Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 201939 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,506 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Joe Pirlo Allen Player Thread
      Reply #2024: Apr 10, 2016 06:37:34 pm
      The reincarnation of jesus
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #2025: Apr 10, 2016 06:47:14 pm
      Turning into a bit of a cult hero is Joe.

Top class performance today - he hasn't put a foot wrong this year in my opinion. Great to see.
      Paul Farny
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #2026: Apr 10, 2016 08:50:41 pm
      Another top performance, presses like a terrier. Hope he gets a new contract
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #2027: Apr 10, 2016 09:02:52 pm
      Always liked little Joe...glad to see him doing well. Long may it continue.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,875 posts | 165 
      Reply #2028: Apr 10, 2016 10:56:37 pm
      :The Beard to be Feared.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,240 posts | 850 
      Reply #2029: Apr 14, 2016 10:56:14 pm
      Allen brought the balance to the force tonight

(star wars reference)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #2030: Apr 14, 2016 10:58:53 pm
      Done really well under Klopp.

Well in Joseph.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4420 
      Reply #2031: Apr 14, 2016 11:00:25 pm
      In a midfield 2 he is ahead of Henderson.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #2032: Apr 14, 2016 11:14:28 pm
      I gave him motm tonight, I thought he was superb when he came on, really impressive. Surely deserves a few starts to see if he is worthy of a new contract?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2033: Apr 14, 2016 11:20:23 pm
      Love him as supersub, not a 90 minute player though.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4420 
      Reply #2034: Apr 14, 2016 11:26:00 pm
      Love him as supersub, not a 90 minute player though.

Think your right Rodders his best performances have come off the bench.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #2035: Apr 14, 2016 11:28:13 pm
      Don't care where or when you play him, just give him a lifetime contract and pay the man.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2036: Apr 15, 2016 06:42:39 am
      I gave him motm tonight, I thought he was superb when he came on, really impressive.

He really had a cracking performance when he came on.  Not sure if it was a confidence issue that kept him back, but now he seems so aggressive when he plays.  Always looking forward.  He was like the for his first few months when we first signed him but then he caught Henderson Syndrome and started passing sideways and backwards all the time.

Last night the first time he got the ball he dribbled through three or four BVB players, it was so refreshing to see him trying to make things happen.  My favourite part was in the 70th minute, Can got fouled way back near our own penalty box, Joseph took it really quickly and played a great pass to Coutinho, then Coutinho hit it up to Sturridge.  Two passes and we were from one end of the pitch to the other.  Because of Joseph's aggression and quick thinking.

He'll be starting the rest of our matches presumably given injuries and his form.  Hopefully he shows he's turned a corner for good now, can only be good for him and the club.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2037: Apr 15, 2016 08:33:05 am
      Looked like our own version of Modric out there last night.

Keep it up lad!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2038: Apr 15, 2016 09:05:05 am
      He really had a cracking performance when he came on.  Not sure if it was a confidence issue that kept him back, but now he seems so aggressive when he plays.  Always looking forward.  He was like the for his first few months when we first signed him but then he caught Henderson Syndrome and started passing sideways and backwards all the time.

Last night the first time he got the ball he dribbled through three or four BVB players, it was so refreshing to see him trying to make things happen.  My favourite part was in the 70th minute, Can got fouled way back near our own penalty box, Joseph took it really quickly and played a great pass to Coutinho, then Coutinho hit it up to Sturridge.  Two passes and we were from one end of the pitch to the other.  Because of Joseph's aggression and quick thinking.

He'll be starting the rest of our matches presumably given injuries and his form.  Hopefully he shows he's turned a corner for good now, can only be good for him and the club.

Under Brendan he seemed to be restricted by what he could do which is why he became known as a sideways passer. Under Jürgen though it's as though he's been given a new lease of life and can be more attack minded. I personally love it, showing everybody how important he is to the squad.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #2039: Apr 15, 2016 09:47:07 am
      All the subs played their part last night and joe Allen is such a different player these days I don't think anybody winces now when they see him start ..we definitely have a decent squad now.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #2040: Apr 15, 2016 10:25:53 am

Telling for me is that when Jürgen has brought him on it has usually been to replace a Lallana or a Firmino or one of the other attacking players. It's as if he is telling him I see you as an attacking player, go out there and make things happen. At Swansea he used to travel with the ball, he was often the player who transitioned between defence and attack and he scored a few goals here and there as well. We simply haven't seen that at Liverpool.

You're right, he is clearly a confidence player and with Hendo out (and perhaps Can as well after last night's injury) he deserves the chance to show he can be a player at this club. Am chuffed to bits for him BUT he has to play like this from now until the end of the season.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 567 posts | 129 
      Reply #2041: Apr 15, 2016 10:44:00 am
      I've always been critical of him for being lightweight, but give him his due the last month or so he has really turned things around. Last night he was in the Dortmund box and was so intent on getting to he ball he was outmuscling their defence. Brilliant turn around in form and attitude.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2042: Apr 15, 2016 10:47:19 am
      All the subs played their part last night and joe Allen is such a different player these days I don't think anybody winces now when they see him start ..we definitely have a decent squad now.

I still wince when he starts, no issue with his use from  the bench, he rarely lets us down when coming on in the second half.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2043: Apr 15, 2016 01:05:02 pm
      Under Brendan he seemed to be restricted by what he could do which is why he became known as a sideways passer. Under Jürgen though it's as though he's been given a new lease of life and can be more attack minded. I personally love it, showing everybody how important he is to the squad.

Agreed.
      Telling for me is that when Jürgen has brought him on it has usually been to replace a Lallana or a Firmino or one of the other attacking players. It's as if he is telling him I see you as an attacking player, go out there and make things happen. At Swansea he used to travel with the ball, he was often the player who transitioned between defence and attack and he scored a few goals here and there as well. We simply haven't seen that at Liverpool.

You're right, he is clearly a confidence player and with Hendo out (and perhaps Can as well after last night's injury) he deserves the chance to show he can be a player at this club. Am chuffed to bits for him BUT he has to play like this from now until the end of the season.

Agreed but if he does we have to give him a new contract he is completely a different player under Jürgen.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #2044: Apr 15, 2016 01:14:41 pm
      I've always been a fan of Joe's, so it is so good to see him in his best moment here. He's showing how tidy and effective a player he can be. His passing is superb, and under Jürgen he's showing it is also direct. He has quite the engine on him, and he covers so much ground for our press. I think by the end of this season he'll have everyone convinced he's earned his right to remain a key player here: maybe not in the first 11, but a valuable person who can slide right in seamlessly.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2045: Apr 15, 2016 02:06:34 pm

I don't quite get what Brendan was getting at with Joe. When he first came to Liverpool, Brendan had him playing fairly advanced and was interlinking so well with the attack in those first few games under Brendan - indeed he seemed the only man capable at the time of taking the ball from the middle to the front. Then Joe got injured and then Brendan started playing him deep in front of the defence. Brendan's a good manager with so much potential (many would say a great coach but not a great manager) and I say this as someone who backed him right to the very end but with Klopp coming in it's clear that Brendan just made things too complicated for himself. The pressure to get results particularly after that title challenge only made things more complicated for him. What Klopp has done is just simplify things again and reasserted the strengths of each individual player.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #2046: Apr 15, 2016 02:22:12 pm
      I still wince when he starts, no issue with his use from  the bench, he rarely lets us down when coming on in the second half.

likewise but no more even when he has started he has been excellent.

Quick Reply