Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match against the Hammers?

Glen Johnson
      118 (82.5%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      9 (6.3%)
      Raheem Sterling
      2 (1.4%)
      Joe Cole
      6 (4.2%)
      Pepe Reina
      2 (1.4%)
      Someone else?
      6 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 138

West Ham 2-3 Liverpool: In-game & post-match grinfest

Read 48842 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: West Ham 2-3 Liverpool: In-game & post-match grinfest
      Reply #782: Dec 09, 2012 07:02:14 pm
      Liverpool's long wait for back-to-back wins
      Following last weekend's win over Southampton, Liverpool have now won back-to-back Premier League games for the first time in a year, when Kenny Dalglish was in charge and the Reds beat QPR 1-0 on 10 December and Aston Villa 2-0 on 18 December.

Not really good enough to be honest.

This why we are where we are.

Beat AV next and...
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,502 posts | 4841 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #783: Dec 09, 2012 07:02:24 pm
      No Agger or Skrtel in the poll but Pepe is?

How did we get to that conclusion?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,281 posts | 931 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #784: Dec 09, 2012 07:03:50 pm
      This hat tastes nice
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #785: Dec 09, 2012 07:04:21 pm
      Cracking result and one I didn't think we were going to get to be honest.

Well done to Rodgers and the lads for sticking at it and getting the result.

Only one thing really alarmed me in the match and that was Rodgers lack of willing to change anything when West Ham were on top.

There was an element of good fortune for both sides in all honesty, but Diame going off certainly worked in our favour as he was bossing the midfield.

I agree Diame going off contributed to the change of the game, but i think the introduction of Henderson really helped us and his reluctance to change the team up i think was purely down to the faith he had in the players to turn it around, which they did.
      Pritchy
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #786: Dec 09, 2012 07:04:45 pm
      Well Done Lads, very impressive performance.   

Nice to see Joe Cole grabbing a goal, hopefully he will push on from here.

Great Game and hopefully the team will go on a winning run from here, as we are only 2 points behind Arsenal and 4 points from the Top 4
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,502 posts | 4841 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #787: Dec 09, 2012 07:05:37 pm
      Only one thing really alarmed me in the match and that was Rodgers lack of willing to change anything when West Ham were on top.

He did though didn't he? That's how we won, right?

They weren't the obvious changes like Shelvey off for Morgan. Brought Hendo on and changed the formation and tactics and we won.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #788: Dec 09, 2012 07:06:22 pm
      I thought we were both sh*te and good.

I have been getting quite a bit of cognitive dissonance this season, but it's easier to cope with when we've won.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #789: Dec 09, 2012 07:09:10 pm
      A tough game with bullies. They were so physically strong that it was difficult to see how we were going to get past their huge size.

We won.

Cole MOTM
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #790: Dec 09, 2012 07:12:49 pm
      The sign of a good team, to play appallingly bad and still win.  And the two most unlikely players instrumental in the win.

I'm still not convinced Rogers' philosophy will get us where we want to go, but hey, a win is a win, against a sh*thouse of a team as well.

Pleased for the lads today.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #791: Dec 09, 2012 07:14:32 pm
      his reluctance to change the team up i think was purely down to the faith he had in the players to turn it around, which they did.

He had faith in the lads to turn it around ?

In all honesty mate that never looked like happening until Diame went off.

We were at six's and sevens, like a heavy weight boxer on the ropes just waiting to for that knock out punch to land, we couldn't even string two pass's together in West Hams spell of dominance.

Diame was central to that as he was completely bossing the midfield up until the point he went off, so in my opinion it was more good fortune than tactical nouse.
      therapy2004
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 145 posts |
      Reply #792: Dec 09, 2012 07:17:53 pm

Yep, I don't mind eating a few hats if we keep winning.

I've been disappointed with the abuse of Joe Cole in this forum and am so pleased for him today.  I hate that he gets mentioned in the same breath as Downing.  Their attitudes are worlds apart, and Cole always plays with heart, even when things aren't going well for him.  Well in, Joe.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #793: Dec 09, 2012 07:18:56 pm
      Chuffed to f*ck with this win. Going to be honest and say that I thought we were beat at 2-1, but I went away to the toilet in the pub and came back to see the score was 2-2, and then once the 3rd went in it was tremendous.

Thought Glen was our man of the match. Not just for the cracker of a strike, he caused them alot of bother down the right hand side and clearly the goal put alot of confidence into him. Thought Pepe was dominant and controlling of his box which was great considering his height, and Henderson did well again, coming on in leaps and bounces. We were a tad patchy at times, hense why I thought we were beat, but we didn't and this win is crucial.

Great to see things coming together for Rodgers now, still work in the team to do for him but we're coming on.

4 points off 4th? This is looking interesting.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #794: Dec 09, 2012 07:22:29 pm
      He did though didn't he? That's how we won, right?

They weren't the obvious changes like Shelvey off for Morgan. Brought Hendo on and changed the formation and tactics and we won.

He left it until after Diame went off mate and up until that point Diame was bossing the midfield and West Ham were totally on top and probably would have stayed on top if he hadn't gone off.

For me during that period, big sam was winning the tactical battle and I'd have liked to have seen Rodgers address it especially when our midfield was getting out fought.
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #795: Dec 09, 2012 07:24:13 pm
      We now have players who have steeped up to the plate as far as gpals are concerned. Shelvey is proving to be a very good asset and a team player abd proving he is here to belong.We found a way to win today and are now 4 points out of third place. And more important 1 loss in 9 games so lets be patient brendans plan is starting to work.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,472 posts | 4593 
      Reply #796: Dec 09, 2012 07:25:35 pm

big sam was winning the tactical battle.

Must be using Global Coach  ;)
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,315 posts | 769 
      Reply #797: Dec 09, 2012 07:30:49 pm
      Watched the game in the local, should never have been a penalty, great result for the Reds today, after the midweek result starting to move forward, at last. Gave my man of the match to Glen Johnson for a cracking goal.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,496 posts | 233 
      Reply #798: Dec 09, 2012 07:30:54 pm
      Our next 4 games in December we should win no doubt (though I may accept a draw away to Stoke)
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #799: Dec 09, 2012 07:34:57 pm
      Didi Hamann ‏@DietmarHamann
      Sign of s.Dont get carried away but vibes aregooding well ana good team not playd winning at one of the toughest places outside the top team

Well said, Didi.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #800: Dec 09, 2012 07:36:44 pm
      Bloody hell haha. Someone decipher that one!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #801: Dec 09, 2012 07:36:49 pm
      Didi Hamann ‏@DietmarHamann
      Sign of s.Dont get carried away but vibes aregooding well ana good team not playd winning at one of the toughest places outside the top team

Well said, Didi.

Didi on the Pop?
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,496 posts | 233 
      Reply #802: Dec 09, 2012 07:40:00 pm
      Didi out on the lash with Erik Meijer  :laugh:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #803: Dec 09, 2012 07:40:13 pm
      Oh my word what a fantastic result! I really feared for us at 2-1 down. They were bullying us off the ball, using ALL their energy and force in the space of what must have been 30-35 minutes either side of half time. But we gradually got back into the game as the clock ticked down showing the opposition team how to preserve our energy for the full 90 minutes. West Ham only had themselves to blame for going at it like that so early in the game. The moment it turned into an end to end scrap we were going to make them pay and we did! Not a pretty match (it was a typical English Premier League match) at all but my god we showed balls today against a team on form at their own ground.

And fair play to Brendan. Joe Cole scored and Jordan Henderson set up the winner and contributed brilliantly in his cameo role. I shook my head at the thought of Lucas coming off and a Henderson, Allen and Gerrard midfield with Downing and Cole playing. 5 players (Allen to a lesser extent) taking a pounding of criticism this season, yet with those players on the field we managed to win the game. Putting on Coates stabilised things at the back as well. A very good day for Brendan Well done boss!

No complaints (although we had perfect claim for a penalty, the Allen penalty decision as harsh and one of their players should have been sent off for that high challenge on Sterling....but not complaints  ;) ).

Deserved it. It wasn't pretty or textbook but hell we deserved it.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #804: Dec 09, 2012 07:41:58 pm
      Cracking result and one I didn't think we were going to get to be honest.

Well done to Rodgers and the lads for sticking at it and getting the result.

There was an element of good fortune for both sides in all honesty, but Diame going off certainly worked in our favour as he was bossing the midfield.

In fairness, looking at our bench, it was hard to see who he could bring on to change things. It was all like-for-like.

Quick Reply