Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 5th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 496843 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,283 posts | 4938 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #1196: Apr 13, 2014 11:19:06 pm

I'd guess we won't hear anything until tomorrow at the earliest.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,923 posts | 965 
      Reply #1197: Apr 14, 2014 01:22:18 am

Didn't appear too serious at first.  Hopefully just a knock that he can run off in the next few days.  We need him for the run in!!

Please get well soon Danny boy, I want to see "The Sturridge Shake" lots more this season :)
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #1198: Apr 14, 2014 09:40:18 am
      Any news yet?
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #1199: Apr 14, 2014 01:03:54 pm
      lov sturridge to bits, on and off the field.

he has gone off the boil a little in the past few games though, so i'm wondering if the season's exersions have taken their toll. the effort for the season has been immense and lets not forget luis missed the first month when sturrdige had to carry the flag alone.

but boy do we need him for this last few games. get well soon fella, hope it's just a minor knock.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #1200: Apr 14, 2014 01:10:29 pm
      I feel that the injury he suffered was a recurrence of a long standing problem rather than a new one. Hopefully it was more precautionary than anything else and he'll be back on form against Norwich.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,354 posts | 6395 
      Reply #1201: Apr 14, 2014 02:48:15 pm
      If it's just a twinge, I would sit him vs Norwich, Luis can more than handle them :)

We need Sturridge healthy against Chelsea and I'm sure he has that game circled on his calendar.
      harrydunn08

• 5,923 posts | 965 
      Reply #1202: Apr 14, 2014 03:39:56 pm
      If it's just a twinge, I would sit him vs Norwich, Luis can more than handle them :)

We need Sturridge healthy against Chelsea and I'm sure he has that game circled on his calendar.

Yeah, I'd rest him for Norwich even if he is fit.  Use him off the bench if necessary, but I'm confident that a 4-3-3 with Gerrard-Lucas-Allen / Sterling-Suarez-Coutinho will be able to handle Norwich.  Get Danny rested and fresh for the match against the Chavs!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,804 posts | 6754 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1203: Apr 15, 2014 02:13:09 am
      Just read on FB so not sure of accuracy, he is out for 2 weeks. Time for Luis to step it up even more.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1204: Apr 16, 2014 05:52:18 am
      Not quite sure what to make of Sturridge.  Against City he was very, very poor.  And when he is poor, it seems like those "worst" qualities that we all feared when he came from Chelsea all start pouring back.  Being selfish.  Making poor decisions.  There were times where he got the ball and just looked down and ahead, like he had blinders on and knew right away he wasn't even going to think about passing.  On his day he is absolutely brilliant.  But as of late it has been really inconsistent.  Suarez has his bad days but even then, when he's not on form, he can still pull magic out of a hat.  Whereas with Sturridge, if everything is going wrong, it just seems to go from bad to worse.

I really believe that however good Sturridge is, Sterling has the potential to be even better.  Sterling has just been unstoppable these last few months and really, every time he gets the ball you expect something to happen.  Honestly, if we can get a world class attacking player like Konoplyanka in the summer, I would rather see us start next season with a front three of Konoplyanka, Suarez, and Sterling.  We know Suarez can play as a central striker---in fact it's probably his best position.  I just don't think Sturridge has shown yet that we can depend on him game in and game out, like Suarez has, and like Sterling is doing now.
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #1205: Apr 16, 2014 08:41:53 am
      I just don't think Sturridge has shown yet that we can depend on him game in and game out, like Suarez has, and like Sterling is doing now.

I'm sorry but that's a load of tosh, the lad has 30 in 35 in a liverpool shirt putting him amongst the most prolific strikers in the World, what more do u want from the lad? Personally I think he's been an absolute revelation since he's been here
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,283 posts | 4938 
      Reply #1206: Apr 16, 2014 08:59:27 am
      I'm sorry but that's a load of tosh, the lad has 30 in 35 in a liverpool shirt putting him amongst the most prolific strikers in the World, what more do u want from the lad? Personally I think he's been an absolute revelation since he's been here

Agree.

Seems some were just waiting for an opportunity to have a go at the lad.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #1207: Apr 16, 2014 09:25:59 am
      I don't understand why some are having a go at Sturridge,

he was not at his best  vs city, apart from Luis's 29 goals so far , he is 2nd with 20,  yes he sometimes is selfish in front of goal , but what striker isin't
        guess we will cope without him with his injury, but I am sure we will miss him, hoping he will lose only the Norwich game
       And he has been fantastic for us

YNWA
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,622 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1208: Apr 16, 2014 09:39:14 am
      Top 2 goalscorers in the league.
      Let's give out about the 2nd one.

Fed behaviour.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1209: Apr 16, 2014 09:52:27 am
      Top 2 goalscorers in the league.
      Let's give out about the 2nd one.

Fed behaviour.

Have to agree that having a go at the lad at the first sign of a slump in form is harsh in the extreme.

He's been sensational for us this season, desperately deserves his own song and at 24 years old is only likely to get better. He doesn't exactly only rely on his pace, he has great technical ability so I don't see him dropping off nearly as harshly as some speed merchants can. The only worry I have with him is his injury record and for that reason cover should be brought in but in terms of quality he is right out of the very top draw.

Quality player and quality guy.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,398 posts | 2825 
      Reply #1210: Apr 16, 2014 09:56:37 am
      Just think he's tiring a bit. He was rushed back from injury back in August and maybe it's starting to catch up with him. Maybe missing the Norwich game will be a blessing in disguise.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,017 posts | 3955 
      Reply #1211: Apr 16, 2014 10:16:27 am
      Not quite sure what to make of Sturridge.  Against City he was very, very poor.  And when he is poor, it seems like those "worst" qualities that we all feared when he came from Chelsea all start pouring back.  Being selfish.  Making poor decisions.  There were times where he got the ball and just looked down and ahead, like he had blinders on and knew right away he wasn't even going to think about passing.  On his day he is absolutely brilliant.  But as of late it has been really inconsistent.  Suarez has his bad days but even then, when he's not on form, he can still pull magic out of a hat.  Whereas with Sturridge, if everything is going wrong, it just seems to go from bad to worse.

I really believe that however good Sturridge is, Sterling has the potential to be even better.  Sterling has just been unstoppable these last few months and really, every time he gets the ball you expect something to happen.  Honestly, if we can get a world class attacking player like Konoplyanka in the summer, I would rather see us start next season with a front three of Konoplyanka, Suarez, and Sterling.  We know Suarez can play as a central striker---in fact it's probably his best position.  I just don't think Sturridge has shown yet that we can depend on him game in and game out, like Suarez has, and like Sterling is doing now.

.Your negativity has no parameters.

edit: Is it worth getting up so early to submit that bag of sh*te.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1212: Apr 16, 2014 10:17:21 am

Or he's just having a slight dip in form like everyone gets
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1213: Apr 16, 2014 10:34:45 am
      To question his ability at the first sign of a slump, after he's scored so many for us this season, a season where he missed 8 games too is stupid and unnecessary in my eyes.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1214: Apr 16, 2014 11:22:21 am
      The problem with Sturridge's "slumps" are that when he is playing poorly, he starts to become more selfish.  I can think of 2 instances in the City game alone where that happened.  We had a counter and he practically took the ball from the halfway line, and Suarez had peeled away and there was a simple through ball to put Luis in on goal.  Instead Sturridge just bulldozed into towards goal, lost the ball, and we lost the opportunity.  In the first half we had another break and he kind of dallied on the outside of the box before attempting a half pass to Suarez that they broke up.

I don't know.  When Suarez isn't on form he still manages to be a team player.  The goals might not go in for him but he can still make everyone around him better.  Whereas when Sturridge isn't on form he stops passing, he becomes more selfish etc.  It seems that with Sturridge there are only two settings: brilliant or poor.  When he's on his game he is stunningly good.  But when he's not he really is poor.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #1215: Apr 16, 2014 12:16:40 pm
      According to some media , metro for ex. , Daniel Sturridge is out for the season with hamstring

hope this is not true

YNWA
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1216: Apr 16, 2014 12:20:58 pm
      The problem with Sturridge's "slumps" are that when he is playing poorly, he starts to become more selfish.  I can think of 2 instances in the City game alone where that happened.  We had a counter and he practically took the ball from the halfway line, and Suarez had peeled away and there was a simple through ball to put Luis in on goal.  Instead Sturridge just bulldozed into towards goal, lost the ball, and we lost the opportunity.  In the first half we had another break and he kind of dallied on the outside of the box before attempting a half pass to Suarez that they broke up.

I don't know.  When Suarez isn't on form he still manages to be a team player.  The goals might not go in for him but he can still make everyone around him better.  Whereas when Sturridge isn't on form he stops passing, he becomes more selfish etc.  It seems that with Sturridge there are only two settings: brilliant or poor.  When he's on his game he is stunningly good.  But when he's not he really is poor.

It's been a problem between the pair of them in the past few matches. They don't seem to like to pass to each other and have been waving their arms around suggesting the pass should have been played constantly. I'm not sure if there's disharmony between them, over-competitiveness or simply misunderstanding but it is something I've brought up in the match threads and something I would like to see Brendan address.

Apparently neither of them play in the same team in training and therefore are the main men in each team. Brendan proclaims them as soloists so is quite happy to emphasise this in training to bring the best out of them individually but I think if they are to get to the next level they need to learn to bring the best out in each other a touch more because when they first started there was much more of an understanding than there feels now. That could of course simply be down to coincidence, not everything you try on a football pitch will come off and the next time they play together they could easily both bag a couple of assists for each other but it's certainly something I've had my eye on.

There's a reason that Suarez plays the more creative role in the team though and that's simply because he's better at it. Suarez will always have more assists than Sturridge it's just the nature of their games, I would put nobody off backing Sturridge for top goalscorer next season as I believe if he stays injury free there's a good chance he will run Luis very close indeed.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #1217: Apr 16, 2014 12:25:47 pm
      Your first post after us beating Man City is a negative one about one of our players.

The only thing that surprises me is it wasn't in the Henderson thread after he got sent off.

You truly are the biggest WUM on here. Arsehole.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1218: Apr 16, 2014 12:40:33 pm
      It's been a problem between the pair of them in the past few matches. They don't seem to like to pass to each other and have been waving their arms around suggesting the pass should have been played constantly. I'm not sure if there's disharmony between them, over-competitiveness or simply misunderstanding but it is something I've brought up in the match threads and something I would like to see Brendan address.  When they first started there was much more of an understanding than there feels now.

I've also noticed that it runs hot and cold.  Sometimes they play together like two puzzle pieces locking in, Sunderland away comes to mind, each had an assist for the other, or Stoke away, same thing.  Cardiff away, that backheel from Sturridge was glorious, Suarez's cross a little later on also beautiful.  When they are on the same page, they're unstoppable.  But when they aren't on the same page it causes issues---my point is simply that Sturridge seems to suffer more from it.  If they are indeed "soloists," then I think we can fairly say that Suarez is a better soloist than Sturridge. 

And yes I did notice a few weeks ago when Rodgers said in one of the post-games that they aren't a partnership, they are two individual "soloists."  I thought that was a bit odd.

Quick Reply