Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4249332 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #18354: Dec 19, 2014 08:48:38 am

If so

We have learnt nothing

A review of the committee.....

Right lads, new start, forget all that's gone before... What we got?

How about Delph?

Birmingham isn't even as far as Southampton to get to to watch him for 15 minutes.. Yeah get the wheels in motion
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #18355: Dec 19, 2014 09:07:53 am

If we go after Delph I'll puke for weeks.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18356: Dec 19, 2014 11:55:17 am
      Haha dream with Arturo Vidal, Pogba etc, wake up with Fabian Delph. It would be depressing. Can't say I've paid enough attention to Delph though - unsure what he would bring to our team.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #18357: Dec 19, 2014 12:08:21 pm
      I know I'll get slaughtered for this but I don't give a bollocks. Delph is a good player and as he's available for the best part of f*ck all would be a decent signing. I think he would get into our team and is a better player than Henderson.

DISCLAIMER: That doesn't mean I agree with the way the transfer committee are doing things/back the owners/think he ought to be the only player we should pick up etc etc. 
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #18358: Dec 19, 2014 12:16:50 pm
      I know I'll get slaughtered for this but I don't give a bollocks. Delph is a good player and as he's available for the best part of f*ck all would be a decent signing. I think he would get into our team and is a better player than Henderson.

DISCLAIMER: That doesn't mean I agree with the way the transfer committee are doing things/back the owners/think he ought to be the only player we should pick up etc etc.

Doing a better job than Henderson is hardly a ringing endorsement given his form this season. The point people are making is every time we want to see World class players get signed as a demonstration of our ambition to be something on the global footballing stage, we turn to a lower table team to pluck some one-season wonder from. If ever we needed FSG to put hand in pocket, it's now in a season we're languishing in lower-mid-table in. Besides, part of the problem is he's being styled as 'the new Steven Gerrard'.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #18359: Dec 19, 2014 12:18:39 pm
      To be fair, Fabian Delph would cost next to nothing in January as he's contract is up in the summer.

He's turned into a very good box-to-box player and I'd say he is on a similar level to Jordan Henderson right now. For £5m or less we could do much worse.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #18360: Dec 19, 2014 12:37:09 pm
      . For £5m or less we could do much worse.

Forget the money

Will he take us to the next level.. Could we do better than Delph?

Next Gerrard, maybe the 34 year old Steven but not the 25 year old Stevie we need.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #18361: Dec 19, 2014 12:48:15 pm
      So we're going to be buying either pure sh*te or nothing then.

TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #18362: Dec 19, 2014 12:58:29 pm
      Yeah. I would rather play with existing players for next 2 seasons than get players like Delph. I don't care if he actually turns out to be the next Gerrard but I would stay the F**k away from these mid level players for the next 2 years at least. We have enough of them with us right now.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,452 posts | 2846 
      Reply #18363: Dec 19, 2014 01:11:53 pm
      Delph's decent but I'd rather we mould Can into that 'box to box' midfielder (if that's the type of midfielder Brendan wants that is).
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #18364: Dec 19, 2014 01:36:57 pm
      We don't really need a Gerrard replacement, we need a good keeper, a reliable, pacey striker and a defender or two.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #18365: Dec 19, 2014 01:37:52 pm
      I'm not going to take it as set in stone (Delph), and I think he is a decent player, but how many top clubs would be after him?

Answer. None

There is a reason he is at Villa, there is a reason top clubs won't want him..

I think the next window or two is key to really seeing how we see ourselves.. A lot of the fan base are frustrated with our recent business, well if we only target and bring in 'decent' players that deepening resentment will grow

That top 4 (in terns of recent traditional) don't have squads full of 'decent' players, they have quality supplemented with 'decent' and top end to make the difference

I'm sorry but if we are full of Delph's and we don't get more ambitious and creative with our players then we may as well accept our place in the new world order.. We had that Cream on top last season and it showed... I'd we don't look to that level again we can't compete with that level, not in the modern game.

If a Delph was added to pure top end quality then fine but a squad of Delph's.... Well there is a ceiling to their potential and the best won't be worried
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #18366: Dec 19, 2014 02:05:28 pm
      So we're going to be buying either pure sh*te or nothing then.

We have very little reason to be optimistic under the reigns of FSG.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #18367: Dec 19, 2014 02:49:35 pm

I've only seen him against us, granted but he looked a very good player in those 90mins to me.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #18368: Dec 19, 2014 03:14:04 pm
      :lmao: Come off it! Borini would score more than Benzema at Madrid? :lmao:

2010/11 - 26 in 48
      2011/12 - 32 in 52
      2012/13 - 20 in 50
      2013/14 - 24 in 52
      2014/15 - 14 in 23

Borini doesn't have 5-10 goals in him never mind 32. Also, considering Madrid have Ronaldo, Bale, Rodriguez etc. then saying Benzema is their weakest attacking player carries no weight at all.

His first couple of seasons, he was terrible, reminded me of Heskey at times!!! As for now, he still has that heavy touch on him, relies on creativity and he's not a natural finisher. Stick him in a weaker team and watch him flounder. He would not be the main man. I would go as far to say Origi is a better #9 from his world cup performances alone! Benzema is another overhyped player like how Balotelli was.

For 50m, I would rather we spend it on players like Sanchez, Suarez, Firimno etc or 2 exceptional players.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #18369: Dec 19, 2014 04:21:48 pm
      His first couple of seasons, he was terrible, reminded me of Heskey at times!!! As for now, he still has that heavy touch on him, relies on creativity and he's not a natural finisher. Stick him in a weaker team and watch him flounder. He would not be the main man. I would go as far to say Origi is a better #9 from his world cup performances alone! Benzema is another overhyped player like how Balotelli was.

For 50m, I would rather we spend it on players like Sanchez, Suarez, Firimno etc or 2 exceptional players.

I disagree. I thought he was a lazy striker but over the past 2-3 seasons he has been immense for Real Madrid after being out of Gonzalo Higuain's shadow somewhat and I thought he was the best striker going at the World Cup. He has turned into a bit of a team player too now and provides assists as well as goals. I'd take KB in a heartbeat (although it will not happen).
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #18370: Dec 19, 2014 04:30:34 pm

You are kidding?! You clearly didn't take note of those stats I posted. Benzema isn't a natural finisher but Borini is, WOW! You do realise that most strikers in the world rely on creativity right? There aren't many Messi's, Suarez's and Ronaldo's knocking about - the type of strikers that create things themselves. So... you think Benzema is overrated but want to go spend £50m on Firmino.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,452 posts | 2846 
      Reply #18371: Dec 19, 2014 04:41:50 pm
      Rumours flying about that Origi could be set to come back for 6m euros next month.

Not sure about that really, only scored 4 times and 2 were penalties.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #18372: Dec 19, 2014 04:43:02 pm
      You are kidding?! You clearly didn't take note of those stats I posted. Benzema isn't a natural finisher but Borini is, WOW! You do realise that most strikers in the world rely on creativity right? There aren't many Messi's, Suarez's and Ronaldo's knocking about - the type of strikers that create things themselves. So... you think Benzema is overrated but want to go spend £50m on Firmino.

The point I'm making is that I don't rate Benzema and him being in the Real team makes him look good when he's not, hence the reason why I said Borini would probably score just as much as him if not more... and I never said Borini is a natural finisher :p

As for forwards, I would prefer to waste 50m on a Firimino, Sanchez, Suarez etc type players which I believe we need the most. If we went for a proper #9, I would go for one that is more of a natural finisher. Still believe Origi and Sturridge will be good enough next season as #9s, especially if they had a goal scoring creative player next to them.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18373: Dec 19, 2014 04:45:59 pm
      The point I'm making is that I don't rate Benzema and him being in the Real team makes him look good when he's not, hence the reason why I said Borini would probably score just as much as him if not more... and I never said Borini is a natural finisher :p

Benzema has been regularly picked by both Mourinho and Ancelotti, two of the most successful managers in the history of association football, in a team that has the power to buy pretty much whoever they want and easily replace him if that was their goal; do you really think he's that terrible and that Borini would do better for Real? Seriously?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #18374: Dec 19, 2014 04:52:39 pm
      Benzema has been regularly picked by both Mourinho and Ancelotti, two of the most successful managers in the history of association football, in a team that has the power to buy pretty much whoever they want and easily replace him if that was their goal; do you really think he's that terrible and that Borini would do better for Real? Seriously?

It's not about having the best players in the first 11, it's about making the team tick, it's about the balance and chemistry which Benzema offers. They feel comfortable with him and Benzema is more familiar with his surroundings and role he plays because he's been there a while.

Take Benzema out of that team and place him in ours, I don't think he'll score many and struggle. As using the Borini reference, I was merely highlighting that I do not rate Benzema.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #18375: Dec 19, 2014 04:56:58 pm

Some paper talk about BR signing Benzema for 50m.
      Don't shoot the messenger.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/547662/Brendan-Rodgers-Liverpool-50m-Karim-Benzema
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18376: Dec 19, 2014 05:12:36 pm

Terribly overpriced but at this point, who cares? Would be a great player for us. Bid some 30M for Reus, get them both in January and see our season be transformed.

Quick Reply