Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4218313 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #6256: Jul 29, 2013 06:08:57 pm
      While I don't agree with how the Pepe situation was handled, Brendan can't very well be 100% truthful when discussing transfers now can he? Not to mention, things change quickly in the transfer market. Not letting Brendan off the hook but it's not a completely black/white situation when speaking to the media.

Listen to us. He isn't on no hook, what have we become? This is our manager we're talking about here. Even in the past when I've totally disagreed with things our managers have done, I've never ever relished putting the boot in to anything like the same extent as some of the people these days. I'm not aiming at you FL, but he's not on no hook mate. I ask the question again, when Napoli enquired about the loan what should we have done for Pepe and our best interests?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,349 posts | 6394 
      Reply #6257: Jul 29, 2013 06:21:05 pm

Listen to us. He isn't on no hook, what have we become? This is our manager we're talking about here. Even in the past when I've totally disagreed with things our managers have done, I've never ever relished putting the boot in to anything like the same extent as some of the people these days. I'm not aiming at you FL, but he's not on no hook mate. I ask the question again, when Napoli enquired about the loan what should we have done for Pepe and our best interests?

If you take Pepe at his word it sounds like the deal was done and dusted before it was even mentioned to him. If we truly "got a call" from Napoli and wanted to do right by Pepe, then we should have said to him "Hey Pepe, we got a call from Napoli about a loan....it's likely you aren't going to get as much time here as you will there and it's a World Cup year so we were going to work something out with them if that works with you, otherwise it looks like you'll likely be our #2 keeper".

That would have accomplished the same thing and the deal likely would have been the same but at least Pepe has a heads up and at least it gives him the opportunity to make a statement of intent to fight for the #1 job in spite of the odds or to agree with the assessment and give the move his blessing.

The decision to loan him I don't have as much of a problem with (although I can't stand the thought of Jones as one injury away from being our #1) as the way it was carried out.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,198 posts | 1641 
      Reply #6258: Jul 29, 2013 06:30:35 pm
      If you take Pepe at his word it sounds like the deal was done and dusted before it was even mentioned to him. If we truly "got a call" from Napoli and wanted to do right by Pepe, then we should have said to him "Hey Pepe, we got a call from Napoli about a loan....it's likely you aren't going to get as much time here as you will there and it's a World Cup year so we were going to work something out with them if that works with you, otherwise it looks like you'll likely be our #2 keeper".

That would have accomplished the same thing and the deal likely would have been the same but at least Pepe has a heads up and at least it gives him the opportunity to make a statement of intent to fight for the #1 job in spite of the odds or to agree with the assessment and give the move his blessing.

The decision to loan him I don't have as much of a problem with (although I can't stand the thought of Jones as one injury away from being our #1) as the way it was carried out.
      Agreed. It seems the club and Pepe were screwed a bit by Valdes deciding to stay at Barca for another year. The fact Pepe was also willing to extend his contract, indicates again to me, that replacing him has been a purely financial decision, as in all honesty, who thought GK was a position to improve on?

Once the decision was made though, then we should of had the decency to go through it with Pepe, no excuse for treating him like that and it's a ruthless way to move on a club legend.

Both the loaning of him and the way we've gone about it has really made me itch if I'm honest, not happy at all about it.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #6259: Jul 29, 2013 06:31:28 pm
      This should be all BS, I guess haha, because in another article today sayin that vermaelen is the one who is pressing arse wenger to sign Luis due to their friendship  when with ajax ,,;D

Liverpool tracking Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen
      http://www.liverpoolfcnews.net/liverpool-tracking-arsenal-defender-thomas-vermaelen/link/124381/
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #6260: Jul 29, 2013 06:44:16 pm
      There's no way Liverpool would be tracking Vaemaelan. I couldn't make out who performed the worst last season,  him or Mertasacker, both terrible defenders.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,259 posts | 8582 
      Reply #6261: Jul 29, 2013 06:53:10 pm
      This is our manager we're talking about here.

He does bring some of it on himself just by simply opening his gob, but that's the gauntlet FSG have decided to run when they decided to bring in a more media-friendly manager.

There's no way Liverpool would be tracking Vaemaelan. I couldn't make out who performed the worst last season,  him or Mertasacker, both terrible defenders.

I think Vermaelen is a good defender imo.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #6262: Jul 29, 2013 06:59:24 pm

Mate we can accept the offer, but any deal can't be "done" without a players consent. We accepted West Hams offer for Carroll, but for a long time it looked like he was going to say no and stay at Liverpool. If he had done that, there's nothing we can do about it, exactly the same with Pepe.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #6263: Jul 29, 2013 07:08:19 pm
      Once the decision was made though, then we should of had the decency to go through it with Pepe, no excuse for treating him like that and it's a ruthless way to move on a club legend.
      They've made a habit of treating legends badly haven't they .?
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #6264: Jul 29, 2013 07:11:28 pm
      Mate we can accept the offer, but any deal can't be "done" without a players consent. We accepted West Hams offer for Carroll, but for a long time it looked like he was going to say no and stay at Liverpool. If he had done that, there's nothing we can do about it, exactly the same with Pepe.
      The difference is that Pepe will always have the clubs interest at heart and went like the loyal soldier he is .I think the letter is to let us know what kind of owners we have .
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #6265: Jul 29, 2013 07:14:57 pm

You must be new here if you think that our current manager cares whether or not players we sign are good.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #6266: Jul 29, 2013 08:04:23 pm
      You must be new here if you think that our current manager cares whether or not players we sign are good.

You're right. The manager purposely goes out and signs players he thinks are bad. Same with Kenny, and Rafa, and Houllier, and even Roy before him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,349 posts | 6394 
      Reply #6267: Jul 29, 2013 08:19:14 pm
      You're right. The manager purposely goes out and signs players he thinks are bad. Same with Kenny, and Rafa, and Houllier, and even Roy before him.

Don't feed the trolls.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #6268: Jul 29, 2013 08:27:31 pm
      will we bring in 20 million plus player or get feeling lt going to be loan deals or sell to buy , fsg think we get top 4 without spent money,
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #6269: Jul 29, 2013 08:33:38 pm

Not even cyanide? :D
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #6270: Jul 29, 2013 08:42:25 pm
      I honestly don't care if we save a ton of money and reduce the wage bill massively.

Its totally irrelevant.

We have a squad that has consistently underperformed for years and a evolution has to take place at the club.

If that means a profit and more money in the bank and that we have a far more competitive squad that FANTASTIC.

People are getting so lost in spending big money rather than the correct players. Kenny for all is godliness, showed quite clearly that money spent in large amounts on the wrong players is a terrible approach.

Player ability before cost.
      If cost comes into it then fine.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6271: Jul 29, 2013 09:04:57 pm
      I honestly don't care if we save a ton of money and reduce the wage bill massively.

Its totally irrelevant.

We have a squad that has consistently underperformed for years and a evolution has to take place at the club.

If that means a profit and more money in the bank and that we have a far more competitive squad that FANTASTIC.

People are getting so lost in spending big money rather than the correct players. Kenny for all is godliness, showed quite clearly that money spent in large amounts on the wrong players is a terrible approach.

Player ability before cost.
      If cost comes into it then fine.

So you're happy spending nothing as long as we improve next season, ?

So 5th would be an improvement  ?

Now lets presume we had £30m sat there  doing nothing.

Would that £30m not have bought one maybe two players with the 'Ability' to improve us even further, maybe 4th ?

lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #6272: Jul 29, 2013 09:12:09 pm
      Yes, I am happy if we improve next season...which means challenging for a top 4 place at least if it occurs due to little money being spent.

If we have 30 million sat in the bank as you say and it's not spent and we improve then so be it.

Spending money doesn't equate to guaranteed success.

Spending money on the correct players does.

If players leave that aren't needed or committed and we progress then great.

Money spent is irrelevant to me. It's who is brought in and who is let go.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #6273: Jul 29, 2013 09:18:52 pm
      Yes, I am happy if we improve next season...which means challenging for a top 4 place at least if it occurs due to little money being spent.

If we have 30 million sat in the bank as you say and it's not spent and we improve then so be it.

Spending money doesn't equate to guaranteed success.

Spending money on the correct players does.

If players leave that aren't needed or committed and we progress then great.

Money spent is irrelevant to me. It's who is brought in and who is let go.

Well we haven't actually done any real business yet just a few ins and outs from the squad replaced.

The next signings will actually be added to the squad

Don't think what we exchanged player wise was any better no matter what the cost

For losing reina,carra,shelvey and Carroll think we could have got 4 much better replacements than we did from a footballing point of view

Don't think any of the players in are top 4 quality so I'm still expecting 2-3 top 4 quality players again no matter what the price whether its 6m or 26m
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #6274: Jul 29, 2013 09:34:28 pm
      Well we haven't actually done any real business yet just a few ins and outs from the squad replaced.

The next signings will actually be added to the squad

Don't think what we exchanged player wise was any better no matter what the cost

For losing reina,carra,shelvey and Carroll think we could have got 4 much better replacements than we did from a footballing point of view

Don't think any of the players in are top 4 quality so I'm still expecting 2-3 top 4 quality players again no matter what the price whether its 6m or 26m

I actually do see a better squad than last season BUT i agree, it's about the 1st 11 now that matters and i am sure that we will see 2 or possibly 3 come in and a further 2 or 3 go out for loan or through sales.

I feel far more optimistic based upon our form in the second half of last season, the preseason and players brought into compete for a starting position than i have done for quite a while.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6952 
      Reply #6275: Jul 29, 2013 10:35:18 pm
      Summer spending so far - sorry the picture's massive - click the link at the bottom.

http://infogr.am/Premier-League-Net-Transfer-Spend-Summer-2013
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #6276: Jul 29, 2013 10:42:41 pm
      You might have mentioned you have to click a button at the top. Interesting reading ..... after I spent 5 minutes staring at a graph of league positions and trying to gather some inner meaning from it :)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,349 posts | 6394 
      Reply #6277: Jul 30, 2013 02:33:35 am
      I am a pretty patient person when it comes to the transfer window....but I have just about had it with the lack of any real news or movement on bringing in any more players. It's great that we did a bunch of business early....but we need to bring in some more players (or move some non-performers out) and get this squad put together sooner rather than later. What is the muther-loving hold up?? :mad:

That is all, as you were..... :f_sorry:
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #6278: Jul 30, 2013 04:52:13 am
      Fiorentina willing to listen to offers for Adem Ljajic, valued at around €10 million !!

Surely, he can be a great alternative to Mkhitaryan for that AM role.

Quick Reply