Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4283386 times
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,626 posts | 761 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #29854: Jun 02, 2017 04:29:24 pm
      WoW you really aren't ever going to let this "Brendan Rodgers was wronged" thing go are you? ;-)

Lets be honest tho, he was pretty 'wronged'
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #29855: Jun 02, 2017 04:53:10 pm
      Lets be honest tho, he was pretty 'wronged'

Or

Let's be honest, he was pretty wrong (most of the time). ;)
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #29856: Jun 02, 2017 05:24:59 pm
      I hope the links to Keita Balde Diao are just rumors. He has been very very inconsistent, has got bad attitude issues and moreover, another player we could lose during the AFCON.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #29857: Jun 02, 2017 08:45:02 pm
      I don't think Jürgen will play primarily with a striker next season.

Well, then I guess we can look forward to more of our recent success.

If we come out the end of the window without signing a top striker (or even just even a very good striker) ... well, goddammit, I'm going to be very VERY annoyed !!   Take note Jürgen.

And yo, FSG - we need some new offensive linemen please !!! 
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #29858: Jun 02, 2017 09:12:33 pm
      Well, then I guess we can look forward to more of our recent success

If we come out the end of the window without signing a top striker (or even just even a very good striker) ... well, goddammit, I'm going to be very VERY annoyed !!   Take note Jürgen.

78 goals scored...7 less than Chelsea.....we ended up 4th not because of lack of goals.

Pretty sure Jürgen is not sweating your angst.

alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #29859: Jun 02, 2017 10:35:18 pm
      Salah to begin our transfer is not bad. I don't fancy big money deals.

We still need a striker IMO or another a good versatile Attacking midfielder.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #29860: Jun 03, 2017 09:35:41 am
      If he's as good as everyone reckons (not me as I've never seen him play) we must surely be able to out bid Dortmund tho? We might even be able to pay more wages, AND we've got a manager, AND we haven't just sold our best player (well not yet anyway).

Not for the first time with us over the last few seasons, I'm completely confused.

The deal with Dortmund was agreed months ago Mick. Dortmund having a manager or not at the moment is immaterial. Dortmund possibly selling their best player is immaterial. Having watched Dahoud play regularly I just can't shake the feeling that he's a player who is very good for his age rather than a player who is simply very good. As ineffective as the transfer policy may seem I'm okay with us not getting this particular player now.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #29861: Jun 03, 2017 09:49:39 am

Why don't you fancy big money deals?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #29862: Jun 03, 2017 09:56:49 am
      I thought the whole point of us not paying a big fee for him last Summer was so we could get him cheap now?
      To be fair to you; that's exactly what some experts told us, by way of an excuse, when we couldn't lure him away, big fella.

We didn't buy that [cheaper in the summer]  sh*t then and we don't buy it now. Is it possible that Dahoud was bait to keep some fans believing that we actually tried? Possibly.

Truth is; he is a player we could have got then and now if we tried but listen... think positive - maybe this really is an indication that we are now shopping for a higher quality of player.  😁

Although that in itself makes you wonder...

If we really were in for him - did Jürgen believe he was only good enough to be a stop gap til this summer?

I mean; what if we had signed him then: would we now be 'stuck' with a player who is already deemed not good enough? 😉

I guess the obvious logic of that doesn't actually bare thinking about and that's why most on here don't. 😯

« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2017 01:12:53 pm by bad boy bubby »
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 970 
      Reply #29863: Jun 03, 2017 01:26:00 pm
      To be fair to you; that's exactly what some experts told us, by way of an excuse, when we couldn't lure him away, big fella.

We didn't buy that [cheaper in the summer]  sh*t then and we don't buy it now. Is it possible that Dahoud was bait to keep some fans believing that we actually tried? Possibly.

Truth is; he is a player we could have got then and now if we tried but listen... think positive - maybe this really is an indication that we are now shopping for a higher quality of player.  😁

Although that in itself makes you wonder...

If we really were in for him - did Jürgen believe he was only good enough to be a stop gap til this summer?

I mean; what if we had signed him then: would we now be 'stuck' with a player who is already deemed not good enough? 😉

I guess the obvious logic of that doesn't actually bare thinking about and that's why most on here don't. 😯

You're right mate -- there are elements of the Dahoud debacle that look bad when spun a certain way.  However, I think there are other ways of looking at it that make sense and don't look bad.  For example, isn't it possible that Dahoud was a long term target that Jürgen was interested in, but wasn't prepared to spend 30M on?  After all, he was just a kid coming off the back of 1 really good season.  Is it possible that Jürgen wanted to monitor him for another season to see if he was really worth buying?  I don't follow much Bundesliga, but my understanding is that he had a fairly underwhelming campaign this year.  Maybe Jürgen was right to pump the brakes and not throw 30M at a transfer just to get bodies in the door....
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #29864: Jun 03, 2017 02:36:09 pm

It'll be close to £40m. Is that not a big deal?

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #29865: Jun 03, 2017 02:53:54 pm
      So you know we agreed a wage deal with VVD and now have reneged on the wage deal? And that we did that to Saleh as well a few years ago?
      Is that really what you thought you read? 😁

I didn't even mention Salah ffs. 😄

What I actually said - although folk will believe what suits them ["and vice versa" being the clue 😉]... the story was "entirely plausable".

I find it weird that you think its not. 🙄

« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2017 03:29:15 pm by bad boy bubby »
      Easypeaseey1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #29866: Jun 03, 2017 03:08:09 pm
      It'll be close to £40m. Is that not a big deal?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #29867: Jun 03, 2017 03:16:39 pm
      Is that really what you thought you read or are you just making sh*t up (not the best way to strengthen your argument btw)? 😁

I said the story was "entirely plausable"... I find it weird that you think its not. 🙄

I'm sorry as I don't mean to put words in your mouth. You are one of the most intelligent and passionate posters on here and I respect your love for the club.

"Plausible" juxtaposed with "willfully disingenuous" is where it broke down for me. My issue is not with your skepticism or distrust of FSG, I get that. It's with the article stating in very authoritative terms that "this" (agreeing to contract terms and then reneging on said deal) is what happened. Particularly when he doesn't attribute that "knowledge.

To me, FSG's failing points pre-Klopp were too much weight put on analytics, too much group-think (TC, especially when it includes essentially non-football people) and as a result of these first two points, poor decision-making about when and how much to spend. I should add to this any entertained notion to us being a "selling" club. It' one thing if a Suarez or Torres are absolutely determined to leave, but this is a club that shouldn't be in the business of flipping players. We should be a destination club. You can invest in very young players and see who develops and who doesn't, but our first goal with any purchase should be that they will help the first team win trophies, now or later.

But I do think they have learned some lessons, slowly perhaps, and with the hiring of Klopp there is a different approach to transfers. That doesn't mean there are unlimited resources because, hey, there just aren't. So there may be instances where we want them to spend more money to get a player and they choose not to, and football fans everywhere will have that dialogue with their clubs over "should have/shouldn't have" when it comes to transfers.

But the systemic issues of player recruitment, I believe, have been corrected with Klopp's hiring. The idea of agreeing a wage deal and then trying to change it - that would be a character or an ethical issue - certainly it would be unprofessional. I don't think Klopp would abide it and I don't think Brendan Rodgers would have either, and I have not seen anyone saying they have done this, other than journos without sourcing or only sourcing agents.

You can still choose to not like FSG without believing every negative thing, especially unsourced, that is written on them.

But to reiterate, it's the faith in what that particular journo wrote in the article that I take issue with. With all respect.
      Easypeaseey1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #29868: Jun 03, 2017 03:18:53 pm
      Well, then I guess we can look forward to more of our recent success.

don't think we need a "proper" center forward as goals scored was not an issue most games last season, what we do require is more and varied options from the bench. I have no problems paying decent money to enhance this 40m  salah - 20m ox, these are the sort of players required and lets be honest accessible within our costing/wage bracket
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #29869: Jun 03, 2017 03:24:27 pm
      Edit: Well I responded to what you wrote at first. You went a little nuclear with your edit there. I'd prefer to keep it respectful. I've tried to clarify what I'm disagreeing with, and no, I may not have stated it well the first time, but not trying to make anything up. Re Saleh, again, I'm referring to the article.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #29870: Jun 03, 2017 03:25:48 pm
      Plausible" juxtaposed with "willfully disingenuous" is where it broke down for me.
      "Only folk new to FSG's LFC" was juxtaposed with "or wilfully disingenuous" Robby. 😉

Edit: putting words I to my mouth got my back up... I'll redo my response.

« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2017 03:30:54 pm by bad boy bubby »
      Arlen Correa
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 125 posts | 37 
      Reply #29871: Jun 03, 2017 04:30:58 pm
      Well, with the CL i frankly thought that Liverpool would be speding high in this window.

But reading the names of players people are talking here; let me tell you guys something:
      - when Luan was linked with Liverpool i said it was a bad idea because he's problematic off the pitch; but none of those players linked with Liverpool can tie his boots, are you kidding me? Salah?? OX??

Look, the only problem with Luan is that he needs to be bothered with the game in order to play well.
      Pretty sure Klopp can fix it.

EXAMPLE: in the weaker competition of the year, the State league, he scored only 03 in 12 games.
      But in the hardest competition in South America, the Libertadores, he scored 05 in 05 games so far..
      Its the same thing at any major game, or in the Olimpic nt where he was clearly the best.

Playing Luan as a 10 we'll have another permanent threat in long ranges, and his link up play is amazing.
      https://youtu.be/XZbmRh16Qtc

Because of all the talk about his behavior, he tend to be cheap, probably half the price tag of someone like Salah.
      Just to clarify Luan is not a winger.

In the last game(that video above), the nt coach Tite was in the Maracana warching, and there's a lot of pressure in the media to call Luan to the NT, evem former players like Tostao saying that he's the best player in South America.
      He's not Balotelli level of craziness and is better than those guys linked with Liverpool, united, etc.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #29872: Jun 03, 2017 07:20:05 pm
      Not that at all Heimy. It's one of the reasons I'm 1000% behind Jürgen and love the man, despite me feeling sorry fir him having to deal with these f****** clowns. I reckon if we just said to the boss "look, we can't compete with the big spenders but here's 60 mill total, spend it on who YOU want" he'd have a bloody good go. But instead of that, we stick our nose in in terms of "technical analysis" and all that sh!t, AND f*** up the eventual transfers.

Hopefully, the boss is as super smart as I hope he is and has his REAL option at about number six on the list. When they've f***** up the first five, they won't protest when he goes "I'll have a go at this one of you like".

We keep blaming the wrong people.

Fair point
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #29873: Jun 03, 2017 07:48:46 pm

78 goals scored...7 less than Chelsea.....we ended up 4th not because of lack of goals.

Pretty sure Jürgen is not sweating your angst.

Right, we just scraped fourth, and did absolutely nothing in any other competition/cup.

Not saying we didn't make progress, but if we want to win something worth winning we have a ways to go.

Whacking teams 4, 5 and 6 is great for the GD, but in those games where we are poor, and we need someone to pull something out of the bag, THAT is when a real striker can dig you out of a spot.  Or turn a draw into a win. A loss to a draw.

We coughed up points too though due to Karius not being dropped quickly enough, and defense not being great, and we could do with some signings there too.

If you're fine with how we placed this year, fine.  I'd like to win stuff.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #29874: Jun 03, 2017 07:57:41 pm
      Right, we just scraped fourth, and did absolutely nothing in any other competition/cup.

That's not really fair mate, sure a semi-final is nothing to cheer about but it's still decent progress in a cup. Sure the underestimating of Wolves was a mistake in the F.A. Cup that I hope isn't repeated but we were all under no illusions that getting back in the CL was the number 1 priority and we achieved that.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #29875: Jun 03, 2017 08:34:27 pm
      That's not really fair mate, sure a semi-final is nothing to cheer about but it's still decent progress in a cup. Sure the underestimating of Wolves was a mistake in the F.A. Cup that I hope isn't repeated but we were all under no illusions that getting back in the CL was the number 1 priority and we achieved that.

Pfffff Call that an achievement, even Rodgers got us CL football 😁😉
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #29876: Jun 03, 2017 08:58:46 pm

Out of everything (apart from top4 race) in January, think that rocked most people supporting the club back.  The progress we made was in the league, and imo that SHOULD be the priority, bigger points total and managed to get 4th, am not saying I don't think that is progess. It IS imo. But we've a long way still to go, but the context was we were out of everything else, while other sides where juggling competitions.

Am not kidding myself, we want to even challenge for a title, we've work to do. We all look at it differently, and regardless of how many goals we scored, looking at the season overall, I think a real quality out-and-out striker would make a big difference to us.  We looked a better side with Studge up top, a guy who knows where the goal is. We will create a lot of chances for someone like that (ideally someone better, and who plays regularly) EVEN with the players we already have. Stick in Aguero up top, we would be a different prospect. Not saying we'd get 'him', but if we'd had someone like that up there, even this season, reckon we would have finished further up the table. Which is why I'd prioritise signing a real striker, over another midfielder who scores goals.

Stenghten where we are weaker. Look at GK this season - we needed to improve from LAST season, we didn't, and Karius cost us a fair number of points before being dropped for Mignolet (btw, plenty on here were jumping up and down for people calling for him to be dropped?!, then Klopp did), who most would prefer not to have started the season with. Just an example. Thought Migs actually finished the season well.

Studge's bodys not up to it. Origi is a top sides 3rd choice. Ings I think should be sold. Firmino is not a striker.
      Just think we need 'at least' one good one.

Quick Reply