Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 9th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D1 L0

John Henrys open letter to fans.

Read 37136 times
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Re: John Henrys open letter to fans.
      Reply #322: Sep 05, 2012 04:50:39 am

That should be 'Shut ya trap ALL ya c**ts'. That's not personal
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #323: Sep 05, 2012 06:12:23 am
      Sure I'll save you the time reading it crouchy. Football fans are angry; angry with transfer deadline day and then this letter. FSG fans, left embarrassed by what happened on deadline day and the letter, are feeling all defensive. Yes they (FSG fans) admit disappointment but are perplexed that anyone could be angry.

That should be you up to speed.  :nod:

"They"? Grow up.

We all want the same thing.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #324: Sep 05, 2012 07:54:03 am
      Not surprised about the defence of fsg by some posters. Hicks and Gillette when defended to near the end by some posters you only have to go back to the thread and see.

In about 18 months time I bet there will be a whole lot more agreement on fsg.

As people on here knew from the start I was not fsg number 1 fan knew we wouldn't compete with them as owners.

ilikeliverpool
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Reply #325: Sep 05, 2012 07:59:55 am
      Not surprised about the defence of fsg by some posters. Hicks and Gillette when defended to near the end by some posters you only have to go back to the thread and see.

As people on here knew from the start I was not fsg number 1 fan knew we wouldn't compete with them as owners.

Can't believe anyone still supported them by the end.

I really don't think these are anything like them.

I think whoever our owners are at this current time we'd struggle to compete as the damage has already been done and the effects are still being felt.

Whoever took over after them you could say that we wouldn't compete with them as owners, unless it was some sugar daddy who got in before FFP.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #326: Sep 05, 2012 08:04:16 am
      I think the bubble may have burst on fsg a bit,when they came into the club they were seen as white knights charging in to save us from the evil twit and tw*t.

But with the ruthless sacking of kenny and the deadline day fiasco things aint looking to rosy in the garden at the moment.

Now I'm not going to say get rid sell up yanks out just yet because we don't really know how bad a state financially the club really was in when they first arrived,but I feel another bad move and the majority of fans will turn and to be honest it's the last thing we need.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #327: Sep 05, 2012 09:28:36 am

Does being right mean that much to you it takes priority over what's good for the club ? You are no doubt passionate about Liverpool but you currently just seem to want to prove you are right about everything immaterial to how it effects everything.

Maybe I'm as bad at times but for god sake give the crusade a rest and realise that others could possibly have a differing opinion and that opinion could be right and you could be wrong.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #328: Sep 05, 2012 09:36:00 am

Come on corbally as much as the current owners have annoyed many of us over the sacking of Kenny Dalglish and their actions over the summer transfer window, you have to admit they are by far the better owners than Twit and tw*t were.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #329: Sep 05, 2012 10:10:54 am
      I have been off the forum for a few days. Have to admit, couldn't bring myself to even think about LFC after the performance in Sunday. I did read the 'open letter' however. I have two views on it.

1) I will have to admit, I feel it is difficult to criticise FSG too much for what they did in saving this club from Hicks and Gillett. They wiped the debt and initially spent a hell of a lot of money on player recruitment, probably too much.

However,

2) While it is good to communicate with the fans, I just don't kno what to make of all these 'open letters'. Whatever you may say about our fans, the majority are smart people and won't be taken for a ride.

Overall, I genuinely hope FSG are looking out for the club and the clubs best interested, as opposed to their own. I am not sure whether or not that is the case but it is quickly getting to the point where I need to see evidence that they are, before I can continue to support them in the same way.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,668 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #330: Sep 05, 2012 11:57:12 am
      They wiped the debt and initially spent a hell of a lot of money on player recruitment, probably too much.

More like the money from Torres, Babel and Meireles would now appear to be wasted.
      That's a horrible indictment of the regime if that cash injection from Chelsea ( Torres and Meireles. ) was our one big roll of the dice.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #331: Sep 05, 2012 12:29:48 pm
      Sure I'll save you the time reading it crouchy. Football fans are angry; angry with transfer deadline day and then this letter. FSG fans, left embarrassed by what happened on deadline day and the letter, are feeling all defensive. Yes they (FSG fans) admit disappointment but are perplexed that anyone could be angry.

That should be you up to speed.  :nod:

Don't get carried away mate.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,755 posts | 7179 
      Reply #332: Sep 05, 2012 12:31:29 pm
      the "debt" was the purchase price so they effectively bought a world icon of football for £300mil.
      The sale of Torres and Mireles plus others that season will have exceeded £75mil+
      We need a NET spend of £100mil to get the squad back up to CL standard.They say they will no tput the club in jeopardy, check out the league table.
      They really need a re-think about their stratergy and whether a plan B is needed.
      Starting with an Anfield based Chairman who will take full control of the club rpeorting to FSG but we need a fully functioning Anfield board.
      ilikeliverpool
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Reply #333: Sep 05, 2012 12:34:36 pm
      Makes me laugh that people who have a different opinion on FSG to the majority are called "FSG fans"!

I'm a fan of LFC, not FSG, but i'm not going to have a go at them just because they're not picking up the pieces as well as they could be.  There were a sh*t load of pieces to pick up.

EDIT - actually that's a lie, i will have a go at them, but not immediately think that the solution is that they should sell the club and leave.  Because i don't think anyone else could do much better.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #334: Sep 05, 2012 12:58:35 pm
      More like the money from Torres, Babel and Meireles would now appear to be wasted.
      That's a horrible indictment of the regime if that cash injection from Chelsea ( Torres and Meireles. ) was our one big roll of the dice.

That's a valid point. I can't admit to knowing an awful lot about how clubs finances go. I would be awful at running a football club.

;D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,369 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #335: Sep 05, 2012 01:14:40 pm
      Not surprised about the defence of fsg by some posters.

Equally not surprising how quick others turned on them
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #336: Sep 05, 2012 01:35:02 pm
      Makes me laugh that people who have a different opinion on FSG to the majority are called "FSG fans"!

I'm a fan of LFC, not FSG, but i'm not going to have a go at them just because they're not picking up the pieces as well as they could be.  There were a sh*t load of pieces to pick up.

EDIT - actually that's a lie, i will have a go at them, but not immediately think that the solution is that they should sell the club and leave.  Because i don't think anyone else could do much better.
      Most off the people on this forum could do a better job than FSG

First, move Ian Ayre back to finance

Second, employ a real MD

Look it has taken me less than a minute to start doing a better job than FSG
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #337: Sep 05, 2012 03:36:56 pm
      The comparisons with H&G are beyond ridiculous, not arsed what anyone says.

The only similarity FSG have failed to accomplish even remotely comparable with H&G is their failure to appoint a top quality CEO this side of the pond. Stated earlier in the thread my feelings on the matter, but we really do need an experienced, innovative footballing man watching over matters in L4. Ian Ayre should not be an influential figure in relation to on pitch matters at this club. The commercial aspect? Hes done a great job, but thats where his involvement should end.

How anyone can compare the process of making the club self-sufficient to the demolition job those two Cancers inflicted upon us is genuinely beyond me. After the fiasco's at Rangers, Portsmouth, Malaga.. Christ even what happened to us two years ago. Im genuinely shocked at how many people are so eager to dismiss the changes they've tried to implement as mere "Cost cutting" and "asset stripping" exercises. Do people forget we posted a -£30 million operating loss just a few months ago? (Thats excluding H&G's £50 million stadium drawings by the way)

Our wage structure had doubled within the past 6 years. I see people seething at the contracts offered to Cole (100k+ a week), Carra (100k+ a week) and Aquilani (80k+ a week) in one thread, then posting their outrage in another thread at the fact the wage bill was being cut. We have been offering Top 4 contracts to players who were not delivering top 4 performances, if we had continued offering those salaries to average players we would ultimately have gone tits up. Kick and scream all you like, It f**king needed addressing.

(Courtesy of Veincintno De Mayo on RAWK)

Im not an FSG apologist, Im not an FSG "fan", and Im as furious with the climax to the transfer window as anyone on this forum. But I genuinely believe they do have a plan and a desire to make Liverpool Football Club successful again. They have made mistakes, and they will make plenty more. It was never going to be a quick fix, and I doubt we'll be challenging for major honors for at least a few seasons.

But I'd rather see the long term future of my football club prioritized, safe in the knowledge that we are self sufficient, rather than have some Arab Oil Tycoon fly in, throw a couple hundreds of millions at players, get bored after a couple of seasons and then f**k off leaving us in turmoil (RE: Malaga). If that means I have to wait another 2 years to see the fruits of our labor & challenging back at the top.. I'll f**king wait.

Feel free to throw the "Christ are ye John Henry" line at me, and no I havent been employed to spread FSG PR bullshit to the masses. Im trying to look at the situation we were in 2 years ago with the one we currently lie. I understand peoples frustration, believe it or not I share it. But when you read statements such as "we have gone backwards under FSG", or "They're as bad as H&G" it really leaves me sitting here shaking my head in despair at sometimes.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #338: Sep 05, 2012 03:54:23 pm
      "They"? Grow up.

We all want the same thing.

Steady on there Priscilla and listen to yourself for a minute. Throwing your dolly out of the pram over the word "they". Why; because "We all want the same thing".

That same sentiment didn't come into it when you were applauding another poster for calling the vast majority of posters on here "cu*ts".  :roll:
                                                ------------------------------------

Anyhow; (I'll moderate myself here): back on topic... the letter:

Mr Henry's open letter was ill-conceived and way too contrived. Well meaning or not; It was only ever going to placate those who already whole-heartedly believe (in FSG) and was never going to fool those who smell bull-sh*t a mile off.

Much better a simple: "We fu**ed up; we know it; we take full responsibility... it won't happen again" letter/statement in my opinion.

Anger abated and need to vent finally sated; I'll draw my own personal line under the past few days disappointment and say... What's done is done and hopefully lessons have been learned.

I know this sounds like Deja vu but we will all know soon enough.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #339: Sep 05, 2012 04:05:56 pm
      Good post Dan

The problem I have with the whole FSG debate is you can't be deemed to be somewhere in the middle on them..
      I can certainly say I am somewhere in the middle, I can see the great work they have done as you have pointed out above, and very well at that.. But I can also see things that in my opinion they are getting wrong..

They certainly are no H&G, anyone who thinks so well you have to wonder what's going on in their noggin.

I have said earlier today, that they have possibly taken their eye off "moving the squad forward" whilst they are sorting the financial side out..
      There is no doubt for me that going in with 19 senior players into a season where we are competing in 4 competitions and attempting to get back into the CL is potentially negligent at best.

I don't want them gone, I just want them to potentially reassess what is required from them to get us back into the CL.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #340: Sep 05, 2012 04:07:12 pm
      I'm new here but have spent a few days reading posts. I'm not an FSG plant but I do want to offer a more balanced view of things because the issue at LFC is not as black and white as some here believe. There's more than enough blame to go around and it needs sorting from the top to the bottom.

The transfer deadline day saga is a distraction and cannot solely be put down to FSG's lack of funding. Rodgers was given a budget, albeit to overhaul a team in desperate need of overhauling but knowing full well that we needed a natural and proven finisher, he instead spent most of his budget on buying two Midfielders - Assaidi and Allen - and made a conscious decision to only bring in one striker. Knowing that he'd already made this decision, he then made a further decision to let Carroll go before obtaining a replacement. It's often alluded to the length of time he's been in management so he should have had enough experience to agree to the loan in principle, told West Ham yes, they can have him if we could sign a replacement in time. So as far as the actual transfer debacle goes, the blame lies squarely on Brendon Rodgers' shoulders, not Ian Ayre's, not FSG's.

However, having said this, there needs to be a separation between the two issues. What I do agree with is that Mr Henry has no bloody idea what he's talking about in that letter. His entire philosophy is based upon altruism which as we as we all know, is rarer than rocking horse sh*t in this league. No realistic fan believes we can compete with Chelsea, Man U and City for finances but that doesn't mean you don't demonstrate your commitment to being competitive within your peer group. Ours, it would seem, is Spurs, Newcastle and Arsenal. If the owners do not show the players that they're willing to invest, that their ambition and hunger for success matches their own, then those players will simply leave and go to clubs whose owners do. Without senior players the youth have no role models within the club, no one to aspire to, no one to guide them, and like those senior players, the cream of our youth crop will then be handing in transfer requests to leave for bigger clubs where their role models lie, and where, like the senior players, the owner's ambition matches their own.

This is the key thing he's not addressing. Whether we like it or not, Football is a business and like any other business, Football needs investment before you can see a return on that investment. It's frankly insulting to our intelligence to say that he bought the club without wanting a return on that investment, and knowing that he does regardless of his idiotic claims, he needs to invest in to it in a variety of areas, both on and off the field, in order to see a return on that investment. Again, I'm not suggesting that we can compete with City but we can follow the city model, albeit within our own budget. City invested in players good enough to get them in to the Champion's League. Once they where in they then invested in players good enough to compete in the Champion's League and compete for the title. Those players they originally signed became surplus to requirements and where moved on. At the same time as this investment was going on, City have been heavily investing in their youth academy system with a view to long term stability and growth so that they're not reliant upon paying exorbitant transfer fees and wages.

This is what we should be doing. Buying players who are good enough to get us to the next level alongside youth development, alongside commercial partnerships. If they haven't got the money then they need to look for investment opportunities to help fund the short term so that the long term success via the youth system works.

But the problems at LFC go back to the beginnings of the Premiership with a failure to recognise that Football was changing and becoming more business orientated. Unlike Utd, we didn't invest in commercial ventures. LFC continued to be run as a club. We didn't expand our fan base, we didn't look to penetrate new territories for bringing the LFC "brand" to, we sat on our arses and let other clubs do that, allowed them to break in to new markets, develop new fan bases, all the while they where getting richer whilst we where getting poorer. The problems at Liverpool have been going on for years and FSG at least recognise that and are attempting to change that. The summer tour of the U.S., the Fox documentary, both are with a view to raising our profile within the U.S. But all of this will be for naught unless FSG invest in the hear and now because no one is going to be interested in watching a documentary about or buying a shirt of a team that's firmly routed in mid-table obscurity. A short term fix doesn't need to be a risk, it's an investment that will bear fruit in the future and provide them with a healthy return on their £300 million investment but it is something that is very much needed right now.
      redpool
      • Forum David Johnson

• 217 posts |
      Reply #341: Sep 05, 2012 04:07:26 pm
      Our few remaining quality players will leave if we are to endure two or three more years of mid-table mediocrity and we can forget about attracting top players to LfC unless we can afford to spend crazy money like Man City.   :'(
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #342: Sep 05, 2012 04:09:49 pm
      Of course they are "not as bad" as H+G but is that really something for them to be proud about?

Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #343: Sep 05, 2012 04:12:00 pm
       The wages we were paying are comparable with the other teams who expected to win the EPL or Champions league

You don't get a Ferrari for the cost off a mini , we were a team who competed at the highest level and with that come higher wages

Now it seem as if we are expected to compete with Champion league teams on a Euro league budget

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,755 posts | 7179 
      Reply #344: Sep 05, 2012 04:15:36 pm
      We havent made any progress on the pitch under FSG thats all that matters.I expect them top ensure the financial stability of the club but I also expect them to mange the club in such a way that the correct people are in place to do this.
      They have failed to do this in two years of ownership and here we are in the bottom 2 in the league without a recognised CF.
      They like to blame Kenny ~Comolli everyone bar themselves but the buck stops with them and it is for them to sort it out and maybe they realise they cant do it from Boston and need a much stronger board presence at Anfield where it should have always been.

Quick Reply