Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3050845 times
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #27485: Apr 26, 2015 02:12:36 am
      I think we have a decent enough squad to finish 4th, but each to their own I guess.

Anyway, with your comment on our players not of required level, this then brings me back to Rodgers, committee and last summer... do you really think with the restrictions and 117m to spend, we could not have bought any better??

I look at Chelsea, Utd, City and Arsenals squads and I don't think we are close to competing with them sadly. It must be stressed ours is a young squad that have not fully realised their potential but the disparity in the financial structures of these clubs and ours is gaping.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #27486: Apr 26, 2015 02:20:32 am

A picture tells a thousand words.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,868 posts | 704 
      Reply #27487: Apr 26, 2015 03:02:56 am
      Quote from GeorgeRed
      I believe every other top manager around last year would have won the title with us, but because we had in charge such an inexperienced one, we fu**ed up when it mattered the most, and where we should have used the brain, settling for a 0-0 draw against Chelsea, not chasing the game like we needed to recover a lead, Gerrard's slip wouldn't have happened if we had a defender covering him and not playing with the defence 40 yards from our goal.

You can believe what you want, but no coach can possibly legislate for the freak incident against Chelsea 12 months ago. These things happen in football, unfortunately it happened at the worst possible time from our pov.

Against most sides, you can even recover from such an incident, but against a side stuffed with world class players it's that bit harder. But you couldn't really lose that day tbh. If we win the game, we move on to Palace and go again. If we set up to win it and lose, you say we should have gone for a point. If we set up for a point and invite their world class superstars to walk all over a team that can't defend, you then announce to us that Rodgers has torn up a winning formula and "bottled it". Whatever the outcome, he can't win.

My view is we got into a league winning position playing free flowing attacking football. So to tear it all up with three games to go, would have guaranteed a loss from the ko rather than just before half time. Which do you prefer folks?

Quote from what-a-hit-son
      Thing is though, there are some who are just hell bent on being right. Say something against him and you want Rafa Benitez back and have always wanted Rafa Benitez back. Usually from the one poster on the forum who is more obsessed with Benitez than any body. You know who you are ;)

The voice of reason.

Rodgers has done some lovely stuff but he also done some horrendous stuff but what's fresh in my mind is the lack of steel in our team over the last month or so when it has really mattered. The lack of tactical nouse is fresh as is his ability to talk far too much and say stuff that you just know is going to come back and bite him on the arse.

I'd love him to stay and get it right but there is a niggling feeling that he hit his peak last season.

I'd be lying if I said that Jürgen Klopp hasn't turned my head when I think of his obvious qualities and Rodgers' lack of trophies and European experience.

He will probably avoid the sack, and assuming he does, it's down to how he did last season and last season alone.

Even if he didn't, talk of Klopp coming is cloud cuckooland stuff. The next lackey to put up with the cowboys allegedly "running" this place, will be the cheapest one they can find. They're business people, not football people, and 5 years on, they still only understand the bottom line, not the white line.

Their goal remains as it did then, make the top 4, nothing more. In the meantime, players have cast their judgement. Torres, Suarez, Gerrard, Carragher; to name a few are fed up with the lack of ambition and  have decided to bugger off. Sterling wants to, Skrtel hasn't made up his mind yet. The policy is to buy players to sell on rather than build a team, keep it together, and get the results. Now they can summon him off to Boston to hand him his P45 and get another skivvy to consolidate 5th spot next season, and dress it up as "progress", but they sacked a proven winner with a second choice replacement, and no replacement for Rodgers could do any better living under the conditions the bunch of yankers set for him.

Back to Rodgers. The cup semi was a complete embarrassment on his part, culminating in the declaration that the "occasion got to the players". It did no such thing. Did the occasion get to Bradford at Chelsea? Or Reading against Arsenal? Or Wimbledon? Or Bolton? Or Blackburn? If the occasion got to anyone,  it got to him. I'm used to us in semi finals and playing at Wembley, so to me anyway, it was a run of the mill cup semi final. Villa may be a bogey side, but changing tactics three times to no avail, suggests he should ask who really bore the responsibility for the outcome.

Atm we're a shambles on and off the pitch. Rodgers will take the stick but the real problem is in America, not Anfield.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #27488: Apr 26, 2015 04:44:43 am
      You're always going to look sh*t tactically with players who are not of the required level.

But Brendan was delighted with our business. So whose fault is that?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #27489: Apr 26, 2015 07:07:05 am

does not even see other issues like his defensive record.

Isn't Mignolet on for the golden glove

I genuinely get the frustration when Brendan using the word 'outstanding' I really do..
      But I just think it's a go to word for him, almost a saying.. Like we all have that we use for different situations.

Look yesterday wasn't outstanding by any means, not in my language, I use outstanding when we batter sides but from a technical viewpoint of going to a tough place like that with a manager like Pulis to dominate the ball like we did was a decent performance.. Had that been in say September or October of a season and we went there as did that you could take positives from it.. Had we got a goal or two them it would have been a really really good performance in which we went to a tough place with a manager like Pulis dominated the ball and come away with a win to nil them we'd be made up.
      I know we didn't but in the context of that tough place to go it was 'technically' a good performance

Brendan just likes using that word.. Frustrating I know

Had he said

We came here dominated the ball, played well but just didn't get the goal we needed

Then people wouldn't be as angry

That's essentially what he said but he used that word he loves

Thing is with football as we all know you can't just go and smash every team every week.. Most good sides over the years goes to tough places like WBA and do what they need to get the 3 points and move on..
      Without the poor run and had we got the goal that we needed then we would be creaming over going there and doing that.

I agree the word outstanding is misplaced but it's just one he likes to use where all of us wouldn't do.. I'm sure that we use that word sparingly over performances.. But what you need to think is what he has worked on all week in terns of control of the game then he is probably very happy with them.. They just didn't get the goal

Unfortunately I think the tide has turned on Brendan it seems.. I'm not sure how he comes back from this really

I don't think I can cope with another season of this.. I don't think he wins back those who have gone.

« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2015 07:32:31 am by Paisleydalglish »
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #27490: Apr 26, 2015 07:35:31 am
      But Brendan was delighted with our business. So whose fault is that?

To be fair Crouchie Werner said he and JH were damn proud of the work they both did in last summers window also.

Not every word needs to be analyzed...sometimes it is just talk no?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #27491: Apr 26, 2015 07:38:57 am
      To be fair Crouchie Werner said he and JH were damn proud of the work he did last summer window also.

Not every word needs to be analyzed...sometimes it is just talk no?

But Brendan was obviously delighted. He landed Lovren and Lallana who were very clearly his signings. He raved about Markovic.

So he cannot come back and blame the lack of effectiveness of the players signed when it goes tits up.

Not just his fault, but it falls on deaf ears when he is part of that recruitment process.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #27492: Apr 26, 2015 08:31:15 am

A picture tells a thousand words.

What's Pascoe thinking?

:D
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #27493: Apr 26, 2015 08:37:34 am
      Rodgers deserves another season.

I can't believe the way many of our own have 'turned on him'.

F**k being in the trenches with some of you.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #27494: Apr 26, 2015 08:55:25 am

So after three years and no trophies, at the end of a season that ended as soon as we made our worst start to a season for 50 years (was it?), any evaluation of where we are headed is deemed as being some sort of sh*t Liverpool supporter? I'm not turning on him I'm discussing his abject performance on an internet forum. If everybody was coming on here saying how boss he was and how he's done an excellent job and should be here forever it would be a very odd forum.

I've seen a lot of poor management this season and I will evaluate and ponder.

If it all goes tits up and he gets the bullet next season with nobody else of note available then I hope some will see why there was evaluation now and not another year in.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,520 posts | 1509 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #27495: Apr 26, 2015 09:14:48 am

3 seasons is long enough for any manager to be fairly assessed by anyone associated with the club. Loyalty is to the club first and foremost. Everyone has their tipping point, and mine is after 3 full seasons. Truth be told I'd rather ship out FSG than the Gaffer, but not much I can do about that.

If all this means you're alone in your trench, then so be it. If that means you're a more loyal supporter than myself, then fair enough. I actually think it's more a case of I'm willing to call for real change for the betterment of the club before you are. I'm fine with that. Different strokes.

But where's your cut off point, when do you want the Gaffer sacked, after 4 seasons, 5? I guarantee there'll be another supporter saying the same about you when you decide the Gaffer needs to walk. He'll say 'screw being in the trenches with you'. It's all very subjective but loyalty can blind a person if he's not seeing the bigger picture where the end justifies the means. Comes a time when we have to move forward and 3 seasons is that time for me.

For the record, I am doubtful of his ability to take us to the next level, and also mightily disappointed with how things have petered out for us. I do think he has earned up until Christmas at the least to turn things around though. But if FSG sack him at the end of this season for not making the ECL, then I can fully understand them doing so.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #27496: Apr 26, 2015 09:32:01 am
      Come off it, it was well known that was his transfer target.

You really think Fallows and Edwards - FSG's lapdogs - would have sounded him out? They'd have probably argued in favour of some up and coming talent from Stockport simply in order to appease the transfer policy.

Allen, Borini, Lovren, Lallana, Lambert - definitely Rodgers signings

Coutinho, Sturridge, Sakho, Moreno, Marko - definitely TC

Why would I believe Rodgers scouted Sanchez, although a world star playing for Barca is hardly scouting.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #27497: Apr 26, 2015 09:47:11 am

In what sense does he "deserve" another season? He's done F**k all with the first 3 apart from get us 2nd on one occasion and even then you can thank Luis Suarez for some of that. I haven't completely turned on him but I certainly wouldn't be arsed if he did get sacked.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #27498: Apr 26, 2015 09:51:24 am
      This thread for me sums up the club over the past 10 years. Ever since the Americans arrived there's been constant division and lack of unity.
      You see it at Anfield every second week, like a library except in instances where the crowd fancy a moan.
      Even when BR was charging towards the league title with 14 players you had a section moaning about him conceding too many goals blah blah.
      This season has been a disappointment particularly in contrast to last, however 4th, 5th, 6th place is our reality, any manager with the wage budget the club operates who does what BR did last season is mega over achieving.
      I'm very much in the camp of sticking with the manager. This season has been a massive learning curve for him and you can't blame him for that - not his fault he's never managed in Europe or been given the proceeds of the sale of one of the best players in the world and asked to spread it across 4 or 5 new recruits. He and the team will be so much stronger for this season, why throw that away on Jürgen Klopp currently mid table in Germany?

There has been many factors at work against us this season that I can see being turned around next. Many of our problems will be solved simply by having a goal scorer. If we can get one there is no way we will start next season as badly as this - and if you added an extra 6 points to the start of this season (wins say against Villa and Palace) we're still right in the top 4 mix...

Let's keep the faith people, not the time to change
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #27499: Apr 26, 2015 09:55:38 am
      In what sense does he "deserve" another season? He's done f**k all with the first 3 apart from get us 2nd on one occasion and even then you can thank Luis Suarez for some of that. I haven't completely turned on him but I certainly wouldn't be arsed if he did get sacked.

No pal Luis Suarez can thank BR for fact he now plays in Barcelona
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #27500: Apr 26, 2015 09:57:58 am

No, he can thank the owners, its them that sold him.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #27501: Apr 26, 2015 09:59:16 am
      No, he can thank the owners, its them that sold him.

And it's BR that put him on a level that Barca would consider paying the 3rd highest transfer fee in the history of football
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #27502: Apr 26, 2015 10:12:29 am
      Klopp has taken Dortmund to where they didn't even dream, they won everything on national stage, and were very close to winning the UCL also, every team in the world has a period of decline after enjoying 3-4 great years.

Comparing Klopp with Rodgers is like comparing Xavi to Joe Allen.
      Except that's not what I was doing - do yourself a favour; read it again and try to understand George. It will help in your quest not to come across as a F**k-wit.  :gt-happyup:

LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #27503: Apr 26, 2015 10:19:57 am

Not really, regardless of how BR set up... Luis still had to do the business on the pitch.

I saw a post a few days ago which stated Suarez goals had we missed them last season wouldn't have done much to alter our position.

I'd love to see how we'd have done without both his goals and assists.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #27504: Apr 26, 2015 10:27:18 am
      3 seasons is long enough for any manager to be fairly assessed by anyone associated with the club. Loyalty is to the club first and foremost. Everyone has their tipping point, and mine is after 3 full seasons. Truth be told I'd rather ship out FSG than the Gaffer, but not much I can do about that.

If all this means you're alone in your trench, then so be it. If that means you're a more loyal supporter than myself, then fair enough. I actually think it's more a case of I'm willing to call for real change for the betterment of the club before you are. I'm fine with that. Different strokes.

But where's your cut off point, when do you want the Gaffer sacked, after 4 seasons, 5? I guarantee there'll be another supporter saying the same about you when you decide the Gaffer needs to walk. He'll say 'screw being in the trenches with you'. It's all very subjective but loyalty can blind a person if he's not seeing the bigger picture where the end justifies the means. Comes a time when we have to move forward and 3 seasons is that time for me.

For the record, I am doubtful of his ability to take us to the next level, and also mightily disappointed with how things have petered out for us. I do think he has earned up until Christmas at the least to turn things around though. But if FSG sack him at the end of this season for not making the ECL, then I can fully understand them doing so.

Good post.

Given the fact we as a club are supposed to be on a 'long-term' plan with re to our owners and Brendan, I wouldn't call three years on his time here long enough; given the fact we also look to 'potential' in the transfer market.

For me, he has enough credit in the bank for another season given the fact he oversaw our best league campaign in 25 odd years. We've had more Kwality throughout our teams in the recent past (Alonso, Mascherano, Sissoko, Gerrard, Torres, Hyypia) and they still couldn't better Rodgers' achievement in the league. I'm confident that if Brendan had the right players, (I don''t want to talk about murky transfer deals at this point) he'd be able to grapple with the 'big boys' in this league.

However, as soon as the wheels start to fall off, too many look for the easy route in life rather than giving the man a chance to put the wheels back on. Yes, we've had an ordinary season even though it improves on our more recent customary 6th, 7th and 8th place finishes. And even though we've reached two semi-finals we're rightly disappointed.

It seems many hinged his worthyness on the LFC job by either making fourth, or winning a cup. Failure in both, means the closet monsters and those who'd rather 'out' the trenches (fair enough) want him gone. Short terminism is the issue here and it sort of contradicts 'longer-term' planning which is what I thought was supposed to be put in place with the arrival of Rodgers.

He has got things wrong, we've had an ordinary season - should he go on one ordinary season alone, especially after coming second in the league previously, with his first season bedding in - nah, not for me - I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and would quite happily see him in the new season with us.

I know for myself when time is up and it isn't the case for me yet but don't worry, I'll guard those trenches for you.  ;)

P.S. I like the quote at the bottom of your posting page.
      « Last Edit: Apr 26, 2015 11:12:37 am by Beerbelly »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #27505: Apr 26, 2015 10:29:51 am

Maureen can thank Hazard, Costa, Fabregas, Ivanisovic et al for Chelsea winning the league.  ;)

Jesus wept.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #27506: Apr 26, 2015 10:44:45 am
      Maureen can thank Hazard, Costa, Fabregas, Ivanisovic et al for Chelsea winning the league.  ;)

Jesus wept.

He can probably thank his owner who hasn't yet sold Hazard and will gladly pay 3 of those 4 approaching/more than £200k per week
      Also if our ill reputed transfer com had their way Diego Costa would be a liverpool player
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #27507: Apr 26, 2015 10:45:27 am

Bet you even kept a straight face when you typed that...

Brendan "Genius" Rodgers
      Comedy gold.  :lmao:

Quick Reply