Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Our squad for now

Read 12389 times
      Bier
      Re: Our squad for now
      Reply #23: Sep 01, 2012 03:39:33 am

Don't disagree Bier, perhaps we should of kept Aqulani for the midfield an spent Allen's on a striker.

The whole Carroll debacle is another story.

Well, I do think that if beforehand we knew we had so little money to spend and so many positions to fill it might have been smarter to have been more creative with our spending. That type of fee is a bit hard to justify when after that you need to fill your other positions with loans. But, at the same time Allen is a brilliant player obviously, might become our best player this season even. But considering Brendan also sees this as a long term project, getting back in the top 4 in the next few seasons, I might have gone for more but cheaper talents from the get go instead. In a way it's weird that Brendan didn't go after more cheap targets, I expected him to know plenty having just been Swansea manager.

I don't know though, it's all just speculating. The owners are obviously cramping Brendan's style too to an extend. And not sure I can even blame them. Considering what they spend on Carroll, and now he's send out on loan. I can't imagine it's their choice he's send on loan. That's alot of money pissed down the drain, can't feel good.

But we're going to have to make the best of it now. I do have confidence Brendan can do that, get the best out of them. I'm just afraid the team doesn't have as much potential as I'd like.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #24: Sep 01, 2012 03:47:15 am
      Well, I do think that if beforehand we knew we had so little money to spend and so many positions to fill it might have been smarter to have been more creative with our spending. That type of fee is a bit hard to justify when after that you need to fill your other positions with loans. But, at the same time Allen is a brilliant player obviously, might become our best player this season even. But considering Brendan also sees this as a long term project, getting back in the top 4 in the next few seasons, I might have gone for more but cheaper talents from the get go instead. In a way it's weird that Brendan didn't go after more cheap targets, I expected him to know plenty having just been Swansea manager.

I don't know though, it's all just speculating. The owners are obviously cramping Brendan's style too to an extend. And not sure I can even blame them. Considering what they spend on Carroll, and now he's send out on loan. I can't imagine it's their choice he's send on loan. That's alot of money pissed down the drain, can't feel good.

But we're going to have to make the best of it now. I do have confidence Brendan can do that, get the best out of them. I'm just afraid the team doesn't have as much potential as I'd like.

Damn reasonable post, and like you say I guess time will tell.

One thing people have wanted for a while is to give the youngsters a chance, think we are going to see that in spades, hopefully what Rafa built there will give us some unexpected returns.
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #25: Sep 01, 2012 04:18:23 am
      We are pretty thin this year, but its not like we were F***ing thick with talent last year. Looking at all the players that left and came in, I honestly think we improved the squad this summer. Still a ways to go, as I think our starting XI can compete with any in the prem but we just aren't anywhere near the depth. Hopefully guys stay healthy, because we'll need it.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #26: Sep 01, 2012 05:14:37 am
      The one thing we needed more than most from last year - a goalscorer - is the thing we didn't even seem close to getting.  It's funny that the one player that people are angry/dismayed/disappointed we didn't get, Dempsey, was not everyones cup of tea anyway when he was first linked.

However, with those who left and those who have come in I think we are a stronger squad than last year.  I also think that if we have to rely on youngsters, I would rather that was in the front 3 than the middle 3.  One thing about BR is he will choose players on merit and seems prepared to give players a chance. 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #27: Sep 01, 2012 05:24:03 am
      We better get signing some more U21 players.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #28: Sep 01, 2012 07:06:50 am
      Our squad is better than many think. We dominated the champions of England and were unlucky not to win without the contribution of: Agger, Lucas, Assaidi, Sahin & with a misfiring Suarez!
      I believe there are reasons to be optimistic once those lads get onto the field playing, and in terms of strikers we have Assaidi, Sterling, Suarez, Borini & Morgan (three of which can play centre-forward). And who knows, we may see Gerrard playing up front as some suggest.
      I'll stay optimistic . .
      IBWT
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,726 posts | 3740 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #29: Sep 01, 2012 07:18:52 am
      Our squad is better than many think. We dominated the champions of England and were unlucky not to win without the contribution of: Agger, Lucas, Assaidi, Sahin & with a misfiring Suarez!
      I believe there are reasons to be optimistic once those lads get onto the field playing, and in terms of strikers we have Assaidi, Sterling, Suarez, Borini & Morgan (three of which can play centre-forward). And who knows, we may see Gerrard playing up front as some suggest.
      I'll stay optimistic . .
      IBWT
      At last some optimistic! We are fu**ed up but we need to continueour duty to support the same.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #30: Sep 01, 2012 07:25:20 am
      Slightly concerned we didn't get anybody in, fact is tho Carroll had to go.

His value would have only gone down further if he stayed so when he did go we in theory would have even less to get a replacement. Now he's gone hopefully he'll have a good season and we can still get a decent amount for him.

Re Dempsey I wasn't a massive fan and if Fulham accepted Villa's but not ours and they were they same then I'm glad we didn't get him. We shouldn't pay more just because they think we have more money.

Like someone has mentioned I think this means Stevie is one of the front 3, plus Downing would be as well if required so there's 5 players for 3 positions. Goal wise tho if BR has said we need at least 70 goals for at least  4th then I think we're going to struggle :(
      alliphone
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts | -32 
      Reply #31: Sep 01, 2012 07:35:01 am
      Based on only a single goal against Hearts with Gerrard, Suarez, Borini playing, I think our strikeforce will struggle.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #32: Sep 01, 2012 08:01:07 am
      I personally would,nt be against playing Gerrard through the middle, or the false No 9 as they tend to call it these days. As it stands hes playing just behind the front 3 but if we have to use the squad that we,ve got I,m sure Henderson or Cole could play that spot. That would have the 1st 11 looking like this :
                                   Riena

Johnson     Skrtle               Agger           Enrique

Allen               Sahin

Henderson   

Suarez                    Borini

Gerrard

Gerrard has bucket loads of goals in him. This could be an option if we do get some injuries but we have what we have until January. I,m not apposed to using Adam Morgan or the new boy. They are young but we did it with Owen when he was here.       
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #33: Sep 01, 2012 08:05:13 am
      I personally would,nt be against playing Gerrard through the middle, or the false No 9 as they tend to call it these days. As it stands hes playing just behind the front 3 but if we have to use the squad that we,ve got I,m sure Henderson or Cole could play that spot. That would have the 1st 11 looking like this :
                                   Riena

Henderson   

Gerrard

Gerrard has bucket loads of goals in him. This could be an option if we do get some injuries but we have what we have until January. I,m not apposed to using Adam Morgan or the new boy. They are young but we did it with Owen when he was here.       

Not bad at this point but I myself would have Jonjo in there versus Hendo.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #34: Sep 01, 2012 08:26:02 am
                                   Riena

Henderson   

Gerrard

That's all well and good.  And I agree it's very solid lineup.

But what do we do with injuries and in cup games.  We are so paper thin right now it actually hurts to think about.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #35: Sep 01, 2012 09:32:06 am
      Were no where near as bad as some would make out, in terms of having cover in every position were just about sorted.

I've seen people say were short in left back.

The same people champion Robinson.

I've seen people claim we have no cover at right wing.

The same people want to see Gerrard play there.

The only place we fall short in my opinion is an out and out goal scorer.

That should have been priority yesterday.

Its said Sturridge was approached on loan but only wanted a permanent move.

If that was the case and its who the manager wanted then £15m should have been stumped up, made up of our remaining budget and then some from next years.
      I STAN BULL
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -2 
      Reply #36: Sep 02, 2012 02:20:26 am
      We have problems if we are having to rely on two players who have played 3 senior games between them

Are u saying Stirling hasn't put in a good shift the games he played. Shame some senior players dnt take a leaf out of his book
      alliphone
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts | -32 
      Reply #37: Sep 02, 2012 04:08:22 pm
      Our goals in premier league so far came from setpieces.
      Showing our strikeforce now struggling.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #38: Sep 04, 2012 04:17:40 pm
                                      1. Jones (HG)
      2. Johnson (HG)
      3. Enrique
      4. Sahin
      5. Agger
      7. Suarez
      8. Gerrard (HG)
      10. J Cole (HG)
      11. Assaidi
      14. Henderson (HG)
      16. Coates
      19. Downing (HG)
      21. Lucas
      22. D Wilson
      23. Carragher (HG)
      24. Allen
                                    25. Reina
      29. Borini
                                    32. Doni
      34. Kelly (HG)
      37. Skrtel
                                    42. Gulacsi

33. Shelvey
      30. Suso
      31. Sterling
      ??. Pacheco
      ??. Yesil

Looking at that squad there will never be a better time for these youngsters to make a career for themselves here.

Edit:
      Put on the pitch we're currently looking something like this:

Reina

Johnson    Skrtel     Agger    Enrique

Allen       Sahin

Borini          Gerrard        Sterling

Suarez

Bench:

Jones, Kelly, Henderson, Coates, Downing, Carragher, Shelvey.

Gulacsi, Assaidi, Wilson, Suso, Pacheco, Yesil.

Injured:
      Lucas, Cole.

MIA:
      Doni.

« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2012 05:07:13 pm by racerx34 »
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #39: Sep 04, 2012 04:45:41 pm
      Can we not stick Brendan upfront himself?

Brendan Rodgers is a good Striker !
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #40: Sep 04, 2012 04:56:50 pm
      The lack of senior squad members will certainly force Rodgers into picking youth players to bolster the first team. This has (so far) worked well with Stirling, not so well with Morgan (so far). But considering we have a decent number of talented young lads eager to break into the first team it could be a blessing in disguise come the end of the season. We've had an incredibly low number of youth team players make it at senior level in the club over the past decade. This simply has to change for us to become competitive once more as we no longer have financial clout in the transfer market.

It's time to put our young lads to the test, lets see if they can make their mark!
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #41: Sep 04, 2012 05:00:41 pm
      There's a certain Jerome Sinclair who seems to be scoring goals for fun in the under age.

Fancy including him BR????
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #42: Sep 04, 2012 05:03:05 pm
      Any news on Texeira ? Any chance he could be involved ?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #43: Sep 04, 2012 05:03:57 pm
      Look at Stirling these lads should be saying to Brendan give me achance I can do as well as him its up to them this is probably the best time in a generation for young players.
      We have all raved about Pacheco its up to him now and the rest of them to get stuck in and prove to Brendan thet are good enough.
      borinired
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 40 posts |
      Reply #44: Sep 04, 2012 05:06:21 pm
      Should get Del piero for a year hes a free agent.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #45: Sep 04, 2012 05:08:54 pm
      I bet Jamie is a  bit pissed of didn't he used to be a centre Forward?

Quick Reply