Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Lewis Holtby (Schalke)

Read 15480 times
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Lewis Holtby (Schalke)
      Jul 14, 2012 05:25:09 am
      The Times

Brendan Rodgers, the Liverpool manager, concluded his first signing for the club after Fabio Borini, the Roma and Italy striker, arrived on Merseyside yesterday to complete a medical. Liverpool, who are also thought to be tracking Lewis Holtby, the Schalke winger, confirmed that Maxi Rodríguez, the Argentina midfielder, has rejoined Newell’s Old Boys on a free transfer.

soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Re: Lewis Holtby (Schalke)
      Reply #1: Jul 14, 2012 05:26:39 am
      Lewis Holtby has revealed he 'dreams' of playing in the Premier League one day after the Schalke midfielder was linked with Liverpool.

The 21-year-old is of English origin, having been born to a Liverpudlian soldier, and it is this connection which has seen the Reds come forward a potential suitor, with talkaloadofbull.com exclusively reporting the side's interest in the attacker.

Schalke are keen to extend the player's existing contract, which expires next year, but Holtby admits that he might not sign a new deal amid interest from the Premier League.

"I am very happy in Schalke. But I would be lying if I said I will definitely extend may contract," he told Bild. "My dream was always the Premier League - and someday I will make this step."

Raul recently left the Veltins Arena in favour of a lucrative move to Qatar, paving the way for Holtby to make his mark on the team in the number 10 position, but he refused to be drawn into comparisons with the Spaniard.

"I will not play like Raul," he said. "He is simply world class and a unique breed. But I am Lewis Holtby and will play the role of number 10 my way. I am fighting for the position."

Holtby then gave his assessment of the new season, and believes Schalke have a realistic chance of winning the Bundesliga if they get off to a good start.

"Everyone begins at zero and we all have the chance to be champions. I have faith in our young, hungry squad and feel that we have a realistic chance. It may happen this year," he said.

Here's a link to the Bild article: http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/schalke/holtby-wir-koennen-diesmal-meister-werden-25117690.bild.html
      « Last Edit: Jul 14, 2012 05:36:55 am by soxfan »
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #2: Jul 14, 2012 05:33:45 am
      NOTE: This article is old >>> October 6, 2010

Lewis Holtby: How did England miss a boy with the Midas touch?
      In scenes that made you check it was not May next year, there was an outbreak of euphoria on the banks of the Rhine on Saturday. Up the hill on Martin Luther King Weg, Mainz 05’s Bruchweg Stadium was rocking.

Fans who arrived an hour before kick-off stayed an hour after a landmark 4-2 defeat of Hoffenheim that cemented Mainz’s shock position at the top of the Bundesliga. They are 13 points ahead of Bayern Munich.

The victory, Mainz’s seventh in their first seven games of the season, meant history for club and league. A city near Frankfurt known for its carnival spirit embraced the moment. So did the Mainz 05 players. You would have thought they had won the Ryder Cup.

This peripheral club are not trophy-laden. Mainz have never won Germany’s league or Cup, and they still haven’t. But they have equalled the Bundesliga’s best start, matching Bayern’s achievement from 1995 and Kaiserslautern’s from 2001, and, should they win their next game at home to Hamburg, Mainz will have set a record.

Promoted two seasons ago, Mainz’s rise is akin to Blackpool’s, only greater. That was why the 05 players - the club was formed in 1905 - performed a lap of honour on Saturday. They had already climbed the fence at the standing section to lead communal chanting. It is some story.

And within it lies another: Lewis Holtby. A month ago Holtby was a teenager on loan at Mainz from Schalke. It did not register as one of the transfers of the summer but it looks one now. Indeed, the 20-year-old has become the smiling emblem of Mainz’s surge.

Man of the match on Saturday, Holtby created three goals and scored the other. Simultaneously, Holtby has moved on to the radar in England due to his form and his name. Holtby’s father, Chris, is English.

Even though Holtby is Germany’s Under 21 captain, that should have made ears pr**k at the Football Association before now. Until he is capped by Germany at senior level, he is available to Fabio Capello.

Holtby, who supports Everton, hinted that he might choose England ahead of the land of his birth and his mother, Heidi. The growing debate soon changed that. On German television he declared Germany as his national team, a selection he confirmed on Saturday to Sportsmail.

‘I think it would be difficult for England snatching the Germany Under 21 captain,’ Holtby said, in English. ‘For the English players it would be slightly bizarre and that would make it difficult for me to settle in. Everyone else is full-English. I would come as a German, as a German captain. It’d be quite bizarre.

'I love England, I love my family there but I have to pay respect to Germany. I love Germany very much and when I sing the national anthem it gives me goosebumps.

‘If Capello would talk to me I’d listen. But I’d tell him I’ve decided to play for Germany.’

Understandably, Capello may feel Holtby’s stance non-negotiable. But the issue may surface again in this world of increasing migration — 750,000 English people live in Spain alone.

While Capello watched Emile Heskey on Saturday, his German opposite, Joachim Low, was in Mainz.

Low has omitted Holtby from his latest Germany squad but a first cap is expected to come in a friendly against Sweden next month. Low left Mainz happy.

In less than two minutes Holtby established himself as the game’s dominant creative force. Taking possession in the centre circle, he looked up and then delivered a pass on a plate to his striker. It was clean enough to be served on Masterchef and Hoffenheim’s defence was split. It was soon 1-0.

Low said: ‘Holtby’s pass for the first was worth the entrance fee alone.’

Holtby is left-footed, 5ft 8½in but looks smaller. At kick-off he lined up on Mainz’s right touchline. That brought a natural Adam Johnson comparison: Johnson is 5ft 9in but appears taller.

Perhaps Holtby’s low centre of gravity accounts for this. That and his position on the left evokes reminders of Emre and, in this region hailed for its wine, there are hints of Beardsley and Mendieta.

In Germany they see Mesut Ozil similarities and Holtby certainly shares his energy. Capello can counter that England have Jack Wilshere, 15 months younger and playing in the Champions League against better defences than Hoffenheim’s.

But what sort of player will England be missing?

Thomas Tuchel is Mainz’s 37-year-old manager, and he said: ‘Lewis is a very creative player, good on one-on-one, good at running — again and again. He can win the ball.

‘He has a good character. He’s only 20 but very focused. He smiles, he has a positive energy that he brings to the club. But when the game starts, he’s focused. He has made a huge step in the last eight weeks with us.

‘This is an important step for him, to play at a little club instead of Schalke. There’s no fear or expectation. Unfortunately, Schalke will get him back but we have him for the season.

‘It’s a pleasure to work with him. He’s special — he knows about his own ability but he also knows his role in the team. He doesn’t behave like he’s something special.’

Holtby’s equilibrium will be tested. He was interviewed live on television on the pitch for about 15 minutes on Saturday. Radio and newspapers followed.

He and his two young strike partners, Adam Szalai and Andre Schurrle, mimic a band when they have scored and are known as the Bruchweg Boys. T-shirts were being sold outside the stadium. Holtby’s fame is galloping like Mainz’s form.

‘It’s just running for us,’ he said. ‘We’re playing our own football, we’re not playing deep. It’s unbelievable for Mainz.

‘Thank you for coming.’
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1317998/Lewis-Holtby-How-did-England-miss-boy-Midas-touch.html
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #3: Jul 14, 2012 05:42:09 am
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #4: Jul 14, 2012 08:11:17 am
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,380 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #5: Jul 14, 2012 08:42:20 am
      Q "Spurs in for Holtby" at some stage today
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #6: Jul 14, 2012 11:03:01 am
      Heard an interview with him before euro 2012 on talksport. He spoke very well about the game however he did say he is an everton supporter as is his scouse father and dreams of playing for the blue sh*te so Id  be surprised if its true.
      Looks a right decent player tho.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #7: Jul 14, 2012 11:20:25 am
      He spoke very well about the game however he did say he is an everton supporter as is his scouse father and dreams of playing for the blue sh*te so Id  be surprised if its true.

There was once a nasty rumor that Carra was a blueshite... Regardless of this if LFC place a bid and it is accepted then he would sign - regardless of being an Everton fan!

Would love to have him here, absolutly love it. Quality, young and definatly on the way up.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #8: Jul 14, 2012 01:22:47 pm
      I've watched Holtby a few times and he's always seemed pretty good to me. I do feel like there's a wealth of talent in the Bundesliga that could be gotten for favorable prices, but we just never really seem to be linked with players there. I don't know if we're not scouting or what, but there are some real talents there.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #9: Jul 14, 2012 04:20:16 pm
      Really hope it is true, he's still a very raw talent but all the elements are there, technically sound, skilfull, I would love to see him blossom in a LFC shirt
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #10: Jul 14, 2012 04:44:12 pm
      There had been some buzz on Twitter from second-rate sources about this for a few days prior to the Times snippet. Hopefully the Times has its own source and isn't just feeding off poor speculation elsewhere.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,504 posts | 234 
      Reply #11: Jul 14, 2012 04:47:12 pm
      No thanks to Holtby. But give us Julian Draxler :) that young man is talented.

8 goals in 69 first team games in all competitions for an 18 year old is impressive - plus hes recently been capped for the German national side which already is filled with talent
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #12: Jul 14, 2012 04:53:06 pm
      Id be very surprised if Lewis Joined, us, i know for a fact hes a huge Blue,as are most of his family!although he does have a few Intelligent people who are Red fans in the family!!I know this ,as i go to games occasionally with relatives of his.They have already said they would be massively surprised if he became a Red.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #13: Jul 14, 2012 05:11:19 pm
      There was once a nasty rumor that Carra was a blueshite... Regardless of this if LFC place a bid and it is accepted then he would sign - regardless of being an Everton fan!

Would love to have him here, absolutly love it. Quality, young and definatly on the way up.

It's not an issue for me mate, I'm just repeating what he said. He spoke very strongly of his love for everton which is why I am saying I would be surprised if its true.
      I hardly think him and Carra are a relative comparison.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #14: Jul 14, 2012 07:03:53 pm
      People forget Carra was a blue also.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #15: Jul 14, 2012 11:56:05 pm
      Sounds very interesting.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,380 posts | 2884 
      Reply #16: Jul 15, 2012 12:08:03 am
      People forget Carra was a blue also.

Even carra does
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #17: Jul 15, 2012 12:18:50 am
      Doesn't matter, does it?

If I'm not mistaken, aside from Carragher, Fowler, McManaman and Owen were blues as well.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,380 posts | 2884 
      Reply #18: Jul 15, 2012 12:27:30 am
      Doesn't matter, does it?

If I'm not mistaken, aside from Carragher, Fowler, McManaman and Owen were blues as well.

Only thing that does or should ever matter is what they do in the red jersey end of
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #19: Jul 15, 2012 12:39:20 am
      Only thing that does or should ever matter is what they do in the red jersey end of

Red jersey end of what?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,380 posts | 2884 
      Reply #20: Jul 15, 2012 12:52:06 am

My sentence ye tw*t
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #21: Jul 15, 2012 04:09:01 pm

Ohh. Sorry, just got a bit thrown out by it.

And there's no need for hostility.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,991 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #22: Jul 15, 2012 06:42:21 pm
      No disrespect to Lewis, good luck to the lad, but why spend money on a winger when we have talent waiting in the wings(no pun intended), why not give Raheem a go and see what comes of it, he has been mightely impressive as has been Suso in the ressies and althought the step up is huge i think both these young lads are capable,

ok we will probably sign someone but i would like to see young lads been given a chance to shine on the big stage, some bloke called Hansen said ''you'll never win anything with kids'' but that has been blown out of the water more than once.

Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #23: Jul 15, 2012 07:22:55 pm
      No disrespect to Lewis, good luck to the lad, but why spend money on a winger when we have talent waiting in the wings(no pun intended), why not give Raheem a go and see what comes of it, he has been mightely impressive as has been Suso in the ressies and althought the step up is huge i think both these young lads are capable,

ok we will probably sign someone but i would like to see young lads been given a chance to shine on the big stage, some bloke called Hansen said ''you'll never win anything with kids'' but that has been blown out of the water more than once.

Winger is one of our biggest problems at the moment. And Holtby isn't a winger. We can't rely on Sterling just yet, he is a bit too young. Suso isn't a winger. We deffo need a first team winger.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8685 
      Reply #24: Jul 15, 2012 07:57:26 pm
      Ohh. Sorry, just got a bit thrown out by it.

And there's no need for hostility.

Jesus, I'd say first thing on your list for chrimbo should be when to realise when someone's having a laugh.

What supporting the reds used to be about.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #25: Jul 16, 2012 09:06:34 pm
      Jesus, I'd say first thing on your list for chrimbo should be when to realise when someone's having a laugh.

What supporting the reds used to be about.

I didn't realise you could get that for Christmas.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #26: Jul 16, 2012 09:11:58 pm
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #27: Jul 16, 2012 09:34:05 pm
      Ben smith, who has been reliable with the last few transfers or potential ones, says via twitter that there is interest in Holtby and that is all right now.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #28: Jul 16, 2012 09:43:18 pm
      Ben smith, who has been reliable with the last few transfers or potential ones, says via twitter that there is interest in Holtby and that is all right now.

Just looked at his timeline and can't see anything about Holtby
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #29: Jul 16, 2012 10:45:56 pm
      If you look on his timeline somebody tweeted to him:
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #30: Jul 17, 2012 12:20:23 am

Yeah it is deffo on there.

He also said there is interest in Walcott and Dempsey but they are in the early stages, nothing more.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #31: Dec 31, 2012 10:45:48 pm
      Lewis Holtby | FC Schalke 04 | 2012/2013 (HD)

This is all I've seen of this lad but he looks hungry and determined. I think this will happen in the Summer if it's going to happen at all.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #32: Jan 02, 2013 02:45:11 pm
      Spurs jump ahead of Arsenal as favourites to sign highly-rated German midfielder Holtby
      Tottenham Hotspur have emerged as the frontrunner to sign German wunderkind Lewis Holtby.

The 22-year-old Schalke midfielder is eligible to sign a pre-contract agreement with another club from today and Spurs have reportedly jumped ahead of Arsenal and Liverpool in the queue of English suitors.

Holtby and his representatives have already informed Schalke he will be leaving at the end of the season, with the Premier League the likely destination given the player's English heritage.

His father, Chris, is a former British soldier from Liverpool who was stationed at RAF Rheindahlen, near Monchengladbach.

Holtby, a childhood Everton fan, was eligible to play for England but opted for the country of his birth and has three caps.

Widely admired for his passing vision and energy, Holtby is likely to be made one of Tottenham's highest earners. Schalke's final offer was a new contract of just under £50,000 a week.

He would be a key addition to the midfield as Andre Villas-Boas continues the re-building process following the departures of Luka Modric and Rafael van der Vaart last summer.

The head coach was frustrated when a deal to bring in Joao Moutinho, the Porto player, collapsed back in August.

But the acquisition of the highly-regarded Holtby would be an excellent substitute.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2255588/Tottenham-favourites-sign-Lewis-Holtby-Schalke.html

Surprise, surprise ;D

In all seriousness, if we want Holtby, we have to go for him now. There will be a bunch of clubs in for him in the summer, including Everton, which he says he's a boyhood fan of. Not to mention CL clubs.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #33: Jan 02, 2013 03:04:41 pm
      Spurs jump ahead of Arsenal as favourites to sign highly-rated German midfielder Holtby
      Tottenham Hotspur have emerged as the frontrunner to sign German wunderkind Lewis Holtby.

The 22-year-old Schalke midfielder is eligible to sign a pre-contract agreement with another club from today and Spurs have reportedly jumped ahead of Arsenal and Liverpool in the queue of English suitors.

Holtby and his representatives have already informed Schalke he will be leaving at the end of the season, with the Premier League the likely destination given the player's English heritage.

His father, Chris, is a former British soldier from Liverpool who was stationed at RAF Rheindahlen, near Monchengladbach.

Holtby, a childhood Everton fan, was eligible to play for England but opted for the country of his birth and has three caps.

Widely admired for his passing vision and energy, Holtby is likely to be made one of Tottenham's highest earners. Schalke's final offer was a new contract of just under £50,000 a week.

He would be a key addition to the midfield as Andre Villas-Boas continues the re-building process following the departures of Luka Modric and Rafael van der Vaart last summer.

The head coach was frustrated when a deal to bring in Joao Moutinho, the Porto player, collapsed back in August.

But the acquisition of the highly-regarded Holtby would be an excellent substitute.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2255588/Tottenham-favourites-sign-Lewis-Holtby-Schalke.html

Surprise, surprise ;D

In all seriousness, if we want Holtby, we have to go for him now. There will be a bunch of clubs in for him in the summer, including Everton, which he says he's a boyhood fan of. Not to mention CL clubs.

He's meeting with Club representatives next month mate, same as he's meeting with arsenal and spurs.  No idea how the daily fail have come to this conclusion other than it's the daily fail  ;)
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #34: Jan 02, 2013 03:12:45 pm
      He's meeting with Club representatives next month mate, same as he's meeting with arsenal and spurs.  No idea how the daily fail have come to this conclusion other than it's the daily fail  ;)

That's what I'm saying though. Next month might be too late. He could very well be willing to take slightly lower wages if a CL club is in for him vs us if we offer him a big package.

And yeah, classic Daily Fail ;D
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #35: Jan 03, 2013 12:11:22 am
      That's what I'm saying though. Next month might be too late. He could very well be willing to take slightly lower wages if a CL club is in for him vs us if we offer him a big package.

And yeah, classic Daily Fail ;D

The only thing we have going for us is that his father is from Liverpool, although he was an Everton fan. You never know but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #36: Jan 03, 2013 03:39:46 pm
      Have a sneaky feeling we'll get this lad in the summer. I think he's Rodgers' first choice for the No.10 signing that's been talked about. I feel that a first XI place and the project we're building here will intice him over to the red half of Merseyside.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #37: Jan 03, 2013 04:56:21 pm
      I, and a few others like TRM & Diego, have always said that we are lacking a true number 10. I think Lewis could be that player too. Young, good technical player. He would suit us down to the ground, just a pity his dad is a blue!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #38: Jan 03, 2013 05:09:12 pm
      He's a special talent from what I hear. Not seen too much German football to comment, but I don't think he comes cheap?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #39: Jan 03, 2013 05:11:47 pm
      He's a special talent from what I hear. Not seen too much German football to comment, but I don't think he comes cheap?

Out of contract in six months and will be signed on a free. My argument is go in for him now to ward off the inevitable competition that will be in for him in the summer. Arsenal and Spurs are already sniffing around him. Maybe you can convince Schalke to a bargain fee.

He rejected a 50k contract I think, but I figure he'd be on 55k or 60k here. It's not a money thing, I believe he genuinely wants to try out English football.
      nohockeynoproblem
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 54 posts |
      Reply #40: Jan 03, 2013 05:14:45 pm
      Out of contract in six months and will be signed on a free. My argument is go in for him now to ward off the inevitable competition that will be in for him in the summer. Arsenal and Spurs are already sniffing around him. Maybe you can convince Schalke to a bargain fee.

He rejected a 50k contract I think, but I figure he'd be on 55k or 60k here. It's not a money thing, I believe he genuinely wants to try out English football.

I am pretty sure that he is going to be very expensive once he has had a good run of CL games. Shalke will go far this year I think. It is true though, we do need a true #10, for me this is the #1 priority right now.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #41: Jan 03, 2013 05:18:50 pm
      On the negative side, he and his Dad (Who is from Liverpool) support the Blueshite.

Think he will go to Spurs personally.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #42: Jan 03, 2013 05:20:23 pm
      A few journalists have said he is going to Spuds in the Summer, so I fear we may miss out with this lad. Those horrible cu*ts have got in there first with a pre-contract agreement.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #43: Jan 03, 2013 05:30:38 pm
      Spurs are worse than me on FM for signing young attacking midfielders. Sigardson has been rotting in that team and we could have really used him this season. Hopefully Holtby see's how others have been treated there
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #44: Jan 03, 2013 07:59:41 pm
      Rumours that spurs made an pre contract agreement with him.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #45: Jan 04, 2013 12:50:18 pm
      Liverpool make first move for Holtby but Schalke midfielder favours Tottenham

whole article here..>> http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/01/04/3647375/-
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #46: Jan 04, 2013 02:02:04 pm
      Same old story with us and Spurs >:(
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #47: Jan 04, 2013 04:13:35 pm
      F**k f**k f**k f**k

HOLTBY TO JOIN (Tottenham) IN JULY
      We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with Germany Under-21 captain Lewis Holtby to join the Club in July from Bundesliga side Schalke, subject to a medical.

The creative midfielder began his professional career with Alemannia Aachen and his impressive performances in the German second division soon caught the attention of a number of top-flight Bundesliga sides before he made the move to Schalke in the summer of 2009.

He enjoyed loan spells with Bochum and Mainz prior to making his breakthrough at Schalke. To date, he has made 75 appearances for the Gelsenkirchen-based club in all competitions, scoring 11 times as well as earning three caps for the senior German national side.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/News/holtby-to-join-in-july-04012013.page?

F***ing Spurs.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,523 posts | 2874 
      Reply #48: Jan 04, 2013 04:53:44 pm
      Disappointing. Joined without the guarantee of CL football too, so we must have had a chance if we wanted to go for it.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #49: Jan 04, 2013 04:56:08 pm
      Fuckers...

We really need to step it up - he is going to be a class player! Gutted
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #50: Jan 04, 2013 05:03:39 pm
      F**k f**k f**k f**k

HOLTBY TO JOIN (Tottenham) IN JULY
      We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with Germany Under-21 captain Lewis Holtby to join the Club in July from Bundesliga side Schalke, subject to a medical.

The creative midfielder began his professional career with Alemannia Aachen and his impressive performances in the German second division soon caught the attention of a number of top-flight Bundesliga sides before he made the move to Schalke in the summer of 2009.

He enjoyed loan spells with Bochum and Mainz prior to making his breakthrough at Schalke. To date, he has made 75 appearances for the Gelsenkirchen-based club in all competitions, scoring 11 times as well as earning three caps for the senior German national side.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/News/holtby-to-join-in-july-04012013.page?

F***ing Spurs.

F***ing cu*ts.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #51: Jan 04, 2013 05:26:26 pm
      AVB is good at attracting top young talent.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #52: Jan 04, 2013 05:32:54 pm
      What if we bid for Sigurdsson now? :D

I would still love to have him at LFC
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #53: Jan 04, 2013 05:37:42 pm
      What if we bid for Sigurdsson now? :D

I would still love to have him at LFC

Has he been any good for Spurs? He hardly seems to start for them.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #54: Jan 04, 2013 05:38:29 pm
      Has he been any good for Spurs? He hardly seems to start for them.

Not really, but I believe he would be quality for us. I haven't changed my mind from the summer window.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #55: Jan 04, 2013 05:39:39 pm
      Not really, but I believe he would be quality for us. I haven't changed my mind from the summer window.
      He may be quality, but after he snubbed us for more money he can piss right off as far as I'm concerned.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #56: Jan 04, 2013 05:51:33 pm
      Shame, seems a good player, let's hope we can get someone better.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #57: Jan 04, 2013 06:01:50 pm
      He may be quality, but after he snubbed us for more money he can piss right off as far as I'm concerned.

He might have snubbed us for more money, but he also signed for the club who are currently 3rd, 5 positions and 8 points above us, and valued him more. I'm not a big fan of passing moral judgment without all the information.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #58: Jan 04, 2013 07:18:45 pm
      Disappointing.
      Joined without the guarantee of CL football too, so we must have had a chance if we wanted to go for it.

We did.

He turned up for a Melwood meeting at 3.55 but Ayres had gone 10 minutes early.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #59: Jan 04, 2013 07:27:07 pm
      We did.

He turned up for a Melwood meeting at 3.55 but Ayres had gone 10 minutes early.

Quality!
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #60: Jan 04, 2013 07:27:52 pm
      Is that true Eurored?  Did we really miss out on Holtby the German u-21 captain because Ian Ayres was'nt around for the meeting? 

Please tell me your havin a laugh?

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #61: Jan 04, 2013 07:32:31 pm
      Is that true Eurored?  Did we really miss out on Holtby the German u-21 captain because Ian Ayres was'nt around for the meeting? 

Please tell me your havin a laugh?

:lmao: Yes, he's having a laugh
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #62: Jan 04, 2013 07:40:15 pm
      See this is exactly why I don't buy into all the piss and bluster FSG put out there about buying smartly.

We Spent £12m on Sturridge and could possibly have gotten Llorente and Holtby for the same money.

Not saying we would have got them, but we never even tried, not that smart a move in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong Sturridge is a good player, but to fill two places in a deplated squad with two good players for the price of 1 is buying smartly.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,684 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #63: Jan 04, 2013 07:52:13 pm
      Good business from Levy again.
      Makes a mockery of the money we have spent on "potential".
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #64: Jan 05, 2013 12:27:38 am
      I think Sturridge was the main target this window, and I don't really expect anyone else  to come in now. The likes of Lorente and Holtby were only ever fantasy options as far as I can see. I would take them both but has there been any serious info from the club that they was ever an oficial aproach ?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #65: Jan 05, 2013 12:44:44 am
      Nothing saying there was approaches for either mate and no one is suggesting there was.

Just stating if we were talking about buying smartly, then they would be the smart buys.

Now let's presume they didn't fit into the managers long term plans if bought, you could probably sell them this time next January and double your money on them, thus increasing your transfer budget for the players you do see as long term signings.

That's buying smartly for me.

bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #66: Jan 05, 2013 12:47:15 am
      See this is exactly why I don't buy into all the piss and bluster FSG put out there about buying smartly.

We Spent £12m on Sturridge and could possibly have gotten Llorente and Holtby for the same money.

Not saying we would have got them, but we never even tried, not that smart a move in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong Sturridge is a good player, but to fill two places in a deplated squad with two good players for the price of 1 is buying smartly.

True Daz, we're still sh*t at transfers . I wonder why we even bothered with Sahin , we could have saved some by not loan signing him . that money could have went towards Holtby . Assaidi ,another one , why did Rodgers sign him , he's not getting any game time . Is he spending the money for the sake of it .   
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #67: Jan 05, 2013 08:49:35 am
      Is he spending the money for the sake of it .
      This has been my concern since Rafa. When we don't have enough money available for the main targets, we seem to spend it for the sake of spending it, on players we wouldn't have otherwise looked at. Can't the funds be put aside until they accumulate into enough for the right targets, or do they have to be spent at the earliest opportunity in each transferr window ?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #68: Jan 05, 2013 08:55:38 am
      Just stating if we were talking about buying smartly, then they would be the smart buys.

Totally agree with that Red, but I dont think many managers buy players they don't really fancy, with a view to sell on at a profit 2 years later. Perhaps on the money they earn, they do that with properties and fine art, but not with players. It makes perfectly good business sense, but when was a football club run on good business sense ? Ours certainly hasn't been for about 25 yrs.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #69: Jan 05, 2013 09:32:43 am
      Personally, if we do need an attacking midfeilder that plays in where Gerrard is playing then we should invest the clubs time and money in what we,ve allready got.....SUSO as hes being wasted playing out wide.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,639 posts | 131 
      Reply #70: Jan 05, 2013 09:45:09 am
      Anyway don't rate Holty as much as the media hyped him here in Germany! Decent player but there is nothing special on him. Had a superb season when he was on loan at Mainz, but after his return to Schalke he hasn't impressed me much.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #71: Jan 05, 2013 03:58:20 pm

Exactimundo   Red.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #72: Jan 06, 2013 12:29:54 pm
      If spuds have got Holtby signed up for a summer move, shouldn't this be locked now ?
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #73: Jan 21, 2013 07:42:25 am
      Just what it thought.

Or can we still do a QPR on them???

Quick Reply