Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Liverpool 1-1 Newcastle: In-game & post-match collective sigh

Read 24207 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool v Newcastle
      Reply #391: Nov 04, 2012 06:40:42 pm
      64% possession.

36 attempted crosses, 2.8% of which were successful. What does that tell you?

We should not be crossing - at all. That is how our attacks are breaking down, that is how we're losing possession and that is how we're conceding.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #392: Nov 04, 2012 06:42:23 pm
      Your comments on the tactics?

I see some on here noting that the tactics are sh*te.

I see 67% possession and 1 goal out of 23 attempts as not being a tactical problem but personnel issues myself.

Your thoughts?

I like the tactics but somebody said that we made 600 odd passes with something like 8% of them being long today. Where did the goal come from?

Like the way we are mixing it up a little with that now.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #393: Nov 04, 2012 06:44:01 pm
      This is his squad if the squad isnt upto playing his tactics he needs to think again because we are dominating possesion but on the first 10 games by the end of this season we will end up with 42 points.The owners are not going to invest in players of Barca  calibre so we can't really carry on with theirr tactics.
      Agger,Skyrtl,Gerrard,Sterling,Suarez how many others are good enough from todays team.Allen good suare ball passer and links well with Agger ans Skrytl but our problem is in the final third where we have ONE striker.

And once again would love to hear your tactical  changes?  Morgan/Yesil?

In my mind its a good thing we play possession the way we are now because with having 0 option up front (thanks to the owners) if we did not have as much possession as we do we would be losing games like this 2-1 versus the tie.

Now if we had a load of attacking options on the bench ala Kenny last year (where most times Maxi/Kuyt/Carroll) were available and we were not using them then I can see what you are saying but with the exception subbing Assadi over Downing I don't know exacty where BR is supposed to find the people that will take those 23 chances and convert them into more than the 1 goal we got.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #394: Nov 04, 2012 06:45:01 pm
      64% possession.

36 attempted crosses, 2.8% of which were successful. What does that tell you?

We should not be crossing - at all. That is how our attacks are breaking down, that is how we're losing possession and that is how we're conceding.
      We're putting crosses into the box when there's only Luis Suarez trying to get on the end of it.

And Jose Enrique doesn't understand that you have to beat the first man in order to get the ball in the box he was abysmal.
      Crazy horses
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #395: Nov 04, 2012 06:48:42 pm
      We're putting crosses into the box when there's only Luis Suarez trying to get on the end of it.

And Jose Enrique doesn't understand that you have to beat the first man in order to get the ball in the box he was abysmal.

Was so frustrated ith Jose, he would beat the man then take an age before letting his cross go enabling the defender to block so annoying.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #396: Nov 04, 2012 06:49:27 pm
      Shelvey did his best to get on the end of said crosses, just unfortunately his finishing was the best.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #397: Nov 04, 2012 06:52:44 pm
      Tactics decent az. We are struggling without that goalscorer. Saw Suarez picking the ball up in the centre circle today and have no one ahead of him

The lad is world class if we had someone to free up the burden on him and free up space think the lad would be unstoppable.

The next transfer window is the most important for the club for a long long time
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,296 posts | 4942 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Newcastle: In-game & post-match collective sigh
      Reply #398: Nov 04, 2012 06:54:27 pm
      Your comments on the tactics?

I see some on here noting that the tactics are sh*te.

Some might think they are sh*t AZ.

I don't but still think Brendan got the balance in midfield wrong again and I understand why he does it as Gerrard gives him that bit of experience in there but I really do feel an Allen, Sahin, Shelvey three with Gerrard, Suarez and Sterling forward line would make much better use of the players available.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #399: Nov 04, 2012 06:54:53 pm
      Tactics decent az. We are struggling without that goalscorer. Saw Suarez picking the ball up in the centre circle today and have no one ahead of him

The lad is world class if we had someone to free up the burden on him and free up space think the lad would be unstoppable.

The next transfer window is the most important for the club for a long long time

Thanks Cor that's pretty much how this novice saw it also.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #400: Nov 04, 2012 06:54:58 pm
      Agree as well barring the pass for the goal thought Enrique was shocking. Why did he turn his back on Ben arfa for the first goal.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #401: Nov 04, 2012 06:55:35 pm
      Rodgers said that in his post match interview Corbally. How Suarez plays in the false 9 role, and that it's up to Sterling & Suso to be the attacking threat ahead of him. Sterling especially needs to learn when to get up farther than him as he is playing in his natural position, whereas Suso is not.
      Crazy horses
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #402: Nov 04, 2012 06:56:26 pm
      Agree as well barring the pass for the goal thought Enrique was shocking. Why did he turn his back on Ben arfa for the first goal.

Agree looks like he's carrying a bit of timber to me also.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #403: Nov 04, 2012 06:56:28 pm
      Some people being far too negative, if you struggle to see the positives in the way we played today then you're looking at things with a very negative viewpoint.

In many areas we were excellent and honestly outplayed Newcastle throughout the entire match, they came only to play on the break and fair play to them got a goal from one of their only threatening moments. We scored 1 and had at least 4 more clear cut opportunities and other half chances. We're not scoring enough from set plays as we had plenty of those too but to be overly critical after that display is simply being too harsh in my book.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #404: Nov 04, 2012 06:59:35 pm
      Deja vu you could have posted that post at any stage in last 12 months
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #405: Nov 04, 2012 07:00:03 pm
      Rodgers said that in his post match interview Corbally. How Suarez plays in the false 9 role, and that it's up to Sterling & Suso to be the attacking threat ahead of him. Sterling especially needs to learn when to get up farther than him as he is playing in his natural position, whereas Suso is not.

That's where we are suffering, its not that Sterling/Suso are not good players, quite the opposite they will top class players. The issue is that they have not developed the situation understanding needed at times in working with Suarez. That awareness is something learned over time and both of them are still just kids.

Part of me just wonders if Assadi is knicked a bit or what is going on because awareness wise he is superior to both Sterling/Suso yet we are not playing him. That would be my only question to the Gaffer.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #406: Nov 04, 2012 07:01:27 pm
      Ya Luis Rodgers is on his knees begging the owners for a striker at this stage.

You don't need a degree in media relations to see Rodgers is publicly putting it up to the owners for January.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,296 posts | 4942 
      Reply #407: Nov 04, 2012 07:03:09 pm
      Part of me just wonders if Assadi is knicked a bit or what is going on because awareness wise he is superior to both Sterling/Suso yet we are not playing him. That would be my only question to the Gaffer.

Suso may be but I don't see anything in Assaidi that would want him played ahead of Raheem.

Sterling is quicker and possesses a much greater goal threat although it is an area he also needs to improve in.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #408: Nov 04, 2012 07:05:12 pm
      Suso may be but I don't see anything in Assaidi that would want him played ahead of Raheem.

Sterling is quicker and possesses a much greater goal threat althoough it is an area he also needs to improve in.

Don't disagree

Assaidi    Suarez     Sterling   works better imo.
      insua22
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts |
      Reply #409: Nov 04, 2012 07:25:15 pm
      We need to get January right or we're in big trouble. If Suarez keeps going the way he is then Real will be sniffing around in the Summer.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #410: Nov 04, 2012 07:31:42 pm
      If we're going to play 4-3-3 we need three strikers up front, not one. Neither Sterling nor Suso show the predatory instincts needed because they're rarely ever in the box. Everything is Luis.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #411: Nov 04, 2012 07:52:49 pm
      We badly need pacy forwards.
      Sterling has become undroppable as a result. I think hes feeling it.
      We need forwards in January. It's painfully obvious.

Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #412: Nov 04, 2012 07:55:26 pm
      A frustrating result. From box to box our football was once again very good, the lads were utterly dominant in possession but it's clear we have some issues.

- First and foremost we don't commit enough players forward when we attack and especially when we get the ball wide. At times it feels as if all 3 midfieldes are sitting. Take the shackles off of Gerrard or get Shelvey in the side ahead of Sahin would be my solution.

- The burden to score on Luis is simply too great. He's been fantastic so far this season, arguably the best player in the league. Many posters claiming we need a goal scorer BUT he scores goals, we simply need other players chipping in. As well as young Sterling and Suso have done it's unreasonable to expect them to do it on a regular basis.

- With the way we play and the lack of penetration (for all the possession) we sorely miss Glen Johnson when he isn't in the team. That in itself is a bit of a worry.

Real shame not to get the 3 points today given that a win would have put us within 3-4 points of the top 4. Plus a tough game away at the bridge up next. Lose this one oand the media vultures will be circling in full force and it'll be "crisis at Anfied" again.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #413: Nov 04, 2012 08:03:07 pm
      People point to Rodgers' style as being Spanish influenced but I think the German team is a better model for the PL. They play with 3 strikers up front, the pass the ball quickly and attack in numbers and with pace. They get people in the box and they always have goal scoring options. As well as Sterling and Suso do up to the box, they're never in it when needed which is why Suarez ends up doing it all himself. He's been called greedy but it's more a case of having no one to pass to.

Quick Reply