Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4275346 times
      sell73out
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts |
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #24794: May 25, 2016 07:47:24 am
      Yes there are bargains out there mate, the trick is finding them. Leicester were extremely lucky and found 3 or 4 but usually when a club finds one they count their blessings, because before you find a quality bargain you usually have to buy a lot of crap first.

There is a reason top clubs are at the top and more importantly stay there and it's not down to the odd bargain buy. Its buying top quality players that keeps clubs at the top and competing for titles year after year.

Every team in the league is looking for the quality bargain buy... how many find one, never mind 3 or 4 ? More often the team that sells it's quality players and brings in the cheap alternatives finishes up like Villa rather than Leicester. 

Of course you can also buy expensive flops, but usually there is good reason that a player has a high price tag, but you do still have to remember that "past performance is no guarantee of future results". 

Any doubts ...take a look at the players we have bought in the bargain bin over the last few years.

There is no doubt that when you pay huge money for a flop it is a much more significant blow than paying £5 million or so for a cheap gamble, but there is also no doubt that buying 4 or 5 cheap gambles is more likely to see you heading down the league rather than up it.

For me you look for top quality and suffer the odd cheap missed opportunity because in the end its quality that usually counts and while the Leicesters of this world may hit the jackpot once in a lifetime I'm hoping for more than that.

Firstly, I'll point to Sturridge and Suarez - both bought (relatively) on the cheap.
      Secondly, turning relative unknowns into quality players is Klopps mo, it what he's done at Mainz and Dortmund... Players like Gotze and Reus were bargain basement picks that he mounded into stars. This is how he likes to operate and I see no reason for that style to have changed.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #24795: May 25, 2016 08:37:52 am
      I would like to see some outgoings too. :)

You know Benteke, MORENO, Henderson (I know he won't go but I can hope), etc.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #24796: May 25, 2016 08:40:04 am
      Well Karius in, which means that two out of Mig / Ward / Bogdan will be out
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #24797: May 25, 2016 08:48:17 am
      Well Karius in, which means that two out of Mig / Ward / Bogdan will be out

Bogdan out. Ward on loan to Huddersfield, if I am not wrong.

Migs will be number 2 or on his bike.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #24798: May 25, 2016 08:55:39 am
      Yes there are bargains out there mate, the trick is finding them. Leicester were extremely lucky and found 3 or 4 but usually when a club finds one they count their blessings, because before you find a quality bargain you usually have to buy a lot of crap first.

There is a reason top clubs are at the top and more importantly stay there and it's not down to the odd bargain buy. Its buying top quality players that keeps clubs at the top and competing for titles year after year.

Every team in the league is looking for the quality bargain buy... how many find one, never mind 3 or 4 ? More often the team that sells it's quality players and brings in the cheap alternatives finishes up like Villa rather than Leicester. 

Of course you can also buy expensive flops, but usually there is good reason that a player has a high price tag, but you do still have to remember that "past performance is no guarantee of future results". 

Any doubts ...take a look at the players we have bought in the bargain bin over the last few years.

There is no doubt that when you pay huge money for a flop it is a much more significant blow than paying £5 million or so for a cheap gamble, but there is also no doubt that buying 4 or 5 cheap gambles is more likely to see you heading down the league rather than up it.

For me you look for top quality and suffer the odd cheap missed opportunity because in the end its quality that usually counts and while the Leicesters of this world may hit the jackpot once in a lifetime I'm hoping for more than that.

Great post mate and spot on. While we're buying a bunch of players that six months ago nobody had heard of, our rivals in the league are buying proven quality players. Ibrahimovic from example is a wonderful player who when they use him, will massively enhance the Mancs. Similarly Xacha and Moratti at Arsenal, God only knows who Chelsea and Man City will buy.

Yes it helps that Jürgen has a history of doing well with cheap buys, but it's not something to rub our hands with glee about. As I've said a few times now, I hope the people who are doing so cut him a bit f slack if when the dust settles he actually hasn't managed to overtake seven teams in the league while spending a fraction of their budget.

I can't help thinking sometimes that mission "dumb down expectations" by FSG has been one of the most successful sporting operations of recent times.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,690 posts | 7160 
      Reply #24799: May 25, 2016 09:33:02 am
      maybe not being able to buy players who will olyn play in the CL is a good thing. We need players who want to come here for 5 years or more and build a winning team not somebody wanting £200k a week without any real desire to be here. I am not saying they should all be life long Liverpool supporters just natural born winners.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #24800: May 25, 2016 11:07:37 am
      Genuinely hope that we make a couple of top quality signings as well as the bargain buys and find it sad that so many are rubbing their hands with glee because we may not.   

Let's face it, if BR had been making the recent signings we'd be shitting our pants (Matip, Grujic, Loris). Now linked with young Leicester player who didn't feature last year - Chilwell.

Am fine with potential, and expect Jürgen has a better eye for a transfer than BR - and everything's crossed for the new guys to work out. But imo would be good to make one or two proven experienced top quality signings.
      Am hopeful we will, the club were willing to shell out 32mill for Tex in Jan, so should be a few bob available that wasn't spent then. Maybe keeping those cards close to his chest.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #24801: May 25, 2016 11:16:41 am
      Bogdan out. Ward on loan to Huddersfield, if I am not wrong.

Migs will be number 2 or on his bike.

I've got a bike for sale but I'll gladly give it away if it means Migs says Ta-ra, err,isn't there a tour de France coming up?

YNWA
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #24802: May 25, 2016 11:18:27 am
      If we get rid of Bogdan and Mignolet then that puts us under pressure to find a back up keeper as we'll have nobody. I don't see them both leaving.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #24803: May 25, 2016 11:50:08 am
      If we get rid of Bogdan and Mignolet then that puts us under pressure to find a back up keeper as we'll have nobody. I don't see them both leaving.

Me neither mate.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #24804: May 25, 2016 12:04:50 pm

Not yet but I have a suspicion that Ward is being set up to eventually provide Karius the competition rather than Karius providing Mignolet the competition which I think is a short term solution. Both are the same age so sending Ward out on loan for a season or two to gain more experience then bring him back and move Mignolet on. At least, I hope that's the case.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #24805: May 25, 2016 12:06:07 pm
      So £45m for Brahimi?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #24806: May 25, 2016 12:19:23 pm

Absolute madness if there's any truth in that.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #24807: May 25, 2016 12:24:19 pm
      Absolute madness if there's any truth in that.

The player or the price mate?

It's a bit of a weak link but seeing as so many were having a whinge at all the cheapies and freebies we're getting and demanding we need experience (he's 26) and expensive (£45m) to improve the squad, I thought I'd throw it in  ;)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #24808: May 25, 2016 12:26:42 pm

45m (inc wages) would be better off being spent on buying back Masch and Alonso.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #24809: May 25, 2016 12:33:28 pm
      45m (inc wages) would be better off being spent on buying back Masch and Alonso.

We need to look to the future not backwards.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #24810: May 25, 2016 12:35:46 pm
      The player or the price mate?

It's a bit of a weak link but seeing as so many were having a whinge at all the cheapies and freebies we're getting and demanding we need experience (he's 26) and expensive (£45m) to improve the squad, I thought I'd throw it in  ;)

Both debs.

The fact he is 26 and I've barely heard of him coupled with the last expensive flop we signed from the Portuguese league gives me the opinion that the price is ludicrous for a risky signing.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #24811: May 25, 2016 12:42:33 pm

Masch is headed to Juve!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #24812: May 25, 2016 12:53:23 pm
      Both debs.

The fact he is 26 and I've barely heard of him coupled with the last expensive flop we signed from the Portuguese league gives me the opinion that the price is ludicrous for a risky signing.

Agreed mate but some prefer it when we're linked with really expensive players, especially ones from foreign leagues.

Like I said, it's a pretty weak link so was just a bit of fun.  I'd be mortified if we pursued it  :f_tongueincheek:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #24813: May 25, 2016 12:58:44 pm

Any chance of a rumour for a player we have actually heard of before :)

How the hell am I supposed to criticise players who I have neither seen or heard of...
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #24814: May 25, 2016 01:08:17 pm
      Any chance of a rumour for a player we have actually heard of before :)

How the hell am I supposed to criticise players who I have neither seen or heard of...

Do your own bloody research! 

Have you any idea how hard it is to find links for players we're looking at spending more than £5m on  :P
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #24815: May 25, 2016 01:22:07 pm
      Not yet but I have a suspicion that Ward is being set up to eventually provide Karius the competition rather than Karius providing Mignolet the competition which I think is a short term solution. Both are the same age so sending Ward out on loan for a season or two to gain more experience then bring him back and move Mignolet on. At least, I hope that's the case.

Ward won't be here next season though, he'll be on loan at Huddersfield so it would still put us back to square one if we got rid of both Mignolet and Bogdan.

I'd rather spoon my eyeballs out. He's decent but £45m? No thanks. He barely scrapes to 10 goals and 10 assists in all comps.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #24816: May 25, 2016 01:24:04 pm
      Do your own bloody research! 

Have you any idea how hard it is to find links for players we're looking at spending more than £5m on  :P

To be fair he sounds just what I was asking for :-

I think Gotze is earmarked for that role mate. I think we may also go for a goalscoring winger type who can play central at a pinch, rather than another central AM that can wide at a pinch such as Couts and Firmino. Someone who can beat a player, get a cross in or pick a pass and can even score when the opportunity presents itself, rather than relying on fullbacks who have no end product.

I am sure I will find something to criticise him for if I look hard enough. Maybe I should concentrate on price... £45 million we could get 9 or 10 players for that!  :)

Quick Reply