Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4322402 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #25507: Jun 20, 2016 01:19:50 pm

Oh yep, forgot about him. Ibrhaimovic as well. There's plenty of players out there who are proven quality. Annoyingly for our transfer and wages policy though, they tend to know themselves that they are proven quality and want top money. Grrrrrrrr!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #25508: Jun 20, 2016 01:22:15 pm
      Vidal  has impressed me immensely in these Euros...but I suppose he's likely not a possibility.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #25509: Jun 20, 2016 01:26:23 pm
      Vidal  has impressed me immensely in these Euros...but I suppose he's likely not a possibility.

Oh yeah he's another. Payet there's another. "Proven" players aren't that hard to identify really are they, or am I just incredibly shrewd? Matts Hummels there's another. Marco Reus, Mikkiwhatsisface. I'm getting the taste now.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #25510: Jun 20, 2016 01:27:25 pm
      Edison Cavani he used to be quite good didn't he? Toni Kroos he can play a bit.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #25511: Jun 20, 2016 01:33:15 pm

Unfortunately I think all of the players we are naming are going to be non-starters with no CL footy. My hope is that Klopp will make good on his well renowned tactic of finding the next big thing so that we might not get Kroos or Rues or Vidal, but instead the next Kroos, Reus or Vidal. So in that respect, maybe Karius is the next Neuer? 
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #25512: Jun 20, 2016 01:51:09 pm

Cavani is hugely overrated.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #25513: Jun 20, 2016 02:03:06 pm

Fair enough mate not talking about specific players really, more about the type or calorie of player.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #25514: Jun 20, 2016 02:04:58 pm
      All the players mentioned - why would they come we are hardly an attractive proposition.

One CL appearance in donkeys years, don't pay the real top wages, one trophy in a decade.

Get realistic folk.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #25515: Jun 20, 2016 02:07:37 pm
      All the players mentioned - why would they come we are hardly an attractive proposition.

One CL appearance in donkeys years, don't pay the real top wages, one trophy in a decade.

Get realistic folk.

Once again I'm not specifically talking about these players, just these type of players. As for whether they'd come or not, perhaps I'm more cynical than most but if you pay enough players will come, simple as that IMHO.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #25516: Jun 20, 2016 02:10:58 pm

Get realistic folk.

One of "selling points" for Klopp (and derisory points against Brendan) was that he would be able to "pull" in the players that Brendan couldn't, even without CL football.

I'm guessing you aren't in the camp that believes that?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #25517: Jun 20, 2016 02:11:16 pm

Once again I'm not specifically talking about these players, just these type of players. As for whether they'd come or not, perhaps I'm more cynical than most but if you pay enough players will come, simple as that IMHO.

That's the problem Mick we were willing to pay Gotze £175k a week but he didn't see us as big a draw as we like to think we are.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #25518: Jun 20, 2016 02:12:35 pm
      One of "selling points" for Klopp (and derisory points against Brendan) was that he would be able to "pull" in the players that Brendan couldn't, even without CL football.

I'm guessing you aren't in the camp that believes that?

Grow up and move on, not the same old sh*t, Rodgers is gone!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #25519: Jun 20, 2016 02:13:59 pm
      Grow up and move on, not the same old sh*t, Rodgers is gone!

Piss off...I was genuinely asking, but if you have to be a moaning baby about  it just forget it.  :roll:  Tool.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #25520: Jun 20, 2016 02:14:43 pm

Get realistic folk.

I was just about to say the same myself.

It's all well and good having a discussion about spending big and paying top wages but who out there would sign for us?

bigmick mentioned filipe luis and eric dier.  Both in the champions league, both challenged for the title, one was in a CL final.  We might be a bigger club than those two in terms of history and fan base but why on earth would they leave their clubs to sign for us? Even if we offered them top wages, we can't blow the likes of Atletico and Spurs out of the water, they can pretty much match us.

We don't even have a world class player in the squad any more. How bad is that? It's the first time in my life I have witnessed a liverpool squad that doesn't feature a player that can be described as world class. At least there were players once upon a time ago who wanted to play alongside Steven for example. We don't even have that any more.

All we have is Klopp. Players want to play for him but it isn't enough. They need more.  And sorry if I offend anybody but the Pogbas of this world don't give a shiny sh*te about what we won in the 80's or how many fans we have in Malaysia.

We all want marquee signings, there is a buzz when we sign a player of that standard, but it's going to take time. We finished 8th last season so we're not in a position to demand them unfortunately.

I fully trust Klopp to bring in a couple of gems that nobodys ever heard of but in 12-24 months time the whole world will know who they are. Having no Thursday night football this season is a blessing in disguise, we will have a full fresh fit squad playing 1 game a week next season, we will finish in the top 4 comfortably, and next summer is when you will see players coming here who really excite us all.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #25521: Jun 20, 2016 02:16:38 pm
      Apparently we have been in talks over Pogba. Not really worth posting the article, but here's the link :)

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2016/06/man-utd-and-liverpool-in-paul-pogba-talks-says-agent/
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #25522: Jun 20, 2016 02:19:06 pm
      We might be a bigger club than those two in terms of history and fan base but why on earth would they leave their clubs to sign for us?

People said exactly the same thing about our manager mate. If we sack Brendan who would we get etc etc.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #25523: Jun 20, 2016 02:28:05 pm
      That's the problem Mick we were willing to pay Gotze £175k a week but he didn't see us as big a draw as we like to think we are.

Maybe it has more to do with our perceived lack of ambition than wages mate, but I think losing the final and with it the CL place was perhaps the final nail in that particular coffin.

I don't think established stars find a project quite as attractive as the chance to play in the CL and win trophies. We need to start showing real ambition if we are going to get established stars to come. Pick our target carefully and then pay what it takes both in wages and fees to get him and hope that this will encourage other top players to take a chance on us.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #25524: Jun 20, 2016 02:30:07 pm

When you put something in quotes debs it's usually a good idea to make sure the person you're quoting actually said it. I never mentioned "young with potential" at all. I said "players for the future" who we can "develop into stars". You've then gone "I'll go with 21 and under but do a summary for those aged 22 and 23 as they're still considered "young with potential"." and i can't help thinking we are talking about different things here.

Look.

1. I don't care how old the player is.

2. I don't care how much money the player costs.

3. I don't care if the player is a "big name".

4. I don't care how much wages a player gets.

What I am talking about is us signing players (a couple of them, no more although it would be nice) who are proven at the highest level, regularly feature in the Champions League, have experience of a big club, are regulars in their national team etc. Players who would get pretty close to if not getting into Juventus's team, Paris Saint Germaine's team, Dortmunds teams etc. I'm not necessarily advocating signing blokes who would walk into Barcelonas first team or Madrids or Bayerns as that's cloud cuckoo land and I know that, but I'm talking proper players who instantly improve us (in theory anyway, I know there's always a chance ANY player won't work).   

Well apologies for the misrepresentation of your meaning mate but usually when people talk about ones for the future and in need of development they are generally talking about young players.  I've rarely seen a 27/28/29 year old referred to as one for the future so forgive me for misunderstanding.

OK some names. You'll have to forgive my ignorance as I don't watch much foreign football, but I'll throw some names in there for you starting with a couple who are based in English football. I'm not necessarily advocating we sign any of these players, I'm saying THESE TYPE of players.

You need a holding midfielder? Eric Dyer. IMHO Englands best player at the Euros so far. Marco Veratti. Fabulous player and lynchpin of the PSG midfield.

You need a goalie? Frazer Forster, IMHO the best English goalkeper in England.

You need a left back? Filipe Luis, Athletico Madrid. Danny Rose, Tottenham.

You need a creative midfielder? Ross Barclay, career has stalled but will be a top player. Isco. Rarely features at Madrid but a top player, ditto Luca Modric (although he features) and James Rodriguez, and the other young Craotian fella who's name escapes me.

Striker? Morata from Juventus/Real Madrid.

etc etc etc etc. Looking for "proven"? Look at the best club competition in the world (Champions League) and pick the players who play regularly in that. You won't go far wrong. 

So you think players who are regularly winning league titles and playing in the CL every season would choose to come to Liverpool?

A Club who hasn't won a title in over 25 years and has only played in the CL once in the last 7 seasons?

When and if the clubs those players are regularly playing for decide they are surplus to requirements and want to sell them, they will have their pick of most of the other clubs who regularly win titles and play in the CL every season?

You believe throw enough money at them and they'll come, well maybe they would if no other Club wanted them. 

Like Gotze?  We met the asking price, gave him a higher wage than he's getting at his big club but he still turned us down, preferring to hope he catches the eye of Barca or Madrid at the Euros or sit out his contract on the bench at Bayern for less money, so he can pick and choose where he goes next summer. 

That should tell you where we are in "the big club" ladder of those top class players.

Let's look a little closer at your criteria though and see what we already have.

Full Internationals - we have more players away on full International duty this summer than any other PL Club.  We would have had even more if Lovren hadn't fallen out with his Manager and Sakho hadn't decided he was on the tubby side or Brazils Managers wasn't blind and called up Firmino.

CL experience prior to arriving - Lovren, Sakho, Can, Coutinho, Sturridge, Origi, Firmino, Milner, Toure, Markovic, Karius, Matip, Balotelli

We have a way to go before we become the go to Club for honours mate though with Jürgen I'm sure it'll happen again pretty soon.  I get yours and others frustrations at this, you believe that if we don't start acting soon we'll fall further behind but I can't and won't succumb to that thinking. 

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #25525: Jun 20, 2016 02:47:43 pm
      From the Echo:

image sharing sites

The link from that story:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Jürgen-klopps-liverpool-transfer-strategy-11492029

Jürgen knows whats up.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,995 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #25526: Jun 20, 2016 03:43:13 pm
      The first part Billy - will Allen, Lucas, Ibe, Benteke and Markovic still be here?  At this stage we have no idea but going onto the second part if they leave will they be replaced, you could say 2 of them have been or will be soon.

We've already signed one midfielder and are looking to bring in Zielinski, another midfielder, sometime this week.

We're also looking at Mane, a pacey, wide attacker so that's Ibe and/or Markovic place taken.

Benteke is the only one, if sold, that I don't think will be replaced, as in another no9 arriving. 

If I had to guess I'd say probably Allen and Benteke will go.  Allen because he's into the last year of his contract and so far has not been offered or even been in discussion for a new one.  Benteke isn't suited to a Jürgen team and still has plenty of value as despite him not really lighting up our attack, he still managed to score at a 1 in 2 rate.

As for Lucas, Ibe and Markovic I think they'll stay.  We've only 3 senior CBs now if Skrtel leaves so he can cover there and with Can, Hendo, Milner and Allen all at the Euros, none of them will be ready for the Arsenal game, if Jurgens pre season comments are correct.  That means we'll only have Stewart, Grujic, Brannagan and Chirivella as our CM options if Lucas leaves.

Ibe and Markovic are still very young and can still improve.  They've a fair bit of senior experience to cover Mane, or whichever wide attacker arrives, otherwise if they both go we're down to using Ojo, Kent and/or Canos.  Yes there's Lallana to play there too but he lacks pace, so for the games we need that attribute or need to switch it up with subs Ibe and Marko are our best options.

Of course none of that could happen and we sell the lot and bring in some super duper star quality that everyone can have a good old virtual w*nk over  ;D 

I'm with you in regards to Benteke & Allen, but I also think Ibe could be off to, I'm not sure Jürgen sees enough in him but he's still naive so he may choose to hold onto him for now, now having said that I think a fully fit Markovic is a better prospect than Ibe and once he's had a few weeks in and around Jürgen we could still see the best of Lazar, I think TPM was to hasty in chucking him under the bus having played him out of position to often, and not giving him time to properly settle,
      I agree Lucas could be vital for the early league games and cover for central defence, I'm not so sure Stewart or  Chirivella will feature much but I do think Brannagan will, not sure about the latest on Mama, will he be eligible for the seasons start or not, ?

We have young Gomez to come back although I don't see him being thrown to the lions straight away, if indeed Mane arrives I'd like to believe he'd be our main threat from out wide but we will need cover hence keeping hold of Lazar/Ibe,

I think Jürgen will pull a rabbit or two from the hat, we know of the usual suspects in Gotze. Zelinski, etc, but I like the element of surprise, that, ' we never seen that coming' kind of deal, might even be a markee situation, F**k knows, could well be w*nk material too  ;D

YNWA
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #25527: Jun 20, 2016 03:44:15 pm

OK some names. You'll have to forgive my ignorance as I don't watch much foreign football, but I'll throw some names in there for you starting with a couple who are based in English football. I'm not necessarily advocating we sign any of these players, I'm saying THESE TYPE of players.

You need a holding midfielder? Eric Dyer. IMHO Englands best player at the Euros so far. Marco Veratti. Fabulous player and lynchpin of the PSG midfield.

You need a goalie? Frazer Forster, IMHO the best English goalkeper in England.

You need a left back? Filipe Luis, Athletico Madrid. Danny Rose, Tottenham.

You need a creative midfielder? Ross Barclay, career has stalled but will be a top player. Isco. Rarely features at Madrid but a top player, ditto Luca Modric (although he features) and James Rodriguez, and the other young Craotian fella who's name escapes me.

Striker? Morata from Juventus/Real Madrid.

etc etc etc etc. Looking for "proven"? Look at the best club competition in the world (Champions League) and pick the players who play regularly in that. You won't go far wrong. 

Agree on most of those players listed mick apart from the clearly unproven ones... Dier, Rose, Barkley and Forster.

But in the real world what top quality proven players are going to leave Real, PSG and Juventus to sign for us?

We don't have the cash to sign such players even with the tv money.

So unless we get new owners flush with cash you can forget about us signing any top proven players from such clubs.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #25528: Jun 20, 2016 03:45:05 pm
      THE WINDOW HASN'T OPENED YET!!

YNWA

Opened beginning of June.

AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #25529: Jun 20, 2016 03:51:41 pm

You might want to re-exam which league you follow.

When does the transfer window open?

That would be 1 July, 2016 and here is a selection of some of the craziest rumours which have been doing the rounds.

When does it close?
      31 August, 2016 is deadline day.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/when-does-summer-transfer-window-open-all-you-need-know-here-160517196213#HU7kRU7sZ1rIU0qD.99

Like every year the summer window officially opens on July 1, but players, agents and clubs will be discussing contract terms and final fees long before then.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/summer-transfer-window-open-you-7293558

Quick Reply