Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 11th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Sacrifice Europe for the league?

Read 5999 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Sacrifice Europe for the league?
      Reply #23: Oct 13, 2007 01:18:30 pm
      I think he meant he doesnt have a worry about it but we need to make it for the money. Hopefully. Otherwise the fella has issues ;D.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #24: Oct 13, 2007 04:48:55 pm
      After last nights performance v Marsellie I was just wondering would we be happy to go out of Europe in the group stages if it was to our benefit in the league,and if we did go out would Rafa play a settled team in the league?

I feel although the cup runs are all well and good weve gone to long without the one we really want so id take going out of Europe early if it means winning the league.

Mate, there is nothing more exciting than a European night against one of the massive European teams like Barcelona, Milan or Juventus.

Obviously myself I want Liverpool to win the Premiership most but going out of the most exciting tournament in the world early on? No thanks! Also the money comes from the Champions League so if we do crap in it this year then Rafa won't have as much funds next summer.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #25: Oct 15, 2007 06:14:28 am
      hyperthetically speaking if we were to go out of the CL early, and keep in mind i do think the rotation policy can work. i think Rafa should stick to his best 11 if that was to happen because there is half the amount of work to be done and then the team would build momentum with each other and definitely win the league.

not sure if this belongs in the rotation thread or this one
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #26: Oct 15, 2007 10:32:20 pm
      hyperthetically speaking if we were to go out of the CL early, and keep in mind I do think the rotation policy can work. I think Rafa should stick to his best 11 if that was to happen because there is half the amount of work to be done and then the team would build momentum with each other and definitely win the league.

not sure if this belongs in the rotation thread or this one

Rotation thread! :-\

Why does everything end up being about rotation!? Feel like we're banging our head against a wall!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #27: Oct 15, 2007 11:26:02 pm
      Sacrifice europe for the league? No. You don't sacrifice anything. The league cup may been seen as a sacrifice when we put a few young guns out but the intention is still there to win any game we play in.

I wouldn't be happy at all if the notion was there to sacrifice being in europe. Which in fact, wouldn't happen anyway!! Personally, I just see this thread as another way of looking for reason of the poor form lately.

We have to be competing on all fronts. That's what we're all about. We're not some bit part mid table team....
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #28: Oct 16, 2007 03:10:34 pm
      just curious, how much do we get just for going through to the next stage in the CL?
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #29: Nov 08, 2007 10:25:04 pm
      NEVER!

We must progress further on!
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #30: Nov 08, 2007 10:45:06 pm
      YES! We have to compete on all fronts. Because who gives you insurance that we will be fine in the PL once we are eliminated from CL? Also don't underestimate the money and fame you receive from being a CL-contender. With that (money, fame) you can bring one or another player to Liverpool in the upcoming years.

Also Manure, Arseanal and Chelskibitchi handle all the competition and once I want to look in their fans eyes with a League title for the Reds that has no "ifs" (injuries of key players from competitors or the argument that we just won because we didn't have the full competition).

GO POOL GO !!!
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #31: Nov 08, 2007 10:48:34 pm
      A post with Poll has been made about this already  ;) :

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,2402.msg29106.html#msg29106
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #32: Nov 09, 2007 12:27:03 am
      just curious, how much do we get just for going through to the next stage in the CL?

If the reds do make it through to the first knockout round (then get knocked out) they will probably make something in the region of £9 million more than if we get knocked out.

This is combined from a) rewards for group performance b) two legged match fees from UEFA c) share of TV money and d) gate receipts etc

Obviously the impact on shirt sales merchandise etc also all adds up.

The reds won around £27 million when they won the Champions League - about £10 million of this was made just from being in the group stages.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #33: Nov 09, 2007 09:39:38 am
      At this stage, the financial implications of a group stage exit would be almost up there with pride in the jersey and pedigree as a major motivating factor in getting us through. As you mentioned koolkidda, we generate alot of income from this source... I'd much rather get knocked out of the Carling Cup...
      S-A-M-U-E-L-T
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts | -13 
      • LIVERPOOL!
      Reply #34: Dec 08, 2007 11:44:19 am
      I wouldnt like to go out of the champions lege. it is the best taunament in the world. yes every one wants to win the premiere leage at anfield but i for one want to see my club in the champions lege with big clubs like ac milan, juventos and others.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #35: Dec 10, 2007 01:51:00 pm
      If the Premiership IS the priority... it didn't really look like it to me on Saturday - not at the races, in all depts.
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #36: Dec 10, 2007 09:07:02 pm
      If the Premiership IS the priority... it didn't really look like it to me on Saturday - not at the races, in all depts.

Saturday was Appauling, but the posotive from that is Everton lost there as well! But yes, we need to be much better to get anywhere, especially with a big week this week.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #37: Dec 11, 2007 03:28:58 pm
      Saturday was Appauling, but the posotive from that is Everton lost there as well! But yes, we need to be much better to get anywhere, especially with a big week this week.

Swerve Everton, they're a sh*t side and we should be doing much better than them! We should be seeing how we got on against them last season (which was a 2-1 win, watched it yesterday while eating me tea) and we should build on our own results from last season!

If I was told we'll win the league this season if we go out the CL, I'd take that! But it's an obvious feeling to want to be fighting on all four fronts! Fingers crossed we can win a few this season! Imagine a quad..... That'd ruffle a few feathers with the papers! ;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #38: Dec 12, 2007 07:42:07 am
       I have always been of the opinion that we go for the lot,that is  the way and tradition of this great club.This should apply more today than it did in the 60s because of squad sizes alone.I think back to when we were quite happy to beat Everton in the final of the Liverpool and Lancashire senior cups.It also reminds me of St Johns first hat-trick against Everton.So I say go for the lot.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #39: Dec 12, 2007 11:30:11 am
      We're in the right position now to push for all 4 competitions!

The Premier League is a given, we're pushing all the way for that and I can genuinely see us doing it this season! ;)

The Champions League! We're faced with a tough draw in the last 16 but let's face it, we've stood in the face of adversity many times before and pissed on their bonfire so I don't think we've much to worry about! 8)

The FA Cup has graced us with a relatively simple match in the 4th Round! Should walk over a troubled Hatter's side and canter into the coming rounds! ;)

The Carling Cup is probably our only banana skin! Away to Chelsea is a difficult game, but we have the quality to go down there and beat them and have a pretty easy draw for the next round, in comparison with the CL and the Carling Cup game next week! ;) I think the winner of this match is basically the winner of the Carling Cup, although the lesser Prem teams left in it will be fired up for a place in Europe! (Wouldn't you just love a Carling Cup Final derby! ;)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #40: Dec 12, 2007 01:27:20 pm
      I don't give a monkeys if we lose to Chelsea in the Carling... we have bigger fish to fry this season... and the squad, as it stands, doesn't need that many games.

In fact, I would play our reserves XI vs the Chavski - would give them a game on current form, for sure.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #41: Dec 12, 2007 01:31:51 pm
      I don't give a monkeys if we lose to Chelsea in the Carling... we have bigger fish to fry this season... and the squad, as it stands, doesn't need that many games.

In fact, I would play our reserves XI vs the Chavski - would give them a game on current form, for sure.

Nemeth hat-trick anyone? :P I'm not that arsed about the League Cup anyway, but a good run for some of our younger players would do us the world of good (i.e. Arsenal's young'uns this season after getting to the final!)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #42: Dec 12, 2007 03:37:32 pm
      Nemeth hat-trick anyone? :P I'm not that arsed about the League Cup anyway, but a good run for some of our younger players would do us the world of good (I.e. Arsenal's young'uns this season after getting to the final!)

The youngsters need to be given their moments in the big-time, how else can you measure big-game temprement.

Worked out for Arsene playing/starting a lot of the Arse young boys that screwed us over in the Carling at Anfield not too long ago...
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #43: Dec 12, 2007 03:40:01 pm
      The youngsters need to be given their moments in the big-time, how else can you measure big-game temprement.

Worked out for Arsene playing/starting a lot of the Arse young boys that screwed us over in the Carling at Anfield not too long ago...

Too true! Throw them in with a couple of regulars and give them some big game experience! That's what made me laugh about everyone praising Arsene Wenger for that! He does it and it is bold! When Rafa does it, he's accused of disrespecting the competition!..... ::)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #44: Dec 12, 2007 03:55:37 pm
      Too true! Throw them in with a couple of regulars and give them some big game experience! That's what made me laugh about everyone praising Arsene Wenger for that! He does it and it is bold! When Rafa does it, he's accused of disrespecting the competition!..... ::)

That's the press vultures for you... they want Hollywood actors not football managers/coaches.

I see Grant getting in the neck for being "dull" yesterday... what is this X-Factor manager competition or is it about creating/managing football teams?

Am I missing something?

Yes I am... Headlines and Gossip sell papers.... and Good manager sound bites give Andy Gray and company loads of air-time drivel material...

Getting sick of it all to be honest...Rafa no way deserves this treatment. Starting to just watch the games now and switch off straight afterwards (apart from player or Rafa interviews, which themselves are often looking for sh*t quotes, all 3 ITV interviews - JC, SG and Rafa were hunting an anti-yank quote).
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #45: Dec 13, 2007 10:10:10 am
      If the reds do make it through to the first knockout round (then get knocked out) they will probably make something in the region of £9 million more than if we get knocked out.

This is combined from a) rewards for group performance b) two legged match fees from UEFA c) share of TV money and d) gate receipts etc

Obviously the impact on shirt sales merchandise etc also all adds up.

The reds won around £27 million when they won the Champions League - about £10 million of this was made just from being in the group stages.

At least we get 9 mil. more, now that we made it to the next stage, comes in real handy.

Quick Reply