Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 502071 times
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #1357: Jun 15, 2014 06:02:19 pm

I'd be happy :f_tongueincheek: to put up with his dumb goal celebration if only he'd cut out his step overs, holding up play and his continual running into the inevitable cul-de-sacs. More often than not, when he's in the this kind of selfishness he stops momentum and allows the opposition time to get back.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1358: Jun 15, 2014 06:46:27 pm
      I'd be happy :f_tongueincheek: to put up with his dumb goal celebration if only he'd cut out his step overs, holding up play and his continual running into the inevitable cul-de-sacs. More often than not, when he's in the this kind of selfishness he stops momentum and allows the opposition time to get back.

His recent record in internationals is starting to mirror his record for us. Which is outstanding given the small amount of time he's actually been given in his career as playing a central striker.

Let this lad have an injury free career and he could break records for us. His ability is improving all the time, his technique on his right foot is improving immensely and you clearly see the work he's putting in on that. I'm loving watching his development and the way he's shoving the words down so many doubters faces.

There's plenty left for him to improve upon, his decision making and selfishness can be rightly criticised but when they're also not balanced with the incredible record he has for us then I don't pay much attention to it and I'm sure neither does he.

Under appreciated talent is our Danny and I absolutely love his infectious attitude and can't wait to see him dancing for us again next season.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1359: Jun 15, 2014 07:00:29 pm
      I thought he was excellent last night. Second only to Raheem as England's best player. Troublesome when he was on the ball and unlike Rooney this guy CAN score against top quality opposition. I'm confident Studge's England goal's record will be much more reminiscent of Owen's in his capability of scoring against big teams (Germany, Argentina, France, Brazil, Portugal etc) and not like Rooney's against former Soviet and principality fodder.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #1360: Jul 07, 2014 10:40:45 pm
      Danny is about to become the main man up top for us and I for one am very excited to see that. I think he thrives on confidence and if Brendan lets him know that in the coming season he's going to be top dog then I think he will have a very good season.

Also think that he tended to play better (in an individual sense) without Suarez, so will be interesting to see how he performs.

Come on Danny lad, bang them in and maybe we will be able to think of a song for you!
      MattJL
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #1361: Jul 08, 2014 01:33:00 pm
      I think the lad is more than capable of filling the gap left by Luis - when fit. Far too injury prone for me and that's his only downfall. If he could stay fit all season we'd easily be looking at a 30+ goal striker so fingers crossed for next season ;D
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1362: Jul 11, 2014 03:02:50 pm
      Daniel's reaction to Luis' depature

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,929 posts | 825 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1363: Jul 11, 2014 03:08:01 pm
      Can either go two ways for the lad, he could shine by being put into the spotlight after playing in Luis's shadow, or he could miss his counterpart of the SAS and dropform.

My moneys on the first.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #1364: Jul 11, 2014 04:06:43 pm
      Daniel's reaction to Luis' depature

I should think not. Suarez created a F**k tonne of chances for Danny.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1365: Jul 11, 2014 04:42:17 pm
      I should think not. Suarez created a f**k tonne of chances for Danny.

Danny and Luis weren't a combo - they worked independently of each other. The SAS tag was a smart but false tag. If you're trying to insinuate that Danny was dependent on Luis then you are wrong. Very much wrong. The way Danny thrived in Suarez's absence proves that.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1366: Jul 11, 2014 05:02:56 pm
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1367: Jul 11, 2014 06:37:38 pm
      Danny and Luis weren't a combo - they worked independently of each other. The SAS tag was a smart but false tag. If you're trying to insinuate that Danny was dependent on Luis then you are wrong. Very much wrong. The way Danny thrived in Suarez's absence proves that.

Indeed. By the end of last season they were looking very frustrated with each other. They both did carry a threat though and with that allowed the other to operate in more space, so while Studge doesn't need the Suarez supply line to thrive, replacing the threat is a must.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,670 posts | 7156 
      Reply #1368: Jul 11, 2014 06:44:09 pm
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,327 posts | 773 
      Reply #1369: Jul 11, 2014 10:07:48 pm
      We still have the S& S partnership giving Sterling a more responsible role.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,327 posts | 773 
      Reply #1370: Jul 11, 2014 10:14:42 pm
      Danny has the knack of scoring goals, whoever plays in the side. Fully expect that to continue without Luis.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,424 posts | 6420 
      Reply #1371: Jul 11, 2014 10:20:28 pm
      Feel like we should be giving Studge some love....starting to really get me down that we have to make such a big deal of Luis' leaving forgetting that we still have one of the best strikers in the Premier League ready to ply his trade for us.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,670 posts | 7156 
      Reply #1372: Jul 11, 2014 10:24:43 pm
      I think Daniel will blossom now he has always wanted to be the main man and now he has his wish.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1373: Jul 11, 2014 10:25:13 pm
      Any 3 of: Sterling, Lallana, Coutinho and Markovic behind Sturridge is still a very attacking line up. Torres turned into a world class calibre player whilst at Liverpool as did Suarez. There's no reason why Danny can't turn into that type of player and there's no reason why we will never find another like them in the market again.

I sincerely hope though that the players are able to move on from Suarez. Some members of the squad need to step up more now and fill the void left by Suarez. I think Sturridge has the confidence to lead that step up.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1374: Jul 11, 2014 10:37:53 pm
      I think Daniel will blossom now he has always wanted to be the main man and now he has his wish.

No one shall be the main man. If he has this attitude now Luis has gone then we can drop him for all I care. There is no main man at LFC, and even Suarez refused to act as one during his time here.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1375: Jul 11, 2014 11:48:16 pm
      No one shall be the main man. If he has this attitude now Luis has gone then we can drop him for all I care. There is no main man at LFC, and even Suarez refused to act as one during his time here.

:o

Walton was talking about leading the line...being the guy that his mates counted on to score the goals and win the game, he was not speaking of Danny becoming a prima-donna.

You don't think Luis knew he was the main man? You don't think Luis relished the role of being the #7  and leading the strike force?

Anything to bi*ch and moan
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,929 posts | 825 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1376: Jul 12, 2014 12:42:59 am
      :o

Walton was talking about leading the line...being the guy that his mates counted on to score the goals and win the game, he was not speaking of Danny becoming a prima-donna.

You don't think Luis knew he was the main man? You don't think Luis relished the role of being the #7  and leading the strike force?

Anything to bi*ch and moan

Id argue Sturridge lead the line already, i remember seeing Suarez start many games wider than usual last season but still prolific nevertheless.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1377: Jul 12, 2014 12:45:40 am
      Id argue Sturridge lead the line already, i remember seeing Suarez start many games wider than usual last season but still prolific nevertheless.

Would not disagree.

There seems to be some kind of notion that Danny was riding coattails.

I don't see that at all.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #1378: Jul 12, 2014 07:08:44 am
      Sturridge was among the best strikers of Europe last season, there's no reason he won't improve. He will be best or second best scorer this season as long as our midfielders play well and give him the good passes.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1379: Jul 12, 2014 03:48:06 pm
      Seriously, Sturridge has completely flown under the radar for like a year-and-a-half now. One of the best strikers in the league and people seem to have forgotten that he was the second-leading goalscorer in the league last season, all the while coping with injuries. If we can keep him fit for a whole season, we're looking at 40 goals in all competitions. He's that good.

Quick Reply