Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4230644 times
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #31050: Jul 15, 2017 09:58:41 am
      I think it comes down to numbers in the squad, number of players in that position, meeting the HG quota for the CL (possibly), facing the fact that our top 3 most expensive signings could cost us about 195m-210m (Van Dijk - 65m-70m, Keita 65-70m, Aubameyang 65-70m), then you've also got the wages on top of that. IF, and that's a huge IF, we were to make a move for him it wouldn't be until later in the window when we manage to offload our deadwood and it could also mean getting rid of somebody like Origi. I don't think we will make an offer for him though.

And what about  a reliable   CB and LB,  will it also cost us a fortune  ?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,459 posts | 3429 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #31051: Jul 15, 2017 10:00:00 am
      Maybe so. but is this a sign that Klopp is not fully in charge of transfers as FSG would have the supporters believe?... Surely (1) Klopp as never heard of the lad  (2) there Left back in Germany and around Europe that Klopp rates  (3) this has to be a Transfer Committee attempted signing...

How do you jump to that conclusion ?
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #31052: Jul 15, 2017 10:00:23 am
      That, reliance on a Sporting Director for transfers and Jürgen's fondness for it, are very well documented - I'm surprised the folk who 'know' Jürgen haven't mentioned it more (than the 'total control' bull) to be honest.  :-\
      Make perfect sense!

It's how we were operating when Brendan was here and the same people are still here doing the same job (identifying players)

The only difference is Jürgen can and will say No. Brendan on the other hand had player forced on him, his CV was such that he was unable to refuse even after nearly winning us the league.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #31053: Jul 15, 2017 10:16:21 am
      Maybe so. but is this a sign that Klopp is not fully in charge of transfers as FSG would have the supporters believe?... Surely (1) Klopp as never heard of the lad  (2) there Left back in Germany and around Europe that Klopp rates  (3) this has to be a Transfer Committee attempted signing...

Yeah, I'm sure a highly paid professional manager who has been in England for two seasons has never heard of a Premier League player. Surely!!!

Jesus Christ, I know some of you don't watch much football apart from Liverpool, but to imply that because Klopp is German then he only knows players from the Bundesliga is quite an ignorant approach, especially given that we played Hull two times a season, so it is part of his job description to know Robertson.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31054: Jul 15, 2017 10:17:41 am
      The only difference is Jürgen can and will say No. Brendan on the other hand had player forced on him

We know none of that for sure and the place is littered with posts insisting that it was Brendan who signed this one and that one (so those folk will obviously disagree) but I get what you're saying.

I tend to believe (rightly or wrongly) that Jürgen is just more willing to trust Edward's [T.C.] judgement and work with what he's given, than Brendan was.
      « Last Edit: Jul 15, 2017 11:27:44 am by bad boy bubby »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,984 posts | 3061 
      Reply #31055: Jul 15, 2017 10:44:46 am
      We know none of that for sure and the place is littered with posts insisting that it was Brendan who signed this one and that one (so those folk will obviously disagree) but I get what you're saying.

I tend to believe (rightly or wrongly) that Jürgen is just more willing to trust Edward's [T.C.] judgement and work with what he's given, than Brendan.

I think there are 2 principal  differences between the previous management regime and this one: -

1) Jürgen and co are 100% confident in what they'll do with what they get from transfers. That is important and a type of confidence that's forged through consistent career delivery.

2) Importantly I also believe there is a healthy tension / respect between FSG and the boss. They both know boundaries - Jürgen hasn't pushed when the he didn't believe there were deals that would improve us that could be done (within whatever structure there is).

It's why I think he's relaxed at the moment - he knows they will back him and this is why he's taken his time till the right prizes are on offer.

I don't think we've been in this position as a club in a very long time. For what it's worth I still think the FSG core model is flawed - but I also think the way that Jürgen is working with it and making it work for him is kinda cool and something that is only possible when you have total self belief.

« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2017 11:20:38 am by Scotia »
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #31056: Jul 15, 2017 11:08:59 am

I tend to believe (rightly or wrongly) that Jürgen is just more willing to trust Edward's [T.C.] judgement and work with what he's given, than Brendan.

My feeling is that last summer Edwards went to Jürgen with players and the boss said no.

I surmise this because we had a negative spend, I believe JH and Co release money (experience would say over £20 million) expecting it to be spent. It's just the player that we're offered were not good enough. They fitted a computer program but they didn't fit with the Jürgen thinking.

I might be wrong but  it's my opinion (for what it's worth  ;D)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31057: Jul 15, 2017 11:42:13 am
      So just I am clear on where we are...

Are we now all agreeing that Brendan, other than a 'Yes' or 'No', (just like Jürgen now), had very little to do with transfers and in fact, 'his' transfers were down to the Transfer Committee?

In short: the people who identified Mane, Salah and Robertson, to Jürgen, brought the same players to Brendan?  :confused-smiley-013:

F**k but this place can get confusing.  :-\  :laugh:
      « Last Edit: Jul 15, 2017 05:24:38 pm by bad boy bubby »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #31058: Jul 15, 2017 11:45:26 am
      So just I can clear on where we are...

Are we now all agreeing that Brendan, other than a 'Yes' or 'No', (just like Jürgen now), had very little to do with transfers and in fact, 'his' transfers were down to the Transfer Committee?

In short: the people who identified Mane, Salah and Robertson, to Jürgen, brought the same players to Brendan?  :confused-smiley-013:

Benteke and Borini probably would not have been signed by Klopp. I don't think it is applicable all the time.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,984 posts | 3061 
      Reply #31059: Jul 15, 2017 11:57:54 am
      So just I can clear on where we are...

Doesn't it just. Spot on though - it's not the scouting that's changed it's that "yon big German" (as my old da would've said) has changed the entry criteria at the door ;)

Me.....I hope to holy f#ck my manager and coaching team aren't clocking up the air-miles.....I want them working with the playing staff we have :)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31060: Jul 15, 2017 11:58:29 am
      I don't think it is applicable all the time.
      Only when it suits; right?  ;D

Spot on though - it's not the scouting that's changed it's that "yon big German" (as my old da would've said) has changed the door policy.
      And... hopefully the end result Scotia because the truth is: the Club [Michael Edwards] have what they believe is a transfer "philosophy" in place which transcends managerial upheaval. That much is well documented.

The latest "philosophy" [so far] hasn't worked of course. FSG/Edwards 'hope' that Jürgen can make it work, that the third manager time's a charm but you know what... if he can't; it's no skin of their sh*te. They can blame him, sack him and get a new manager - whilst keeping the Edwards "philosophy" intact, of course.  ;)

As a fan I hope they've got it right this time. The difference being I won't blame Jürgen if they haven't - just like I didn't blame Brendan or Kenny before him.  :laugh:

« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2017 12:25:38 pm by bad boy bubby »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,984 posts | 3061 
      Reply #31061: Jul 15, 2017 12:26:02 pm
      Only when it suits; right?  ;D
      And... hopefully the end result Scotia because the truth is: the Club [Michael Edwards] have what they believe is a transfer "philosophy" in place which transcends managerial upheaval. That much is well documented.

The "philosophy" [so far] hasn't worked of course. FSG/Edwards 'hope' that Jürgen can make it work, that the third manager time's a charm but you know what... if he can't; it's no skin of their sh*te. They can blame him, sack him and get a new manager - whilst keeping the Edwards "philosophy" intact, of course.  ;)

As a fan I hope they've got it right this time. The difference being I won't blame Jürgen if they haven't - just like I didn't blame Brendan or Kenny before him.  :laugh:

Quite.

I think this window and season will give us the answers we seek BBB.

What I was stumbling inarticulately towards is that I think Jürgen is playing his hand well, damn well and focusing on the "bits" he can influence.....if not control.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31062: Jul 15, 2017 12:30:02 pm
      I think Jürgen is playing his hand well, damn well

Yeah, totally agree...  ;D

Jürgen has and is playing this lovely and subtly exerting the right amount of pressure, at the right time... in my opinion obviously.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,018 posts | 3955 
      Reply #31063: Jul 15, 2017 01:24:13 pm
      As posted previously it could be that FSG have shot themselves in the foot with their appointment of Klopp.
      That proposition could not be better clarified than with the current situation where the manager has selected targets to strengthen the team for the CL and Premiership challenges next season.

A failure by FSG to back their appointment fully and give him the means to do what he is well qualified to achieve, will be the most damning aspect of their lacklustre tenure to date.

That prospect as unimaginable as it is, could materialise if our owners continue to cry poverty and bullshit with false economies.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #31064: Jul 15, 2017 02:51:36 pm
      The scout might of identify Robertson, it's possible Brendan might have mentioned him to someone at the club.

But after a player is spotted there will be a process of different people watching and taking notes and giving their opinion to the Boss/ transfer committee (the relevant people)'. They will then decide if he is good enough and worth making a bid.
      Here is the thing, as Klopp is German, managed in the Bundesliga, where his club played in European competitions is it beyond feasibility to think that Klopp many know of and have seen more suitable players than Robertson...? Just seems to me that here we go again from chasing LB's worth £50-£70m to a cut price option... As for the Scout...  :mad: :mad: :mad:  Don't get me started with them
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #31065: Jul 15, 2017 03:06:54 pm
      How do you jump to that conclusion ?
      Sorry mate just read your post after replying to Eddieo.... Just getting the feeling over the past couple weeks or so that even though we are still linked with VVD and Keita that Salah was our big signing of the summer , and that players link Robertson and Solanke will be bough in on the cheap and touted and a great transfer window by the FSG Spin Machine... The VVD transfer seems to have stalled even though the player still seems keen on LFC, same with Keita, Don't know just have that feeling
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #31066: Jul 15, 2017 03:10:32 pm
      Yeah, I'm sure a highly paid professional manager who has been in England for two seasons has never heard of a Premier League player. Surely!!!

Jesus Christ, I know some of you don't watch much football apart from Liverpool, but to imply that because Klopp is German then he only knows players from the Bundesliga is quite an ignorant approach, especially given that we played Hull two times a season, so it is part of his job description to know Robertson.
      Did not say that Klopp only knows German players, what I was implying was that he must know better players and old more sway with them
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,932 posts | 283 
      Reply #31067: Jul 15, 2017 06:21:30 pm
      Sorry mate just read your post after replying to Eddieo.... Just getting the feeling over the past couple weeks or so that even though we are still linked with VVD and Keita that Salah was our big signing of the summer , and that players link Robertson and Solanke will be bough in on the cheap and touted and a great transfer window by the FSG Spin Machine... The VVD transfer seems to have stalled even though the player still seems keen on LFC, same with Keita, Don't know just have that feeling

You need to chill out mate, there's still over a month and a half to go. I get your apprehension trusting FSG, but let's face it; if they don't blow a sh*t ton of money this summer after 2 profitable net spend transfer windows, they completely loose their credibility across the board.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #31068: Jul 15, 2017 06:24:51 pm
      Did not say that Klopp only knows German players,

Really?

Surely (1) Klopp as never heard of the lad

Again Kloppo must have had bad brats both matches we played against Hull and was on the shi**er during both matches.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #31069: Jul 16, 2017 01:24:31 am
      As posted previously it could be that FSG have shot themselves in the foot with their appointment of Klopp.
      That proposition could not be better clarified than with the current situation where the manager has selected targets to strengthen the team for the CL and Premiership challenges next season.

A failure by FSG to back their appointment fully and give him the means to do what he is well qualified to achieve, will be the most damning aspect of their lacklustre tenure to date.

That prospect as unimaginable as it is, could materialise if our owners continue to cry poverty and bullshit with false economies.

Ah, yes. So much so they gave him a six year deal :roll:

Oh, and he was so frustrated about being handcuffed by the owners that he actually signed!

I mean, seriously, the amount of rhetoric people are spouting makes me worry about their sanity.

The assumption that we need to spend big and spend it all now is ignorant to what Jürgen has preached this whole time - improve on the training pitch.

90% of fans are blinded by their demands for transfers and forget that players will develop from last season to make us better and a couple of new additions will fill the gaps where quality is lacking.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,018 posts | 3955 
      Reply #31070: Jul 16, 2017 02:25:10 am
      Ah, yes. So much so they gave him a six year deal :roll:

Oh, and he was so frustrated about being handcuffed by the owners that he actually signed!

I mean, seriously, the amount of rhetoric people are spouting makes me worry about their sanity.

The assumption that we need to spend big and spend it all now is ignorant to what Jürgen has preached this whole time - improve on the training pitch.

90% of fans are blinded by their demands for transfers and forget that players will develop from last season to make us better and a couple of new additions will fill the gaps where quality is lacking.

None of our rivals in the Prem or CL subscribe to your unbridled optimism  on youth and potential,  strange that.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #31071: Jul 16, 2017 02:30:12 am
      None of our rivals in the Prem or CL subscribe to your unbridled optimism  on youth and potential,  strange that.

What youth?

Are Salah, Coutinho, Lallana, Matip, Firmino, Mane, Wijnaldum etc. youth?

They can't improve?

Jürgen said he believes in training. I don't doubt he actually believes that.
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #31072: Jul 16, 2017 10:31:44 am
      I've never believed for one minute that we would go through this transfer window without bringing in a new striker but I'm starting to wonder now, is Jürgen actually happy with our options up top?

- False 9 Firmino (excellent against the top sides invisible vs the bus parkers
      - Sturridge, occasionally fit, occasionally excellent when he is fit but really not a fit for the Klopp philosophy and a passenger when he doesn't see much of the ball
      - Origi, good for 5 weeks over the Christmas period but regressed, stunk up the joint (he really was terrible) the rest of the season and looked like the player who made it into the Ligue 1 'worst team of the year' squad a couple of seasons ago
      - Danny Ings, two years, two terrible injuries and a questionable pedigree (at this level) even before he got injured
      - Solanki, looked bright in first couple of pre-season games but lots of players do, surely we're not relying on this kid to come in and be the main man?

Nice to see us going after players like Keita and VVD, both quality players who will improve us if it happens but surely a striker should be top of the list? With another 10-12 games to play next season I can't see how we could hope to challenge with our current crop all of whom have question marks over them and not one of them would get near a starting role as striker in any of the other top 4/5 sides IMHO.
      « Last Edit: Jul 16, 2017 04:14:05 pm by Scottbot »

Quick Reply