Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Predictions for the Merseyside Derby

Liverpool victory
      77 (73.3%)
      Draw
      21 (20%)
      Don't even think such thoughts
      7 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Voting closed: Oct 29, 2012 02:45:49 pm

Pre Match: The 219th Merseyside Derby

Read 15293 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8621 
      Re: Pre Match: The 219th Merseyside Derby
      Reply #115: Oct 27, 2012 11:45:44 pm
      When you're tired and you're weary, your heart it skips a beat,
      You'll get your F***ing head kicked in if you walk down Heyworth Street.
      If you come into the Albert, you'll hear our famous noise,
      'Get out you Everton bas**rds we're the Billy Shankly boys'

We're the boys from the kop. We're loyal and we're true.
      And when we play the Everton we're ready for a do.
      To the cry of no surrender, you'll hear our famous noise,
      'Get out you Everton bas**rds we're the Billy Shankly boys.'

COME ON REDS THESE ARE SHIIIITE!!!!!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #116: Oct 28, 2012 12:21:45 am
      Rodgers told to stop attacking referees: Liverpool boss warned to lay off men in black

PUBLISHED: 21:39, 27 October 2012 | UPDATED: 21:39, 27 October 2012

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has been warned ahead of the Merseyside derby against Everton that his continual berating of match officials will not help his team's cause.

Referees' chief Mike Riley and his members are angered by Rodgers continuing to claim his club are victimised by officials, regarding it as a tactic to seek an advantage.

Ahead of the crunch match at Goodison Park, the Liverpool boss has defiantly repeated his frustrations over the way his club's games are officiated, sarcastically remarking he would have to take a holiday when his striker Luis Suarez got a decision in his favour.

'Brendan Rodgers isn't the first manager to try it on,' said a referees' source.

'He has been reminded that Kenny Dalglish did the same thing as Liverpool manager last season and it didn't work for him.

'It won't work for Brendan, either. There have been phone calls which have relayed that message. It is pretty clear.'

Premier League referees, who are looked after by Professional Game Match Officials Limited, are becoming increasingly resentful at the way they believe they are being used as scapegoats by managers for poor results.

Rodgers has been strident in his defence of controversial Uruguay striker Suarez, who has been booked for diving three times since he joined Liverpool at the start of last year.

Rodgers blasted referee Mike Jones for not awarding Suarez a penalty against Norwich last month.

When the Uruguayan was clearly seen to have dived the following weekend against Stoke City, however, Rodgers claimed not to have seen it.

He continued his theme ahead of today's derby game when he said: 'One of these days, we will get a decision.'

Everton, though, clearly felt Suarez's over-reaction to a tackle in a derby match last season cost Jack Rodwell a red card and Goodison boss "The Chosen One" has hit back at the striker's antics, saying: 'He has history. It will turn the supporters away.'

Rodgers was appointed after Kenny Dalglish created a PR disaster by supporting Suarez in his racial abuse case with Manchester United's Patrice Evra.

But the Ulsterman, who has been mocked as football's answer to fictitious television windbag David Brent from The Office for his appearances in a fly-on-the- wall documentary Being: Liverpool, has also been strident in sticking up for his club's interests.

And he again appeared to try to put pressure on a referee, Andre Marriner, who takes charge of the derby.

'It is so important for the referees to stay calm and not get excited,' said Rodgers.

'I've seen it over the years, some of the tackles in these games is incredible. My last memory was a tackle of [Everton's] Steven Pienaar that was up around the top of the guy's thigh. I don't believe he even got booked for it, which was absolutely incredible.

'So there's a responsibility there for the refs to make sure it's a football game and not a rugby game.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2224132/Rodgers-told-stop-attacking-referees-Liverpool-boss-warned-lay-men-black.html

If that is true that BR has been warned about his comments, then it's hypocrisy pure and simple because the likes of Moyes and Pulis haven't been warned for their witch hunt on Luis, not to mention Ferguson and his countless mind games comments.

Edit: This post would have normally gone in the BR thread, but seeing as the subject has been discussed in this thread I thought it would be better to post here instead.

Good balances article there. A rare treat. :lmao:
      MsGerrard
      Reply #117: Oct 28, 2012 12:32:54 am
      So nervous about this game, my heart tells me were gonna spank them, my head says we're gonna do well to get a draw, I know form goes out the window on 'Derby Day' so i just hope we raise our game and batter them  :kop5cf8koxp6:

Be interesting to see if Brendan goes with Jones in goal after his last two performances or brings Pepe back  :-\ Will Suarez be able to keep his cool in the heat of the game? I sincerely hope so, cos the bitters will do everything they can to rile him, I hope he gets the support up front as well cos he can't do it by himself, and I hope he manages to stay upright as much as possible !!

Andre Marriner is the Ref, cool head and hope he keeps the game flowing as much as you possibly can in the heat of a Goodison derby. I'm predicting a draw but really hope we get the win and a much needed 3 points.

Come on you REDMEN - Pride of Merseyside at stake here lads !!!!!
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #118: Oct 28, 2012 12:52:18 am
      I like brendan he has balls and all managers are doing this ahead of games in some fashion or other. Ferguson he plays head games as well. Just read the telegraph brendan is dropping Reina for the derby. It comes no shock to me as reina has been playing poorly. A player who is playing on his past form of 12 months ago should be dropped if he is having howlers. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8621 
      Reply #119: Oct 28, 2012 12:56:28 am
      I like brendan he has balls and all managers are doing this ahead of games in some fashion or other. Ferguson he plays head games as well. Just read the telegraph brendan is dropping Reina for the derby. It comes no shock to me as reina has been playing poorly. A player who is playing on his past form of 12 months ago should be dropped if he is having howlers. 

Not quite true that is it? He got injured, Jones has played well and taken his chance, so Reina has hardly been dropped, I've heard the team is that that George put up but a decision will be made in the morning on who starts in goal.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #120: Oct 28, 2012 12:58:27 am
      Let's give these another hammering, about time they got a reminding of how they are the little team on Merseyside!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #121: Oct 28, 2012 01:54:10 am
      Sterling and Suso might sh*te themselves tomorrow if they're in the starting lineup.   ;D

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8621 
      Reply #122: Oct 28, 2012 02:53:18 am
      Top Ten Derby Memories (Courtesy of LFCTV)

No.10: Liverpool 1-0 Everton (Anfield, 03.04.1976)

On Grand National Day 1976, super-sub David Fairclough took to the field in the 64th minute and struck a superb 88th minute winner after racing through the heart of the Everton defence.

David Fairclough v Everton

No.9: Liverpool 3-0 Everton (Maine Road, 27.4.1977)

After a controversial 2-2 draw in the first FA Cup semi-final, during which Terry McDermott scored a superb lob, the Reds ran-out 3-0 winners to secure a place in the final against Manchester United.

Goal of the season - 1976/77 Terry McDermott Liverpool v Everton

No.8: Liverpool 2-1 Everton (Wembley, 14.04.2012)

Luis Suarez pulled Liverpool level in the 2012 FA Cup semi-final after Nikica Jelavic had given Everton the lead. With minutes remaining, Andy Carroll towered over the Blues' defence to send the Reds to the final.

Liverpool vs Everton FA CUP Semi final 2:1 (Andy Carroll)

No.7: Liverpool 3-2 Everton (Anfield, 21.11.1970)

Bill Shankly's men were 2-0 down with half an hour remaining but goals from Steve Heighway, John Toshack and Chris Lawler helped the Reds fight back to a memorable 3-2 win.

Liverpool 3 - 2 Everton Merseyside Derby 21st November 1970

No.6: Liverpool 3-0 Everton (Anfield, 13.03.2012)

Steven Gerrard marked his 400th league appearance for Liverpool by becoming the first Red since Fred Howe in 1935 to fire three past the Blues at Anfield.

Steven Gerrard scored hattrick against Everton

No.5: Liverpool 0-0 Everton (Wembley, 25.03.1984)

The first all-Merseyside final will always evoke special memories for both Reds and Blues. The 1984 League Cup final was tied 0-0 but in the replay at Maine Road, Graeme Souness struck as Liverpool clinched the cup with a 1-0 win.

"Souness for liverpool"

No.4: Everton 2-3 Liverpool (Goodison Park, 16.04.2001)

Everton clawed themselves back from a goal behind twice and looked to have secured a vital point in their fight against relegation until Gary McAllister stepped up to smash a wonder free-kick home from 40-yards in the 94th minute.

Everton 2-3 Liverpool 16 April 2001

No.3: Everton 0-5 Liverpool (Goodison Park, 06.11.1982)

Ian Rush destroyed his boyhood heroes with a scintillating display of clinical finishing as he fired four goals past Neville Southall in front of a packed Goodison Park.

Liverpool Demolishing Everton 5 - 0 ( Merseyside Derby With Brittish Commentary ) 6 November 1982

No.2: Liverpool 3-1 Everton (Wembley, 10.05.1986)

Gary Lineker gave the Blues the lead in the 1986 FA Cup final but Ian Rush struck twice either side of a Craig Johnston effort to make sure captain Alan Hansen went up the Wembley steps to collected the trophy.

FA Cup : Finale 1986 : Liverpool - Everton : 3-1

1. Liverpool 3-2 Everton (Wembley, 20.05.89)

A poignant FA Cup final which came just over a month after the Hillsborough disaster saw Reds and Blues unite in solidarity along Wembley Way. Ian Rush clinched Liverpool's winner in the 104th minute.

FA Cup 1989
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #123: Oct 28, 2012 03:32:15 am
      Bring it on won a ton today on a mad bet banged it on 19/10 come on Liverpool first blood to Rodgers! :)
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #124: Oct 28, 2012 04:55:52 am
      I think Everton will win, they are playing some great football at this moment and they have several players who can score, hate to say it but my money is going on Everton
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #125: Oct 28, 2012 07:31:50 am
      Looks like Brad Jones is set to retain his spot... here's to another win against the sh*te with the Aussie between the sticks!!!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #126: Oct 28, 2012 07:41:12 am
      Looks like Brad Jones is set to retain his spot... here's to another win against the sh*te with the Aussie between the sticks!!!

Great news.  Pepe's been awful this season, and off form for more than a year now.  Jones has been reliable when he's been called on.

And don't come with that "but Pepe steps up in the big games" bollocks.  He was awful in the FA Cup final last season, didn't even make a full effort on the goals.

Hope Jones pulls through. 
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #127: Oct 28, 2012 08:25:18 am
       Following on with Huyton Reds post one of our greatest victories has to be in the 1950s when we beat Everton 4=0 in the 4th round of the F.A.Cup at Goodison.Billy Liddell and Alan A'Court tore Everton to pieces that day.At the time Everton were in the old 1st division and we were in the old 2nd division so believe me we walked around Liverpool very proud of our REDS for many days and as usual we never heard from the Evertonians.The lesson to be learned is never write the MIGHTY REDS off.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #128: Oct 28, 2012 08:40:49 am

I think that is a good shout myself. Jonrs has looked confident and competent the last few games and it;'s about time Pepe had a bit of competition for his place. It's still Pepe long term for me though.

Am off to Wembley for the NFL today so will have to endure listening to this one in the car on the way up today. I hope the lads are all 100% after a tought game on Thursday night.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #129: Oct 28, 2012 08:58:55 am
      It's going to be a close game, voted for us to win by 2-1. We must dominated the midfield and clip their wingers and we should be ok. Jonjo must keep his cool if he's on the pitch, it's this type of game that players got sent off for a rash or clumsy but not dirty challenge. 
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #130: Oct 28, 2012 09:03:37 am
      We have really nothing to fear from this sh*te in a football sense; shitty refereeing, maybe, (as I feel they'll try to kick lumps out of us); set pieces, possibly but not football.

Our midfield is way stronger and we should easily dictate the pace. Our defence should cope with Jelavic comfortably and nullify any effect Mirallas will have in open play. If Luis and the lads can find the onion bag, more readily than of late, this will be easy... poor refereeing decisions and set pieces notwithstanding.

Nerves a jingling - let's get tore in. 
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #131: Oct 28, 2012 09:36:39 am
      Pleased Brad is playing myself, but if he makes a mistake no doubt everyone will jump on him and Bren.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #132: Oct 28, 2012 09:47:21 am
      I must be the only person not happy that Pepe isn't playing( if its true )

Jones is a massively inferior keeper - Pepe on a bad day is better . Lets hope the four guys in front of him are strong today.
      Crazy horses
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #133: Oct 28, 2012 09:52:43 am
      I must be the only person not happy that Pepe isn't playing( if its true )

Jones is a massively inferior keeper - Pepe on a bad day is better . Lets hope the four guys in front of him are strong today.

How do you work out " massively" would be interested to know as what I have seen is that Brad commands better on crosses, but Pepe has better distribution. Both have good and bad points not to mention Pepes howlers this season. Me thinks you just after a shock value with the massively statement.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #134: Oct 28, 2012 10:06:38 am
      Was there in the Kop for No 7 Huyton.
      Amazing match.

Should have seen the Toffees faces.
      zxZXzx
      • Forum John Toshack

• 254 posts |
      Reply #135: Oct 28, 2012 10:07:17 am
      Hope they roll over for us,like they always do.So only win works for me!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #136: Oct 28, 2012 10:11:05 am
      Derby day is when the form book goes out of the window and the team that wants it more will win its really as simple as that, so hopefully Rodgers will have the lads fired up to take 3 points from this shower of sh*te as if we do, come the end of the match we could be 3 points off 4th.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #137: Oct 28, 2012 10:30:27 am
      It's good that the bluesh**e are confident, makes it all the sweeter when we beat them.

Hopefully we won't be too uptight on the attacking front and a cheeky goal from Suso will win the game for us.

COYR  :kop5cf8koxp6:

Quick Reply