Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 6th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W0 D1 L2

Liverpool v Young Boys, Thursday 22nd November, Europa League, KO: 20:05.

Read 12283 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,609 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Liverpool v Young Boys, Thursday 22nd November, Europa League, KO: 20:05.
      Reply #23: Nov 19, 2012 06:13:27 pm
      Yip I think we will play a strong team here, no travelling involved so plenty rest time b4 wknd match.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,513 posts | 2873 
      Reply #24: Nov 19, 2012 08:26:48 pm
      Reina; Johnson, Skrtel, Coates, Robinson; Henderson, Sahin, Gerrard; Downing, Suarez, Assaidi (Pacheco if he's not fit)

Take Suarez and Gerrard off if we are in control.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #25: Nov 19, 2012 11:18:42 pm
                                      Jones

Johnson   Skrtel   Coates   Robinson

Henderson Sahin

Assaidi        Gerrard       Downing

Suarez
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,330 posts | 774 
      Reply #26: Nov 20, 2012 10:48:14 am
      Should be quite an interesting game, as there were plenty of goals when we played them away. Depending on the result of this encounter and the other tie, should go a long way in deciding who goes through to the knock out stages of the competition. I feel a win is a must if we are to progress, so field a fairly strong side.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,349 posts | 4968 
      Reply #27: Nov 20, 2012 10:52:33 am
      I'd play Suarez is this one. Get the goals eraly on and take him off.

Jones

Wisdom  Carra  Coates  Robinson

Sahin  Henderson

Shelvey

Downing  Suarez  Assaidi
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #28: Nov 20, 2012 11:02:52 am
      The game is a must win and to be fair should win... So the team should reflect that with a mix of first team and second string.

Reina
      Wisdom Carra Coates Enrique

Henderson Sahin

Suso

Sterling    Suarez   Assaidi

Get the game won as early as possible then give Suarez,Sterling and Enrique a rest.

Win this takes us to 9 points... If Anzi win against Udinese then we are through no matter what happens in Italy ( i believe)so we can take a young side there..

Young boys looked quick and dangerous up top but with a soft defence... Just get at them early with the kop behind and win the game.
      ilikeliverpool
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Reply #29: Nov 20, 2012 12:49:43 pm
      Might be good to see Suarez play for a bit with the usual Europa/Cup group. But that group on their own should be good enough to get a result.

I don't think this will be the line-up, but could be an alternative.

Jones

Wisdom, Carragher, Coates

Flanagan, Henderson, Shelvey, Sahin, Downing

Suarez, Morgan
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #30: Nov 20, 2012 12:54:32 pm
      With the form he is in and the way he is playing, Luis could run riot against this lot.

But then again, he could do with a rest...
      demyaf92
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #31: Nov 20, 2012 12:56:41 pm
      would love to see if Downing still wants to prove if he is fit to play at liverpool
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #32: Nov 20, 2012 04:51:42 pm
      If we win this, and Udinese don't, we're as good as through aren't we? If that case, I would start a strong enough team (just start Suarez! ) and take him off at HT after he's got a few goals!!

Reina, Wisdom, Carra, Coates, Robinson, Sahin, Hendo, Shelvey, Downing, Suarez, Suso.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #33: Nov 20, 2012 05:03:55 pm
      If we win this, and Udinese don't, we're as good as through aren't we?
      Yes because even though Young Boys would be able to match our 9 points if they won there last game, we'd go through on our head to head with them. And Udinese would only be able to amass 7 (loss to Anzhi) or 8 (draw with Anzhi) points, be nice to be be able to send over depleted squad to Italy safe in the knowledge we're through.
      Strong starting 11 all the way for me Thursday.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #34: Nov 21, 2012 05:51:29 am
      I expect the likes of Henderson, Jonjo, Carra and Downing (shop window) to start. Would leave Stevie out but start with Luis and if things are going well bring him off early 2nd half.

alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,195 posts | 165 
      Reply #35: Nov 21, 2012 08:32:06 am
      I'd like to see:
                        Reina
      Wisdom    Coates      Carra        Enrique

Hendo       Shelvey
                              Sahin

Paceco                                       Assaidi
                    Morgan/Pacheco/Yesil
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #36: Nov 21, 2012 08:48:25 am
      Got a feeling this is going to be the decider on whether we go through or not.

We proved away from home we can score against them - we need to hugely improving our defending though from the first time around.  I'm expecting a weakened team - but it may be worth having some strength in defence.  If results go the right way then maybe we can buy ourselves some breathing room and really rest the squad in the final group game.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,531 posts | 3468 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #37: Nov 21, 2012 10:28:38 am
                  Reina
      Wisdom   Skrtel  Agger    Johnson
              Allen       Henderson
                       Gerrard
      Sterling                  Garrincha....  sorry Jose Enrique
                    Suarez
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #38: Nov 21, 2012 10:35:47 am
      Id like to see a strong team out for this one. We struggled to finish against Anxhi with the likes of Morgan up top.

Reina

Johnson Skrtel Coates Enrique

Hendo Sahin Shelvey

Downing.                   Assaidi
        Suarez
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #39: Nov 21, 2012 12:05:47 pm
      This may sound stupid, but the team that scores the most will win this.

We need a good strong 11 playing with no reservists.

They can and do score, we need to score more.

Strong team and scare the sh*t out of them, ATTACK ATTACK, ATTACK.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,330 posts | 774 
      Reply #40: Nov 21, 2012 12:13:15 pm
      I would love to be able to come over from North Wales tomorrow night, to see the game, but alas no transport etc. I will try and watch the match in the pub. Should be a few goals if the first game is anything to go by.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #41: Nov 21, 2012 12:27:36 pm
      I can see us scoring a few but don't think they'll pose any threat, Udinese game aside there away form in European competition is poor at best, and after playing nearly an hour with 10 men at the weekend I think we'll steamroller them.

Hoping so any way positive thinking and all that  ;D

I'll be there tomorrow cheering the boys on, COME ON YOU REDMEN.
      waz112003
      • Banned

• 70 posts |
      Reply #42: Nov 21, 2012 02:01:34 pm
      I wouldn't be surprise if Brendan Rodgers sticks with his big players against Young Boys because he said it time after time that they want to do well in UEFA Europa League. This competition & the FA Cup are only hope for us to win some silverware at the end of the season. If we win against Young Boys & Udinese lose against Anzhi we're through to Round 32 so it's going to be difficult game against Young boys cause they are good side who have beaten Udinese twice to have any hope of progress to next round so the group is very tight any four teams can qualify to next round... 
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #43: Nov 21, 2012 05:07:10 pm
      I think stick with the big guns and thrash them keep us on the high for sunday
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,887 posts | 704 
      Reply #44: Nov 21, 2012 05:35:10 pm
      Quote from JD
      Got a feeling this is going to be the decider on whether we go through or not.

We proved away from home we can score against them - we need to hugely improving our defending though from the first time around.  I'm expecting a weakened team - but it may be worth having some strength in defence.  If results go the right way then maybe we can buy ourselves some breathing room and really rest the squad in the final group game.

We've lost 2 group games, and tomorrow is no banker either. I think we'll need at least a point in the last game to qualify.

I want a full strength (whatever that is these days) side tomorrow. Winning the group means no CL rejects in the next round, and a home leg in the 2nd leg.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #45: Nov 21, 2012 05:39:52 pm
      This is a tricky one in regards picking a squad. We need to get the job done first and foremost, winning our next match is always our aim. But surely Suarez can't keep going the way he is (can he?). And Rodgers has already lost out to Swansea once this season, he won't want it happening again.

I think now that Reina is back this is a good chance to get some competition going, put Brad between the posts and let him stake his claim to be first choice.

This could be a great confidence boost for young Wisdom to get a solid game in infront of the home fans. He has been decent for us but it's a big jump to make to the first team and a solid game here could work wonders for the lad. Coates is another who could do with a game to help him along, and Carragher's brief cameo against Wigan suggests to me that he may be starting this one.I think Enrique should start this one at LB and introduce young Robinson early in the second half if we can control the game.

Gerrard isn't as young as he was, and he'll need more rests than he has in previous years. I don't think we'll need him for this one. Shelvey is his pretender to the throne and the last time against Anzhi he impressed me that he wanted to take control of the game and tried to create from midfield. It was a very mature performance from him in my opinion, so I would be willing to let him have his chance again here. Sahin just hasn't taken off the way I expected him to. He has drifted in and out of a lot of matches and I think he needs to step it up a gear. Much like Wisdom and Shelvey I think this match would be a great opportunity for him to kick on. I am far from Jordan Henderson's biggest fan but fair play to the lad, he got an opportunity against Wigan and he took it, he was very impressive. This is a chance to prove that wasn't a one off, step up again here and put your name in the hat for Sunday lad.

Up front is where the biggest problems lie. We can't keep relying on Suarez playing 90 mins every 4 days and expecting him to drag us over the line scoring wise. I taking a chance here and leaving him out. Our options are slim but hopefully the midfield can push on and help out in the final third more. Downing hasn't been as bad as he has been in the past when he has featured this season, still nowhere near where he needs to be but better. Pacheco is another who has yet to live up to expectations, not on the same level but the day has to come when he is no longer a player with potential and actually steps up. Give him his chance and see if he can take it. Another player coming with a lot of promise is Assaidi, reports say he failed a medical before Saturday, if fit I'd like to see him start this one. From the little bit I have seen of him he looks a decent little player.

So basically I'd go for a starting XI of;

Jones

Wisdom            Coates          Carragher       Enrique

Shelvey

Henderson         Sahin

Assaidi                     Pacheco                       Downing

Subs: Reina, Skrtel, Robinson, Allen, Cole, Suso, Morgan

I think that would be a good enough side to beat Young Boys, without risking the big boys. It gives a few of the fringe players a chance to stake their claim for a place for Sunday too.

I'll go for a 2-0 win, Sahin and Pacheco.

Quick Reply