Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your outstanding player from the game?

Joe Allen
      84 (75%)
      Steven Gerrard
      2 (1.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      2 (1.8%)
      Raheem Sterling
      19 (17%)
      Fabio Borini
      0 (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      3 (2.7%)
      Luis Suarez
      2 (1.8%)
      Someone else?
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Liverpool 2:2 Manchester City: In game and post match analysis.

Read 40573 times
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Re: Liverpool 2:2 Manchester City: In game and post match analysis.
      Reply #621: Aug 27, 2012 01:53:21 am
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,357 posts | 6398 
      Reply #622: Aug 27, 2012 01:55:05 am
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #623: Aug 27, 2012 02:06:42 am

Yes it is.

He runs away to celebrate before it's in the net.  ;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,325 posts | 8602 
      Reply #624: Aug 27, 2012 02:13:13 am
      Gutted walking out of the ground earlier knowing we should of took all three points today. Boss bevvying in the sun at the back of the Sandon, great atmosphere in the ground, so much so got a lovely sore throat, long may it continue, as a few others of said Joe Allen is officially boss, defo a Liverpool midfielder! And who the F**k needs a £20 million pound winger when we've got Raheem, new star was born today.

redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #625: Aug 27, 2012 02:13:19 am
      Much much improvement from last week and I thought the whole team performed well after last week's setback. Passes were ok, except at the final 3rd and if we could say 20% sharper with the final pass, we would have created better scoring chances. I'm sure this will improve along the way and the team looks like beginning to gel. Particularly impressed with Coates, never failed to put in a tackle. Kelly looks bit uncomfortable on the ball, he could improve his crosses into the box. Borini had an average game but must get himself more involved with the game instead of just watching along the Stevie - Suarez combo which is far too predictable to defenders..

Suarez, as usual played well except that when inside the box he'll need to look up for teamates who are in better scoring position, can't possibly dribble the ball pass every defender into the box and no one says he must score in every game and sometimes assist is equally important as scoring. Sterling played like a veteran, he has that burst of speed in him in the first 10 yards ala Owen and must use that often just outside the opposition box to beat defenders. He was fast to track back and looks as if he was on skates and managed to derail Balotelli a few times, I'm impressed. He deserves to start the next game.

Allen had a solid game and his positioning was good and being effective and not being noticed much. Andy did reasonably well but he has to make an effort to meet the crosses coming in and not waiting for the ball to land on his head. He'll need to do a Skrtel and with his physical attributes, not too many defenders can handle him.

We deserve the 3 points but happy with the draw.

Hope to see better movement in the final third to open up defences and not only relying on Stevie and Suarez to score.

little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #626: Aug 27, 2012 02:20:01 am
      Haha love the way he knew it was going in! :D
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,872 posts | 704 
      Reply #627: Aug 27, 2012 02:35:11 am
      Good performance, disappointing result. Much like last year at home.

Not getting carried away with the performance, it's only a few days since we struggled to beat Hearts and collapsed at West Brom, and we got similiar performances out of the players against City last year. It's getting them against the Wigans and West Broms that decide our campaigns.

Of course, to the owners, todays good performance means nothing at all. They will see us as in 16th place, 8 points off the top. The fact that only 2 games have been played means nothing to them, they're here to see us in the Top 4, and we're a long way off it atm. It's that simple.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #628: Aug 27, 2012 02:46:53 am
      Good performance, disappointing result. Much like last year at home.

Not getting carried away with the performance, it's only a few days since we struggled to beat Hearts and collapsed at West Brom, and we got similiar performances out of the players against City last year. It's getting them against the Wigans and West Broms that decide our campaigns.

Of course, to the owners, todays good performance means nothing at all. They will see us as in 16th place, 8 points off the top. The fact that only 2 games have been played means nothing to them, they're here to see us in the Top 4, and we're a long way off it atm. It's that simple.
      I think it is a bit harsh to compare the side that played Hearts to the side we had out against City.I mentioned in an earlier post that I was pleased with the effort and total commitment the lads put in against City,if they perform to that standard for the rest of the season the only things we should have to complain about is the ref and linesmen.And Ferguson of course.
      Speke Up Redmen
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 68 posts |
      • I wear a jesters hat in the Kop like a whopper!!
      Reply #629: Aug 27, 2012 02:56:49 am
      Well it does also show that Sterling has done more in his first two starts for the reds than Downing has done in a whole season.

Hopefully Adam Morgan might be called upon over the next few games as well possibly starting against Hearts on Thursday night. These youngsters have performed fantastically in the reserves, the academy and also pre-season. Just give them a chance and a fair crack of the whip in the first team as they'll want to impress and we can only hope that they can perform to the highest level they can consistently.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #630: Aug 27, 2012 07:10:36 am
      Hands up who feared the absolute worst when Lucas came off, how many times did we get overrun by sh*te sides last season without him there? I know i was grasping for a fresh pair of kegs. But we maintained, more than that we dominated the midfield of the championswithout Lucas. It feels funny even saying it. No one man was burdened with the responsibility and Rodgers should be applauded for that due to a.) Getting Allen in who's perfect for what we need and what we're going for and B.) his system and getting the other midfielders to pull their fingers out of their arse. We need to keep that going.

I'm sat here grinning like a pr**k, the amount of youth in that side was really encouraging and Brendan deserves great credit for showing them all faith, which they all to a man repaid.

Allen looks top class, Assaidi, Nuri F***ing SAHIN and maybe one or two more still to come in, we've got less older players than many a year and bunch of quality lads brimming with youth and desire with up being the only destination to go and a manager who seemingly seems capable and willing to guide them there.

We'll surely make more mistakes and jitter along the way to real possession domination and consistency with the new system and all but thats what we're going for, total domination. I'd rather strive for that, make some F**k ups and be patient than just throw sh*t together and cross my fingers and hope Suarez has a great game. It's not gonna' be easy or immediate and mistakes should be expected , especially this early obviously.

I certainly think we can get there. Proud of 'em all and genuinely hopeful overall i must say.

Next game please

linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #631: Aug 27, 2012 07:43:57 am
      Sterling  17 years
      Kelly 22 years
      Jonjo 20 years
      Allen 22 years
      Borini 21 years
      Coates 21 years

Promising display by these youngsters!
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #632: Aug 27, 2012 08:00:45 am
      Kelly - 22
      Coates - 21
      Shelvey - 20
      Allen - 22
      Lucas - 25
      Sterling - 17
      Henderson - 22
      Borini - 21
      Carroll - 23
      Assaidi - 24
      Suarez - 25

Thats frightening how young the guys are - such a solid foundation full of youth
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #633: Aug 27, 2012 08:48:13 am
      Well Done All the boys yesterday did us proud gutted for Skrtel he was immense for 99.9% of the game..
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #634: Aug 27, 2012 08:51:48 am
      Really unlucky not to win but if we keep performing like that it's good times ahead

Ynwa
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #635: Aug 27, 2012 09:23:33 am
      Did anyone notice Balotelli go to Luis Suarez and shake hands with him as they were waiting to come out on the pitch.I thought it was a nice gesture and my opinion of the man went up in my estimation.I think Luis appreciated it as well
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #636: Aug 27, 2012 09:54:00 am
      ^^
      I like him anyway especially as he's never any good against us!!!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,872 posts | 704 
      Reply #637: Aug 27, 2012 09:58:03 am
      Quote from Billy1
      I was pleased with the effort and total commitment the lads put in against City,if they perform to that standard for the rest of the season the only things we should have to complain about is the ref and linesmen.And Ferguson of course.

I think we know that we won't play to that standard for the rest of the season. Years of experience has shown us that we can play well against the Top 4 sides at home, only to fall apart again against sh*t teams the very next game. We played great in the last home game against Chelsea, then went back to type the next game and lost, which is the most recent example.

We saw yesterday, there are communication issues in defence which need serious working on, or else more mistakes from them will be punished as they have been. And they ultimately wreck seasons.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #638: Aug 27, 2012 10:01:59 am
      I think we know that we won't play to that standard for the rest of the season. Years of experience has shown us that we can play well against the Top 4 sides at home, only to fall apart again against sh*t teams the very next game. We played great in the last home game against Chelsea, then went back to type the next game and lost, which is the most recent example.

We saw yesterday, there are communication issues in defence which need serious working on, or else more mistakes from them will be punished as they have been. And they ultimately wreck seasons.

And here was little old me feeling so content with myself after a good match,all I can say to you is get behind the lads and give them a chance and more importantly some encouragement.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #639: Aug 27, 2012 10:04:19 am
      Just want to say when a team starts Tika Taka football, there is bound to be a few mistakes. But as the season goes on there will be less. Thought we played very well and were unlucky to not get the three points. Hope we can progress through the season well.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,018 posts | 3955 
      Reply #640: Aug 27, 2012 10:07:30 am
      Gutted for Martin giving away a goal after a flawless performance, disappointed in the same way we did not come away with all the points. Citeh were dead lucky to salvage anything.
      They were not allowed to play like champions and the omens are good in light of the fact the squad can only improve.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #641: Aug 27, 2012 10:08:19 am
      Like many games in the the past where we played well enough and had the result in the bag we go and shoot ourself in the the foot.It was an error and i'm sure he feels as sick as everyone at the game yesterday but it's only 2 games in and signs are there to only get better.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #642: Aug 27, 2012 10:20:57 am
      Like everyone really disappointed in the result, but it was for the most part a very good performance.

I think Allen will become a very important player for us.  He may not have been the top of everyones shopping list, but BR obviously wanted him and I know it is only 2 games in but I can see why.  Very pleased to see Sterling given his chance, and thought he did very well - like many young players he seems to have no fear of the opposition.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #643: Aug 27, 2012 11:31:28 am
      Said before the game that I'd take a draw so it'll do for me.

Can't really comment too much on the game as I'm watching it back now as yesterday is a bit of a blur.

Pretty much what everybody else has said up to now though - Allen and Sterling the stand outs and major positives to come from the way in which we are adapting to the new styles of play.

Not wishing my life away like but I'm excited at the thought of us this time next year.

Also, absolutely amazing (once again) the way in which a high volume of forum members are absent when we avoid defeat and there is actually something positive to talk about.

Quick Reply