Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Suarez in English football:- Is he a Messi/Ronaldo waiting to happen?

Read 20628 times
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Suarez in English football:- Is he a Messi/Ronaldo waiting to happen?
      Reply #23: Jul 06, 2012 11:10:31 am
      I absolutely love Luis. Boss player, one of the most inventive I've ever seen at LFC.

But Ronaldo and Messi are on another level. Always have been, dare say always will be. Ronaldo I question in big games sometimes, but he's still second best in the world for me.

Having the third best aint too bad though, eh? ;)
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Reply #24: Jul 06, 2012 01:59:10 pm
      Great player :). Starting to hit his prime. He is scoring for fun when playing with his national team. Here he played a lot of games without Gerrard in the team. Put him in barca or man city or real, i mean where he don;t need to create chances for himself, sure he ll be clinical infront of the goal. Hope gerrard stays fit and they continue their performances.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #25: Jul 06, 2012 02:13:49 pm
      Honestly, as much as I would love that, no. It's not that he doesn't have the talent - because he sure does! - it's just that the league is simply too hard and physical for that. Ronaldo put up some great great numbers in the Prem, but he exploded once he got to La Liga. The PL isn't as open. This isn't a "which league is better debate," or anything, I just can't really see such a super-scorer in the Premier League. There have been some great individual years (Ronaldo had one, van Persie last year, etc) but that level of very high scoring consistently seems very very hard in England.

If Suarez does reach that level, I'll happily be wrong! :)
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #26: Jul 07, 2012 01:35:17 pm
      I did say excluding finishing, which Ronaldo is much better at.

Suarez' dribbling, agility, creativity and work rate excels Ronaldos. I admit Ronaldo is a better finisher which makes him a better player because he gets about 50 goals more a season.
      You can be a good lethal finisher and better at it than Ronaldo but he will still score more than you because his all round ability allows him to score nearly anywhere on the pitch within reason.

Suarez is class but his game is nowhere nearly as rounded as Ronaldo.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #27: Jul 07, 2012 01:58:12 pm
      He is nowhere near as good as Messi or Ronaldo. I don't think he'll ever have a ridiculous 30+ goal a season for us or any club in a major league, Holland doesn't count as that.

Suarez decision making at times can be poor, or even extremely selfish. Whereas with Messi his decision making seems almost always perfect, when Suarez would try and get a shot in most of the time Messi would square it for a team mate. I know you're talking about super goalscoring feats but lets be honest he isn't in the Messi class and never will be.

Ronaldo is all round a great player, and while selfish as F**k, can do just about everything and it's no wonder he scores so many.

Suarez is a great player, he is unpredictable and tenacious but he just isn't going to get thirty a season like Torres nevermind like Messi/Ronaldo.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #28: Jul 07, 2012 02:14:49 pm
      Whilst Ronaldo may have had that Madrid team built around him somewhat, saying Messi has had the same at Barca is way off in my view. He just fits into their system perfectly, probably because he was brought up there, whereas Ronaldo was bought later in his career.

I don't quite understand the question either, so I'll take it to mean do you think Suarez is the same caliber player as Ronaldo and Messi, and to that I'd say no, not yet. Potentially, yes, but he needs to do a couple of things before that happens, mainly and most importantly, start scoring as much as he does internationally for Uruguay for us at club level. I think saying he will never score 30+ goals a season is very very unfair on him, it's impossible to predict. What I do think is that on average he'll score far less goals than Ronaldo and Messi, but he makes up for that with his overall play, work ethic and will to win. He's a fighter, not a moaner or someone who thinks only for himself like Ronaldo. Messi has the work ethic too, and in my view that, amongst a few other things, make him a superior player to Ronaldo.

So to conclude, no, Suarez is not as a 'good' as Messi or Ronaldo, but he's right up there with other world class names like Aguero, RVP etc. I just hope he stays with us for the best of his career, starting from next year. He's reaching his prime and if he improves his finishing for us he'll rightfully be challenging for the 'best player' in the world epitaph. But building a team around him is not the answer, because fortunately Suarez, for all his occasional selfishness, is at heart a team player, and I think he's a versatile enough player to effectively play in several systems. I think the best sides ever are teams of talented players who compliment each other, rather than a group of talented individuals who aren't so cohesive but still possess a huge amount of class. Which is why I never think we should build around one player, rather we should add more talented players with the ethic and teamwork to compliment a player of Suarez's class.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #29: Jul 07, 2012 02:20:29 pm

Suarez is a great player, he is unpredictable and tenacious but he just isn't going to get thirty a season like Torres nevermind like Messi/Ronaldo.
      Care to put some money to back that up?
      I say this season he will score +30 in all competitions
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #30: Jul 07, 2012 02:54:41 pm
      Care to put some money to back that up?
      I say this season he will score +30 in all competitions

I'll pay a tenner to the forum kitty if Suarez scores 30+ goals this coming season...
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #31: Jul 07, 2012 02:57:51 pm
      His all round game is nowhere near Ronaldo. Heading, pace, finishing, crossing, set pieces are all well below him.

Ronaldos record at set pieces is grim. I couldn't stop laughing when the commentators here gave him the big build up on every free kick in the Euros. At Real Madrid the fans start booing him before he whacks it into them now.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #32: Jul 07, 2012 03:00:23 pm
      I'll pay a tenner to the forum kitty if Suarez scores 30+ goals this coming season...
      Im not familiar with the slang, but ill donate 10 pounds if he scores less than 30 (is that what tenner means?) in all competitions. Bet is off if he gets a really lenghty ban  >:D
      JD can you register this bet?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #33: Jul 07, 2012 03:20:08 pm
      If he gets 30 this year I'm happy to throw a tenner in as well...

I'll be as happy as a pig in sh*t if he does..
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #34: Jul 07, 2012 03:35:01 pm
      I'll be as happy as a pig in sh*t if he does..

That's my thinking. Don't think he'll do it but if he does I won't give a F**k about it costing me a tenner ;D
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #35: Jul 07, 2012 03:46:03 pm
      Im not familiar with the slang, but ill donate 10 pounds if he scores less than 30 (is that what tenner means?) in all competitions. Bet is off if he gets a really lenghty ban  >:D
      JD can you register this bet?

A 'tenner' is £10 yes, and the forum 'kitty' is a cat which eats all the donations JD receives.
      kennystaff
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 292 posts |
      Reply #36: Jul 07, 2012 04:01:28 pm
      I don't think so. His all round game is better than Ronaldos, and he works much harder than him. Messi is a better player than Suarez is pretty much every department.

I think Suarez is better than Ronaldo with his all round game, and his brilliant work rate. Suarez is similar to Messi in the way he plays, and how he can easily get past players.

The difference between them two and Suarez, is that they both got 70 goals in a season, while Suarez struggled for 20.

His overall game, goal scoring excluded, he is better than Ronaldo, and one of the closest you'll get to Messi who is playing football today.

Would have to strongly disagree that his all round game is better than Ronaldos. He's been doing it consistantly at a top level for many years. Suarez has had a season and half in English top flight, and yes has set the world on fire at times but in terms of pace, heading, beating a player, and to top it off, goal scoring, he doesn't come near Ronaldo at present.
      I do believe however with a lot of posts that the team should be built around him, and players got to compliment him. A little bit more clinical and he could easily be a 30 goal a season player.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #37: Jul 07, 2012 04:56:44 pm
      Ronaldo and Messi have world class players helping them to be the best in the world as no player can do it on his own, no matter how good he is. Stick 5 or 6 world class players around Luis and he would achieve that status.

You are joking ? You think Suarez is as good as Ronaldo or Messi ?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #38: Jul 07, 2012 04:58:45 pm
      You are joking ? You think Suarez is as good as Ronaldo or Messi ?

He's not saying that, what he is saying is that if Luis had the players the other two have playing around him, Suarez could easily be up there.

He was voted ahead of Messi as the best player at last years Copa America.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #39: Jul 07, 2012 05:44:29 pm
      He's not saying that, what he is saying is that if Luis had the players the other two have playing around him, Suarez could easily be up there.

He was voted ahead of Messi as the best player at last years Copa America.
      First i dont think he is as prolific as Ronaldo today, and no one today is as good as Messi, but I agree with both of you: he would be a beast surrounded by WC players. I think he is an overall better footballer than Ronaldo, not a better goalscorer. He can take forward a team on his own, and doesnt choke on the big games, Ronaldo still cant
      woodsie2b
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts | 11 
      Reply #40: Jul 08, 2012 09:25:40 pm
      Suarez is no where near as clinical as those 2. seems to come from the school of "just hit the target" as good as he is in the build up, I would love to see him play in a Liverpool team with an out an out striker! here's hoping he proves me so wrong,plus i'll chuck a tenner in to sweat
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #41: Jul 08, 2012 09:33:43 pm
      Suarez is no where near as clinical as those 2. seems to come from the school of "just hit the target" as good as he is in the build up, I would love to see him play in a Liverpool team with an out an out striker! here's hoping he proves me so wrong,plus i'll chuck a tenner in to sweat
      He misses too much because he always tries to place the shots instead of just netting the bloody ball. Thats why he hits the posts so often
      If a player can score anywhere but here, the proble isnt with the player methinks
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #42: Jul 09, 2012 05:43:08 am
      Suarez is a world lass player no doubt and one of the best players in the world already but we must not play for him or build a team around him. Indeed he'll score wonderful goals and maybe 20+ goals/season but he must not lead our striking force. Carroll must(I'm his supporter till he's proven a real failure). and i believe Suarez will leave in 4/5 years maybe to play at Barca, Madrid or other club unless we win a CL or a league soon and we'll experience another Torres-like episode.

What i wnt to see next season is:
      Maxi(I like him)  ----     Carroll            Suarez(cut inside like Messi and create/score)
            Aquilani                  Gerrard
                             Lucas                    Johnson(to play like D. Alves)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #43: Nov 17, 2012 06:39:16 pm
       As Luis supasses pretty much all of our expectations every week, I thought I might bump this. His record recently is sensational, is he about to become another Messi/Ronaldo? 
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #44: Nov 17, 2012 07:13:06 pm
      Goals are easier to score in spain than the EPL.So comparing messi with saurez is not logical. Messi was a no show at world cup. But consider saurez has not reached his peak yet, think that could be 3 years from now. Look at his progress just in a year man utd had a hidden agenda to try and stir up trouble because luis is that good.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #45: Nov 17, 2012 07:22:48 pm
      The problem is keeping him. He's a world class talent but unless we start to improve and the owners stump up some cash in the next two windows to help us improve, I can see him being off on the grounds that the club doesn't match his ambition; and who could blame him. It's only so long before Real or Barca come sniffing around and you know how high South Americans regard those two clubs.

Quick Reply