Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Suarez in English football:- Is he a Messi/Ronaldo waiting to happen?

Read 20515 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Suarez in English football:- Is he a Messi/Ronaldo waiting to happen?
      Jul 05, 2012 10:50:50 am
       The role of a real top player has changed in football. I'm not on about a really "good" player, I'm on about a player who has pretensions of being one of the best in the World. These days Messi and Ronaldo are re-writing the record books for their respective clubs and countries, and the hardest currency of all in football now is goals. Their teams are set up in order to maximise their star players' opportunites of providing them. Like a Tour de France team bringing their sprinter through the peleton to make the final dash, shielding him from the buffeting and the wind, they give their man the ball in dangerous areas at every opportunity. The only player we've seen in England in the modern era who came anywhere near reaching such hieghts purely in terms of goals scored was Ronaldo himself. These days though, he's moved on even from there, while Messi seems to score a hat-trick every week for Barca.

So who could perform this uber scoring role in England? Rooney perhaps, but the suspicion is that he would have already if he had it in him. Maybe Van Persie once he gets his move to one of the Manc clubs, but in both cases it would be hard to envisage the rest of the players giving him quite the same pedastle as Real and Barca give their star men. So options are thin on the ground, and I have a nagging suspicion Luis Suarez has it in him to leave his current form for us, albeit quite impressive form, well behind and become the undisputed top player in the league. He scores all types of goals, hits it well with both feet, climbs well for not the biggest fella, scores tap ins as well as scorchers and he has the desire to suceed which all great players have. He's in a team where he's indisputeably the best player, and it wouldn't be a surprise to see his teammates adopt him as their chosen one in front of goal.

I think the sky really is the limit for Luis, and I applaud BR's determination to get him on a new contract. They should get a clause in there which says he can't be bought for less than 50-60 mill, because if he becomes the player I think he can, then that's what he's worth minimum. 
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,302 posts | 2845 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Suarez in English football:- Is he a Messi/Ronaldo waiting to happen?
      Reply #1: Jul 05, 2012 12:11:29 pm
      No. The press will hound him out as will the sheep in the public who follow the gutter press every word. C**ts one and all
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #2: Jul 05, 2012 03:46:59 pm
      Talent wise he certainly has the potential and ability to aspire to the levels of these two but as an out an out goal getter i'm not so sure he can hit the heights of these two. He hasn't (as yet) demonstrated the clinical nature of Messi and Ronaldo but then he doesn't play in a side (as yet!) that put chances on a plate for him every 15 minutes so I guess we will have to wait and see. It's gonna be fun finding out.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #3: Jul 05, 2012 03:57:25 pm
      Keep him, build a team around him, let the magic begin.
      liverpoollovefc
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #4: Jul 05, 2012 05:49:43 pm
      He's already 25, and Messi and Ronaldo started getting goal crazy when they were like 22 or 23?  Not that he's that far behind, but he is a bit.  And last season he missed quite a few really decent opportunities that those two almost never miss.  If he could clean that up and Liverpool could play better overall, there's no reason he couldn't scored 25-35 goals in a season.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #5: Jul 05, 2012 05:53:41 pm
      Talent wise he certainly has the potential and ability to aspire to the levels of these two but as an out an out goal getter i'm not so sure he can hit the heights of these two. He hasn't (as yet) demonstrated the clinical nature of Messi and Ronaldo but then he doesn't play in a side (as yet!) that put chances on a plate for him every 15 minutes so I guess we will have to wait and see. It's gonna be fun finding out.
      Pretty much my thoughts too. The best possible plan is to build an offense around him like Uruguay have. When he's relentlessly buzzing around 2 equally talented attackers he is virtually unmatched. We need to find Liverpool's version of Cavani/Forlan to complement Luis.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #6: Jul 05, 2012 05:58:50 pm
      I don't think so. His all round game is better than Ronaldos, and he works much harder than him. Messi is a better player than Suarez is pretty much every department.

I think Suarez is better than Ronaldo with his all round game, and his brilliant work rate. Suarez is similar to Messi in the way he plays, and how he can easily get past players.

The difference between them two and Suarez, is that they both got 70 goals in a season, while Suarez struggled for 20.

His overall game, goal scoring excluded, he is better than Ronaldo, and one of the closest you'll get to Messi who is playing football today.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #7: Jul 05, 2012 06:27:59 pm
      I don't think so. His all round game is better than Ronaldos, and he works much harder than him. Messi is a better player than Suarez is pretty much every department.

I think Suarez is better than Ronaldo with his all round game, and his brilliant work rate. Suarez is similar to Messi in the way he plays, and how he can easily get past players.

The difference between them two and Suarez, is that they both got 70 goals in a season, while Suarez struggled for 20.

His overall game, goal scoring excluded, he is better than Ronaldo, and one of the closest you'll get to Messi who is playing football today.

Exactly.

Suarez is a bit like Messi in terms of dribbling but the difference is obviously the amount of goals they score.

Suarez is a better all round player than Ronaldo as well but Luis is the closest thing we have to Messi.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #8: Jul 05, 2012 07:31:15 pm
      We need to build our team around Suarez.  Full stop.  It was a huge mistake building it around Carroll last summer, I really hope it's a mistake that can be rectified.  We kept getting told that the team just needs "time to gel," when in reality, IMO, it was just an issue of most of our signings not being good enough.  When Gerrard and Suarez played together, they clicked right away.  They didn't need time to gel.  Why?  Because they are both classy players who play on the same wavelength.  The issue about Suarez not being ruthless enough is a bit misguided IMO.  There were definitely some sitters he should have put away, but him being clinical has much more to do in my opinion with who is around him.  Have you ever seen him play for Uruguay?   he scores goals like crazy.  And yet with us he doesn't.  Why is that?  Well, if you watch that 4-0 drubbing of Chile last year, you'll see why he is more clinical for them.  It's because he is playing with other class players.  Cavani, Forlan, Rios, etc, all of these players demand attention, you can't just defend one of them.  And so that brings defenders off of Suarez, and gives him less work to do, and a higher likelihood of being clinical.

Last season we depended way too much on him.  Remember when Vorm said "if you stop Suarez, you stop Liverpool"?  well, unfortunately he was mostly right.  I hate to say it but Downing, Adam, Carroll, Henderson etc don't exactly inspire fear in opposing defenders.  Last season we basically said "here Luis, go do something with the ball, we'll sit back and watch."  Besides Luis and Stevie, our best attacker last season was Glen Johnson, FFS.  Bellamy was the only other one who drew attention but he wasn't able to play week in and out.  So when the ball goes to Suarez and our own players just sit around and watch, then, well, yea, it's going to be harder for him to be clinical if he has to beat 3 or 4 players plus the keeper.  But if he only has to beat 1 or 2, he is not totally exhausted by the time he puts the shot on goal, and he'll have a higher success rate.  I mean, this is all pie in the sky, but just suppose our attack had, for example, Muniain, Cavani, and Suarez in it.  The defenders would have to practically be glued to all of them.  If they went for Muniain, it would free up Suarez, and vice a versa.  But when they see Downing, Kuyt, and Suarez, they know that Downing can't beat anyone, Kuyt lacks pace, and if they shut down Suarez they shut down pretty much our attack.

We have to take the pressure off of him.  We didn't do that last season and it was a huge mistake.  I love Suarez, he's not only our best player but he fights like hell for everything.  Wish he would stop moaning when he goes down, but whatever.  Other than that, he shows so much passion.  Every time he makes a good run and the pass doesn't come to him, he screams out, every time he misses a shot, he is hard on himself.  He never stop trying, and is always totally spent at the end of the game.  Some people in our squad could learn a lot from him.

Have to build the team around him.  Absolutely have to.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #9: Jul 05, 2012 07:37:01 pm
      He'll need to grow a ruthless streak in front of goal first.
      Reddamo
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      Reply #10: Jul 05, 2012 08:22:55 pm
      No.

Doesn't score enough goals. He's too temperamental to build a team around imo.

Good player but not yet in Rooney, RVP, Augero class yet IMO.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #11: Jul 05, 2012 08:26:19 pm
      No because I don't think he will be in the prem long enough
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #12: Jul 05, 2012 10:33:12 pm

His all round game is nowhere near Ronaldo. Heading, pace, finishing, crossing, set pieces are all well below him.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #13: Jul 05, 2012 11:54:41 pm
      I don't think Suarez is or ever will be in Ronaldo or Messi's class, but I do believe he is as good as Aguero and Van Persie. One thing lacking from Suarez game for me is pace. If he had that ability to run away from players once he is past them I think he would get a lot more goals.

Hopefully this season he will get a little more support and will add a more clinical finish to his game and then I think he will get the 20+ goals we expect. 
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #14: Jul 06, 2012 12:17:45 am
      His all round game is nowhere near Ronaldo. Heading, pace, finishing, crossing, set pieces are all well below him.

I did say excluding finishing, which Ronaldo is much better at.

Suarez' dribbling, agility, creativity and work rate excels Ronaldos. I admit Ronaldo is a better finisher which makes him a better player because he gets about 50 goals more a season.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #15: Jul 06, 2012 12:53:06 am
      Suarez is great with the ball but I don't think he dribbles better than Ronaldo. He is not quite that class. Messi and Ronaldo are a class to themselves but I do think Suarez is in that next class of players
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,260 posts | 8582 
      Reply #16: Jul 06, 2012 01:07:05 am
      No.

Doesn't score enough goals. He's too temperamental to build a team around imo.

Good player but not yet in Rooney, RVP, Augero class yet IMO.

Star player at last years Copa America, remind what the granny shagger and Van Persie did in the Euro's?

Right up there with Aguero.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #17: Jul 06, 2012 01:09:40 am
      I'm surprised.

He's at least in the Rooney, RVP and Aguero class.

He'd probably walk into any team in the world.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #18: Jul 06, 2012 01:36:05 am
      He's already 25, and Messi and Ronaldo started getting goal crazy when they were like 22 or 23?  Not that he's that far behind, but he is a bit.  And last season he missed quite a few really decent opportunities that those two almost never miss.  If he could clean that up and Liverpool could play better overall, there's no reason he couldn't scored 25-35 goals in a season.

I think his Ajax record was definitely 'goal crazy' and his consistency for his country his more than acceptable. He has even scored a decent amount for us considering his nine match ban.

Suarez is one of the best players in the world I don't think we should doubt that. We couldn't have asked for a hungrier South American to come in and knuckle down, but more than that, to rise above the sh*te that comes with being a Liverpool player (or supporter) in the UK and exemplify the Liverpool way so quickly and so passionately. Luis is a true winner. He has truly battled the hard way to get to one of the biggest clubs in the world. He is no arrogant spoiled child, he worked hard to get to where he is.

He is world class in my view because he does what a world class player should, he brings people in to the game, he plays at a winning tempo and never lower. He takes it upon himself to drag the team over the line when the going is tough. He scores wonderful goals and has incredible skills. Who can make an argument that we've seen better skills across the Prem season just gone from someone other than Luis?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,443 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #19: Jul 06, 2012 10:25:15 am
      No because I don't think he will be in the prem long enough
      You really are a bundle of fun, aren't you ?
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #20: Jul 06, 2012 10:30:37 am
      He really needs a smack in the bollocks.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #21: Jul 06, 2012 10:35:35 am
      He really needs a smack in the bollocks.

He's been a cock ever since he revised history.  FFS Han shot first!
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #22: Jul 06, 2012 10:45:59 am
      He's a top player but Messi is the best player ever, we're lucky to live in an era where we see so much of him. Comparing Suarez to him is unfair, Ronaldo is in a similar vein, but to me he's more athletic than gifted.

Changing the system will benefit Suarez because he's proven himself a natural goalscorer for Uruguay and his previous clubs. Hopefully Rodgers knows how to utilise his strengths. Undoubtedly the best forward in England though, we can take some comfort from that but needs more golazos to his name.

Quick Reply