard to say exactly who is at fault for that. If the majority of the failed signings are BR's doing then he needs to take the heat. If the majority of the failed signings were the transfer committee's doing then they (as well as the owners) need to take the heat. But it isn't a lack of investment that has let us down....

Every single top club uses a committee or a DoF, and the manager said he has the FIRST and LAST word on players being looked at.
      We have a budget, and that places some constraints as to who we can buy, but again, pretty much every top team has the same issue.

I don't want to lay blame, I want the problems to be fixed.
      One's easy to do, the other, not so much, which is why people usually take the easy option.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,471 posts | 4593 
      Reply #26873: Apr 21, 2015 04:47:10 pm
      I think Rodgers has next season to turn it around, get a trophy with European qualification being the minimum return.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #26874: Apr 21, 2015 04:58:32 pm
      I think Rodgers has next season to turn it around, get a trophy with European qualification being the minimum return.

Thing is though Shabs.. They either have full belief in the manager or they don't.. They can't have waivering thoughts and stand still.. No point in that for me.. It shows lack of leadership

If they have doubts and another manager is available now then why wait to see if their doubts are right and risk missing out on someone who they may deem better

It's either all or nothing for me.. You either believe fully I. The man you appoint or you don't. I don't get that they can wonder or harbour doubts but let us drift
      Tadders

• 6,828 posts | 580 
      Reply #26875: Apr 21, 2015 05:07:21 pm
      BR will get another season. However, I think anyone who spends the money that FSG have, regardless of sales in, are quite within their rights to question why our league place goes down rather than up. We spend 5 years trying our arses off to get in the CL, and then go out against the worst teams in the competition, then fail against a 3rd rate Turkish side. Hardly inspiring?

how much did we spend last summer on utterly dreadful players,(apart from Emre)

BRs signings are his major issue. His defensive signings are baffling, Mignolet, Sakho, Lovren, Manquillo, Cissoko, Moreno not one of these has worked out - F**k me we had a far better back 4 when he arrived.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,313 posts | 4950 
      Reply #26876: Apr 21, 2015 05:09:29 pm
      Thing is though Shabs.. They either have full belief in the manager or they don't.. They can't have waivering thoughts and stand still.. No point in that for me.. It shows lack of leadership

If they have doubts and another manager is available now then why wait to see if their doubts are right and risk missing out on someone who they may deem better

It's either all or nothing for me.. You either believe fully I. The man you appoint or you don't. I don't get that they can wonder or harbour doubts but let us drift

Agree 100% Jon.

It's why I fear we might end up in a situation before Christmas next year as Brendan has a history of slow starts with us and if we finish this season with a wimper and go into next like we normally have done then I see no option but to change.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #26877: Apr 21, 2015 05:11:06 pm

I agree Jon, there's absolutely no point sticking with anything if there are doubts.  They clearly don't have doubts about their recruitment policy so they either think Brendan will get us there or he won't.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #26878: Apr 21, 2015 05:12:05 pm
      If they sack BR and appoint Klopp the only assumption can be that JWH & Co are prepared to back him adequately, not penny-pinch and hide behind FFP as they did a puppet job on the manager to ease their tenure through, conduct which some plants/planks assure us is the only option.Klopp would have to be guaranteed 100% unaffected support with complete power on allplayer/disciplinary/transfer and team selection issues with no distractions from committees, DOF's or any other disruptive body.In short Ian JWH would have to completely rethink his business strategy with regard to LFC and disassemble the tiers of unnecessary administration set up as a buffer between his company and the club, I would imagine Klopp requires direct contact with the main man; his style suggests he would not take too kindly to unqualified disruption of his methods.None of the above comes within light years of JWH's modus operandi and the near five years of setting up his preferred model ensures it is not adaptable. The only feasible adjustment is a change of personal, the same rules but a new face.FSG/JWH/NESV obviously think we're f**king stupid and will have it all day.

I think it's best to wait until the summer and see what goes down. I personally think BR should remain with some more backing in the transfer window and more flexibility on the type of player we can get.

Until the summer, none of us can say for sure what the intentions of FSG are and how it will pan out. I hear your frustration mate, but it does feel like we're ready to uncock the pistol before the target's appeared.

If some of the articles are true, i.e. £30m plus player sales, it's not bad but not great and I wouldn't be happy about it. It should be more like £50m plus players sales, whilst holding onto that itchy feet little rascal Sterling. Realistically, we can sell Balo (14m), Borini (10m), Lambert (1m), Lovren (8m at best), Enrique (2m) and Yesil (5m).

That's 40m. If we want a quality striker, we'd need to lay out 40-50m anyway so that's gone and then some. 20m+ for a proper CB and another 20m-30m for another midfielder, we'll need minimum 80m to bring in proper quality. That's what I would like to see, or soemthing along those lines (i.e. sell dead wood, bring in fewer quality) - reality might be completely different  ???
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #26879: Apr 21, 2015 05:14:12 pm
      Agree 100% Jon.

It's why I fear we might end up in a situation before Christmas next year as Brendan has a history of slow starts with us and if we finish this season with a wimper and go into next like we normally have done then I see no option but to change.

But if Si that they harbour any of those doubts then they have to act now.

I don't buy this

Well I'm not convinced let's hang on a few months
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #26880: Apr 21, 2015 05:22:42 pm
      If they sack BR and appoint Klopp the only assumption can be that JWH & Co are prepared to back him adequately, not penny-pinch and hide behind FFP as they did a puppet job on the manager to ease their tenure through, conduct which some plants/planks assure us is the only option.
      Klopp would have to be guaranteed 100% unaffected support with complete power on all
      player/disciplinary/transfer and team selection issues with no distractions from committees, DOF's or any other disruptive body.

In short Ian JWH would have to completely rethink his business strategy with regard to LFC and disassemble the tiers of unnecessary administration set up as a buffer between his company and the club, I would imagine Klopp requires direct contact with the main man; his style suggests he would not take too kindly to unqualified disruption of his methods.

None of the above comes within light years of JWH's modus operandi and the near five years of setting up his preferred model ensures it is not adaptable.
      The only feasible adjustment is a change of personal, the same rules but a new face.

FSG/JWH/NESV obviously think we're f**king stupid and will have it all day.
      This is exactly what they failed to do with BR. They knew from the off that BR would see his appointment as a once-in-a-lifetime opprtunity so he would cling to it without risking his privillaged post by raising particular demands as far as the roster was concerned, so he would be a convenient and of course expendable option for them hence the failure stigmatization.

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2015 10:20:18 am by nikos »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,471 posts | 4593 
      Reply #26881: Apr 21, 2015 05:23:16 pm

I don't buy this

There are no young managers who could replace Rodgers and do a better job at the moment, that's FSG achilles heel, they would get shot tomorrow if one were available.

There will be 2 guaranteed experienced coaches available this summer ready to step in and get us challenging once more in Klopp & Rafa, problem with both is that they are big personalities for the board.

Rodgers needs to open up a bit more to us rather than take all the heat for the failings of FSG, he would find a broader support amongst us if he did.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #26882: Apr 21, 2015 05:24:27 pm

Sorry just to pick this out mate but we've struggled for goals all season and keep being told we can't afford any better than what we've got already in the first team so there's no way I'd let go of Yesil.  He's still only 20, has just returned from injury and scored twice in his 2nd game back. 

He's a keeper until we know one or another about his recovery  ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,033 posts | 3961 
      Reply #26883: Apr 21, 2015 05:26:58 pm

I don't think ''belief'' plays any part in it mate.
      JWH&Co are happy with the way the manager is conducting their affairs; JWH&Co are reasonably happy with the amount of influence their appointees can muster over the manager.

None of the owner's preferences are specifically to the advantage of LFC.
      We are assured by JWH&Co this model is working and ''is in the long term interest of the club''.
      Is there anyone who believes a word the man says anymore?

If ''belief'' is up for appraisal shouldn't we be examining the party that requires that quality as an essence of it's very existence?
      The owners of our club.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,313 posts | 4950 
      Reply #26884: Apr 21, 2015 05:27:02 pm

I don't buy this

If the doubts are there I agree.

Act now and get it done.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #26885: Apr 21, 2015 05:27:14 pm
      There are no young managers who could replace Rodgers and do a better job at the moment, that's FSG achilles heel, they would get shot tomorrow if one were available.

There will be 2 guaranteed experienced coaches available this summer ready to step in and get us challenging once more in Klopp & Rafa, problem with both is that they are big personalities for the board.

Rodgers needs to open up a bit more to us rather than take all the heat for the failings of FSG, he dill find a broader support amongst us if he did.

See I don't buy that mate.

I don't think they have doubts that there is a better 'Rodgers' than the one they have.

I also don't think Rodgers wants to talk out anymore than he has because he is complicit with the structure he works in.

Personally I think people are looking for things that aren't there.

If they believed that Rodgers and that style isn't working then they need to tear it up and go for someone better.. But in my opinion they don't and won't.
      They are perfectly happy doing what they are how they are. They don't care about the same things we do.

If the doubts are there I agree.

Act now and get it done.

I don't think they do Si

And I certainly don't think they want to spend 20 million quid sacking and hiring coaching staff

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #26886: Apr 21, 2015 05:28:58 pm
      Sorry just to pick this out mate but we've struggled for goals all season and keep being told we can't afford any better than what we've got already in the first team so there's no way I'd let go of Yesil.  He's still only 20, has just returned from injury and scored twice in his 2nd game back. 

He's a keeper until we know one or another about his recovery  ;)

Agreed.
      It would be madness to get rid of him now, assuming the injuries haven't completely fu**ed him up.
      Some players just get unlucky, and I hope he can come back because he was a kid who really did look to have the makings of a special player.

Quick Reply