Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Martin Skrtel (Man City)

Read 21304 times
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Martin Skrtel (Man City)
      Jun 20, 2012 11:20:53 pm
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-news-liverpools-martin-skrtel-904581

First big test looms for new boss Rodgers as the champions look for a cheaper alternative to AC Milan's Ā£35m-rated Thiago Silva

Going, going, gong?: Skrtel wants to play in the Champions League
      John Powell
      Brendan Rodgers faces his first major battle as Liverpool boss with Manchester City ready to move for defender Martin Skrtel.

In a classic case of good news bad news for Rodgers, centre-half and Denmark Euro 2012 star Daniel Agger has expressed his desire to extend his Anfield contract.

But the other half of last seasonā€™s impressive central defensive partnership, Skrtel, is the focus of serious interest from Roberto Manciniā€™s title winners.

And that will present a big test for Rodgers, who will meet the defender in an attempt to persuade him to remain with Ā­Liverpool.

Skrtel got married at the weekend and has put any question of his future on hold until he returns from his honeymoon in a fortnight.

City though, are preparing a Ā£20million bid, with boss Roberto Mancini settled on the Slovakia defender as his main transfer target after being priced out of a move for Brazil star Thiago Silva.

His Italian club AC Milan want Ā£35m for the 27-year old, and Mancini sees the dependable Skrtel - voted Player of the Year at the Reds last season - as a better bet.

Siva and gold: Milan's valuation for the Brazilian has put even City off
      Getty

After four years at Anfield, he has also been the subject of interest from moneybags Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala.

Yet City have the financial muscle to compete with any club, and the defender certainly hasnā€™t ruled out a move to the Premier League champions, after admitting his frustration at Liverpoolā€™s eighth-placed finish and failure to reach the Ā­Champions League.

The Reds were hoping to persuade Skrtel to pen a new contract, but it seems it is Agger who will be first to extend his current deal, after he returned from Euro 2012 ready to negotiate.

ā€œItā€™s no secret that Iā€™m happy to be in Liverpool. Otherwise, I would not have been there for six years,ā€ he told sporten.dk.

ā€œI have not yet discussed a new contract but if they come with an offer I will surely sit down and talk with them. If they ask, I will listen.ā€

Alberto Aquilani will also return to Liverpool after failing to agree terms for his release.

The misfit Italian midfielder wanted a free transfer AND a pay-off to leave Anfield, and understandably, the Reds have baulked at that deal.

Rodgers though, wants rid of the Italy international after his failure to settle in the Premier League.

The new boss will negotiate hard in the coming weeks to get his Ā£80,000-plus a week wages off the books.

Lets hope they just get Silva >:(
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Re: Martin Skrtel (Man City)
      Reply #1: Jun 20, 2012 11:34:46 pm
      Ā£20 million? You can get fu**ed Man City.

We cannot sell Skrtel, we would be a midtable club if we sell our best players on the end of a disappointing league performance, we must keep him at all costs.

We could sell him for Ā£100 million, and we wouldn't see more then Ā£10-15 on a replacement. We must keep him.

If Skrtel asks to leave, then we shouldn't get a penny less than Ā£35 million, simply because he's worth every penny. He's the only defender we've got who I feel comfortable with in the long term. Agger, yes, but he has his injury problem.

They paid Ā£22 million for Lescott, Skrtels twice as good, and twice as consistent.

F**k this moneyball theory before anyone mentions it, we want to be the best, we keep our best players.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #2: Jun 20, 2012 11:55:53 pm
      Whatever. If Skrtel wants to F**k off, he can go.

We have Dagger.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #3: Jun 20, 2012 11:59:24 pm
      25 milly for Skrtel and you can have him.

Having heard interviews in the past and he has never seemed unhappy or one to leave to get a shot at CL football.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #4: Jun 21, 2012 12:00:08 am
      Whatever. If Skrtel wants to F**k off, he can go.

We have Dagger.

Well, Dagger can't player in two centre back positions at once.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #5: Jun 21, 2012 12:02:49 am
      Well, Dagger can't player in two centre back positions at once.

Get Modric...
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #6: Jun 21, 2012 12:05:37 am

Yawn...

Really does seem quite low when I make a perfectly valid point that Agger wouldn't be able to play in both centre back roles, and you reply with that childish reply.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #7: Jun 21, 2012 12:14:02 am
      Yawn...

Really does seem quite low when I make a perfectly valid point that Agger wouldn't be able to play in both centre back roles, and you reply with that childish reply.

Does it not seem at all logical to you that we'd simply buy another CB with the Ā£20m we'd supposedly get?

No? Okay. Perhaps I'm thinking too far ahead here.

Transfers are complicated.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #8: Jun 21, 2012 12:15:32 am
      City can F**k right off. Go and raid Arsenal again. We're off limits.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #9: Jun 21, 2012 12:15:53 am
      Does it not seem at all logical to you that we'd simply buy another CB with the Ā£20m we'd supposedly get?

No? Okay. Perhaps I'm thinking too far ahead here.

Transfers are complicated.

Okay, name me a centre back who we can realistically get with 20 million who's as good as Skrtel?

It's a lot harder than you think it is.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #10: Jun 21, 2012 12:18:32 am
      There is no way we should be selling Skrtel to Citeh for less than they paid for Lescott.

I'd rather we kept him too. It sends out the wrong signal if we sell one of our best players and it could start a stream of transfer requests being handed in.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #11: Jun 21, 2012 12:27:19 am
      Okay, name me a centre back who we can realistically get with 20 million who's as good as Skrtel?

It's a lot harder than you think it is.

Sakho, Subotic.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #12: Jun 21, 2012 12:30:37 am

Okay:

Why would PSG sell Sakho? They've got more money than us and he is a key player for them. They almost won the title last season and are splashing the cash trying to win it.

Why would Bourssia Dortmund sell Subotic, when they've won the German league? He's one of their key players.

Also, they are both in the Champions League. We are not. Why would they want to come here?

Also, both players would probably cost a lot more than 20 million.

You clearly didn't think this through very well.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #13: Jun 21, 2012 12:37:37 am
       For 20-25 mill I'd take it. He's just had his best ever season by a country mile, and when players such as Gary Cahill can be picked up for about a third of that it's not bad business. Skrtels a good defender these days and he's just had a good season, but he's no world-beater, not for me anyway.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #14: Jun 21, 2012 12:45:39 am
      Okay:

Why would PSG sell Sakho? They've got more money than us and he is a key player for them. They almost won the title last season and are splashing the cash trying to win it.

Why would Bourssia Dortmund sell Subotic, when they've won the German league? He's one of their key players.

Also, they are both in the Champions League. We are not. Why would they want to come here?

Also, both players would probably cost a lot more than 20 million.

You clearly didn't think this through very well.

Going by your logic, why would anyone want to come here when they could go to a team playing, or in, Champions League football? A completely flawed and perplexing argument, that carries no momentum whatsoever.

Champions League football is the top level, yes, but it's never a necessity for most players - this football club still has major pull, with or without CL football. Players want to come here for our history, grandeur, belief and fight. We're still an incredibly attractive proposition and you're clearly failing to realise that.

Why did Suarez come here when we couldn't offer him CL football? Why haven't more high-profile players like Gerrard, Agger, Reina et al left? Because of the reasons above.

So yes, I do believe we can acquire quite a few players should we set out to get them. Those two names that I mentioned I simply pulled out of nowhere. I could pull plenty more if you so wish.

My point is, Skrtel is replaceable. It isn't difficult to find a good CB these days, and they're not all that expensive in comparison to midfielders and strikers.

As for suggesting one player can play two roles, how is that in any way, shape or form a valid point? What are you trying to achieve by suggesting that? If you want to berate me for making "childish replies", take a look at yourself first, pal.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #15: Jun 21, 2012 12:46:46 am
      Hope we keep Skrtel. Can't see how we could sell him and be better off as a result. Agger is far to injury prone to be building a defence around and Carra is going to be yet another year older and a yard slower. That would leave us with Seb Co.

Hate having to buy defenders because usually it takes them a while to settle in and it just cocks everything up for a little while. I'm sure there are options around but I just can't see how we could benefit.

If I had Ā£20M to spend it would be on Ogbonna from Torino.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #16: Jun 21, 2012 12:50:16 am
      Ā£30m and we can start talking.

But we shouldn't really be looking to sell him at all unless there is a world class replacement coming in.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #17: Jun 21, 2012 12:51:03 am
      Some sort of swap and cash with Adam Johnson wouldn"t be a bad days work.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #18: Jun 21, 2012 12:52:06 am
      Some sort of swap and cash with David Silva wouldn"t be a bad days work.

fixed ;)
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #19: Jun 21, 2012 12:55:52 am
      they can throw in Silva aswell fletch. ;D
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #20: Jun 21, 2012 12:57:27 am
      Going by your logic, why would anyone want to come here when they could go to a team playing, or in, Champions League football? A completely flawed and perplexing argument, that carries no momentum whatsoever.

Champions League football is the top level, yes, but it's never a necessity for most players - this football club still has major pull, with or without CL football. Players want to come here for our history, grandeur, belief and fight. We're still an incredibly attractive proposition and you're clearly failing to realise that.

Why did Suarez come here when we couldn't offer him CL football? Why haven't more high-profile players like Gerrard, Agger, Reina et al left? Because of the reasons above.

So yes, I do believe we can acquire quite a few players should we set out to get them. Those two names that I mentioned I simply pulled out of nowhere. I could pull plenty more if you so wish.

My point is, Skrtel is replaceable. It isn't difficult to find a good CB these days, and they're not all that expensive in comparison to midfielders and strikers.

As for suggesting one player can play two roles, how is that in any way, shape or form a valid point? What are you trying to achieve by suggesting that? If you want to berate me for making "childish replies", take a look at yourself first, pal.

I never said we couldn't sign anyone who has champions league football. I'm saying we won't be able to sign star players from the German league champions, nor can we sign players from the Man City of France.
      Unless the player makes it known he wants to leave.

We signed Suarez, the difference being, he was in the middle of a long term ban, he was playing in Holland and wanted a step up into a better league, and Ajax wanted the money. That is completely different.

Mentioning that Agger can't play in two positions is certainly a valid point. It relates to the fact we need two quality centre backs who can play alongside each other.

Your response was childish, it has absolutely no relevance or point whatsoever. My point was more valid then yours.

I tell you what, how many here think we'll be able to sign Sakho or Subotic? How many here think we'll be able to sign Gotze? Maybe we'll sign Xavi too. That's what your basically saying.

Yes, we can sign top players from top clubs, but we can't sign players from teams who are winning titles and are a key figure in the team.

When Eden Hazard was getting linked around, practically everyone said it as an unrealistic dream that he would sign for us. It's even more unlikely Sakho, or Subotic would leave a title winning team to join us. Unless he was unhappy, which I highly doubt.

This is the end of the debate. I don't want to go off topic, but the majority of the forum understands that we won't be able to attract players who are a vital component to a title winning team...yet!
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #21: Jun 21, 2012 12:59:06 am
      Some sort of swap and cash with Adam Johnson wouldn"t be a bad days work.

i would start following netball. this will never happen though. it would be too hard to accept the club is still fu**ed. but that wont happen because none of our best players will go.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #22: Jun 21, 2012 01:08:44 am
      they can throw in Silva aswell fletch. ;D

Yeh that'd be just about fair :)

Quick Reply