Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Suarez in English football:- Is he a Messi/Ronaldo waiting to happen?

Read 20514 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Suarez in English football:- Is he a Messi/Ronaldo waiting to happen?
      Reply #138: Jan 05, 2013 07:01:14 pm
      Am I the only sane person participating in this thread?!
      I am. :)
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #139: Jan 06, 2013 02:42:11 am
      Compare their CA and WC performances and, no matter how you look at it, goals, results, titles, whatever, Suárez beats Messi.

And then, they took the sentence and there was snipping. And one lonely snippet (lost and meaningless without the other half) was selected by two posters as a target for their jives.

There are some mighty weird people in this forum. Had they wanted to reply to only one sentence in my message, that would've been fine. But they chose to reply to half a sentence, stripped of all meaning. Weeeird people. What's wrong with their minds?

The whole point was, if you want to judge who's better, Luis or Steroids Boy, you have to take them out of their teams -- otherwise, you're actually comparing Barca and LFC and how they fare in two different leagues in two different countries. And the only time the two lads play out of their teams is when they play for Uruguay and Argentina, two national teams who are very similar in their strengths and weaknesses. At those times, only at those times, you can measure their real individual mettle.

Mates, if you think Baby Frankenstein has done better than Suárez in World Cup and Cup América tournaments, prove it with numbers. Heh. I know already that I'm giving you an impossible task: if you compare their CA and WC performances, no matter how you look at it, goals, results, titles, whatever, Suárez beats Messi. But hey, you doubt it, feel free to try.  :laugh:
      Redtrader
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | 29 
      Reply #140: Jan 06, 2013 10:08:19 am
      The question posed was could Luis become a goal machine in our league, in the same way that Messi and Ronaldo are in La Liga. Which I think is entirely possible, firstly the only real class forwards in the league are Van Persie, Luis, Aguero, Tevez and then possibly Rooney and Torres, and our man is as good as any of them. Although I'd say Van Persie and Aguero are more clinical at the current time, Luis creates a lot more chances and therefore has the potential to out score the lot. Secondly the defenders in the premiership are, in general, sh*te, sure they are physical and strong, but lack the intelligence of a lot of our foreign counterparts, I remember when Torres first came over he pretty much said the same, and he was an average goalscorer in terms of numbers before he came here.

As for the nonsense conversation, Messi is the best, he dominates teams in Spain, but also in the champions league. He is also younger of the three discussed and can get better, whereas Luis is probably close to his peak and Ronaldo is at his peak. Our Luis is a top top class player, but let's be honest, if in your dreams we could swap with Messi, we'd all take it.

Oh and the sh*t about steroids, STFU will you, the guy took a treament that is available on the NHS, he wasnt growing properly, may you should take some and grow up.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #141: Jan 06, 2013 12:30:15 pm
      And then, they took the sentence and there was snipping. And one lonely snippet (lost and meaningless without the other half) was selected by two posters as a target for their jives.

There are some mighty weird people in this forum. Had they wanted to reply to only one sentence in my message, that would've been fine. But they chose to reply to half a sentence, stripped of all meaning. Weeeird people. What's wrong with their minds?

The whole point was, if you want to judge who's better, Luis or Steroids Boy, you have to take them out of their teams -- otherwise, you're actually comparing Barca and LFC and how they fare in two different leagues in two different countries. And the only time the two lads play out of their teams is when they play for Uruguay and Argentina, two national teams who are very similar in their strengths and weaknesses. At those times, only at those times, you can measure their real individual mettle.

Mates, if you think Baby Frankenstein has done better than Suárez in World Cup and Cup América tournaments, prove it with numbers. Heh. I know already that I'm giving you an impossible task: if you compare their CA and WC performances, no matter how you look at it, goals, results, titles, whatever, Suárez beats Messi. But hey, you doubt it, feel free to try.  :laugh:

Mate, Suarez is a beast, but at this stage, there is no way you can deny Messi is right up there with the best in History (personally, I think no one has come close to Pele yet).
      There are only 3 possibilities for your hatred:
      a)you are a Madrid fan,
      b)you are one of the Uruguayans that hate Argentinians no matter what,
       or c)you are just blind
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #142: Jan 06, 2013 12:32:04 pm
      Back on topic, Luis will tear this F***ing league apart. Still think he will bag 30+, and next year, with peoper players around him, who knows? maybe a title or two!
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #143: Jan 06, 2013 01:44:14 pm
      Mate, Suarez is a beast, but at this stage, there is no way you can deny Messi is right up there with the best in History (personally, I think no one has come close to Pele yet).
      There are only 3 possibilities for your hatred:
      a)you are a Madrid fan,
      b)you are one of the Uruguayans that hate Argentinians no matter what,
       or c)you are just blind
      No numbers, then? No WC results, no CA titles? Just blah blah blah?

Thanks, mate, for publicly acknowledging I'm right.
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #144: Jan 06, 2013 02:45:23 pm
      No numbers, then? No WC results, no CA titles? Just blah blah blah?

Thanks, mate, for publicly acknowledging I'm right.

I acknowledged before that you make a good point, Luis has been better than Messi at International level! But firstly not many people give a sh*t about International football, this is an LFC forum. Secondly, who's achieved more at club level football? You numpty
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,041 posts | 3352 
      Reply #145: Jan 06, 2013 03:01:16 pm
      but let's be honest, if in your dreams we could swap with Messi, we'd all take it.

No we all wouldn't.

I'd rather keep Suarez than have Messi on the basis that I know what I'm gonna get from Luis. He's in a sh*t side and is still fighting non-stop to improve us. A lot of "world class" players would just not give a F**k in this type of team - Messi could be one of those. I know Luis is gonna score goals, there's no guarantee (though a very good chance) that Messi would score in this League - in fact Messi might not score as much for this Liverpool team if he didn't put in the effort Luis did.

So before making statements like we'd all swap Luis for Messi - I suggest you speak for yourself only.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #146: Jan 06, 2013 03:39:30 pm

Because numbers prove everything.
      Redtrader
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | 29 
      Reply #147: Jan 06, 2013 03:54:06 pm
      No we all wouldn't.

I'd rather keep Suarez than have Messi on the basis that I know what I'm gonna get from Luis. He's in a sh*t side and is still fighting non-stop to improve us. A lot of "world class" players would just not give a f**k in this type of team - Messi could be one of those. I know Luis is gonna score goals, there's no guarantee (though a very good chance) that Messi would score in this League - in fact Messi might not score as much for this Liverpool team if he didn't put in the effort Luis did.

So before making statements like we'd all swap Luis for Messi - I suggest you speak for yourself only.

Fair enough, although its easy to say especially as the offer of a swap would never happen. While I am extremely happy to have Luis here, and he is really doing well, I'd certainly argue that he is not in a sh*t side, as he is part of that side. This threads discussion of whether Luis is better than Messi needs deleting because if any non LFC fan came on here we'd become a laughing stock.
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #148: Jan 06, 2013 05:12:08 pm
      No we all wouldn't.

I'd rather keep Suarez than have Messi on the basis that I know what I'm gonna get from Luis. He's in a sh*t side and is still fighting non-stop to improve us. A lot of "world class" players would just not give a f**k in this type of team - Messi could be one of those. I know Luis is gonna score goals, there's no guarantee (though a very good chance) that Messi would score in this League - in fact Messi might not score as much for this Liverpool team if he didn't put in the effort Luis did.

Excellent point. Don't pretend to speak for anyone but you, until there's a poll "Would you swap Suárez for Messi?" and we have seen the results. (I daresay you'd be surprised.)
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #149: Jan 06, 2013 06:44:43 pm
      messi hand ball

Evidently, he is! ;D
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #150: Jan 06, 2013 06:52:19 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,260 posts | 8582 
      Reply #151: Jan 06, 2013 10:23:51 pm
      Excellent point. Don't pretend to speak for anyone but you, until there's a poll "Would you swap Suárez for Messi?" and we have seen the results. (I daresay you'd be surprised.)

Doesn't matter, never gonna happen, Messi is the best player in the world, but F**k it, Suarez IS our hero now and I wouldn't swap him for anyone. Said fully with Red tinted glasses firmly planted on.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,260 posts | 8582 
      Reply #152: Jan 06, 2013 10:29:40 pm
      This threads discussion of whether Luis is better than Messi needs deleting because if any non LFC fan came on here we'd become a laughing stock.

Or maybe chill out lad, maybe some of us like DLS are bred on Shanklyisms, about us being the best in the world and better than everybody and let's not forget some of it is said in Scouse jest. And F**k what other fans think, any other football fans looking in can F**k right off, plenty of other football club's forums absolutely full of dickheads, so can't we have some as well!!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #153: Jan 07, 2013 12:46:39 pm
      I thought last season he was a bit like a chicken without a head at times and missed far too many chances.
      Never mind messi he has to be the most improved finisher in the league bar non. I would have put my house on  him not getting 20 league goals a season but he looks odds on now and he will have done it in a team that has struggled all season to find good consistent form.

Quick Reply