Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Suarez in English football:- Is he a Messi/Ronaldo waiting to happen?

Read 20516 times
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Re: Suarez in English football:- Is he a Messi/Ronaldo waiting to happen?
      Reply #92: Jan 03, 2013 12:41:14 pm
      I have a wager with 2 bitter blue's who will score the most goals this season
      Suarez or Jelavic £100 each
      Happy Days sad bitter neds!!!!

Cheers to the 2 Bitter's Big Mick & Little Mick....
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #93: Jan 03, 2013 05:28:54 pm
      Care to put some money to back that up?
      I say this season he will score +30 in all competitions

30+  Agree : Barring Injury and suspension.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #94: Jan 03, 2013 05:35:21 pm
      He's starting to score more of the chances he gets. If he had Messi's finishing rate then he'd be up there for sure. That's the only hole in his game right now.
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #95: Jan 03, 2013 06:27:29 pm
      He has certainly stepped up his game this year, i think he will still improve next year barring injury.The referees are giving him more slack this year witness his first goal yesterday. Think goals are easierto get  in la liga than the EPL.He is a work horse and very determined and loves football.
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #96: Jan 03, 2013 08:26:54 pm
      On a level with Ronaldo and Messi?! Pahahaha you got to be F***ing kidding me, he's absolutely no where near them two players.

Messi is probably the best player ever in football history so say no more, whilst Ronaldo is an absolute beast and one of the best of his generation. Fantastic player but talk about getting on our high horses haha!
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,198 posts | 1642 
      Reply #97: Jan 03, 2013 11:01:22 pm
      On a level with Ronaldo and Messi?! Pahahaha you got to be f**king kidding me, he's absolutely no where near them two players.

Messi is probably the best player ever in football history so say no more, whilst Ronaldo is an absolute beast and one of the best of his generation. Fantastic player but talk about getting on our high horses haha!
      Clearly you didn't bother to read the OP...either that or you have missed the point completely.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #98: Jan 03, 2013 11:08:51 pm
      He's a footballing genius , nuff said.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #99: Jan 04, 2013 01:01:02 am
      He's starting to score more of the chances he gets. If he had Messi's finishing rate then he'd be up there for sure. That's the only hole in his game right now.

Or if Messi played in England he'd have less or if Luis played in Spain he'd score more. It's difficult to make comparisons between players in different leagues.
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #100: Jan 04, 2013 03:34:07 am
      Yeah, if he had the whole Barca pass-machine working just for him, Luis would score lots more goals, that's for sure. On the other hand, Messi out of Barca, left to his own devices, is a sorry thing. When the Argentinian team tried to cast him in the role of a new Maradona (the team dynamo, who carries the other players and takes them to the win), he failed miserably.

Luis plays that role in the Uruguayan team (and, to some extent, in Liverpool) as if he was natural-born to do it, with brill and confidence.

And speaking of nature... let's not forget Messi is a little Frankenstein monster, built on steroids and artificial hormones (like Nadal and Contador and so many other sportsmen in Spain), while Luis is 100% himself. Really, it's sort of pointless to make comparisons.  ;)
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,127 posts | 453 
      Reply #101: Jan 04, 2013 04:36:22 am
      Those have betted for him to reach at least 30 goals are safe at the moment.  Half way mark and he's got 18 goals another 12 to get it seems an inevitable target.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #102: Jan 04, 2013 05:16:53 am
      On a level with Ronaldo and Messi?! Pahahaha you got to be f**king kidding me, he's absolutely no where near them two players.

You should think about the kind players that suarez got around him and what messi and ronaldo got around him.
      Even in the utd times ronaldo had better players to feed him. Now we have suarez he is creating most of the chances his own out of no where and scoring it. Am not saying that he is better than ronaldo or messi. At least he is closer to their level. Wonder what he will be like if he had some experienced players around him rather than the youngsters.
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #103: Jan 04, 2013 03:01:46 pm
      Clearly you didn't bother to read the OP...either that or you have missed the point completely.

No I did read the opening post and what I meant was, Suarez is not capable of scoring the amount of goals that Ronaldo and Messi have. I don't think any player in the Premier League is capable of that. Ronaldo and Messi on the other hand would, because they are an absolute class above any other footballer on Earth.

I understand Suarez has weaker players around him but even if he did have your Xavis, Iniestas or Ozils, he still wouldn't hit anywhere near the amount Ronaldo and Messi have. You cannot compare Ronaldo and Messi to Suarez, its ludacris. I don't even think Suarez would hit 50+ in La Liga, because he wouldn't get into the Barca and Real teams!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #104: Jan 04, 2013 03:05:30 pm
      I understand Suarez has weaker players around him but even if he did have your Xavis, Iniestas or Ozils, he still wouldn't hit anywhere near the amount Ronaldo and Messi have. You cannot compare Ronaldo and Messi to Suarez, its ludacris. I don't even think Suarez would hit 50+ in La Liga, because he wouldn't get into the Barca and Real teams!

You're kidding, right?

One of the best footballers on this planet wouldn't get in to the Barca and Real teams?

Haha. Nice one. April is three months away.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #105: Jan 04, 2013 03:12:26 pm
      No I did read the opening post and what I meant was, Suarez is not capable of scoring the amount of goals that Ronaldo and Messi have. I don't think any player in the Premier League is capable of that. Ronaldo and Messi on the other hand would, because they are an absolute class above any other footballer on Earth.

That's just ludacris.
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #106: Jan 04, 2013 03:28:14 pm
      So basically what you're trying to imply is that Luis Suarez is capable of scoring 46 goals or 60 goals in all competitions in, unsure of assists (Ronaldo last season) or better still 50 goals or 73 goals in all competitions, 29 assists (Messi last season) in English football? Because if he's a 'Messi/Ronaldo waiting to happen' then he has to hit them numbers.

And don't feed me the bullshit that 'they play in better teams'. Yes they certainly do but thats football, you cannot use that as an excuse to take away the credentials of Ronaldo and Messi, they still had to tuck their chances away. Suarez misses a lot more even though he has been more clinical of late.

Referring to my previous post, no he certainly wouldn't get in the Barca team because he plays in Messi's role. However Real Madrid in fact he would, I was thinking would he play over Messi/Ronaldo rather than 'get into their teams' which I was wrong about. He's certainly better than Benzema and Higuain.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #107: Jan 04, 2013 04:04:31 pm
      So basically what you're trying to imply is that Luis Suarez is capable of scoring 46 goals or 60 goals in all competitions in, unsure of assists (Ronaldo last season) or better still 50 goals or 73 goals in all competitions, 29 assists (Messi last season) in English football? Because if he's a 'Messi/Ronaldo waiting to happen' then he has to hit them numbers.

And don't feed me the bullshit that 'they play in better teams'. Yes they certainly do but thats football, you cannot use that as an excuse to take away the credentials of Ronaldo and Messi, they still had to tuck their chances away. Suarez misses a lot more even though he has been more clinical of late.

Referring to my previous post, no he certainly wouldn't get in the Barca team because he plays in Messi's role. However Real Madrid in fact he would, I was thinking would he play over Messi/Ronaldo rather than 'get into their teams' which I was wrong about. He's certainly better than Benzema and Higuain.

He did score 49 in one season at Ajax did he not..? In 48 games if my memory serves me correctly, just before we purchased him. Now I know what you will say about the dutch league but...

You can argue about the players he has around him when he dosent have the same players - we are no Barca! Also, the Dutch league may be poor, but so is the Spanish league aside from a few very good teams.!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #108: Jan 04, 2013 04:14:44 pm
      I guess it's that time again! I love picking nonsensical posts apart.

So basically what you're trying to imply is that Luis Suarez is capable of scoring 46 goals or 60 goals in all competitions in, unsure of assists (Ronaldo last season) or better still 50 goals or 73 goals in all competitions, 29 assists (Messi last season) in English football?

Nobody, anywhere, has ever said that he has to score X amount of goals to be eligible to play for Barca or Real. Nobody has implied that, nobody has thought that - apart from you, obviously.

Because if he's a 'Messi/Ronaldo waiting to happen' then he has to hit them numbers.

No he doesn't. He just has to play as well as he's been playing all season. The kid is un-F***ing-playable, no matter what team he's with.

In any case, he is capable of hitting those numbers with the right team behind him, which leads me on to your next point...

Why not? It's true. Messi without Xavi isn't all that great. I don't even list him in the top 3 greatest ever players - yet. Suarez may miss more, but like I said, who is as unplayable as Suarez is? Who is as unpredictable, as passionate, and has that spark about them that every other player seems to lack?

The kid has skill in abundance, his temperament is perfect, his attitude awesome. He makes the best defences in the world look like school kids, and what's more is that he's not even hit his top form yet AND he's still keeping up with the top scorers in the EPL. Don't you think that's scary?

Wouldn't get in to the Barca team? Are you delusional? Messi may play in the hole (fnar-fnar), but Suarez can play anywhere on the forward line. That's one of his strengths - he can adapt; he is versatile. And he'll still terrorise every defender out there while changing positions, too.
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #109: Jan 04, 2013 04:20:00 pm
      He did score 49 in one season at Ajax did he not..? In 48 games if my memory serves me correctly, just before we purchased him. Now I know what you will say about the dutch league but...

You can argue about the players he has around him when he dosent have the same players - we are no Barca! Also, the Dutch league may be poor, but so is the Spanish league aside from a few very good teams.!

Yeah he scored 49 in all competitions, 35 in the league that year. Which is still 10 goals off Ronaldo and miles off Messi which again reiterates my point. Also I actually think La Liga is a very good league, not as good as the Premier League in terms of entertainment but they play great football over there. I think Premier League defending at times is comical aswell, Spanish defending is much better which again just shows how good Ronaldo and Messi are to score that much goals.

When Ronaldo scored 42 goals for Utd, I think people forget that came from playing as a winger aswell. Imagine if he had played up front!
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #110: Jan 04, 2013 04:25:07 pm
      So - would you say he is the 3rd best player in Europe at this time..?
      harrydunn08

• 5,923 posts | 965 
      Reply #111: Jan 04, 2013 04:41:28 pm
      So - would you say he is the 3rd best player in Europe at this time..?

I think Suarez, Falcao, RVP, and Ibra can all count themselves as the next best in Europe behind Messi and Ronaldo.  Cases can be made for each of them being the next best, so I would just count them all as tied for 3rd.

Edit:  You could also make a case for Xavi, Iniesta, etc but I'm just going to say I'd take Luis over all of them  ;)
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #112: Jan 04, 2013 04:50:11 pm
      I guess it's that time again! I love picking nonsensical posts apart.

Nobody, anywhere, has ever said that he has to score X amount of goals to be eligible to play for Barca or Real. Nobody has implied that, nobody has thought that - apart from you, obviously.

No he doesn't. He just has to play as well as he's been playing all season. The kid is un-F***ing-playable, no matter what team he's with.

In any case, he is capable of hitting those numbers with the right team behind him, which leads me on to your next point...

Why not? It's true. Messi without Xavi isn't all that great. I don't even list him in the top 3 greatest ever players - yet. Suarez may miss more, but like I said, who is as unplayable as Suarez is? Who is as unpredictable, as passionate, and has that spark about them that every other player seems to lack?

The kid has skill in abundance, his temperament is perfect, his attitude awesome. He makes the best defences in the world look like school kids, and what's more is that he's not even hit his top form yet AND he's still keeping up with the top scorers in the EPL. Don't you think that's scary?

Wouldn't get in to the Barca team? Are you delusional? Messi may play in the hole (fnar-fnar), but Suarez can play anywhere on the forward line. That's one of his strengths - he can adapt; he is versatile. And he'll still terrorise every defender out there while changing positions, too.

I agree that nobody has said he has to score X amount of goals but surely Ronaldo and Messi have set the benchmark seen as the topic is 'is he a Ronaldo/Messi waiting to happen?' And if he is a 'Messi/Ronaldo waiting to happen' then I do feel he has to hit the same numbers to be considered in the same breath as them.

Messi isn't all that without Xavi? Ok then, he's only won 3 Ballon D'Or awards along with every other accolade you can think of twice or three times over. He's the top goal scorer for a worldwide club and he's only 25 yet, all this considering he used to be a right winger. Yes I understand goals aren't the be all end all but attackers are judged on goals aren't they? I'm not saying Xavi and Iniesta don't help his game, they sure do. But to state Messi isn't all great that is absolutely pathetic.

Saying Suarez is making the best defences in the world looking like school kids is pretty funny actually. We don't even play in the Champions League, the latest teams we've played are QPR, Sunderland and Stoke so unless they're the best defences in the world then god knows what you meant. And again going back to goals, before the Fulham game, Suarez hadn't scored in 7. Yes nobody has mentioned goals but I judge great Strikers on goals, because goals are what count in football, they win you football matches, not performances. Fact is we're 8th in the table so if Suarez is a 'Messi/Ronaldo waiting to happen', he won't even be at Liverpool much longer to show it.

Torres showed passion, skill and hunger. So did Owen but they both fu**ed off, we'd be lucky to keep Luis without Champions League football this year.
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #113: Jan 04, 2013 04:57:05 pm
      I think Suarez, Falcao, RVP, and Ibra can all count themselves as the next best in Europe behind Messi and Ronaldo.  Cases can be made for each of them being the next best, so I would just count them all as tied for 3rd.

Edit:  You could also make a case for Xavi, Iniesta, etc but I'm just going to say I'd take Luis over all of them  ;)

Agree with this, you have Messi and Ronaldo in one bracket and then so on. The next bracket are your Suarez, Falcao, Aguero, RVP etc. Its hard to say who the third best player in the world is right now. I'd plump for Falcao simply because Atletico are in a better position in La Liga than we are in the Prem.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #114: Jan 04, 2013 05:07:41 pm

He's scored 18 goals in all competitions in half a season. If he has a second half of a season with the same amount of goals, that's 36 goals in all competitions, in a much tougher league, with mediocre players around him. I think it's very possible he'd be scoring the amount Messi or Ronaldo do if he was in Spain playing with the Real or Barca players around him.

Quick Reply