Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4216612 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #31234: Jul 26, 2017 08:49:19 am
      What is people's buzz about sixth place on here? We shouldn't even consider mentioning 2nd place. First or fcuked.

Mate, if you see the way people carry on about how "pathetic" this window has been, unless we spend £200m we won't be finishing in the top half.

Seems it's the height of certain expectations now, with a tip top squad that doesn't need improving!

Nope, it's your view of the squad and envying other teams.

We actually have a manager who can improve a player. The Manc clubs are pumping money on above average players to save the faces of the frauds they have in charge.

£75m+ on Lukaku? Is he even an improvement on Ibrahimovic?

£80m on two fullbacks in Walker and Danilo who weren't even first choice at their previous club? Another £50m on Mendy? £35m on another keeper who was shaky on their US Tour?

Do any of those sides have players in their team from last season that you're worried will be better this season? Gabriel Jesus and Leroy Sane from City and Pogba from Utd are the only ones i see stepping up on 2016-17.

For me players like Matip, Gini, Emre, Henderson, Coutinho, Mane and Firmino all have the ability to have even better seasons. Half of those had patchy seasons and we still finished fourth.

The only team i'm worried about is Chelsea.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #31235: Jul 26, 2017 09:04:59 am
      Mate, if you see the way people carry on about how "pathetic" this window has been, unless we spend £200m we won't be finishing in the top half.

Jesus did someone say that? Save me looking mate, quote the post and I'm gonna give the silly f***** concerned some abuse myself. Some people, sheesh.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #31236: Jul 26, 2017 09:13:54 am
      We've sold Lucas and Stewart and gained Salah, Solanke and Robertson plus we've promoted TAA and look to have a fully fit Henderson and Sturridge back. The squad is looking good, minus a defensive reinforcement. That's just my view.

I was pessimistic last season given our signings but Jürgen stayed true to his word and used the training pitch. As a result the players stood up and got the results for 2/3 of the season.

If we can land another player or two then lovely but I actually have faith in what we have.

If we start the season with this squad I can't see us winning the league, more likely have to battle for 4th place. Utd, City and Chelsea are making moves to greatly improve their squads.
      We've made a decent signing in Salah, he'll fit right into the team, Solanke looks like he could be good, but he doesn't add to the team immediately, if probably give him the nod over Origi though. Robertson will give Milner competition but he's not the player that will worry to many top attackers.
      Our defence is as it were last season and it's unlikely we'll suddenly find a way of cutting out the silly mistakes that cost us points, without adding a serious player.

We heave no leader in defence, that's where VD could make a big difference, he would also give Matip more confidence.  They could form a Central defence partnership to rival Hyypia and Agger.

Attacking wise we're sound, defensively I'm worried.
      I trust Klopp too get the best out of players, but he's not a miracle worker.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #31237: Jul 26, 2017 09:31:02 am
      If we start the season with this squad I can't see us winning the league, more likely have to battle for 4th place. Utd, City and Chelsea are making moves to greatly improve their squads.
      We've made a decent signing in Salah, he'll fit right into the team, Solanke looks like he could be good, but he doesn't add to the team immediately, if probably give him the nod over Origi though. Robertson will give Milner competition but he's not the player that will worry to many top attackers.
      Our defence is as it were last season and it's unlikely we'll suddenly find a way of cutting out the silly mistakes that cost us points, without adding a serious player.

We heave no leader in defence, that's where VD could make a big difference, he would also give Matip more confidence.  They could form a Central defence partnership to rival Hyypia and Agger.

Attacking wise we're sound, defensively I'm worried.
      I trust Klopp too get the best out of players, but he's not a miracle worker.

Good post mate. Absolutely we will struggle to finish as high as 4th with this squad. We just about limped over the line last season and did so playing a very pragmatic brand of football. Salah does look like a good piece of business, all the more so with some of the ridiculous transfer fees we are now seeing in this market but there's no depth and our bench still looks weak for a team hoping to challenge on 3 or 4 fronts next season. Throw in a few injuries which we inevitably get and we will struggle. No one has a real idea as to how players like Grujic, TAA, Gomez, Woodburn and Klavan will fare if they are relied on regularly in the EPL or Champions League. I suspect we will be in big trouble if they are expected to make too much of a contribution.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #31238: Jul 26, 2017 09:51:20 am
      Just bare in mind we've had a good enough squad all along is the last predictable refuge for those who won't dare criticise (for obvious reasons), our transfer operations now; as it's dawning on them our transfers IN seem to be fizzling out.
      « Last Edit: Jul 26, 2017 10:39:11 am by Beerbelly »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #31239: Jul 26, 2017 09:56:33 am
      People who think we can win the league with our current defence are obviously not monitoring our rivals transfers.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #31240: Jul 26, 2017 09:56:48 am
      It's funny watching the "transfer optimistic" lot get given an inch more rope to strangle themselves with, as it becomes even more increasingly clear that this windows been severely underwhelming..

grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #31241: Jul 26, 2017 09:59:15 am

Nope, it's your view of the squad and envying other teams.

We actually have a manager who can improve a player. The Manc clubs are pumping money on above average players to save the faces of the frauds they have in charge.

£75m+ on Lukaku? Is he even an improvement on Ibrahimovic?

£80m on two fullbacks in Walker and Danilo who weren't even first choice at their previous club? Another £50m on Mendy? £35m on another keeper who was shaky on their US Tour?

Do any of those sides have players in their team from last season that you're worried will be better this season? Gabriel Jesus and Leroy Sane from City and Pogba from Utd are the only ones i see stepping up on 2016-17.

For me players like Matip, Gini, Emre, Henderson, Coutinho, Mane and Firmino all have the ability to have even better seasons. Half of those had patchy seasons and we still finished fourth.

The only team i'm worried about is Chelsea.
      Still waiting for that file of bullshit you claim to have that contains all my posts...

Believe it or not but when the coach says he'll use the training pitch to improve the side some will believe in that method. Especially when he did so with Milner, Gini, Lallana and Firmino to give them new roles and get us in to the top four and have us looking like a title-winning side for 6 months. He also transformed Henderson and Lucas for when they were on the pitch.

I can flip your argument on you and say you're getting in your complaints now to point the finger when we finish 6th and say "I told you so".

You want more transfers. Good for you. I'm content, though.
      This type of reasoning is fallacious for the most part.

Lucas Leiva who the team just sold, started 19 games last season, and 12 in the league. With an increase in games, that is something hat you would have to come in and replace, either through someone coming in via the market, or you promoting someone from the youth ranks. Maybe Joe Gomez and Marko Grujic can replicate that; this is what the optimist would come in and say, but the chase for Keita and Van Dijk shows that there is not as much confidence as some would love to believe is the case.

A Salah type signing was needed, mainly because the team struggled for someone with pace the moment Mane was either injured or in the African Cup of Nations, so he comes in and immediately fills an area of priority in the team. Someone like Solanke? He is worth a punt if people upstairs think that he can become someone special going forward, but he is in an area where the team is not necessarily lacking.

Going to City, they needed to get younger in certain areas, and that is something that they have gone on to do. Zabaleta, Sagna, Clichy and Kolarov were all over 30, and they needed to replace them. They have got Walker (starter at Spurs......started 31 league games last season), Mendy (starter for Monaco) and Danilo who was behind one of the best right backs in the world at Real Madrid in Carvajal.

Sagna and Clichy gave them little in attack, and all four were nowhere near quick enough to help the team when they lost the ball. On paper, this team should be better equipped to play the high line.

They will go into the season having Yaya Toure available, something that they did not have at the start of last year when there was a row between his agent and the manager. They go into next season with Vincent Kompany available, and talk is that they are looking for another CB. In September, they can look forward to Ilkay Gundogan, and IF he stays fit for the better part of the season, they have a world class player that can call upon.

Manchester United? You are talking of Lukaku and comparing him to Ibrahimovic. Ibrahimovic is 35, injured. How could he be of help to United for the better part of this year even if they saw it fit to keep him?

47 games LFC.
      47 game Chelsea.
      53 game Tottenham.
      54 game Manchester City.
      55 game Arsenal.
      64 game Manchester United.

You are looking at 7 games where the team needs to play the first team, and then you are looking at the League cup where one would assume that you would see some first team players alongside some youth. You have four games traveled outside the UK, and the team will get some big team from pot 2 (unless you are lucky to get a team like Porto) and it is a toss up in pot 1 because there are some really strong teams in there, and some weaker.

All those teams up there are used to having European football, and playing strong teams in it, then coming back home and playing some strong teams especially in the FA Cup. In recent seasons, the cups have not been something that the team has taken seriously and today, we have fans coming here talking down what other teams are trying to do in the market. These are teams built to try and win the league as opposed to simply making top 4, especially when one looks at the depth teams like City, United, Arsenal have. Chelsea could get there if they continue adding.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #31242: Jul 26, 2017 10:10:57 am
      Hands up who thought our squad was good enough this time last season?

Who thought we'd be the best team in the league by January?

Who would've seen Lallana turn in to a central midfielder, Milner a left back etc. and see us finish top four even when failing to get a result for two months?

Just because you lot refuse to believe we'll be better without signings doesn't mean I can't think we'll make a step up.

I'd like another CB in but if not then meh. I think we have the best attack in the league and our midfield will be stronger with Hendo back in it. I don't see other teams as stronger apart from Chelsea. sh*t, Spurs haven't even made a signing yet have they?

This cess-pit of negativity beggars belief.

Jesus did someone say that? Save me looking mate, quote the post and I'm gonna give the silly f***** concerned some abuse myself. Some people, sheesh.

Mick, it's funny you weigh in to a debate about a perceived lack of quality when you start topics like "Let's back the lads 100%" and you managed to have faith in an inferior manager with an inferior squad to actually win the title in 2014/15.

Your flip-flopping of sentiment to receive a green box below your posts means i couldn't give an arse what you think.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #31243: Jul 26, 2017 10:11:39 am
      We need a CB(VVD  )  and a prolific  striker who can score  20+ goals in a season.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6391 
      Reply #31244: Jul 26, 2017 11:17:59 am
      There's a difference between naivety and optimism. Even Jürgen thinks our squad needs upgrading, so much so that the manager that doesn't buy ready made talent is wanting to spend £150m on two new players. To sit around and say you are happy with what we've done so far and that's all we need....we'll that's just naive, it has nothing to do with optimism.
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #31245: Jul 26, 2017 11:32:57 am

Who would've seen Lallana turn in to a central midfielder, Milner a left back etc. and see us finish top four even when failing to get a result for two months?

Just because you lot refuse to believe we'll be better without signings doesn't mean I can't think we'll make a step up.

I'd like another CB in but if not then meh. I think we have the best attack in the league and our midfield will be stronger with Hendo back in it. I don't see other teams as stronger apart from Chelsea. Sh*t, Spurs haven't even made a signing yet have they?

This cess-pit of negativity beggars belief.

Mick, it's funny you weigh in to a debate about a perceived lack of quality when you start topics like "Let's back the lads 100%" and you managed to have faith in an inferior manager with an inferior squad to actually win the title in 2014/15.

Your flip-flopping of sentiment to receive a green box below your posts means i couldn't give an arse what you think.
      1) The main reason the team needed to add players was the issue of quality depth. No matter how god the current players get this coming season (a phenomenon that is not isolated to Liverpool), that still does not fix the NEED for more depth. An injury at CB and you are onto Klavan and Joe Gomez. An injury in midfield or two in midfield and you run into problems yet again.

People also forget that the team, the whole of last season struggled when it came to midweek games. Any time Klopp played starters in midweek, the team looked gassed in the weekend. Now imagine playing in Europe 8 times before the busy January fixture period. This is something that had its toll even on teams with Champions League football where they were trying their best to rotate and manage injuries.

2) Chelsea are adding depth, and they have the likes of Remy and Christensen back at the club. Those may become important role players, and they are still open to adding in the market.

City were better in attack last season, they just got better in that department by adding Bernardo Silva, they will get even better when Gundogan returns, and they now have fullbacks that can overlap and get back. You are also unlikely to see Guardiola experimenting as he did with Sagna and Kolarov at CB, something that cost them quite a few goals on set pieces.

Arsenal have just added a striker that bangs in goals, someone that is more clinical than what they have in their team. Going to 3 at the back also had the desired effect because they started conceding fewer goals than they were earlier in the season. This is another team that is not team that is not yet done in the market. Talk is that they will target Lemar to help take the creative load off Ozil and one more before the season starts.

United have just added one of the best young strikers in the league, added another CB, and they are looking at getting a winger and a midfielder. I believe that Pogba will be better, but there is no reason as to why we cannot see better performances form Martial, Mkhitaryan, Rashford, and there is no reason to think that they will be so poor at finishing chances in games they dominate as was the case last season.

Guardiola, Conte and Mourinho will all be in their second season and will be looking to WIN the league. If Arsenal get two more players like they desire, they will be another team looking to be in that equation come late in the season.
      With all this movement, there are fans that believe that a team that barely scraped its way into fourth position, and faced with more games, more travel is essentially good to go because players are coming back and fit. It is almost as if they will stay fit the entire season.

If this is the team come end of the window, I would expect us to finish behind all the above mentioned teams. I would even say that the team might struggle to finish ahead of Spurs. You need a deep squad with the style that Klopp has instilled.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #31246: Jul 26, 2017 11:39:31 am

I'd like another CB in but if not then meh. I think we have the best attack in the league and our midfield will be stronger with Hendo back in it. I don't see other teams as stronger apart from Chelsea. Sh*t, Spurs haven't even made a signing yet have they?

You won't get any complaints from me regards your optimistic outlook, that's your opinion I respect it fully but the at the same time the negative opinions of others also deserve the same respect. You've made good some points regards to last season and about Jürgen doing more with less and it looks very likely he will need to do repeat and the some. I'd personally like to see him doing more with more. Give him the bloody tools to get the job done. I think we're woefully short at the moment, particularly given the height intensity style of football the manager likes to play. Two games every week with this group of players? I can't see it somehow. I've no doubt someone will step up from that group of youngsters and fringe players, maybe even a couple of them but they won't all step up. Added to which we could be trying to do it with either a departed (or if not a very unhappy) Coutinho. Players like Coutinho want to play with the best players. You can't keep players like that long term if you cannot add similar players to your own squad.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #31247: Jul 26, 2017 01:01:00 pm
      There's a difference between naivety and optimism. Even Jürgen thinks our squad needs upgrading, so much so that the manager that doesn't buy ready made talent is wanting to spend £150m on two new players. To sit around and say you are happy with what we've done so far and that's all we need....we'll that's just naive, it has nothing to do with optimism.

I've clearly said i would like another CB to come in.

Theres a difference between criticism and ignorance.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6391 
      Reply #31248: Jul 26, 2017 01:10:55 pm
      I've clearly said i would like another CB to come in.

Theres a difference between criticism and ignorance.

"I'd like another CB in but if not then meh."

Isn't that what you said? So you obviously think we are good enough as it stands now. I respectfully think that's naive thinking.

Did you also think that it was ok that we didn't strengthen last January? Because even Jürgen realized that was naive. 
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #31249: Jul 26, 2017 01:17:36 pm
      "I'd like another CB in but if not then meh."

Isn't that what you said? So you obviously think we are good enough as it stands now. I respectfully think that's naive thinking.

Did you also think that it was ok that we didn't strengthen last January? Because even Jürgen realized that was naive.
      What I think is really naive, if not ignorant as he put it is the thought process that these players other teams are buying are not improving them. I would argue that Walker, Mendy, Bernado Silva, Lacazette, Kolasinac, Lukaku, Morata, Rudiger, Lindelof would all start at Liverpool.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31250: Jul 26, 2017 01:28:52 pm
      What I think is really naive, if not ignorant as he put it is the thought process that these players other teams are buying are not improving them. I would argue that Walker, Mendy, Bernado Silva, Lacazette, Kolasinac, Lukaku, Morata, Rudiger, Lindelof would all start at Liverpool.

And how much would those players have cost us?
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #31251: Jul 26, 2017 01:37:59 pm
      I am not under the illusion that this team can be built within one window seeing the amount of poor buying that has been part of the DNA for the better part of two and a half decades.

The point I was making was that he was so busy trashing what other teams have done this summer when these same players would be a big improvement to what we have.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6391 
      Reply #31252: Jul 26, 2017 01:48:07 pm

Kolasinac was free. Figured FSG would have jumped on him.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31253: Jul 26, 2017 02:32:39 pm
      Kolasinac was free. Figured FSG would have jumped on him.

Which position does he play is it CB or LB?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6391 
      Reply #31254: Jul 26, 2017 02:34:30 pm
      Which position does he play is it CB or LB?

LB
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #31255: Jul 26, 2017 02:48:46 pm
      Does anyone know how much a player will improve a team? teams can spend all they like but it doesn't mean the players bought will improve them, Look at City as an example, 50m on Stones 50m on Sterling, not exactly setting the world alight, you win some you lose some. As Mr Klopp says, "give me 11 players and we will be competitive" they haven't all got to be so called "stars".

Tompkins (and his stats guy) did some excellent analysis on the impact of big money signings, and found that only around a quarter of them make an impact in their first season.

People expect big money signings to make an immediate difference, but most of the time it doesn't work out that way.

Then we have the current fad for playing "the blame game".
      We see it in every match thread, but as every manager will tell you, it's a team game, and while it's easy to point out what look like individual "errors", it's rarely that simple and is usually a cascade of errors.
      It's another reason Klopp is so keen on keeping possession high up the field; it's less likely to lead to a series of errors that costs a goal.

Add to this that often the best fit for the team isn't the most expensive player in a particular position.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #31256: Jul 26, 2017 03:02:08 pm
      Tompkins (and his stats guy) did some excellent analysis on the impact of big money signings, and found that only around a quarter of them make an impact in their first season.

People expect big money signings to make an immediate difference, but most of the time it doesn't work out that way.

Then we have the current fad for playing "the blame game".
      We see it in every match thread, but as every manager will tell you, it's a team game, and while it's easy to point out what look like individual "errors", it's rarely that simple and is usually a cascade of errors.
      It's another reason Klopp is so keen on keeping possession high up the field; it's less likely to lead to a series of errors that costs a goal.

Add to this that often the best fit for the team isn't the most expensive player in a particular position.

I agree with what your saying. We have striker options now. Solanke looks good but he is raw like Origi but doesn't mean he doesn't have the talent to succeed here. I for one would also love to see Ings running at defenders and showing what we bought him for in the first place. These are all options for us if they stay fit. With the big money signings we're after VVD is to improve us in a position we struggled with last season and the season before that. Keita is a plan for Klopp to play 2 holding midfielders I think.

Quick Reply