Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Mike Marsh promoted to first team set up.

Read 2242 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Mike Marsh promoted to first team set up.
      Aug 08, 2012 11:16:29 pm
      Marsh set to join Melwood staff
      8th Aug 2012 - Latest News

31 CommentsPrintShare ArchiveLFC To Go
      Brendan Rodgers today confirmed Mike Marsh is set to join Liverpool's first-team coaching set-up.

The 42-year-old will move up to Melwood from his role as U18s coach after assisting the Reds' new boss and backroom team over the course of pre-season training.

And Rodgers admits he's keen to have people with close ties to the club and city working alongside him.

The manager told Liverpoolfc.com: "Michael will sign a deal this week. For me, it is very important to have people with the sort of root of Liverpool in their heart, the soul of the club.

"I've come in and I've got an understanding of what it is like. I feel I'm from the same bottle of the people of Liverpool and the city, with similar backgrounds. There are no worries about that, and I've also got players from Liverpool in the first-team group.

"When I went to Swansea, I went in on my own and promoted a couple of people from there, such as Colin Pascoe to first-team coach. He was a former player there and from the Swansea area. There was also Alan Curtis, who was a player for the club for many years and a Welsh legend. I feel it is important to have people who have the soul of the club and who understand.

"When I looked at the staff when I came in, Marshy was someone who had come in with the U18s. He was a terrific young player - he walked out of a pub team into Liverpool, which is an absolutely incredible story. His roots are here at the club, his passion is for the club and he's played for the club. He was here in a period when we were a proper team, a proper club.

"This is a guy who I feel will come in as a first-team coach and Marshy will be able to help myself and Colin to take the group forward. It is great for him and good for his career, and he'll obviously get to learn how I work.

"He will also help build a bridge between the first team and the Academy. It is important for me this bridge is smooth and the young players can come across and progress into the first team."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/marsh-set-to-join-melwood-staff

I haven't seen this mentioned on here today so thought I'd post it.

Great to see Brendan promote someone from within but anyone know much about Mike as a coach?

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Mike Marsh promoted to first team set up.
      Reply #1: Aug 08, 2012 11:24:54 pm
      Thought he did great at U18 level.
      Had thought Rodolfo might get promoted and Mike would move to
      Reserve and Next Gen, much like Rodolfo did.

Guess not.

That said, U18s played some great football.
      Maybe Rodolfo wants to finish the link between youth and first team.

Good luck Mike.
      Like that we are promoting from within.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #2: Aug 08, 2012 11:36:48 pm
      Love this part.... "He was here in a period when we were a proper team, a proper club"

get us back to that Brendan.

Good luck Mike. ;)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3: Aug 08, 2012 11:45:01 pm
      "He will also help build a bridge between the first team and the Academy. It is important for me this bridge is smooth and the young players can come across and progress into the first team."

Missed that the first time.
      Good to read.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #4: Aug 08, 2012 11:53:25 pm
      Missed that the first time.
      Good to read.

Yep.

You think Rodolfo is holding out for a mangers job before leaving his current role racer?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #5: Aug 08, 2012 11:53:55 pm
      I really enjoy the way Brendan puts his points across, great leader in the making I think.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #6: Aug 08, 2012 11:55:54 pm
      He speaks very well - like the way he was saying "we" and not the club etc
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #7: Aug 08, 2012 11:59:10 pm
      Good luck Mike.  :gt-happyup:

I like what BR had to say in that piece. Becoming more and more impressed with how he comes across.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: Aug 09, 2012 12:05:06 am
      Yep.

You think Rodolfo is holding out for a mangers job before leaving his current role racer?

Maybe they want to set a structure in place and move on.
      Personally I much rather they ( Rodolfo and Segura ) fulfilled their ambitions here.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9: Aug 09, 2012 12:07:10 am
      I really enjoy the way Brendan puts his points across, great leader in the making I think.

Yep! No cliches. All just original statements.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #10: Aug 09, 2012 06:05:17 am
      Well done Marshy!

Remember the goal he scored against Swindon away? Also remember him scoring a screamer at Anfield vs Palace when we beat them 5-0 I think it was.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #11: Aug 09, 2012 09:36:29 am
      that is great news I liked Mike Marsh as a player 100% every game and someone who made the most of his talent.Well done Mike .
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #12: Aug 09, 2012 09:58:21 am
      Some brilliant lines from Brendan. He always said, even before Liverpool, that he liked the Barcelona way (or should I say the old LFC way), promoting from within. Mike Marsh has done a lot of hard work with the U18s and is Red through and through so I am delighted for him and wish him the best of luck.

With regards to Borrell, he has been outstanding for the club. However, sometimes when someone is doing a great job, it is best not to move them about as they are doing some fantastic work in their current position. I feel this is the case with Borrell.
      Red Rob 60
      • Forum Ian St John

• 448 posts | 43 
      Reply #13: Aug 09, 2012 10:34:27 am
      Interesting appointment and possibly an important one.

"This is a guy who I feel will come in as a first-team coach and Marshy will be able to help myself and Colin to take the group forward. It is great for him and good for his career, and he'll obviously get to learn how I work.

Good luck Mike.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #14: Aug 09, 2012 02:09:07 pm
      Awesome for Mike Marsh. But if this kind of job had gone to anyone, I thought it would have been Rodolfo's.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #15: Aug 15, 2012 11:42:13 am
      Awesome for Mike Marsh. But if this kind of job had gone to anyone, I thought it would have been Rodolfo's.

Judging by our two loan attempts, maybe Borrell and Segura are diversing into other areas.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,448 posts | 8656 
      Reply #16: Aug 15, 2012 02:57:08 pm
      Well done Marshy!

Remember the goal he scored against Swindon away? Also remember him scoring a screamer at Anfield vs Palace when we beat them 5-0 I think it was.

Scored a boss little header in the comeback against Auxerre too!

Quick Reply