Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

Season Expectations

Read 33191 times
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,869 posts | 165 
      Re: Season Expectations
      Reply #23: Sep 01, 2012 02:03:14 pm
      8th , maybe higher if a striker aquired in Jan. Theres alot of creativity in the side, Just need a goal hanger.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #24: Sep 01, 2012 02:03:37 pm
      It only takes 1 to win a game.  Taking his scoring rate from last season, I'm expecting Suarez to net around 17-20, he does have a 1 in 2.5, Borini gets in to good positions, don't think it's two much to ask for 15 from him and ask for 10-15 from the players that fill the 3rd spot in our attacking triumvirate. Add 10-15 from midfield and 5-10 from defenders, PLUS maybe a touch of optimism and faith in our players from us fans, though that does seem too much to ask, from what I've been reading.
      suarez scored 11 league goals last season so you expect him to double that tally.Borini getting 15 is a F***ing joke.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #25: Sep 01, 2012 02:06:47 pm
      Comfortable 3rd, and no, im not joking. Im sure Luis will score 20+ and providing the world doesnt end in december 2012, BR will be allowed to buy some players on Jan after proving his worth.

QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #26: Sep 01, 2012 02:08:12 pm
      suarez scored 11 league goals last season so you expect him to double that tally.Borini getting 15 is a f**king joke.
      i expect him to, and he will. Remember he was out for 9 matches last year...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #27: Sep 01, 2012 02:08:15 pm
      Very low expectations now,

6th and miserable.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #28: Sep 01, 2012 02:12:09 pm
      suarez scored 11 league goals last season so you expect him to double that tally.Borini getting 15 is a F***ing joke.

11 in 29 games, is 17 to 20 in 38 such a stretch?
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #29: Sep 01, 2012 02:22:21 pm
      11 in 29 games, is 17 to 20 in 38 such a stretch?
      Bingo, plus his head might have been a little bit overwhelmed with his other problems. Trust him, he will deliver.
      PLUS the skipper was out for most of the season, and him an Suarez seem to understand each other well (how many of Stevie´s goals last season were assists from Luis?).

Bottom line, i trust the team, and im confident on the xtra effort the lads will give given our limitations.

3rd
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #30: Sep 01, 2012 02:42:15 pm
      8th , maybe higher if a striker aquired in Jan. Theres alot of creativity in the side, Just need a goal hanger.

I agree.
      ozziboi7
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #31: Sep 01, 2012 02:45:41 pm
      I thought if we replaced Carroll and recruited 1 other, then we'd at least be challenging for fourth. After the disappointments of last night my expectations have to be lower. However, I believe in Rodgers' system and I think as long as we get the rub of the green in terms of injuries and scoring goals then we can still challenge. My hope = 4th, my expectation= 5th/6th.

In Rodgers we trust!
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #32: Sep 01, 2012 02:45:58 pm
      Although we do have some very good players we are certainly lacking a real goalscorer. If you look at last seasons table you will see that to challenge 4th you need to be scoring 60+ goals, last season we scored 47. Now Carroll, Bellamy, Kuyt and Maxi are all gone Im sure I read they contributed to 37% of our goal tally last season which means that we need to find an extra 20-30 goals from somewhere, although I trust Borini and Assaidi are good players Im almost certain that they cant score that many in their first season, infact they may struggle for 10-15 between them.

We have very few options for our attacking 3, sure Gerrard Shelvey an a few youngsters can play up top like but we really only have Suarez Borini Sterling Downing an Assaidi which in a season were we could potentially play around 60 games we WILL struggle with that. Someone like Dempsey would have been capable of getting 10-20 goals but we never got anyone so the players will have even more pressure on them to bag some extra goals.

Anyway, back to the main point.. I realistically think that we wont finish in the top 4/5, cannot see us finishing higher than any of Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea. Maybe 6th is a realistic target although we will face tough competition from Newcastle, Everton an maybe a few others. I actually think playing in the Europa League may be our downfall this season, playing every thursday-sunday surely cant be good. I read that we play Anzhi in Moscow on one thursday then on the sunday were away to Chelsea. We seen what happened with Stoke last season Im sure they only picked up 1 point from the 6 games they had on the sunday following EL games.
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #33: Sep 01, 2012 02:50:54 pm
      F***ing hell. We failed to sign Dempsey and suddenly we're a mid-table team.

If Gerrard performs like we expect him to,  if Suarez starts scoring goals like he did at Ajax, if Downing starts performing (unlikely) and if Borini can get some goals I think we'll definitely finish in the top 6 at least.

Then there's Sterling and Shelvey, who could get a few goals and Assaidi. Some goals should also come from the defenders, too.

I'd be very worried if by January we'll be struggling to score goals and FSG won't give any money to buy a goal scorer, though. In that case I'll gladly join all the doomsayers.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,932 posts | 283 
      Reply #34: Sep 01, 2012 02:53:17 pm
      I for one am setting no expectations this season. We have to face it, we are in transition. The painful thing is we should have been here 2 years ago.

Look at the current squad:

Pick 3: Sterling, Yesil, Suarez, Assaidi, Borini, Cole, Morgan, Downing
      Pick 3: Gerrard, Sahin, Allen, Lucas, Shelvey, Henderson, Suso.
      Pick 4: Johnson, Enrique, Agger, Skrtel, Coates, Carra, Robinson, Wilson, Flannagan, Coady, (Downing)
      Pick 1: Reina, Jones, Gulacsi

That has to be the youngest squad we have had in a long long time.

Apart from the first 9 that pretty much pick themselves, any cover/subs are all up for grabs this year including 2 of the front 3 slots alongside Suarez. Hopefully a very competitive vibe in the team to get in the starting lineup but no doubt about it Brendan has alot of work to do.

I obviously want top 4 as with everyone else, but realistically i can see us being up there (which will be an improvement on last season) but can see up being piped to the last slot behind, Manure, Citee and Chavs by either the Toons, Gunners or Spurs.

Depressing but pretty much a reality of where we are right now.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #35: Sep 01, 2012 02:56:15 pm
      I for one am setting no expectations this season. We have to face it, we are in transition. The painful thing is we should have been here 2 years ago.

Look at the current squad:

Pick 3: Sterling, Yesil, Suarez, Assaidi, Borini, Cole, Morgan, Downing
      Pick 3: Gerrard, Sahin, Allen, Lucas, Shelvey, Henderson, Suso.
      Pick 4: Johnson, Enrique, Agger, Skrtel, Coates, Carra, Robinson, Wilson, Flannagan, Coady, (Downing)
      Pick 1: Reina, Jones, Gulacsi

That has to be the youngest squad we have had in a long long time.

Apart from the first 9 that pretty much pick themselves, any cover/subs are all up for grabs this year including 2 of the front 3 slots alongside Suarez. Hopefully a very competitive vibe in the team to get in the starting lineup but no doubt about it Brendan has alot of work to do.

I obviously want top 4 as with everyone else, but realistically i can see us being up there (which will be an improvement on last season) but can see up being piped to the last slot behind, Manure, Citee and Chavs by either the Toons or Spurs.

Depressing but pretty much a reality of where we are right now.

Another way of looking at it is Young is another word for "cheap".
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #36: Sep 01, 2012 02:58:11 pm

But a way at looking at old is over-the-hill, but neither your interpretation or my example are the whole story, are they?
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,932 posts | 283 
      Reply #37: Sep 01, 2012 02:59:12 pm

True, but at least the players coming on and filling the cover slots have promise rather than peaking at the other end of their careers which is a help for subsequent seasons when they attempt to break into the starting 11.

I think we still will have a pass and style move and be quite competitive (we completely owned City last week), I'm just concerned of the lack of goal scorers as with everyone else.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #38: Sep 01, 2012 03:00:58 pm
      True, but at least the players coming on and filling the cover slots have promise rather than peaking at the other end of their careers which is a help for subsequent seasons when they attempt to break into the starting 11.

I think we still will have a pass and style move and be quite competitive (we completely owned City last week), I'm just concerned of the lack of goal scorers as with everyone else.
      We have had a pass and move style for 50 years it didnt happen since Brendan arrived.
      Last season we were punished for lack of goals its hard to see how that will change before January.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,932 posts | 283 
      Reply #39: Sep 01, 2012 03:15:00 pm
      We have had a pass and move style for 50 years it didnt happen since Brendan arrived.
      Last season we were punished for lack of goals its hard to see how that will change before January.
      I agree that is a concern, but i'm not arguing that point. I'm stating its better for the team as a whole in the future to have some youth on the bench that will benefit with game time rather than a bunch of 30 year olds.

I never said Brendan brought pass and move...
      I think we still will have a pass and style move and be quite competitive
      Ok I'm a bit  dyslexic this morning!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #40: Sep 01, 2012 03:16:45 pm
      I agree that is a concern, but i'm not arguing that point. I'm stating its better for the team as a whole in the future to have some youth on the bench that will benefit with game time rather than a bunch of 30 year olds.

I never said Brendan brought pass and move...Ok I'm a bit  dyslexic this morning!
      I have argued for years that we shouldnt be buying players for £5mil or less as we have an Academy full of that sort who need a chance to shine.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #41: Sep 01, 2012 03:26:37 pm
      We have 18 games to play in the league before the window opens,if we can get some good wins under our belt and get up round 4th 5th 6th,Brendan will strengthen again and i think we will be it the top 6th at a push challenge for 4th.

Was a major F**k up not bringing in a replacement for Andy,Only time will tell how Assaidi and Sahin fit in and how many goals they can chip in with. 
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,563 posts | 1497 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #42: Sep 01, 2012 04:15:48 pm
      I just cant see this squad scoring more than the the 47(?) we scored last season. Hopefully Im wrong and Suarez hits some fine form in front of goal and Borini turns out to be an awesome scorer.. Also lets hope some of the players we havnt seen yet have an eye for goal.. for some reason I am excited about Assaidi (Spelling?)
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #43: Sep 01, 2012 04:19:53 pm
      About 8th for me if we are lucky to have no injuries to Suarez or Gerrard maybe a decent run in the FA cup as well.

Really shouldnt be the expectations for a club like Liverpool.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #44: Sep 01, 2012 04:24:03 pm
      About 8th for me if we are lucky to have no injuries to Suarez or Gerrard maybe a decent run in the FA cup as well.

Really shouldnt be the expectations for a club like Liverpool.

the day we stop expecting Liverpool football club to win th eleague is the time to worry and thats getting close now.If we had kept the squad from last year and added a good partner for Luis i think we would have done well but we are weaker now than last year so I really dont want to admit that we are capable of no better than 8th or worse.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #45: Sep 01, 2012 04:27:35 pm
      I'll say 6th is what we'll finish. I expected at least 5th but we never got the players up top we desperately needed.

Quick Reply