Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4264119 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #41676: Jun 09, 2020 06:57:10 pm
      Well they had the transfer ban and got 80m for hazard

True but they did spend a little over half of that Hazard money on Kovacic last summer. Which was a load of bollocks because a transfer ban should have been a ban on signing all players but that clearly wasn’t the case.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,284 posts | 934 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #41677: Jun 09, 2020 07:31:23 pm
      We're now the Poundland of the transfer world.....lovely
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #41678: Jun 09, 2020 07:33:57 pm
      If Chelsea somehow manage to sign both Werner and Havertz this Summer, two players Klopp really likes, and we make no new signings, I'll be seriously pissed off.

Surely we will right? Lallana, Shaqiri and Clyne are all leaving, probably Lovren too. Origi, Minamino and the young lads won't be enough first team cover next season by a long shot.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #41679: Jun 09, 2020 09:17:56 pm
      If Chelsea somehow manage to sign both Werner and Havertz this Summer, two players Klopp really likes, and we make no new signings, I'll be seriously pissed off.

Surely we will right? Lallana, Shaqiri and Clyne are all leaving, probably Lovren too. Origi, Minamino and the young lads won't be enough first team cover next season by a long shot.

Why are you so sure Shaqiri is leaving? If we don’t sign anyone, then I wouldn’t be expecting any departures other than youngsters on loan and the players out of contract.

I don’t think there’s any denying that part of the Shaqiri signing was made on a business perspective; sign him cheap and make 15-20mill profit in him a couple years down the line. If we essentially only value Werner at around 30mill now, then we can’t expect to sell Shaqiri at a profit and the narrative all along regarding any talk about his future was dependent on us receiving a substantial fee, which simply won’t happen this year unless the Newcastle takeover happens.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #41680: Jun 09, 2020 09:44:19 pm
      I don't understand all the negativity on here.... 

The current season (which we're going to win by a landslide) isn't even over.

The current squad has the most quality and depth top to bottom that I've ever seen in over 20 years of supporting LFC.  We also have several exciting young players who I think are capable of making the step up:  Brewster, Elliot, Jones, Hoever, Wilson, Grujic -- any of these players should be able to compete as full squad members.

Our manager and scouting dept have shown an incredible ability to pull off "surprise" transfers in recent seasons where no journos have any idea what's going on until the deal is practically done.  They've also proven to be quite good at getting top value for outgoing players and negotiating good deals for new incoming players.

There are going to be many teams who have to sell off players this summer to balance the books.  Considering our ability to spot a good bargain buy, why not wait and see what sort of magic Klopp and Edward's can pull off?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #41681: Jun 09, 2020 11:15:46 pm

Just a touch dramatic is it not?

Literally no one has completed a transfer yet as far as I'm aware so no one really knows what the window will look like and who is in a position to spend money.

I'd guess that the position we seem to be taking will be more normal than it appears right now.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #41682: Jun 09, 2020 11:31:42 pm
      Different transfer window, same old whinging shitbags.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #41683: Jun 09, 2020 11:48:38 pm

So not only are we the current European champions & Soon to be Premier league Champions but also the Poundland of transfers...

Another trophy for the wall of champions..

Knee jerk much..? Has any club actually signed anyone other than paper talk..?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #41684: Jun 10, 2020 11:29:57 am
      Why are you so sure Shaqiri is leaving? If we don’t sign anyone, then I wouldn’t be expecting any departures other than youngsters on loan and the players out of contract.

I don’t think there’s any denying that part of the Shaqiri signing was made on a business perspective; sign him cheap and make 15-20mill profit in him a couple years down the line. If we essentially only value Werner at around 30mill now, then we can’t expect to sell Shaqiri at a profit and the narrative all along regarding any talk about his future was dependent on us receiving a substantial fee, which simply won’t happen this year unless the Newcastle takeover happens.

Not certain but I think its highly likely we're going to sell Shaqiri this Summer because a) he's a always injured so basically useless to us and b) we'll make a tidy profit which FSG will love.

Even if we sell Shaq for around what we paid it's better to let him go and be injured all the time at another club to save on wages.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #41685: Jun 10, 2020 12:19:54 pm
      Not certain but I think its highly likely we're going to sell Shaqiri this Summer because a) he's a always injured so basically useless to us and b) we'll make a tidy profit which FSG will love.

Even if we sell Shaq for around what we paid it's better to let him go and be injured all the time at another club to save on wages.

Surely that logic means Keita will be off too then?

Last season Shaqiri was contributing and I’m confident he would have done this season too if it wasn’t for the injury.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #41686: Jun 10, 2020 12:25:53 pm
      Surely that logic means Keita will be off too then?

Last season Shaqiri was contributing and I’m confident he would have done this season too if it wasn’t for the injury.

Shaq has only played half the time Naby has this season mate that tells you how much of a crock he is. I still think Naby will be a big player for us which I can't see from Shaqiri. Shaqiri is a squad player who is never available when we need him.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #41687: Jun 10, 2020 01:15:10 pm
      Shaq has only played half the time Naby has this season mate that tells you how much of a crock he is. I still think Naby will be a big player for us which I can't see from Shaqiri. Shaqiri is a squad player who is never available when we need him.

I think it depends on his fitness.
      As far as I know, it was the same issue keeping him out all season.
      I'd be more concerned if it was a succession of different injuries.
      Same goes for Keita. His national team really fu**ed him over as well.

There's also the fact that we probably wouldn't get back what we paid for Shaqiri in the current climate.
      I reckon we keep him, but time will tell.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #41688: Jun 10, 2020 01:36:01 pm
      It will be hard to keep players that aren't happy with a lack of playing time or opportunity, so regardless of what we can recoup for them, if they ultimately throw out their toys or make it known they want to leave, we'll likely oblige them and sell them even if it means we don't make much (if any) on them.

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #41689: Jun 10, 2020 01:42:01 pm
      My only worry is losing Salah and Mane in jan for the ACON. Werner would have solved that problem, but maybe if we wrap the league up in our first couple of games back, well see our younger lads make a break through in the remaining games.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #41690: Jun 10, 2020 05:11:54 pm
      My only worry is losing Salah and Mane in jan for the ACON. Werner would have solved that problem, but maybe if we wrap the league up in our first couple of games back, well see our younger lads make a break through in the remaining games.

It's looking like that tournament is going to be postponed to 2022. So that's a plus, but there is still a concern if you would be unlucky enough to have any long term injuries to any of our front 3 (hopefully never more than one of them).

My biggest gripe is that we didn't buy anyone significant last summer when we weren't dealing with Covid...now Klopp's told he can't buy anyone because of Covid....so where was last summer's transfer budget? We basically have lost that I guess. I get that there's going to be some adjustments to be made to the finances because of Covid....but your players are literally the nourishment of the club. One thing that I would beg borrow or steal to do is put food on my family's table. It's a necessity. To a football club (that wants to be and stay successful), the players on the pitch are the food on the table. They are what nourishes the club, so in my mind, maybe you figure out other places to cut corners or go without to ensure you stay competitive and bring in "nourishment". Maybe a weird analogy but that's the way I would look at it. It is what it is, we are about to win a title and we have an outstanding squad (maybe a little thin in areas) so it could be a whole lot worse.....I'm just greedy I guess and want us to be even better.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #41691: Jun 10, 2020 05:16:04 pm

Think you’re being slightly harsh regarding Shaqiri and maybe ignoring what he’s proven he can do for us. He got assists vs Barca, he got the assist for the Origi goal vs Newcastle, he was the reason we beat the Mancs last season.
      Shaqiri’s injury this season was mainly a torn calf muscle, that’s not a quick and easy recovery. He’s not exactly a crock because this is the first season he’s struggled with injuries. I don’t remember him really being injured much at all last season. Where as Keita was injured every few weeks it seemed. If you are looking for a crock then you could argue that’s what Keita is with the amount of different injuries he gets so easily, or Lallana.

When we needed the two players most last season, it was Shaq who delivered more than Keita did and I don’t remember Keita winning us any games with a goal or assist. Yes Keita has played a few more games than Shaqiri this season (Not double the amount) and he managed a couple more games last season, but Shaqiri has outscored him over that time and has more assists too.

Looking at it that way, Shaqiri looks like he has more to offer going forward than Keita has.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I don’t rate Keita, I also think he can become a big player for us, I was just using him as an example. But I also see no reason for us to get rid of Shaqiri if we don’t sign a replacement. Coming off the bench, he’s probably our biggest threat. Fitness and determination to make a name for themselves will likely be the key for both players.
      « Last Edit: Jun 10, 2020 05:22:55 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #41692: Jun 10, 2020 05:30:56 pm
      It's looking like that tournament is going to be postponed to 2022. So that's a plus, but there is still a concern if you would be unlucky enough to have any long term injuries to any of our front 3 (hopefully never more than one of them).

My biggest gripe is that we didn't buy anyone significant last summer when we weren't dealing with Covid...now Klopp's told he can't buy anyone because of Covid....so where was last summer's transfer budget? We basically have lost that I guess. I get that there's going to be some adjustments to be made to the finances because of Covid....but your players are literally the nourishment of the club. One thing that I would beg borrow or steal to do is put food on my family's table. It's a necessity. To a football club (that wants to be and stay successful), the players on the pitch are the food on the table. They are what nourishes the club, so in my mind, maybe you figure out other places to cut corners or go without to ensure you stay competitive and bring in "nourishment". Maybe a weird analogy but that's the way I would look at it. It is what it is, we are about to win a title and we have an outstanding squad (maybe a little thin in areas) so it could be a whole lot worse.....I'm just greedy I guess and want us to be even better.

Seems to be the case that when we're building a stand the transfer budget is zip. I assume that's the reason we didn't buy lost season. Covid has screwed us this summer it seems.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #41693: Jun 10, 2020 07:17:53 pm
      Think you’re being slightly harsh regarding Shaqiri and maybe ignoring what he’s proven he can do for us. He got assists vs Barca, he got the assist for the Origi goal vs Newcastle, he was the reason we beat the Mancs last season.
      Shaqiri’s injury this season was mainly a torn calf muscle, that’s not a quick and easy recovery. He’s not exactly a crock because this is the first season he’s struggled with injuries. I don’t remember him really being injured much at all last season. Where as Keita was injured every few weeks it seemed. If you are looking for a crock then you could argue that’s what Keita is with the amount of different injuries he gets so easily, or Lallana.

When we needed the two players most last season, it was Shaq who delivered more than Keita did and I don’t remember Keita winning us any games with a goal or assist. Yes Keita has played a few more games than Shaqiri this season (Not double the amount) and he managed a couple more games last season, but Shaqiri has outscored him over that time and has more assists too.

Looking at it that way, Shaqiri looks like he has more to offer going forward than Keita has.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I don’t rate Keita, I also think he can become a big player for us, I was just using him as an example. But I also see no reason for us to get rid of Shaqiri if we don’t sign a replacement. Coming off the bench, he’s probably our biggest threat. Fitness and determination to make a name for themselves will likely be the key for both players.

I rate Shaqiri, he's a very good squad option when he's fit. But I'd rather we cash in on him now when while he has some value and sign a younger talented player to mitigate the risk of another injury riddled season out of the squad.

Keita is still relatively young and has a very high ceiling so I would give him another season to prove his worth.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #41694: Jun 10, 2020 07:53:31 pm
      I rate Shaqiri, he's a very good squad option when he's fit. But I'd rather we cash in on him now when while he has some value and sign a younger talented player to mitigate the risk of another injury riddled season out of the squad.

Keita is still relatively young and has a very high ceiling so I would give him another season to prove his worth.

Sign who in his place though? What youngster has proved enough to be able to replace him that we can afford?

He’s only had the one season with injuries mate, you make it sound as if this is a common occurrence with him. Many players have a season like him with an injury.

I’m not against selling Shaqiri if we can replace him adequately, because if he’s fit, he’s our biggest threat to come into the team and change a game and we don’t have a lot of that as an option outside the regulars, which is why I think we should keep him if we can’t replicate that.

Keita needs another season definitely. Though if he has a 3rd season like his first two, although he’s shown very good glimpses of his ability at times, it will get to a point where Klopp has to re-evaluate whether we can justify keeping him when there are more reliable options out there. Pretty much make or break for Keita next season IMO.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,267 posts | 282 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #41695: Jun 10, 2020 08:02:34 pm
      I personally don’t think we need anyone, even though I would have liked Werner as he’s a good player. We’re so far ahead of every other club that the likes of Chelsea have to spend a sh*t load of money. Lovely place to be in.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #41696: Jun 10, 2020 09:05:05 pm
      Sign who in his place though? What youngster has proved enough to be able to replace him that we can afford?

He’s only had the one season with injuries mate, you make it sound as if this is a common occurrence with him. Many players have a season like him with an injury.

I’m not against selling Shaqiri if we can replace him adequately, because if he’s fit, he’s our biggest threat to come into the team and change a game and we don’t have a lot of that as an option outside the regulars, which is why I think we should keep him if we can’t replicate that.

Keita needs another season definitely. Though if he has a 3rd season like his first two, although he’s shown very good glimpses of his ability at times, it will get to a point where Klopp has to re-evaluate whether we can justify keeping him when there are more reliable options out there. Pretty much make or break for Keita next season IMO.

Think Keita's biggest impact is that it's made Hendo the player he is. Jordan had to up his game to keep his spot safe from Keita and he's done that on more than one occasion. But see that's the benefit of having quality depth...it forces the starters to make sure they aren't slacking or falling back.....that's why Werner would have been such a good addition. Competition raises everyone's game. 
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,758 posts | 863 
      Reply #41697: Jun 11, 2020 12:08:31 am
      This situation is very frustrating especially when we consider we have not spent anything last summer.

However, I understand the situation and think we should not be out there whining because this is simply the reality the club has been put in by this virus crisis. There was clear intention to buy Werner but now we don't even know if we are going to be balancing the books or not.

As far as I am aware, Chelsea has not spent a penny other than Pulisic and Kepa in the last two years and have sold Hazard (the guy with the biggest wages at the club) and are about to let go of another two heavyweights in terms of wages (Willian and Pedro).

We also have to remember that clubs like City and Chelsea are bottomless pits of cash because their owners do not depend on the team's performances in order to generate revenue. The two clubs are backed by owners who make a sh*t ton of money from the petrol sector (City is practically backed by a country).

With all that being said, I would still like us to go for 2 or 3 clever transfers like the ones we have made in the Edwards era. Considering we are keeping the squad intact, another Robbo type acquisition or two plus hopefully Naby, Ox and Takumi all staying healthy and playing like we know they can will be like a jolt of fresh air into this team.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #41698: Jun 11, 2020 12:09:58 am
      As far as I am aware, Chelsea has not spent a penny other than Pulisic and Kepa in the last two years and have sold Hazard (the guy with the biggest wages at the club) and are about to let go of another two heavyweights in terms of wages (Willian and Pedro).

They signed Jorginho for around 50mill the same window as when they signed Kepa for 70mill, which was followed by a mid season arrival of Higuain for a substantial loan fee.
      They also signed Kovacic with a little over half of the Hazard money last summer.
      They’ve got Ziyech arriving for 38mill.

Then when you throw in the 55mill or whatever it was they paid for Pulisic, they’ve certainly been throwing the money around. Their income is surely considerably less than ours so I’m not sure how they are going to keep spending whilst taking a big hit to their income. Unless FFP is just to be ignored from now on...
      « Last Edit: Jun 11, 2020 12:20:53 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »

Quick Reply