Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Steven Gerrard and where he plays. The biggest problem for Brendan?

Read 9025 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Steven Gerrard and where he plays. The biggest problem for Brendan?
      Sep 17, 2012 01:06:15 pm
      After seeing Gerrard play a much deeper role at the weekend following on from a performance against Arsenal where he was poor and didn't seem to know where he was playing is it possible that the manager doesn't know or is yet to find out where he sees the captain in his team.

Against Arsenal I thought Gerrard was awful and to me it looked like he was trying to be everywhere while actually doing very little. It didn't look like he was playing a role the manager would want as I feel he should have been the furthest forward of the midfield three but too many times he was back in front of the back four in space where Allen was playing.

Against Sunderland it was clear that the manager changed things with a two and a one in midfield with Gerrard sitting beside Allen. Now I think he played well here especially second half but for me it was a role that doesn't get the best of the player and also a role that can be played just as well by others in the squad.

You could easily have Henderson or Sahin with Allen and I don't think it would have harmed our game at all.

Henderson Allen                 Allen Sahin

Shelvey                              Shelvey

I also think that Jonjo deserves his place in the side and on the evidence of the weekend Brendan feels the same but is moving Gerrard to a position where he has less impact on the game the best way to get Shelvey in the team? Also what happens when Sahin is fully up to speed with the rest of the team?

Brendan has talked in the past about Gerrard being one of the attacking players and originally has played him as the furthest forward of the three whereas he was the deepest of the three at the weekend.

Is the moving about of the Captain because the manager feels he is the best player for those positions or is it because he can't yet find a role for him that gets the best out of both him and the team?
      « Last Edit: Sep 17, 2012 01:47:29 pm by srslfc »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,628 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Steven Gerrard and where he plays. The biggest problem for Brendan?
      Reply #1: Sep 17, 2012 01:09:20 pm
      After seeing Gerrard play a much deeper role at the weekend following on from a performance against Arsenal where he was poor and didn't seem to know where he was playing is it possible that the manager doesn't know or is yet to find out where he sees the captain in his team.

Against Arsenal I thought Gerrard was awful and to me it looked like he was trying to be everywhere while actually doing very little. It didn't look like he was playing a role the manager would want as I feel he should have been the furthest forward of the midfield three but too many times he was back in front of the back four in space where Allen was playing.

Against Sunderland it was clear that the manager changed things with a two and a one in midfield with Gerrard sitting beside Allen. Now I think he played well here especially second half but former it was a role that doesn't get the best of the player and also a role that can be played just as well by others in the squad.

You could easily have Henderson or Sahin with Allen and I don't think it would have harmed our game at all.

Henderson Allen                 Allen Sahin

Shelvey                              Shelvey

I also think that Jonjo deserves his place in the side and on the evidence of the weekend Brendan feels the same but is moving Gerrard to a position where he has less impact on the game the best way to get Shelvey in the team? Also what happens when Sahin is fully up to speed with the rest of the team?

Brendan has talked in the past about Gerrard being one if the attacking players and originally has played him as the furthest forward of the three whereas he was the deepest of the three at the weekend.

Is the moving about of the Captain because the manage feels he is the best player for those positions or is it because he can't yet find a role for him that gets the best out of both him and the team?

Brendan spoke a lot about the differences between a 2-1 and a 1-2 midfield.
      It may be that he has realised that, as things stand, our midfield is better suited to a 2-1.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2: Sep 17, 2012 01:10:40 pm
      For me for the moment it should be

GK

RB      CH                 CH   LB

GERRARD

CM                CM

RF                CF               LF

He need to be the one controlling the game for us almost like a quarter back if ye like. Sit in front of teh back 4 protecting them and when he gets on the ball he opens up teh opposition. Also this tika taka stuff with the keeper rolling the ball or palying it short, well Gerrard for me is the most safe player in the squad to recieve the ball deep turn and create

Just my opino though I can understand others saying up front or behind the front 2.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #3: Sep 17, 2012 01:32:38 pm
      I have to totally disagree Brian with where you have him.

Gerrard isn't disciplined on the ball enough to play that role , he doesn't keep possesion well enough and he just can't sit. He needs to be higher up the pitch. Lucas should be that role with Allen/Gerrard/ Sahin the two roles ahead.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #4: Sep 17, 2012 01:33:07 pm
       I thought Gerrard was excellent against Sunderland and bossed it. Not only did he protect our back four brilliantly, but he was very unlucky not to score an equaliser on one of the few occasions he went forward. Infact, one of the reasons why I don't think we miss Lucas as much as some is that if Brendan wants to play a central two, for me if Allen and Gerrard are fit they are it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #5: Sep 17, 2012 01:41:48 pm
      Brendan spoke a lot about the differences between a 2-1 and a 1-2 midfield.
      It may be that he has realised that, as things stand, our midfield is better suited to a 2-1.

It was interesting to hear him talk about this and it does appear, at least short term, that a 2-1 is best suited to us right now.

But is playing Gerrard there making the most of what is available to him in the squad. I'm not sure it is.

I agree with mick above that Gerrard can easily play this role and played well there especially second half but I feel we have other players who can do that job but can't offer us the threat that Gerrard does further forward.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #6: Sep 17, 2012 01:57:14 pm
      It was interesting to hear him talk about this and it does appear, at least short term, that a 2-1 is best suited to us right now.

But is playing Gerrard there making the most of what is available to him in the squad. I'm not sure it is.

I agree with mick above that Gerrard can easily play this role and played well there especially second half but I feel we have other players who can do that job but can't offer us the threat that Gerrard does further forward.

That would be the only reason I'd play Gerrard anywhere else mate. He wins it in the air, he wins it on the deck, he's a top passer, has pace and power and is capable of running the game from the base of midfield. Players such as Lucas are (for me anyway) far more one dimensional in the way they play the game. Lucas will sit and do a good defensive job, won't give the ball away etc etc but is nowhere near Gerrard in terms of what he brings to the role (IMHO as I say). That much was demonstrated on Saturday when Gerrard burst forward and hit the post from the base of midfield, and also when he bust a gut to get back and cover and made last ditch tackles. Lucas doesn't get forward, and doesn't have the pace to get into the defensive areas Gerrard did on Saturday. I say that last comment 100% safe in the knowledge that someone will say "that's because Lucas reads the game better etc etc". Suffice to say I 100% disagree.

Increasingly though the option of playing Gerrard further up is diminishing. He can't seemingly get up and down like he used to, and I think given his injuries it's time we protected him a bit. I remain convinced however that in most positions on the pitch he would be our best player in that role if he played there, and defensive midfielder is an absolute no brainer in that regard. My own preference would be for him to play on the right in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 kind of formation, but we have no worries if he plays as a holder.

Benitez once or twice alluded to his belief that Gerrard lacked some sort of "discipline" when asked to defend, and I think one or two posters mistakenly think this means that he has to be played as some sort of striker. It doesn't, and just because he was brilliant at it when he played off Torres doesn't mean he is a striker.  Just like it doesn't mean he is a right back despite the fact he is f*cking brilliant when he plays there.

Anyway for now his role is as a holder. As usual, the position that Gerrard plays in is the least of our worries while he's playing there, despite the fact that the supporters of the team he plays for are seemingly incapable of realising just what an unbelieveable player he is.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #7: Sep 17, 2012 02:07:25 pm
      I have to totally disagree Brian with where you have him.

Gerrard isn't disciplined on the ball enough to play that role , he doesn't keep possesion well enough and he just can't sit. He needs to be higher up the pitch. Lucas should be that role with Allen/Gerrard/ Sahin the two roles ahead.

I agree with this.
      Too often when Gerrard is played deep we see him constantly out of position as he drifts towards where the ball is rather than sitting where he should be.
      I think he got in Allens way on Saturday, and there was confusion between the two of them which in turn lead to Allen being less effective.
      A sitting midfielder shouldn't be chasing the ball on the wings, but should be covering the fullbacks as they overlap.

He had a dreafull first half on Saturday, but picked it up a bit 2nd half when he tried to pick his passes instead of attempting to force them.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #8: Sep 17, 2012 02:12:53 pm

This all day.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,524 posts | 224 
      Reply #9: Sep 17, 2012 05:16:03 pm
      Next to Allen in a cm role, 6 months and he will be top draw in that role, his performance vs sunderland was 4 out of 5. He is learning to play that role again remember, under large periods he was playing a free role under rafa, that made him lethal but also careless when needing to change roles

the myth that gerrard needs to be in the final third as an am is surprising. Gerrard is past his prime, he is no longer a devastating goal scorer from midfield for us, that is one of the big reasons for our lack of goals at the moment, we have not replaced the 6-8 winning game goals he used to score

Shevley is improving which I am happy but Sahin badly needs to come into his position when he is up and ready to go

next season we need a new am who is a good finisher
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #10: Sep 17, 2012 05:21:43 pm
      Next to Allen in a cm role, 6 months and he will be top draw in that role, his performance vs sunderland was 4 out of 5. He is learning to play that role again remember, under large periods he was playing a free role under rafa, that made him lethal but also careless when needing to change roles

the myth that gerrard needs to be in the final third as an am is surprising. Gerrard is past his prime, he is no longer a devastating goal scorer from midfield for us, that is one of the big reasons for our lack of goals at the moment, we have not replaced the 6-8 winning game goals he used to score

Shevley is improving which I am happy but Sahin badly needs to come into his position when he is up and ready to go

next season we need a new am who is a good finisher
      The problem here is Sahin is not an attacking midfielder and Gerrard is the best one we've got at the moment in this position.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,471 posts | 4592 
      Reply #11: Sep 17, 2012 05:29:50 pm
      I would like to see him revert back to a second striker role and start putting his foot through the ball again,not scored many screamers of late.

The skipper can lead the line along with Suarez were both would nightmares for defences as they would pose huge problems.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #12: Sep 17, 2012 05:34:04 pm
      It's still AM for me, but he needs to learn to keep the ball better. It would be interesting to see him play one of the WF positions on a one-time basis to see how he does, but I don't he has the legs and the ability (winger ability, to clarify) to play wide at his age.
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 309 posts | 43 
      Reply #13: Sep 17, 2012 06:53:53 pm
      To me Gerrard looks like he needs to be let free, lately he's been playing like he doesn't really know where to play.

Like many other LFC fans, I believe, and know, he is most effective behind the strikers

I don't think Lucas' injury has helped, but when he is back, I think we will see this kind of midfield:

Lucas    Allen

Gerrard

This allows Gerrard, like he did when Mascherano and Alonso were behind him, to have a free role and support the front three.

I think Sahin can fill Lucas' boots why he's out, I'd pair him up with Allen, and like above, play Gerrard ahead of them.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 995 posts | 69 
      Reply #14: Sep 17, 2012 07:07:46 pm
      I honestly don't think he is fully fit thats why he looks subdued and maybe BR has told him to let the younger ones do all the running around.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,614 posts | 1109 
      Reply #15: Sep 17, 2012 07:24:53 pm
      Yawn.......another daft thread. Brendan has much bigger worries than where Stevie Gerrard plays  :mad:

Its obvious as a day is long that Stevie's best position in a 4-3-3 is in the 3 up top probably with Sterling and Suarez.

That leaves Lucas Allen Shelvey Sahin and Henderson competing for 3 midfield slots. Lucas and Allen are shoe-ins so that leaves the other 3 fighting for one slot and Henderson is going to find it tough.

Lucas

Allen               Sahin

Sterling                                        Gerrard
                                          Suarez

BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #16: Sep 17, 2012 07:51:05 pm
      Midfield of Lucas, Allen, Sahin and front 3 of Gerrard, Suarez, Borini.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #17: Sep 17, 2012 07:56:23 pm
      Yawn.......another daft thread. Brendan has much bigger worries than where Stevie Gerrard plays  :mad:

Its obvious as a day is long that Stevie's best position in a 4-3-3 is in the 3 up top probably with Sterling and Suarez.

1) Would he be willing to play in the front 3 on a regular basis, or would there be too much of an adjustment for him?

2) Does he even have the legs and technical ability for it? (In the winger sense - he's obviously a superb, world class player)

I don't think it'd hurt to try it out once - Europa League or League Cup wouldn't be a bad place to try it off the bench.
      Don77

• 6,614 posts | 1109 
      Reply #18: Sep 17, 2012 07:56:26 pm
      Midfield of Lucas, Allen, Sahin and front 3 of Gerrard, Suarez, Borini.

You would leave Sterling out???

I would have Sterling sit out the league cup games and some of the europa but he is in the starting 11 for the league imo !!

Borini would miss out for me at the moment and be backup to suarez!!
      Don77

• 6,614 posts | 1109 
      Reply #19: Sep 17, 2012 07:58:45 pm
      1) Would he be willing to play in the front 3 on a regular basis, or would there be too much of an adjustment for him?

2) Does he even have the legs and technical ability for it? (In the winger sense - he's obviously a superb, world class player)

I don't think it'd hurt to try it out once - Europa League or League Cup wouldn't be a bad place to try it off the bench.

I think so mate. He played off Torres. For me he does his best work in the final 3rd. Leave the midfield 3 to the lads who have more legs imo and Lucas, Shelvey, Allen and Sahin fit the bill here with Henderson also.

We are also struggling for goals and he is still a threat here...so best in that front 3 imo!!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #20: Sep 17, 2012 08:00:26 pm
      I think so mate. He played off Torres. For me he does his best work in the final 3rd. Leave the midfield 3 to the lads who have more legs imo and Lucas, Shelvey, Allen and Sahin fit the bill here with Henderson also.

We are also struggling for goals and he is still a threat here...so best in that front 3 imo!!

I'm all for trying it. I don't like it would be a disaster to try it once or twice. Especially against some of the so-called lower teams (who are currently above us ;D).
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #21: Sep 17, 2012 08:11:01 pm

That leaves Lucas Allen Shelvey Sahin and Henderson competing for 3 midfield slots. Lucas and Allen are shoe-ins so that leaves the other 3 fighting for one slot and Henderson is going to find it tough.

Lucas

Allen               Sahin

Sterling                                        Gerrard
                                          Suarez

A daft thread that you've felt the need contribute.

Also you've put Gerrard in a position that the manager hasn't yet so maybe it is worth a discussion.
      Don77

• 6,614 posts | 1109 
      Reply #22: Sep 17, 2012 08:31:17 pm
      A daft thread that you've felt the need contribute.

Also you've put Gerrard in a position that the manager hasn't yet so maybe it is worth a discussion.

Daft in that we have much bigger concerns than where Gerrard plays.

Also Gerrard, Sterling and Suarez can interchange there...its not a rigid 3 !

Too many people expect too much of him now. He carried us on his back for over a decade. Time for younger legs to start taking responsibility. The likes of Allen, Lucas and Shelvey are the engine room now, hence why I see Steve further up the pitch!

That said, after a tough 2 years I expect Stevie's influence to grow as he tots up the games. He seems to be over his injuries now and as the season progresses we will get the benefit!

Quick Reply