Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 18th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3086793 times
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #33373: Jul 15, 2015 09:27:23 am
      I get what you're saying S@int, and one current showings that appears to be the case with Rodgers, with the exception of Coutinho and Sturridge so far, but I still have hopes for some of the signings we made last summer and the ones we have made so far this summer, I can see why last summer the Suarez money was spread around the squad, on current showing it may have been spread on the wrong players but we did need to bulk up the squad as we were short on numbers, so I can at least see why that was done.

I'm kind of underwhelmed with the signings we have made this summer to be honest with you red, it's about improving our first 11 and letting the likes of Milner, Ings, Henderson, Allen to fill in the squad and bench positions. Instead those players are deemed sufficient enough to start and that worries me a lot (IMO). Cabaye was available for 13m and Asmer Begovic for 8m, 2 players who are massive upgrades to the players we have at our disposal and would walk straight into our first team. I'm only positive about Firminho, who I think will be a good player, but with Man Utd strengthening their team with two massive signings I don't see us getting anywhere near the top 4 in the near future. I'm sorry if I sound this way, but for me we are repeating the same mistakes last summer, spending money on squad players when it is necessary to spend on money on players that are massive upgrades to the players we have so far. However, I'm willing to see what happens by end of August, if we don't sign at least 2 or 3 top players that would walk straight into the team then I don't think we have a chance next season.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,616 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #33374: Jul 15, 2015 09:35:21 am
      I'm kind of underwhelmed with the signings we have made this summer to be honest with you red, it's about improving our first 11 and letting the likes of Milner, Ings, Henderson, Allen to fill in the squad and bench positions. Instead those players are deemed sufficient enough to start and that worries me a lot (IMO). Cabaye was available for 13m and Asmer Begovic for 8m, 2 players who are massive upgrades to the players we have at our disposal and would walk straight into our first team. I'm only positive about Firminho, who I think will be a good player, but with Man Utd strengthening their team with two massive signings I don't see us getting anywhere near the top 4 in the near future. I'm sorry if I sound this way, but for me we are repeating the same mistakes last summer, spending money on squad players when it is necessary to spend on money on players that are massive upgrades to the players we have so far. However, I'm willing to see what happens by end of August, if we don't sign at least 2 or 3 top players that would walk straight into the team then I don't think we have a chance next season.

Mate, No offence but Clyne, milner & ferminio all walk into our 1st 11.

Arguably, Ings & Origi also walk into our 1st 11 at this point as well.

So the 1st team has been improved, and some who got games last season are now squad players.

#improvements

IMO. too many people are wanting player they think are better, or they have bought for thier fifa or champ manager teams.

personally Im happy with who we have bought, and if we do get benteke Im happy with him as well, defo upgrade on likes of borini, lambo & balo.

Im interested to see if we strengthen i central MF, another holding player perhaps, but we shall see.

We also have to be careful not to buy too many players so as too un settel the sqaud even more, most of last seasons signigs will be much better this season, and when the likes of studger & young flanno come back it will be like having new players.

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #33375: Jul 15, 2015 09:39:43 am

So the 1st team has been improved, and some who got games last season are now squad players.

#improvements

IMO. too many people are wanting player they think are better, or they have bought for thier fifa or champ manager teams.

personally Im happy with who we have bought, and if we do get benteke Im happy with him as well, defo upgrade on likes of borini, lambo & balo.

Im interested to see if we strengthen i central MF, another holding player perhaps, but we shall see.

We also have to be careful not to buy too many players so as too un settel the sqaud even more, most of last seasons signigs will be much better this season, and when the likes of studger & young flanno come back it will be like having new players.

None taken,

any RB is better than Johnson, heck if we bought Carl Jenkinson he would be better than Johnson. I haven't watched Clyne much so I will reserve my judgment. as for Milner, I don't think he is better than Henderson and actually they are similar in nature with their hard work, another same ability type of player.

Cabaye is a fabulous player, he is better than the two (and he is sh*te in FM) and I'm shocked that we didn't go for him when Crystal Palace snapped him up for 13m, when we paid 25m for Lallana!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #33376: Jul 15, 2015 10:16:43 am

#improvements

How do Origi and Ings walk into our 1st 11? I get the impression that you wouldn't be too bothered if we didn't sign another striker? 
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,616 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #33377: Jul 15, 2015 10:20:08 am
      None taken,

any RB is better than Johnson, heck if we bought Carl Jenkinson he would be better than Johnson. I haven't watched Clyne much so I will reserve my judgment. as for Milner, I don't think he is better than Henderson and actually they are similar in nature with their hard work, another same ability type of player.

Cabaye is a fabulous player, he is better than the two (and he is sh*te in FM) and I'm shocked that we didn't go for him when Crystal Palace snapped him up for 13m, when we paid 25m for Lallana!

Milner is replacing Gerrard though, and not the gerrard at his prime, cos obv. he is not better than that, the average gerrard we have seen all too often past couple of seaons, who has been off the pace.

Also Clyne opens up the MF to bring can into it, which already makes that look much better.

Trio of Hendo, Milner & Can will probably be 1st choice next season. Defo improvement IMO.

Thing is there are probably loads of players who are qrguably better than soem we have, but we have to trust BR & the board.

Imagine if we signed all the players the fans wanted. ;D.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,616 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #33378: Jul 15, 2015 10:21:43 am
      How do Origi and Ings walk into our 1st 11? I get the impression that you wouldn't be too bothered if we didn't sign another striker? 

Walk into it ahead of lambo, borini & Balo. Easily after last seasons performances from them.

But we do need aother striker, if not benteke, then somebody who is experienced international and can run and is not lazy. ;D.

Id rather play young lads from u-19s squad than than borini & Balo.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #33379: Jul 15, 2015 10:40:06 am

without Sturidge, at the moment they probably do!

Ings better than Borini - YES
      Origi better than Lambert - hes quicker, so based only on that he plays for me...

prefer them both to Mario too
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,616 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #33380: Jul 15, 2015 10:48:02 am
      without Sturidge, at the moment they probably do!

Ings better than Borini - YES
      Origi better than Lambert - hes quicker, so based only on that he plays for me...

prefer them both to Mario too

Aye none better than studger, but until he is 100% fit, he is not even in the equation.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #33381: Jul 15, 2015 10:52:52 am
      Walking into the team are players like Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Henderson, Coutinho and Firmino. Anywhere else is up for grabs IMO. It also depends on the formation that the manager chooses to use, it could be that he only uses 1 striker.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #33382: Jul 15, 2015 11:05:26 am
      Congratulations to the Boss on his first Trophy win as LFC manager.

;D

:lmao: you cheeky bugger you.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,616 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #33383: Jul 15, 2015 11:42:44 am
      Walking into the team are players like Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Henderson, Coutinho and Firmino. Anywhere else is up for grabs IMO. It also depends on the formation that the manager chooses to use, it could be that he only uses 1 striker.

Add milner to that, he will be 1st choice MF with Hendo for most games.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,616 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #33384: Jul 15, 2015 11:45:11 am

;D

Its true though.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #33385: Jul 15, 2015 12:19:34 pm
      The game is about scoring more goals than the opposition and I don't think we have enough goals in this team. Perhaps 10/15 from our defenders, 10/15 or so from our midfield which leaves our strikers who will perhaps bring in 30 between them (allowing Sturridge will only get half a season ?) . 50/55 goals possibly boosted by perhaps another 5 if Firmino if he hits the ground running and gets more than the 5 or 6 I was allowing.

We scored 52 last season, have lost our two top scorers and I just don't see the players we have signed making up the gap to the 70 or 80 goals you need for a title challenge or the 65 or so needed for top 4. 

Maybe our defence will be a little tighter ?

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #33386: Jul 15, 2015 12:27:31 pm

If it had been any of our illustrious managers from the past; you know it (the trophy) would have been counted, so why not BR?

:D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,616 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #33387: Jul 15, 2015 12:28:51 pm
      The game is about scoring more goals than the opposition and I don't think we have enough goals in this team. Perhaps 10/15 from our defenders, 10/15 or so from our midfield which leaves our strikers who will perhaps bring in 30 between them (allowing Sturridge will only get half a season ?) . 50/55 goals possibly boosted by perhaps another 5 if Firmino if he hits the ground running and gets more than the 5 or 6 I was allowing.

We scored 52 last season, have lost our two top scorers and I just don't see the players we have signed making up the gap to the 70 or 80 goals you need for a title challenge or the 65 or so needed for top 4. 

How many did borini, lambo & Balo get last season in the leaue? 1 or 2 each ?

The new guys cant be any worse than that.

Sterling has been replaced by ferminio, he has to score at lest same as sterling.

Gerrard got us a fair amount of goals, but he took penners & free kicks, somebody else wills tep up to them.

Im confident likes of hendo, milner, coutinho, lallana can score more goals this season, and maybe likes of Ibe start to add goals.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,616 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #33388: Jul 15, 2015 12:36:11 pm
      ffs. in the league;  Balo - 1 goal, Borini - 1 goal & Rickie Lambo 2 goals.

fyi.

Borini - 38 app & 3 goals. (3 seaons)
      Balotelli - 28 app & 4 goals. (1 season)
      Lambert - 36 app & 3 goals. (1 season)

There is no way that the new guys can be any worse than that lot. Has there been a worse bunch of strikers in our history. ?

RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #33389: Jul 15, 2015 01:00:33 pm

A number of Gerrards goals came from set pieces - so a penalty taker will take care of that

Sterling has scored 20 goals over the last two season - Firmino scored 32 goals over the same period

Add in Origi , Ings and hopefully someone like Benteke instead of Lambert, Borini and Balotelli ( who scored 4 )

Plus Sturridge hopefully returning then can see all that adding up to an extra 30 goals next season
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #33390: Jul 15, 2015 01:11:23 pm
      Balotelli scored 28 goals in the two seasons before he came to us - scored 1

Lambert scored 26 goals in the two seasons before he came to us - scored 2

What makes you think Origi who scored 13 goals in the two seasons before he came to us, Ings who scored 32 goals in the two seasons before he came to us (only 11 in the prem ) will do better? (Although I agree they could hardly do worse :D )

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,616 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #33391: Jul 15, 2015 01:15:01 pm

What makes you think Origi who scored 13 goals in the two seasons before he came to us, Ings who scored 32 goals in the two seasons before he came to us (only 11 in the prem ) will do better? (Although I agree they could hardly do worse :D )

aye but both of them were penalty takers for their previous clubs, and Balo took free kicks.

Probably half the goals they scored are from open play.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,616 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #33392: Jul 15, 2015 01:15:38 pm
      Diff. with Origi & Ings, both been playing with comparably sh1te teams, and still scoring.
      RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #33393: Jul 15, 2015 01:19:11 pm

Balotelli was in serie A - the last season he was in the Prem he scored 1

Origi and Ings both did well in teams not at the top but both will be far better suited to us than Lambert and Balotelli.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #33394: Jul 15, 2015 01:28:29 pm

Because hopefully, Rodgers will have learnt from his mistakes and we'll get to see a balanced team with players playing in their position and played correctly!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,616 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #33395: Jul 15, 2015 01:36:31 pm
      Because hopefully, Rodgers will have learnt from his mistakes and we'll get to see a balanced team with players playing in their position and played correctly!

He must have eh. must have.

Quick Reply