Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4276893 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #31395: Aug 01, 2017 04:23:03 pm
      "I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football" ~ Tom Werner.

Prove it you F***ing toss pot!!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #31396: Aug 01, 2017 04:25:58 pm
      "I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football" ~ Tom Werner.

We have the resources, and we appear to be willing to spend...but our approach to completing transfers is very odd to say the least.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31397: Aug 01, 2017 04:29:40 pm
      We have the resources, and we appear to be willing to spend...but our approach to completing transfers is very odd to say the least.

Take it up with Klopp, its not the owners fault if the manager is very very selective with his transfers is it, or would you have them force Klopp into buying someone just to placate the fans?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #31398: Aug 01, 2017 04:30:51 pm
      Don't worry it's only May June July August!

Tom Werner reckons we shouldn't worry - ''we have the resources to match anyone''.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31399: Aug 01, 2017 04:34:45 pm
      Tom Werner reckons we shouldn't worry - ''we have the resources to match anyone''.

Doesn't help much if the club won't sell though does it?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #31400: Aug 01, 2017 04:40:58 pm

A perceived will to spend + inability to actually part with the means to spend = loadsa dosh in the bank.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #31401: Aug 01, 2017 04:46:15 pm

Are people still pretending there isn't a pattern of inability to match rhetoric to the reality?

Maybe you are right, maybe we truly are the unluckiest club in the world.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #31402: Aug 01, 2017 04:51:08 pm

Yep.

Continually focusing on one target with no apparent back up should we not persuade the club to sell to us.

Then we seem to act like we didn't need strengthening in that position anyway.
      « Last Edit: Aug 01, 2017 06:47:22 pm by srslfc »
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #31403: Aug 01, 2017 04:58:58 pm
      A perceived will to spend + inability to actually part with the means to spend = loadsa dosh in the bank.
      And rich owners who are able to spend on their main concern BOSTON RED SOCKS. Time we told them were to go
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #31404: Aug 01, 2017 04:59:47 pm

Thats why they pick them
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #31405: Aug 01, 2017 05:06:38 pm
      The window being "good" or "not good" is determined by whether the team performs well enough on the park in the coming season. Do we contend all season for a league title? Do we contend for honors in Europe, the domestic cups? Do we win SOMETHING?

If these things don't happen this season, I'll hold my hand up and say I was wrong, that management got it wrong.

If they do happen - I'll wait to hear it from the doubters.

The rest of this is just all of us passing time and talking about our favorite subject. It doesn't bother me that other supporters have differing viewpoints, and my only hope for being right is that those same supporters not have to worry that their club is being taken in a bad direction by management.

I've probably mentioned this before, but in American motorsports, there is an expression (even a t-shirt) "When the green flag drops, the bullshit stops." I am SO eager for that flag to come down.
      « Last Edit: Aug 01, 2017 05:25:44 pm by Robby The Z »
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,545 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #31406: Aug 01, 2017 05:39:54 pm
      Go buy Salah - ok - club looking to offload Sakho, Moreno, Lucas already gone (and remember the season before £££...)
      Go buy Mane - ok - also made money that transfer window to the tune of £7m
      Go buy Zielinski - Director refuses to sell but club were willing
      Go buy Teixeira - player prefers China
      Go buy Mkhitaryan - player wants ECL (but didn't care when Utd bought him for the Europa League)
      Go buy VVD £60m - club don't want to sell
      Go buy Keita £70m - club don't want to sell
      Go buy Robertson for £8m - no problem

Perhaps we are the unluckiest club in the world when it comes to transfer dealings. Perhaps. Either way, someone somewhere needs to up their game.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31407: Aug 01, 2017 06:11:49 pm
      If these things don't happen this season, I'll hold my hand up and say I was wrong, that management got it wrong.
      Why old chap that's ever so decent of you. 😎

If they do happen - I'll wait to hear it from the doubters.
      What about last season or the six before Robby, are you gonna hold your hands up for them; why don't they count? 🙉🙈🙊

Did the rest of us really have to wait, til now, before being able to form a valid opinion? 😒

There you have it lads... we have the go ahead to 'judge' - FSG's reign only officially starts... wait for it... wait for it... NOW. 😂

« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2017 06:38:45 pm by bad boy bubby »
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,315 posts | 1672 
      Reply #31408: Aug 01, 2017 06:46:16 pm
      I dont really buy Fsg or despise them but not sure all the blame can be laid at their door. The VVD fiasco is solely the committe and Klopps error no one elses
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #31409: Aug 01, 2017 07:16:00 pm
      Why old chap that's ever so decent of you. 😎

What about last season or the six before Robby, are you gonna hold your hands up for them; why don't they count? 🙉🙈🙊

Did the rest of us really have to wait, til now, before being able to form a valid opinion? 😒

There you have it lads... we have the go ahead to 'judge' - FSG's reign only officially starts... wait for it... wait for it... NOW. 😂

Totally unfair. I thought the whole context of this was this transfer window and whether it was good or not. And so whether THIS transfer window is successful (what we were talking about) isn't judged now by every poster's opinion about this buy or that non-buy, it's about how the team does in the coming season (not how it did before). Surely you can see what you say here is ridiculing an argument I have not made. You are one of the best posters on here and I don't expect this from you. I respect your opinions and your passion.

I am arguing for Klopp's work, that's it. I've stated elsewhere the team-building in previous seasons under FSG has not been good enough.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #31410: Aug 01, 2017 07:21:46 pm
      I never thought I'd see the day where keeping a player who nobody had mentioned leaving until a week ago was being counted towards a "successful window". It's utterly bizarre.

I can only assume this is aimed at me and with regards Ward perhaps?

If you actually read the question I was replying to you'd notice it was about squad depth and not how successful this window is. What amuses me in this instance is that you consistently moan about being misquoted/misrepresented and taken out of context, yet you're actually one of the chief protagonists of this behaviour as you demonstrate yet again.

In an attempt to swerve your silliness and tackle the points you think you may have made let's start with Ward. He's returned from a very successful loan spell with Huddersfield, helping them gain promotion to the premier league and been told by Jürgen that he has a chance to compete for the starting position. There can be absolutely no question that is an improvement on Manninger who was the clear 3rd choice and therefore this definitely improves our squad depth in terms of quality on what we had last year, just a simple fact that you're attempting to childishly twist.

Look, the squad wasn't strong enough or deep enough last season and we weren't in Europe or domestic competitions for long either. How on Gods earth is it going to be strong enough now with the signing of four players while letting the same number go, even if two are Salah and VVD?

Firstly, we reached the semi-final of a domestic cup competition, that's a long time to be in one  considering you can only play 1 match more! As for the other, we failed because Jürgen underestimated Wolves, allow him to explain it for you:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38700673

Onto your point about the squad not being strong enough last season. We finished with one of our highest points totals for 20 years and outside of a 2 month spell we were the best team in the league. This was with a squad which you claimed was 'suicidal'. To any sensible person we achieved what would be seen as the obvious next stage in our progression, top 4. (Let's not forget you predicted 6th - 8th) So strong enough is relative, was it strong enough to exceed your expectations, it clearly was, was it strong enough to demonstrate clear progress, it clearly was.

For players such as Woodburn and TAA this kind of experience is invaluable, it's no surprise it's bringing about their rapid progression. The basic principle when building a squad with strength in depth is to replace your starting XI with higher quality players therefore improving your bench at the same time. In this case it appears Trent is doing that from within, so it is hardly a leap for me to say this is an improvement in the position. Although your counter point is strange with regards Milner as we've also brought in someone who will likely replace him and the average age of the squad would lean to the fact that you'll see a greater progression from our squad as it stood than you will regression, that is obvious.

What is all this nonsense? We were fourth in the league last season, one of the teams below us has strengthened massively, the other will. Above us, first and third have shot the lights out.

Who below us has strengthened massively?

As for 1st and 3rd the constant jealous looks at Chelsea and City will continue endlessly if we value matters purely on a financial basis. However, you told us that besides Leicester's freak season that money buys success and that we wouldn't make top 4 due to all these teams out spending us. Yet we finished in top 4 and yet again we're drooling over the buys of City and Chelsea, I'll leave that to you and prefer to get behind Jürgen and the project he's building with us. He closed the gap last year with a negative net spend, I've every confidence he can close the gap again this year.

Of course it's nowhere near a good window as it stands, nor will it be if we keep Coutinho and get VVD. We WILL sign more players, if we don't then 4th again would be a huge achievement.

After finishing 4th this year, only a fool would look at 4th again as a "huge achievement". Jürgen has already set his stall out that he expects to see us challenging for the title this season.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #31411: Aug 01, 2017 07:25:51 pm

Starting Line-up:

Firmino
                 Mane               Salah
                   Coutinho Lallana
                         Henderson
      Robertson  Van Dijk  Matip  TAA
                            Migs

Bench: Karius, Clyne, Lovren, Can, Wijnaldum, Solanke, Sturridge
      Back-up Ward, Milner, Gomez, Klavan, Woodburn, Ings, Origi

That's a strong squad imo, just 1 top quality player from looking exceptional.

That's a good looking line-up Luke, but I struggle to imagine we'll be able to field that whole line-up for more than 15 games this season, knowing our past injury records. Also, I'm not sure TAA and Robertson could be considered as part of an "exceptional" squad. We've barely seen enough of neither of them to make such optimistic evaluation.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31412: Aug 01, 2017 07:54:19 pm

It WON'T happen, we WILL sign more players.

I really hope you're right Mick, but after all the hype, that we have the money, renewed intent, saying months ago that plans were already in train etc etc, the trend is a bit worrying.

OK, so we sign some more players, but I had HIGH expectations for this window. Signings that would put in with a chance of challenging. Bulking up the squad.  It hasn't happened - yet. There's still time, but if something big is in the can, they've kept it very quiet.

The Coutinho thing is my BIGGEST worry. If Neymar goes, they'll pull out the stops. I reckon Cou would slot in very nicely thanks very much over there, and with those players round him, imagine the football. Is he thinking the same way?   Hope he's focused on us. I honestly wouldn't take 120mill for him. UNLESS we have someone better lined up, and who can do the things Cou does, and will come?! He can do things very few players can.

Bit early for "WHAT THE F**k IS GOING ON!!!" ... am trying to keep the old glass half full ...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #31413: Aug 01, 2017 09:24:59 pm
      I really hope you're right Mick, but after all the hype, that we have the money, renewed intent, saying months ago that plans were already in train etc etc, the trend is a bit worrying.

OK, so we sign some more players, but I had HIGH expectations for this window. Signings that would put in with a chance of challenging. Bulking up the squad.  It hasn't happened - yet. There's still time, but if something big is in the can, they've kept it very quiet.

The Coutinho thing is my BIGGEST worry. If Neymar goes, they'll pull out the stops. I reckon Cou would slot in very nicely thanks very much over there, and with those players round him, imagine the football. Is he thinking the same way?   Hope he's focused on us. I honestly wouldn't take 120mill for him. UNLESS we have someone better lined up, and who can do the things Cou does, and will come?! He can do things very few players can.

Bit early for "WHAT THE F**k IS GOING ON!!!" ... am trying to keep the old glass half full ...

Coutinho isn't going anywhere bro. But we should be concerned that we can't seem to sign anymore players. That's worrisome.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #31414: Aug 01, 2017 10:17:18 pm
      https://twitter.com/MirrorFootball/status/892494131028742145

:lmao:

Keita - £70m plus some Olive Oil, this could give FSG some serious ideas.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31415: Aug 01, 2017 10:18:15 pm

Weird how Klopp is less bothered about it than you are.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #31416: Aug 01, 2017 10:30:51 pm
      That's a good looking line-up Luke, but I struggle to imagine we'll be able to field that whole line-up for more than 15 games this season, knowing our past injury records. Also, I'm not sure TAA and Robertson could be considered as part of an "exceptional" squad. We've barely seen enough of neither of them to make such optimistic evaluation.

I take your point mate, but in my opinion all of:

Firmino, Salah, Mane, Coutinho, Lallana, Van Dijk, Matip

Are right up there, or are the best players in their positions, add Keita to that and that's 8 out of the first XI with Trent being another. My opinion of TAA is that he is going to be, by far, the best right back in the league. When people like Kyle Walker go for £50m I'd hand on heart rather have TAA all day long.

So if you put the subs as:

Karius, Clyne, Lovren, Henderson, Can, Solanke, Sturridge

That again is right up there with the best options we've had from the bench in the longest time. Our 3rd string being Ward, Milner, Grujic, Kent, Woodburn, Origi, Ings. That, again, would be our best 3rd string in the longest time, the weakest links of that possibly being Origi and Ings. So while exceptional may be stretching it, I honestly believe we'd be at the strongest I've seen us since Rafa's time.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #31417: Aug 02, 2017 02:14:34 am
      I never thought I'd see the day where keeping a player who nobody had mentioned leaving until a week ago was being counted towards a "successful window". It's utterly bizarre.

Look, the squad wasn't strong enough or deep enough last season and we weren't in Europe or domestic competitions for long either. How on Gods earth is it going to be strong enough now with the signing of four players while letting the same number go, even if two are Salah and VVD?

Why must we endulge in this ridiculous self delusion all the time? "Ward is better than Manninger"? So am I, but I'm not likely to play for Liverpool either. "TAA is a year older/stronger/better"? Well he surely is, but Milner amongst others is a year older/slower/worse too.

What is all this nonsense? We were fourth in the league last season, one of the teams below us has strengthened massively, the other will. Above us, first and third have shot the lights out.

Of course it's nowhere near a good window as it stands, nor will it be if we keep Coutinho and get VVD. We WILL sign more players, if we don't then 4th again would be a huge achievement.

I've been trying to keep a bit quieter than usual on it. Wait and see and that.

Getting close to the new season now and the level of business is nowhere near enough as should be expected.

With what he have got right now I expect us to start very well again (kudos to Jürgen if we do) and then come down with the Christmas decorations again as the quality in depth just isn't there with the inevitable injuries we will have and extra CL games to go with them.

No matter who's fault anybody may think it is I am pretty sure that, unless your an idiot,  you'd agree that this club needs extra personnel to go to the next level.

Or we could be the type of person/owner who is prepared to think or hope that some excellent management might just bail us out.

Nowadays, though, I suppose it depends on what part of the club you're involved in or what side you took in a mad and weird 'owners are boss, owners are weird' type argument when the other two cowboys got jibbed for JWH back in the day.

How long ago was that again please?

But ay, we're back in the Champions League so every f**ker is easy to attract now, aren't they? Or is it all about the money for the players these days?

I'll go with the latter to a point and it's not like we've hardly got any of it.

Money, that is. Well, the club has, definitely. The marketing side of things is running so, so well now apparently.

For f**ks sake, prove me wrong Liverpool, I honestly want you to - I don't give two f**king shits if I have to take everything back that I've ever said about FSG if you do.

Hmm.

Feeling like I've come so many full circles now,  though.

Dejected and wanting to be proven wrong is the summary of me right now.

Big, big month ahead (again).

Quick Reply