Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Liverpool 1-3 Aston Villa: In-Game and Post Match Tears

Read 50485 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Liverpool 1-3 Aston Villa: In-Game and Post Match Tears
      Reply #575: Dec 15, 2012 07:31:08 pm
      Sh*te today.
      Too many mediocre players.
      When some of the better ones have off days we crumble.
      Sadly I have to say DITTO.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,889 posts | 704 
      Reply #576: Dec 15, 2012 07:32:15 pm
      5 goals conceded in a week, 5 wins all season.

Top 6, let alone Top 4 is a dream.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #577: Dec 15, 2012 07:35:38 pm
      Too depressed to talk... still, just want to say one thing:

I want to kill bloody Reina, so Rodgers won't choose him over Jones ever again.

Is that a joke ??
      Go Ed Avi Lad
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #578: Dec 15, 2012 08:01:27 pm
      At least we'll be first on MoTD tonight :)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #579: Dec 15, 2012 08:11:56 pm
      Assaidi and Suso deserve to start.
      F**k it, give Wisdom time if he's fit.

sh*te squad.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #580: Dec 15, 2012 08:13:26 pm
      Too depressed to talk... still, just want to say one thing:

I want to kill bloody Reina, so Rodgers won't choose him over Jones ever again.

This is my new favourite ever post.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #581: Dec 15, 2012 08:14:18 pm

I like it too - I'm waiting for a couple hours so I can give it another +1
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #582: Dec 15, 2012 08:24:33 pm
      Dan Kennett ‏@DanKennett
      #LFC today: 204 completed passes in Villa's 3rd, 37 crosses, 27 shots and ZERO clear cut chances

:(
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #583: Dec 15, 2012 08:32:26 pm
      we are like a perfectly techinical boxer who gets in the ring with mike tyson. one good punch and we dont get up.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #584: Dec 15, 2012 08:48:39 pm
      The worrying thing is he seems to think Sturridge and ince will solve the problem is most worrying.

Frightening more like.

I don't want to go there.
      I wanted Lambert apres Kenny. I made that known.
      So no.
      I wont. 
      He hasn't set the world on fire so far at Villa but he did what Rogers did to us last season.
      Beat us
      Touche.

One swallow a manager does not make.

This is a shambles...even after the Hammers result.

REALITY CHECK ..   Aston Villa    West Ham and QPR.    Teams over the last 50 years we were expected to beat.

Outwitted by Lambert Laudrup and 'arry coming up.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #585: Dec 15, 2012 08:55:38 pm
      we are like a perfectly techinical boxer who gets in the ring with mike tyson. one good punch and we dont get up.

A good analogy Walton but at the minute it's more like Buster Douglas knocking us out.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #586: Dec 15, 2012 09:21:11 pm
      Outwitted by Lambert Laudrup and 'arry coming up.

Outwitted, seriously?

You might have your doubts about Rodgers, fair enough, but I never saw you speak like that about Kenny after our defeats last season. Would you say Kenny was outwitted by Roberto Martinez when Wigan beat us at Anfield? (A team that over most of the last 50 years wasn't even playing professional football, by the way)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #587: Dec 15, 2012 09:26:04 pm
      Dan Kennett ‏@DanKennett
      #LFC today: 204 completed passes in Villa's 3rd, 37 crosses, 27 shots and ZERO clear cut chances

:(

Says who, opta stats? I really don't like those 'chances' stats they compute, how come we had zero clear cut chances? In the first 20-30 minutes of the game, we had quite a few of them. The game is fresh in memory, I'm sure I can think of at least 2 clear chances.

This definition of 'chance' and 'clear cut chance' is way too subjective IMO
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #588: Dec 15, 2012 09:30:15 pm
      Outwitted, seriously?

You might have your doubts about Rodgers, fair enough, but I never saw you speak like that about Kenny after our defeats last season. Would you say Kenny was outwitted by Roberto Martinez when Wigan beat us at Anfield? (A team that over most of the last 50 years wasn't even playing professional football, by the way)
      Of course we were outwitted,with all our possession especially in the first 25 minutes we were unable to put the ball in the net,that tells me we were outwitted by Villa's defensive play.Once again too much is/was expected of Suarez and Villa saw to it that he was shut down.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #589: Dec 15, 2012 09:31:52 pm
      Of course we were outwitted,with all our possession especially in the first 25 minutes we were unable to put the ball in the net,that tells me we were outwitted by Villa's defensive play.Once again too much is/was expected of Suarez and Villa saw to it that he was shut down.

I know mate, I'm talking about Rodgers being "outwitted" by Lambert. I'm not even saying he wasn't - I just never saw people talking like that about Kenny (even though we had our share of abject defeast last season as well)
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #590: Dec 15, 2012 09:37:11 pm
      Tactically naive again today. We should have played with the ball deep and invited them on to us. They sat deep, we played right in to their hands on the counter.

Until we get an incisive CAM, teams will just sit deep and take us on the counter. We have no one who can make them pay in that position.
      Absolutely right.
      Dont want to sound repetitive, but Possesion means sh*t if thats what the other team wants. Most teams let us have the ball, and kill us on the counter. Some teams just feel more comfortable letting the rivals carry the burden of the match. It aint pretty but it can prove effective against certain opposition (in this case us).

So, again, i dont believe we played well, as most people think, and i dont think we dominated the game. We were just allowed to move the ball around harmlessly, untill the danger zone, where all our attacks died against a wall in the middle, or bas crosses. In spanish we call that "the funnel"

I have reached a point where I dont think we can play this type of football with our current squad. You need massive class to practice this brand of football, and most our players are not even close.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #591: Dec 15, 2012 09:41:45 pm
      Most teams let us have the ball, and kill us on the counter.

I agree, but it's not the case today. It's not as if they were comfortable in defense, just waiting for a moment to counter.

They weren't.

They were under a lot of pressure and their defenders were making all sorts of mistakes.

The result is what matters in football but we can't judge the match on it solely. You can tell the story of this game as if Aston Villa were a side comfortable in letting us have possession, but the fact is they weren't. The amount of chances we had in the first half an hour clearly denies that. Our inability to score and take our chances was awful though, which is a problem we're annoyingly getting used to.

I like both Shelvey and Sterling, but we can't rely on them as much as we are at the moment. Shelvey in particular is too hit and miss, he's confident to try different things but isn't accurate enough right now, making him quite frustrating to watch at times.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #592: Dec 15, 2012 09:42:36 pm
      Wow just came on here now and some of the posts on this page are downright embarrassing.For those saying they want Rodgers sacked.I want to ask where do you think this squad would be had we got someone like Mourinho or if Kenny was still in charge ?

Rodgers has inherited a team striving to get back in the champions league riddled with mediocre overpaid chancers in Joe Cole,Downing,and Carroll to begin with.He has been forced to ship out as much deadwood as possible before he is given money to invest. We've gotten rid of Bellamy,Adam,Kuyt,Maxi,Carroll,and replaced them with Allen and Assaidi. When asked would he have shipped Carroll out to West Ham had he known that they weren't signing a replacement he wouldn't have loaned him.This is not his fault.

The football we have played since he has taken over has been refreshing.He told us from day 1 that Rome wasn't built in a day and we wouldn't have this system perfected until the latter end of the system.Like last year we have been very unfortunate with both refereeing decisions and hitting the woodwork.

I am much more optimistic as a Liverpool fan than i have been for a long time.We have a clear plan for the future.The best young prospects since Owen,and Gerrard.Think back to two years ago when Hodgson was in charge and we didn't know if we were going to go bankrupt riddled with 200 odd million of debt playing hoof ball up to David N'gog and now think of what we have now ?

Am i saying Rodgers is the right man ? I don't know but you have to give the man a chance to build his squad,bring in his type of players, build a squad that doesn't rely on playing a left back as a winger and a 17 year old week in week out.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #593: Dec 15, 2012 10:02:24 pm

They were under a lot of pressure and their defenders were making all sorts of mistakes.

Thats what i think of the first 20-25 minutes. You know the local team will apply the most pressure in the first half of the first half, you just know you have to withstand that, and its downhill from there.

Anyway, i like the Rodgers style, but i dont think he has the right material to work with.

Im getting tired of our wingers / wide players crossing the ball 10 meters from our nearest player in the box. Its become so common its frustrating. Even saw Jonjo counting bad crosses with his fingers!
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #594: Dec 15, 2012 10:02:26 pm
      Wow just came on here now and some of the posts on this page are downright embarrassing.For those saying they want Rodgers sacked.I want to ask where do you think this squad would be had we got someone like Mourinho or if Kenny was still in charge ?

Rodgers has inherited a team striving to get back in the champions league riddled with mediocre overpaid chancers in Joe Cole,Downing,and Carroll to begin with.He has been forced to ship out as much deadwood as possible before he is given money to invest. We've gotten rid of Bellamy,Adam,Kuyt,Maxi,Carroll,and replaced them with Allen and Assaidi. When asked would he have shipped Carroll out to West Ham had he known that they weren't signing a replacement he wouldn't have loaned him.This is not his fault.

The football we have played since he has taken over has been refreshing.He told us from day 1 that Rome wasn't built in a day and we wouldn't have this system perfected until the latter end of the system.Like last year we have been very unfortunate with both refereeing decisions and hitting the woodwork.

I am much more optimistic as a Liverpool fan than i have been for a long time.We have a clear plan for the future.The best young prospects since Owen,and Gerrard.Think back to two years ago when Hodgson was in charge and we didn't know if we were going to go bankrupt riddled with 200 odd million of debt playing hoof ball up to David N'gog and now think of what we have now ?

Am i saying Rodgers is the right man ? I don't know but you have to give the man a chance to build his squad,bring in his type of players, build a squad that doesn't rely on playing a left back as a winger and a 17 year old week in week out.

Great and much needed perspective.

The fact is that we struggle to finish, and unfortunately when we rely on Suarez to score this will happen when he has an off day.

Still a lot of work to do, but it's not the end of the world.

Having said that, I think that Henderson should relieve Allen for a game or two. Allen is looking ragged and Henderson has played well of late. He also adds a bit more in defense. I also think that Sterling must get some rest. He should not be playing every game.

I don't know if we can get much value from Downing, but if we can't he's turning out to be an actual option at LB, could be useful to keep around. Thought he was our best player today, which is good for him but says a lot about how we struggled after they scored.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #595: Dec 16, 2012 12:03:46 am
      Didn't see any of the game, and I'm not going to bother seeing any of it either so no point me going into detail really.

Just have to say though that today has to serve as a reality check. Brendan should focus on each game as it comes, and not spout off to the media about top two finishes and such like. It's not going to happen, and I for one do not expect it to.

1 game at a time and try and win it. That is all we should be focussing on for now. I can live without the bold statements.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #596: Dec 16, 2012 12:10:08 am
      Didn't see any of the game, and I'm not going to bother seeing any of it either so no point me going into detail really.

Just have to say though that today has to serve as a reality check. Brendan should focus on each game as it comes, and not spout off to the media about top two finishes and such like. It's not going to happen, and I for one do not expect it to.

1 game at a time and try and win it. That is all we should be focussing on for now. I can live without the bold statements.

Quotes like that are considered not media friendly it would seem. (Kenny pretty much constantly said this and when you're a new manager surely is the right approach)

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,220 posts | 3393 
      Reply #597: Dec 16, 2012 12:19:28 am
      Shocking is about as kind as I could be.

We can make excuses, I could go on and say what has already been said or we can put this one to the back of our minds and look ahead to the Fulham game. Hopefully this defeat spurs on to three (ideally more) consecutive wins like our last defeat did.

Quick Reply