Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4275603 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #11385: Mar 09, 2014 05:52:06 pm
      Weren't we also linked with Valon Berisha from Salzburg?

That's his name. Thats who i meant when I said another player.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #11386: Mar 09, 2014 06:08:39 pm
      I hope you are right mate, but my own view is the CL money won't be spent until FSG actually have it in their grubby little fist. No speculating to accumulate from our owners mate.

It does sound like FSG do appreciate the problems as well as the advantages that CL football brings though, so I am looking forward to an interesting summer on the transfer front. Hopefully we will see a lot more comings than goings this time, with some really top players arriving and no squad fillers.

If they are consistent the owners will indeed keep their hands in their pockets, irrespective of the fact that the longer we participate in the CL the more capital flows into the club's coffers.
      A result of short term economic strategy if ever there was one.
      The only way to increase our chances of a successful run in the CL is improve on the squad's quality and size, failure to do so will inevitably impact on the time we participate in the tournament and the financial reward involved.

Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #11387: Mar 10, 2014 01:56:30 pm
      Rory Smith, Times- "Rodgers does need a left-back who can be a solid performer in that position for 10 years. Ben Davies, who he knows from Swansea, would be very good: a bit cheaper than Shaw, tall, quick, technically excellent"

Interesting that! Although I would prefer someone like Ricardo Rodriguez, Davies could be someone who can grow into a key 1st team player like Hendo or Coutinho. I trust BR's judgment.

But tall??!! He's what 5,7 ??
      Tommy#Benfica
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts | 12 
      Reply #11388: Mar 10, 2014 06:47:31 pm
      Lazar Markovic is watched by Liverpool chief scout as Reds join Chelsea in chase for Benfica star

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2577487/Liverpool-join-hunt-Benfica-star-previous-Chelsea-target-Markovic.html

20 years old. He will be top top player.

Goals:

Others:

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #11389: Mar 10, 2014 08:06:57 pm
      Brendan, here is £60,000,000, go out and sign 15 new players.

Regards, John W Henry

seeing that we now know that even the cost of toilet roles is included in the transfer kitty we should expect 2 players 1 decent one and 1 on loan
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #11390: Mar 10, 2014 08:24:43 pm
      seeing that we now know that even the cost of toilet roles is included in the transfer kitty we should expect 2 players 1 decent one and 1 on loan

Must be expensive toilet paper seeing how over the past 3 seasons we have a net spend of 124 million (41.3m/year average)

In fact we are #3 in spending over the past 3 seasons, I am sure you can guesss who number 1 & 2 are.

A bit farcical I think to say that the managers are going in like paupers when they have 40 million + sales average each year.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/premier-league/transferuebersicht/wettbewerb_GB1_2011_a.html
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #11391: Mar 10, 2014 08:31:23 pm
      According to reports Liverpool are going to give Brendan a £60million war chest and a 3 year contract. Brendan supposedly wants :- two centre-halves, a left-back, creative midfielder, winger and back-up striker to compete on four fronts next season.

Presumably if there is any truth in the article, that would put a huge question mark against Skrtel, Agger and Toure,  (I think Sakho and llori will be safe?) and Borini and Aspas (possibly one to go?)

£60 million is probably the bottom end of what we really need but about £20million more than I expected, so while they are unsubstantiated by any quotes , I don't think they are that far from the truth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2576488/John-W-Henry-prepared-Brendan-Rodgers-hilt-Liverpool-secure-Champions-League-spot.html

That's just paper talk. Transfer budgets are a relic of the past. These days clubs spend on a player-by-player basis. Plus those positions are just the Journalist speculating on what he thinks is what we need.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #11392: Mar 10, 2014 08:33:20 pm
      That's just paper talk. Transfer budgets are a relic of the past. These days clubs spend on a player-by-player basis. Plus those positions are just the Journalist speculating on what he thinks is what we need.

:D

This thread is the transfer rumours and gossip thread mate.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #11393: Mar 10, 2014 08:41:19 pm
      Must be expensive toilet paper seeing how over the past 3 seasons we have a net spend of 124 million (41.3m/year average)

In fact we are #3 in spending over the past 3 seasons, I am sure you can guesss who number 1 & 2 are.

A bit farcical I think to say that the managers are going in like paupers when they have 40 million + sales average each year.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/premier-league/transferuebersicht/wettbewerb_GB1_2011_a.html

the old transfer fund was just for the transfer fee itself.Its quite a new way to include all the costs of the contract into the "kitty".It makes it quite difficult to see exactly how much has really been spent.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #11394: Mar 10, 2014 08:53:52 pm
      the old transfer fund was just for the transfer fee itself.Its quite a new way to include all the costs of the contract into the "kitty".It makes it quite difficult to see exactly how much has really been spent.

Might be best to see what the real spend is then after we see the new system in place, because the number in transfermark do not reflect salaries just money spent on the actual transfers.

We might end up finding we are top 4 in spending year in and year out, comparing spending to City and Chelsea is an effort in futility; however if we can continue to be #1 or #2 of the group of Arsenal/United/Spurs then I will feel confident that we can continue our ascension.

Personally despite how much they spend I don't think that the spend reflects the quality of the teams themselves...Chelsea will drop 20m on a player and send them on loan and I fancy our chances against those two clubs at home.

We are getting there, though not as quick as anybody will like including myself.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #11395: Mar 10, 2014 09:36:35 pm
      Still, Sakho & Vertongen , got a nice ring to it, don't you think. ?

Must admit I really like Vertongen (despite his troubles this season). I was at the win against Spurs at Anfield last season when he scored both their goals and he really impressed me, very very comfortable on the ball and (for me) a more robust defender than Agger.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #11396: Mar 10, 2014 10:06:21 pm
      Must admit I really like Vertongen (despite his troubles this season). I was at the win against Spurs at Anfield last season when he scored both their goals and he really impressed me, very very comfortable on the ball and (for me) a more robust defender than Agger.

Wasn't he the fella who gifted The Chavs 2 goals on the weekend?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #11397: Mar 10, 2014 10:27:41 pm

Might be best to see what the real spend is then after we see the new system in place, because the number in transfermark do not reflect salaries just money spent on the actual transfers.

We might end up finding we are top 4 in spending year in and year out, comparing spending to City and Chelsea is an effort in futility; however if we can continue to be #1 or #2 of the group of Arsenal/United/Spurs then I will feel confident that we can continue our ascension.

Personally despite how much they spend I don't think that the spend reflects the quality of the teams themselves...Chelsea will drop 20m on a player and send them on loan and I fancy our chances against those two clubs at home.

We are getting there, though not as quick as anybody will like including myself.

#it matters not one jot how much we spend if we are winning and challenging.however the EPL has become a league dominated by how much money you can spend.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #11398: Mar 10, 2014 10:29:10 pm
      #it matters not one jot how much we spend if we are winning and challenging.however the EPL has become a league dominated by how much money you can spend.

If that is all it will ever be the as it stands right now Chelsea and City will be it for the foreseeable future.

Sad but true.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #11399: Mar 10, 2014 11:26:38 pm

I disagree with this. You see teams likes Everton, Newcastle, and Southhampton doing quite well in the EPL and they don't sped a ton. We haven't spent a ton and we are second. We found two gems in Sturridge and Coutinho. It is all about finding quality players regardless of price. 50M players are not always the best players and not always the best fit for a team, as we have seen with Torres at Chelsea. It is all about finding the best players to fit your system for good value.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #11400: Mar 10, 2014 11:42:31 pm
      :D

This thread is the transfer rumours and gossip thread mate.

Transfer rumours of players, not proposed spending ;)
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #11401: Mar 10, 2014 11:46:40 pm

Vertongen would be a good addition but who'd be the make-weight?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #11402: Mar 10, 2014 11:52:20 pm
      Transfer rumours of players, not proposed spending ;)

I suppose that is covered by the gossip part mate. :)

Back on topic

I think Vertongen would be an excellent buy, but would Spurs sell him to us? 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #11403: Mar 10, 2014 11:54:52 pm
      Vertongen would be a good addition but who'd be the make-weight?

Toure.

but would Spurs sell him to us?

Unlikely, not cheap anyway because Spurs do have a habit of squeezing every penny out of clubs for their key players. Modric and Bale in particular.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #11404: Mar 11, 2014 03:46:09 am
      Shame, the release clause in Pepe's contract is just £4m, he looked like the most bankable asset this summer. We can probably expect £1.5m for Coates, £3.5m for Assaidi and £5m for Aspas
      wghennessy
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #11405: Mar 11, 2014 06:42:36 am
      A left footed, left sided centre back is not what we need...
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #11406: Mar 11, 2014 06:55:08 am
      A left footed, left sided centre back is not what we need...

And definitely not £15m+ rated Vertonghen. He would be a great addition but would be an unnecessary luxury as we have Sakho and Agger for the LCB spot
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #11407: Mar 11, 2014 07:28:49 am
      And definitely not £15m+ rated Vertonghen. He would be a great addition but would be an unnecessary luxury as we have Sakho and Agger for the LCB spot

I think if we're in for Vertonghen (who I rate very highly) I think it would be a clear indication that Agger is on his way out. There's no chance, as you say, that we'd have 3 top class left sided CB's on the books.

Outside of Kompany I'd rate Vertonghen as one of the very best in the league.

Quick Reply