Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4216157 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6390 
      Re: General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #45218: Jul 15, 2021 02:06:16 pm
      James Pearce has basically come out and said we are looking to add players but we have to offload first. 

[Pearce] There was always an acceptance that with the Euros and the impact of Covid that a lot of business was likely to happen later in this window. Challenge of generating £££ by shifting fringe stars continues.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #45219: Jul 15, 2021 04:14:00 pm
      James Pearce has basically come out and said we are looking to add players but we have to offload first. 

[Pearce] There was always an acceptance that with the Euros and the impact of Covid that a lot of business was likely to happen later in this window. Challenge of generating £££ by shifting fringe stars continues.

So he's basically come out with an assumption that any one of us could make, and most people have made.

:roll:
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #45220: Jul 15, 2021 04:16:34 pm
      So he's basically come out with an assumption that any one of us could make, and most people have made.

Slow time of year. They need something to put out there for people to click on regardless of quality of content.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6390 
      Reply #45221: Jul 15, 2021 04:39:17 pm

No, he's basically validating what most (sane) people have been saying...we have to sell to buy.

He's a mouthpiece for the club...he reports what they feed him so there it is.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6390 
      Reply #45222: Jul 15, 2021 04:40:47 pm
      Slow time of year. They need something to put out there for people to click on regardless of quality of content.

People don't "click" on tweets :D He writes for the Athletic so his tweets aren't pushing any revenue to the site.

If he wanted to put out clickbait, he'd say we were in for Mbappe or Haaland and then put a link to a story that people had to subscribe to read.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #45223: Jul 15, 2021 04:43:24 pm
      We should be though.

The issue is reliability and that as much as anything is what we'll lose from Gini.

Chamberlain and Keita are huge gambles to rely on and even Hendo and Fabinho have injury concerns as well.

Personally I think we need a midfielder and a forward this summer.

I'd be looking to give more time to Elliot and Jones, which means any midfielder and/or striker, would be 2nd tier.
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #45224: Jul 15, 2021 05:00:54 pm
      No, he's basically validating what most (sane) people have been saying...we have to sell to buy.

He must be anti fsg 🤣
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #45225: Jul 15, 2021 06:57:11 pm
      I'd be looking to give more time to Elliot and Jones, which means any midfielder and/or striker, would be 2nd tier.

I would prefer Jones be given ample opportunity to play (ie. 4th choice after our starting 3 of Fab/Hendo/Thiago) and Elliott to be the 5th/6th option with Origi and play Cup games for us. However, the netspenders always want an expensive player whenever a possible spot on the squad becomes available.
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #45226: Jul 15, 2021 07:01:58 pm

We added Thiago and Jota to the main squad last summer and no one from it was sold. This year so far we have added to Konate and no one was sold. Just cheap narrative.

However, eventually players have to be sold because you cannot just keep growing the squad forever. It just makes no sense to carry a bloated squad.....except in FIFA/PES/FM of course.

In the past 3 years we have spent within 50M of Chelsea, which no one accuses of "sell to buy", and of that almost 50M they have spent more than us over that time period, 72M was Kepa.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,246 posts | 8577 
      Reply #45227: Jul 15, 2021 07:04:39 pm

Considering he worked at the Echo, I'd imagine he'd have more contacts at the club than any of us.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,246 posts | 8577 
      Reply #45228: Jul 15, 2021 07:06:26 pm
      If he wanted to put out clickbait, he'd say we were in for Mbappe or Haaland and then put a link to a story that people had to subscribe to read.

Like one I read last night taken from an interview in the Spanish press where Sergio Ramos is claiming M'bappe is headed to us rather than Madrid!!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6390 
      Reply #45229: Jul 15, 2021 07:40:54 pm
      We added Thiago and Jota to the main squad last summer and no one from it was sold. This year so far we have added to Konate and no one was sold. Just cheap narrative.

However, eventually players have to be sold because you cannot just keep growing the squad forever. It just makes no sense to carry a bloated squad.....except in FIFA/PES/FM of course.

In the past 3 years we have spent within 50M of Chelsea, which no one accuses of "sell to buy", and of that almost 50M they have spent more than us over that time period, 72M was Kepa.

I'm not going to argue it with you, you can choose to ignore what's right in front of your face and what has been basically shown over the last several years in that overall, we have to make sales to fund big transfers. You are going to believe what you want no matter what anyone says so have at it.
      harrydunn08

• 5,923 posts | 964 
      Reply #45230: Jul 15, 2021 10:03:05 pm
      I'm not going to argue it with you, you can choose to ignore what's right in front of your face and what has been basically shown over the last several years in that overall, we have to make sales to fund big transfers. You are going to believe what you want no matter what anyone says so have at it.

Really though, who cares?  If we have to sell to buy, does it matter as long as we are able to do the business we need to be competitive?  Our sell to buy approach has allowed us to buy the likes of VVD, Alisson, Fab, Gini, Robbo, Konate, Thiago, Salah, Mane, Jota, etc.  I think the business people have proven this approach can be successful, and Klopp has proven that he can take what he's given and build a successful side with it.  So does it really matter that we can't (or won't) spend frivolously like some of the other sides in Europe?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6390 
      Reply #45231: Jul 15, 2021 11:09:38 pm
      Really though, who cares?  If we have to sell to buy, does it matter as long as we are able to do the business we need to be competitive?  Our sell to buy approach has allowed us to buy the likes of VVD, Alisson, Fab, Gini, Robbo, Konate, Thiago, Salah, Mane, Jota, etc.  I think the business people have proven this approach can be successful, and Klopp has proven that he can take what he's given and build a successful side with it.  So does it really matter that we can't (or won't) spend frivolously like some of the other sides in Europe?

I had not made the argument that it matters, I had made the argument that we aren't spending because we haven't sold.

Now there is an argument to be made that sell to buy hamstrings us a bit. So far not a lot of teams have made moves so maybe we won't have any issues, but I do believe Klopp has always said he likes his signings early so they can integrate into the team and that's certainly not going to happen. Also, if we do have to sell to buy, we better get selling soon or we won't be doing any buying.
      harrydunn08

• 5,923 posts | 964 
      Reply #45232: Jul 16, 2021 02:01:52 am
      I had not made the argument that it matters, I had made the argument that we aren't spending because we haven't sold.

Now there is an argument to be made that sell to buy hamstrings us a bit. So far not a lot of teams have made moves so maybe we won't have any issues, but I do believe Klopp has always said he likes his signings early so they can integrate into the team and that's certainly not going to happen. Also, if we do have to sell to buy, we better get selling soon or we won't be doing any buying.

I get it, but it's kind of a game of who blinks first.  If we "speculate to accumulate" and go out and buy 3 new players, then other teams will know that we need to sell to balance the books and we will lose negotiating power for outgoing players.  It's about finding the right balance and timing our in/out business in such a way that allows us to stretch our budget as far as possible. 
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #45233: Jul 16, 2021 04:53:53 am
      We ain't getting no one are we?

Konate and that's it!
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #45234: Jul 16, 2021 05:15:58 am
      We ain't getting no one are we?

Konate and that's it!

I doubt it. The club is in good hands and I'm sure there will be a good surprise signing. We get another Jota, I'm happy.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #45235: Jul 16, 2021 06:43:23 am
      I doubt it. The club is in good hands and I'm sure there will be a good surprise signing. We get another Jota, I'm happy.

Hope you're right mate.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,441 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #45236: Jul 16, 2021 11:14:48 am
      Patience, my children,  good things come to those who wait.
      Ryreb
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 119 posts | 24 
      Reply #45237: Jul 16, 2021 03:34:03 pm
      Could someone with more knowledge help me understand something in regards to Kabak.  If what was written is true and he was offered to us for a cut rate,  why not take it even if we  do not need him.   8.5m is a steal for a CB his age and shown enough quality to make one think he will only improve.  Pay the 8.5 then loan him out.  In the next year or two when clubs are hopefully  able to recover from the covid hardships,  sale him at a nice profit since he will still only be around 23 year old .  And loan him with an option to recall in January god forbid we get hit with another outbreak of injuries.   
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,976 posts | 3059 
      Reply #45238: Jul 16, 2021 03:40:32 pm

Safe hands. Yes.

Good hands. Meh. They're carpet baggers.

More will come in but let's not pretend for a minute that there is a secret masterplan. There's not. There's a massive amount of wheeling / dealing being done because this club is all about profit to owners.

Trophies and triumphs to them are like Mitchelin stars to a pub.......nice but only cos they put a premium on what can be  charged....
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #45239: Jul 16, 2021 03:41:26 pm
      Could someone with more knowledge help me understand something in regards to Kabak.  If what was written is true and he was offered to us for a cut rate,  why not take it even if we  do not need him.   8.5m is a steal for a CB his age and shown enough quality to make one think he will only improve.  Pay the 8.5 then loan him out.  In the next year or two when clubs are hopefully  able to recover from the covid hardships,  sale him at a nice profit since he will still only be around 23 year old .  And loan him with an option to recall in January god forbid we get hit with another outbreak of injuries.

The only answer I can think of is the club allocate a specific amount each year to the manager. It's usually anything between £30m to £35m.

He can spend until his heart's content but that's what he'll get to spend extra. Anything after that will require player sales.

This leaves little to no room for these buy now and loan out style players. Every penny must be used in the now. That's why there's a big emphasis on buying young. This gives the position less urgency to replace and allows the player to grow here as opposed to being loaned out for an older player who's currently taking up that specific position.
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #45240: Jul 16, 2021 03:45:42 pm

He must have pissed someone off at the club or maybe Jürgen really does not like him. While i like Rhys, i found it strange that Kabak suddenly got dropped and never played in May.

Quick Reply