Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Liverpool 1-1 Newcastle: In-game & post-match collective sigh

Read 24423 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool v Newcastle
      Reply #368: Nov 04, 2012 06:16:15 pm
      I'm starting to think our problem is not so much scoring goals, but our defending and keeping goals out.

If we'd had a few more clean sheets, or even conceded one or three goals less, we'd be laughing by now.

Sort the defence out
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #369: Nov 04, 2012 06:17:13 pm
      Read that again! We did buy a striker just a shame he's injured for months.

What I meant was a back up striker. And, the striker you are referring to does not look like a 10 goal man, leave alone a 20 goal man.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #370: Nov 04, 2012 06:17:34 pm
      strange our only goal came from a long ball.
      ~Its only the final third were possesion counts and how many of our passes are sideways or backwards.
      I think Brendan could easily takeover at Barcelona tomorrow and carry on their success but we are not Barca and it simply doesnt work with these players.

Last I checked we have been wasteful in front of the net for the previous 2 seasons also. Creating chances, dominating possession and making the toons sh*te themselves every 2 minutes or so tells me that the tactics are right and the players worked well within it, taking 15-20 shots a game and netting 1 is not tactics it is wastefulness on the part of the players.

Should have been 3-1 today if not for missing chip shots Sahin,Shelvey and Sterling.
      ozziboi7
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #371: Nov 04, 2012 06:19:32 pm
      I'm starting to think our problem is not so much scoring goals, but our defending and keeping goals out.

If we'd had a few more clean sheets, or even conceded one or three goals less, we'd be laughing by now.

Sort the defence out

Completely agreed! Still need to seriously address the scoring issue!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #372: Nov 04, 2012 06:20:51 pm
      Last I checked we have been wasteful in front of the net for the previous 2 seasons also. Creating chances, dominating possession and making the toons sh*te themselves every 2 minutes or so tells me that the tactics are right and the players worked well within it, taking 15-20 shots a game and netting 1 is not tactics it is wastefulness on the part of the players.

Should have been 3-1 today if not for missing chip shots Sahin,Shelvey and Sterling.
      Shoulda woulda coulda didnt.
      We sacked a manager last season for doing exactly the same job loads of possesion lots of shots not many results.
      Tactics of dominating possesion mean NOTHING unless you score goals
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #373: Nov 04, 2012 06:22:04 pm

Sort the defence out

Bit of both I'd say mate.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #374: Nov 04, 2012 06:22:14 pm
      We sacked a manager last season for doing exactly the same job loads of possesion lots of shots not many results.

A few more reasons than that Walton.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #375: Nov 04, 2012 06:22:15 pm
      Played well. Deserved the 3 points.

Unbeaten in five, need to turn the draws in to wins though.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #376: Nov 04, 2012 06:22:54 pm
      BBC:
      Striker Luis Suarez earned a point for a dominant Liverpool against 10-man Newcastle at Anfield.

...dominant.

How many points would we really be on without Suarez's goals ?
      Scary.
      probably 3 or 4 god knows what we will do if he misses some games between now and Jan
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #377: Nov 04, 2012 06:24:11 pm
      A few more reasons than that Walton.
      [/quote
      nope it was his league season that did for him according to the owners and we are so far a carbon copy of last season great football dominate games get beat or draw/
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #378: Nov 04, 2012 06:27:28 pm
      Played well in patches. Finishing let us down. The optimist in me says at least we are creating chances, the pessimist says that our our front 5 are not finishing well enough.

Such a goal from Suarez.

I thought maybe after the red card that Rodgers could have brought on Assaidi for Enrique, pushed Downing LB for the overlap and still ahd pace  and directness up front in Assaidi.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #379: Nov 04, 2012 06:28:10 pm
      Shoulda woulda coulda didnt.
      Tactics of dominating possesion mean NOTHING unless you score goals

And what is BR supposed to do about that Walton, tell me exactly how his tactics and personal were going to allow him to add goals today?

He has one stiker along with 2 kids (Morgan/Yesil) to score goals for him.

What exactly is he supposed to do tactically to make Jonjo net the 2 easy ones he had handed to him or to have Sterling shoot 2 seconds earlier on the break out before the toon defender intercepts him.

Kenny got let down by owners and players, BR has gotten let down by the owners and has almost no options from the bench and yet you can see how his tactics are correct.

We are in desperate need of that guy who just puts it in the back of the net, if we had that "guy" we would be in the top 4 right now from the way we have played.

The tactics are right, not his fault he is managing with one hand tied behind his back and gag in his mouth.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #380: Nov 04, 2012 06:31:02 pm
      Deja F***ing vu where the F**k would be with Suarez in the relegation zone possibly. January can't come soon enough.

And then we will see if the owners are as good as some seem to they are.

Criminal we went into season without getting another striker.

Suso starting to struggle a bit doesn't look as ready as sterling.

F***ing hell how can pardew defend that tackle or attempted assault as I see it
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #381: Nov 04, 2012 06:31:04 pm
      Well played today boys. We perform like we did in that 2nd half on a more regular basis and we'll be fine.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #382: Nov 04, 2012 06:32:49 pm
      Deja f**king vu where the f**k would be with Suarez in the relegation zone possibly. January can't come soon enough.

Your comments on the tactics?

I see some on here noting that the tactics are sh*te.

I see 67% possession and 1 goal out of 23 attempts as not being a tactical problem but personnel issues myself.

Your thoughts?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #383: Nov 04, 2012 06:33:24 pm
      Much better second half from us and apart from a spell first half they didn't create much.

But that is our problem at the minute. We usually don't look like getting beat but don't do enough, at least early on, to win games.

Skrtel and Agger very solid at the back. Enrique is not the guy for Brendan's style as he is too direct and doesn't appear to be comfortable in possession.

For me midfield was out of balance again and Sahin was pretty anonymous but I agree with those who think he is playing slightly out of position. Shelvey at least got onto positions when he came on but has to start finishing easy chances.

Sterling and Suarez were excellent with Suso a little quiet. We lose Luis and we will struggle badly.

One thing is obvious to me now is that Gerrard will not play in the front three anytime soon as it was Sahin who moved furthest forward when Suso went of which is strange.
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #384: Nov 04, 2012 06:33:42 pm
      Think the difference between our Liverpool way and Barcas tika tala is Messi. Where would they be without him and where would we be with him. Thought we played really well today, best game for Suarez this season in my opinion ,I know he got 3 at Norwich but everything he did today was fantastic and the determination he had for the win would be good to be copied by a few others.
      We are still a new team jelling together with a lot of young lads just coming through to play football at this level and yes they sometimes pick the wrong option of when to or not to pass but the future looks bright. All we are missing is a big enough points tally which our play deserves.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #385: Nov 04, 2012 06:34:04 pm
      Lads lets take some positives here... 3rd choice keeper, 2nd choice full backs, missing possibly the best dcm in the prem, 2nd striker injured, debut prem seasons for 3 of our starting 11, aint got the rub of the green since god knows when! All that and we still SHOULD have a won and well outplayed two "top 6" teams!
      Progression is there!
      Crazy horses
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #386: Nov 04, 2012 06:37:12 pm
      BBC:
      Striker Luis Suarez earned a point for a dominant Liverpool against 10-man Newcastle at Anfield.

...dominant.

How many points would we really be on without Suarez's goals ?
      Scary.

Think over 60% of the play is dominant in anyone's book apart from finishing the chances we played very well.
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #387: Nov 04, 2012 06:38:25 pm
      I would love to take 3 points now and again rather than all these positives. 2 wins out of 10 games.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #388: Nov 04, 2012 06:38:26 pm
      And what is BR supposed to do about that Walton, tell me exactly how his tactics and personal were going to allow him to add goals today?

He has one stiker along with 2 kids (Morgan/Yesil) to score goals for him.

What exactly is he supposed to do tactically to make Jonjo net the 2 easy ones he had handed to him or to have Sterling shoot 2 seconds earlier on the break out before the toon defender intercepts him.

Kenny got let down by owners and players, BR has gotten let down by the owners and has almost no options from the bench and yet you can see how his tactics are correct.

We are in desperate need of that guy who just puts it in the back of the net, if we had that "guy" we would be in the top 4 right now from the way we have played.

The tactics are right, not his fault he is managing with one hand tied behind his back and gag in his mouth.

This is his squad if the squad isnt upto playing his tactics he needs to think again because we are dominating possesion but on the first 10 games by the end of this season we will end up with 42 points.The owners are not going to invest in players of Barca  calibre so we can't really carry on with theirr tactics.
      Agger,Skyrtl,Gerrard,Sterling,Suarez how many others are good enough from todays team.Allen good suare ball passer and links well with Agger ans Skrytl but our problem is in the final third where we have ONE striker.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #389: Nov 04, 2012 06:39:26 pm
      Crazy horses
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #390: Nov 04, 2012 06:40:03 pm
      Deja f**king vu where the f**k would be with Suarez in the relegation zone possibly. January can't come soon enough.

You could argue that if we had RVP in the side we would be very near if not top now, don't think we are far off just need a better window in January and we will be ok. One things for sure we need signings to be completed by the 1st, I will be fuming if those tht do leave it Until the last day. 

Quick Reply