Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Brendan Rodgers playing style - who is likely to be in or out of favour?

Read 20157 times
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Re: Brendan Rodgers playing style - who is likely to be in or out of favour?
      Reply #23: May 31, 2012 12:33:30 pm
      Adam, Carragher & Dirk are the ones who will be twitching for me.

Carroll will be fine. Danny Graham is hardly Messi on the floor & has been a regular for most of the season for Rodgers. In fact Carroll has bettter technique than Graham for me. Think he can adapt to whatever system Rodgers plays, I still don't buy in to this perception that anyone over 6 feet can't integrate in to a pass and move system.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #24: May 31, 2012 12:54:27 pm
      Suso is perfect for this.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #25: May 31, 2012 12:54:31 pm

Reina..

Will love a higher line that he can be behind and start a lot of moves and be a "sweeper keeper"

This sticks out for me mate.

The high line alone gives us another 9-12 points I reckon.

Reina will love playing with the high line again aswell. Made a few errors last season yes but a hell of a lot of goals we conceded came from close range giving him little or no chance.

We defended far too deep at times and it would be nice to see us actually control games again and not go all out attack and then all out defend.

Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #26: May 31, 2012 12:56:42 pm
      I think Henderson will be f**king amazing in this style of play. I look forward to it. :)

Well he is the master of the 5 yard square pass so I look forward to seeing him make many more of those!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #27: May 31, 2012 01:01:59 pm
      Another thing with Mr Rodgers, he's come from a team who's transfer record was 3.5 million quid. I wonder how many times he's seen a player who he's thought "F**k me he'd be perfect for our system", only to find out he'd cost 5.5 mill or something and therefore be out of their budget hitting zone. Equally, maybes there's players who are 10 mill plus who'd fit his way like a glove and now he'll potentially be able to ask about them at least. They aren't forced to be big name superstars either, there isn't much big in any way shape or form about Joe Allon and Leon Brittain.
      axelharco
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #28: May 31, 2012 01:11:26 pm
      I too think Kuyt will leave, he's been a great servant but I'm sure it's now time for him to move on. I lean towards agreeing with the guys saying that Carroll may struggle, but I'm sure he will get a chance next season but if he doesn't bring a good return of goals again his position will be hugely under threat. I'd like to think Rodgers will give Sterling and Texeira game time next season, especially if players like Downing and Adam again fail to perform early on in the season. I think it's a good thing that these players that haven't been a success i.e Downing are not Rodgers' signings so I presume he won have any obligation to persevere with them if they don't perform. Agger will fit into this system perfectly, I fully believe he is one of the best all round defenders in the world. Henderson will flourish as will Joe Cole if he gets the chance. Read an interview with him a week or so ago, seemed really humble and determined to prove himself. Sadly, he's definitely need to take a pay cut. I'm cautiously optimistic about this appointment...
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #29: May 31, 2012 01:25:12 pm
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #30: May 31, 2012 01:45:01 pm
      I strongly disagree with the overall view of Kuyt in a passing team, I think it's overly simplistic. I think his 'first touch' is not half as bad as some make it out to be, and that he is actually one of the most intelligent players in our squad, who could easily play in such style. You just need to think of how good was his combination with Gerrard and Torres when we were playing our best, or how well he plays with the dynamic attacking players of the Dutch team.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #31: May 31, 2012 01:48:38 pm
      Surprised to see people knocking Spearing over his short passing. That is one facet to his game that I think he thrives in. I think Kuyt would be ok too, he and Suarez have a good link up when they hit it off and one of Rodgers main philosophies is a high pressing game when his side loses the ball. Dirk Kuyt is one of the most hard working players in the world.

Said yesterday that Joe Cole and Alberto Aquilani could be about to become key figures for the team, if they have the fitness levels to press off the ball as well as wanting to play a good short passing game.

Charlie Adam is going to struggle more than most I'd say. Keeping the ball is not his forte, nor is pressing when in defence. Don't think he will be able to or particularly want to adapt his game, because his weakness is also his strength, that being the long raking pass that if it comes off creates chances.

Andy Carroll is not going to be seeing much of the ball in the air from deep positions unless there are 30 seconds to go and we are looking for a goal. He is going to have to really sharpen up on the ground to cut it here.

Stewart Downing is going to have to improve a helluva lot too. Brendan will not want him crossing the ball in with his head down any longer. He will also not want him letting his midfield runner go in defence which he does all too often for my liking. Going to have to double his effort next season at the very least.

Jamie Carragher will probably be the highest profile casualty. We all know what Carras game is about and that is 'no nonsense' clear your lines football. HOpefully for him he plays that way because he knows his own limitations rather than that being his footballing philosophy, or I doubt Rodgers will want anything to do with him in a coaching sense either.

Raheem Sterling has a great chance I think. Reminds me very much of both Nathan Dyer and Scott Sinclair. In a passing system, you need players who can commit defenders and get past them in order to provide you the impetus. Otherwise you are just passing for the sake of passing. Take Messi and Alexis out of Barca and you would have a very frustrating football team.

It is certainly going to be exciting to see who makes the grade and who gets the chop. Also going to be very interesting to see who we bring in. Now that it looks like we have our new man, I'm already excited for next season.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #32: May 31, 2012 01:52:39 pm
      I strongly disagree with the overall view of Kuyt in a passing team, I think it's overly simplistic. I think his 'first touch' is not half as bad as some make it out to be, and that he is actually one of the most intelligent players in our squad, who could easily play in such style. You just need to think of how good was his combination with Gerrard and Torres when we were playing our best, or how well he plays with the dynamic attacking players of the Dutch team.

I don't think his touch is the issue Diego.. I think that he doesn't have the pace to be one of the wide options in how Rodgers seems to like to play and I don't think he will want to be bit part.. I think at this stage he won't get a regular start and that will be the main reason he moves on.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #33: May 31, 2012 02:04:44 pm
      In my Opinion,

Goers....Kuyt,Carra,Downing,Adam,maxi,maybe Spearing

Stayers.... Reina,Johnson,Enrique,Skrtle,Agger,Gerrard,Lucas,Shelvey,Henderson,Carroll,Coates,Suarez, possibly Spearing

Loanee's....Cole and Aquilani, not sure tbh, we could sell, then promote       from ressies,saving some dollar

Promotee's.....Sterling, Suso, Adorjan, Texieria might be to early for him, but maybe,

New Un's......  any f**ker's guess right now,but would love Siggurdsson, Sinclair, Joe Allen and 2-3 top drawer signings,

Everyone else will be Bricking it !    YNWA
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #34: May 31, 2012 02:05:51 pm
      I don't think his touch is the issue Diego.. I think that he doesn't have the pace to be one of the wide options in how Rodgers seems to like to play and I don't think he will want to be bit part.. I think at this stage he won't get a regular start and that will be the main reason he moves on.

Pace is an issue indeed, Dyer and Sinclair are both very fast. But other than that, I believe Kuyt is well suited to a high pressing, passing team. He's intelligent and his movement is great. He could be technically better, but the fact he's always getting into good positions is an indication of his intelligence. I'd prefer to keep him as a squad option and personally I haven't written him off yet, he had a poor season but I think there's still a lot to come from him. As you said I'm not sure if he would like that squad role though.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #35: May 31, 2012 02:13:07 pm
      Pace is an issue indeed, Dyer and Sinclair are both very fast. But other than that, I believe Kuyt is well suited to a high pressing, passing team. He's intelligent and his movement is great. He could be technically better, but the fact he's always getting into good positions is an indication of his intelligence. I'd prefer to keep him as a squad option and personally I haven't written him off yet, he had a poor season but I think there's still a lot to come from him. As you said I'm not sure if he would like that squad role though.

I think Kuyt is the type of player who suffers more than most when not playing every game. OK he's not quick but we have Johnson bombing past him with Kuyt cutting inside for that, and as we will be pressing much higher up the pitch I don't see it as an issue.
      His other qualities more than make up for what some see as his technical deficiencies.

Adam and Downing have much more to fear regarding their long term futures at the club.
      Henderson will fit right in, providing he plays more central.
      Carroll is much better on the deck than people think as well.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #36: May 31, 2012 02:14:00 pm
      I don't think Kuyt will necessarily suffer because of his game, but I do think he will move on because he is getting on and not as fit as before.

I think Adam, Spearing and Henderson will all struggle. Yes they can pass a bit but they're not as technically gifted as others in the team and haven't offered enough to keep them. Caroll Still has potential I say but he really has to work hard over summer to improve his first touch and passing.

Carra knows his time is coming to a close, but he won't mind, he'll stay in some coaching capacity hopefully.

I think Downing could thrive under a new system if he just f***ing looks up before crossing every now and then. He has the passing ability and the pace to fit into Rogers' style of play, just needs a bit more confidence in his own ability.

I think Johnson, Enrique, Agger, Aquilani, Cole, Gerrard, Suarez with stand-by youngsters such as Shelvey, Coates and Sterling were made for a fluid, passing, technical game that is the hallmark of Rogers. All these are very comfortable on the ball, intelligent (maybe not Cole :) ) and good passers of the ball. I'm excited about the prospect to be honest.

It also make Lucas' come back that much more important to add balance to the team. Not just his defensive capabilities but his game intelligence and positioning has improved a lot, and when you have a fluid team movement, you need an intelligent anchor to spot gaps and close down opposition.

That pretty much leaves the right wing as a concern, which can be temporarily covered by Bellamy, but need a speedy winger in the mould of Adam Johnson to give us more threat, and a top striker. We'd be easily challenging for top four then I'd say. Exciting times.
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #37: May 31, 2012 02:27:49 pm
      I personally think Maxi, Kuyt, and Bellamy will all fit into Rodger's system very well.  Kuyt would fit this system as the main CF and not as a winger.  However, I can very well see all 3 being moved on this summer.  I think the move by FSG to appoint a young manager is a statement that they are looking to build a team around youth that can develop together and grow into a top team.  That being said, I can see Kuyt, Maxi, Bellers, Cole, Aqua, Adam, Spearo, and Carra all being potential casualties of the managerial change. 

I think Downing will be given another chance, and he may well return from the Euro's with a new lease on life.  I honestly think a change of system and tactics will help his game and he could have a very solid season next year. 

Youngsters such as Suso, Sterling, Adjoran, and potentially Teixeira could all make a transition into the senior team in attacking positions, while Jack Robinson could well be handed more minutes at LB.  I think Robo is pure class at LB and could well take over the 1st team position from Enrique in the next 2-3 seasons. 

Another player who hasn't been mentioned but could well come back from loan is Dani Pacheco.  The lad is very technically gifted with the ball at his feet and would fit a pass and move style to a "T".

Additions we need to make are clearly for another CDM to provide cover for Lucas, another penetrating winger, another CF to add depth and different options, and a CB to replace Carra. 
      WildIRL
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts |
      Reply #38: May 31, 2012 02:29:45 pm
      @ozi_wozzy - Henderson is not technically gifted?

Jezz I would of said he is one of the most technically gifted players.

Horses for courses!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #39: May 31, 2012 02:38:16 pm

Some good points and I can see where you are coming from.

Just not sure whether his wages over a year and whatever we get for him could be used on somebody who's not going to be a squad player.

harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #40: May 31, 2012 02:41:45 pm
      @ozi_wozzy - Henderson is not technically gifted?

Jezz I would of said he is one of the most technically gifted players.

Horses for courses!

I would sargue that Hendo is fundamentally sound, but not technically gifted.  He has good ball control and his short/long passing is good, but he lacks the ability to perform a really crafty turn to lose a marker or play himself out of a tight spot and this is something I think is necessary for playing the tiki-taka style of football.  Stevie has this ability.... as do Joe Cole and Aquilani, but I haven't seen this from Hendo. 
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #41: May 31, 2012 02:42:16 pm
      In my Opinion,

Goers....Kuyt,Carra,Downing,Adam,maxi,maybe Spearing

Stayers.... Reina,Johnson,Enrique,Skrtle,Agger,Gerrard,Lucas,Shelvey,Henderson,Carroll,Coates,Suarez, possibly Spearing

Loanee's....Cole and Aquilani, not sure tbh, we could sell, then promote       from ressies,saving some dollar

Promotee's.....Sterling, Suso, Adorjan, Texieria might be to early for him, but maybe,

New Un's......  any f**ker's guess right now,but would love Siggurdsson, Sinclair, Joe Allen and 2-3 top drawer signings,

Everyone else will be Bricking it !    YNWA

Yes.... Lets just go sign most of Swansea's squad.... no thanks
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #42: May 31, 2012 02:58:28 pm

If you read my post it says i would not mind Siggurddsson, Sinclair or Allen, that's 1,2 3 players that could fit into Rodgers style, hardly the whole f***in team, if your going to have a pop at my posts have the decency to get it right,  otherwise dont f***in bother, and keep that hole in your face shut.
      zxZXzx
      • Forum John Toshack

• 254 posts |
      Reply #43: May 31, 2012 03:04:06 pm
      If you read my post it says i would not mind Siggurddsson, Sinclair or Allen, that's 1,2 3 players that could fit into Rodgers style, hardly the whole f***in team, if your going to have a pop at my posts have the decency to get it right,  otherwise dont f***in bother, and keep that hole in your face shut.

Here we go
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #44: May 31, 2012 03:06:38 pm

Didn't use any offensive language myself, so a little hurt by this outburst. Hmmmmm
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #45: May 31, 2012 03:08:31 pm
      I honestly would only take Sigurdson, and he's not part of Swansea's squad.

Quick Reply