Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 6th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W8 D1 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 497183 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #1265: Apr 18, 2014 02:12:50 am
      I don't particularly want to wad into this argument, but mate you posted this in July 2013:

Can't you see why we all find the irony so delicious?

Wow. Egg on face to the extent that federer is now a full blown omelette.

federer - this is getting pathetic now, isn't it?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,357 posts | 6396 
      Reply #1266: Apr 18, 2014 03:35:02 am
      I don't particularly want to wad into this argument, but mate you posted this in July 2013:

Can't you see why we all find the irony so delicious?

Think I feel an extended self imposed federer posting hiatus coming on :lmao:

Good find Mozzie!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1267: Apr 18, 2014 11:05:17 am
      Well I don't really see how what I said was so controversial...  When you say that what I said was he was "unfit" for the job, it makes me think, "such and such manager is totally incompetent and has no idea what he is doing and should become a plumber or something."  That's not what I think or ever thought about Rodgers.  What I said in that post and what he showed at many points last season was the mentality of a small club manager---going up 2-0 away when you are bossing a team and then deciding to park the bus.  That is a small time tactic.  No one can deny that.   Oh and at that point last season we were also just a few points off 4th.  So it was a huge game.  Does anyone here deny that is a small-club tactic?  of course not.

So yes.  He looked way out of his league.  He was trying to bring small club tactics to a team that should be winning.  You translate this as being "unfit" for the job, I say it's not being right or not being ready.  And there was nothing to show last season that he was right or ready for the job.  So FSG took a risk and stuck with him and now we are 4 wins away from winning the league.  It was a gamble that paid off.  Exponentially. 

I think the issue is: I am/was just so damn tired of us losing, year after year after year.  And I think I might have punched someone if I heard that stupid phrase "work in progress" one more time.  That was the get out of jail free card for us to lose and draw and play awfully.  But yea, maybe I'm missing something but I don't really see how what I said last season changes anything.  If you look at us now and last year, we play almost nothing like we were doing when he first came.  We're playing more counter-attacking football than the "Barcelona lite" that he was trying to have us do.  We are playing with a diamond FFS.  These things come directly from the manager---so clearly he himself knew that what he was trying to do last season wasn't working.  And clearly he realized that the small-club approach wasn't going to get us titles.

Anyway, this whole "gotcha" thing is a bit weird.  I stand by what I said---that Rodgers at the time was way out of his league.  But obviously with a year under his belt, he has learned a hell of a lot and his learning curve has brought us to where we are.  It's almost like we have 2 different managers, one last season and one this season.  And, as I said, since we are basically playing with the same starting XI as last season, the changes have to be credited to him.

I just don't get why with us, it is always about F***ing waiting.  Waiting on Rodgers to learn the ropes.  Waiting 2 years on Henderson to start to show his potential.  Waiting about a year longer than we should have on Carroll to get rid.  Waiting waiting waiting.  Suarez came in and BAM right away showed what he was all about.  As did Coutinho.

Oh well.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1268: Apr 18, 2014 11:09:58 am
      Suarez came in and BAM right away showed what he was all about.  As did Coutinho.
      Aye just like Sturridge, (funnily enough) and if they hadn't you wouldn't have waited? Oh well.

On subject - Danny cool - been F***ing brilliant this (and last) season... Only a fucktard would dispute that in my opinion.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #1269: Apr 18, 2014 12:13:14 pm

I just don't get why with us, it is always about f**king waiting.  Waiting on Rodgers to learn the ropes.  Waiting 2 years on Henderson to start to show his potential.  Waiting about a year longer than we should have on Carroll to get rid.  Waiting waiting waiting.  Suarez came in and BAM right away showed what he was all about.  As did Coutinho.

Oh well.

Rodgers said from day one it would be a five year project to get the club back where it needed to be. He said only a month ago that the club is a full year ahead of schedule in its progression. He is competing on a budget against clubs that have incomparable spending power. And in only his second season he has taken the club from mid table to the top of the PL. Did you think he was gonna walk in day one wave a magic wand have his tactics and philosophy instantly instilled in the players? If you crave instant success and are not willing to give managers/players a chance to reach their potential then why don't you go and support Chelsea or City?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1270: Apr 18, 2014 12:38:53 pm
      Sturridge is having a bit of a run of bad form.

It happens.

It also means he will bounce back from it at some point, and I think that is something to look forwards to.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1271: Apr 18, 2014 01:34:18 pm
      Sturridge is having a bit of a run of bad form.

It happens.

It also means he will bounce back from it at some point, and I think that is something to look forwards to.

I agree mate. I think our lack of options has meant that a few players have had to play games when they are not 100% fit (Johnson being the prime example) and Danny hasn't looked fully fit or on form in the last couple of games.

Hopefully he bounces back sooner rather than later ....
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1272: Apr 18, 2014 02:05:58 pm
      Well I don't really see how what I said was so controversial...  When you say that what I said was he was "unfit" for the job, it makes me think, "such and such manager is totally incompetent and has no idea what he is doing and should become a plumber or something."  That's not what I think or ever thought about Rodgers.  What I said in that post and what he showed at many points last season was the mentality of a small club manager---going up 2-0 away when you are bossing a team and then deciding to park the bus.  That is a small time tactic.  No one can deny that.   Oh and at that point last season we were also just a few points off 4th.  So it was a huge game.  Does anyone here deny that is a small-club tactic?  of course not.

So yes.  He looked way out of his league.  He was trying to bring small club tactics to a team that should be winning.  You translate this as being "unfit" for the job, I say it's not being right or not being ready.  And there was nothing to show last season that he was right or ready for the job.  So FSG took a risk and stuck with him and now we are 4 wins away from winning the league.  It was a gamble that paid off.  Exponentially. 

I think the issue is: I am/was just so damn tired of us losing, year after year after year.  And I think I might have punched someone if I heard that stupid phrase "work in progress" one more time.  That was the get out of jail free card for us to lose and draw and play awfully.  But yea, maybe I'm missing something but I don't really see how what I said last season changes anything.  If you look at us now and last year, we play almost nothing like we were doing when he first came.  We're playing more counter-attacking football than the "Barcelona lite" that he was trying to have us do.  We are playing with a diamond FFS.  These things come directly from the manager---so clearly he himself knew that what he was trying to do last season wasn't working.  And clearly he realized that the small-club approach wasn't going to get us titles.

Anyway, this whole "gotcha" thing is a bit weird.  I stand by what I said---that Rodgers at the time was way out of his league.  But obviously with a year under his belt, he has learned a hell of a lot and his learning curve has brought us to where we are.  It's almost like we have 2 different managers, one last season and one this season.  And, as I said, since we are basically playing with the same starting XI as last season, the changes have to be credited to him.

I just don't get why with us, it is always about f**king waiting.  Waiting on Rodgers to learn the ropes.  Waiting 2 years on Henderson to start to show his potential.  Waiting about a year longer than we should have on Carroll to get rid.  Waiting waiting waiting.  Suarez came in and BAM right away showed what he was all about.  As did Coutinho.

Oh well.

Everything you say is pathetic. Keep digging.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1273: Apr 18, 2014 02:12:39 pm
      I agree mate. I think our lack of options has meant that a few players have had to play games when they are not 100% fit (Johnson being the prime example) and Danny hasn't looked fully fit or on form in the last couple of games.

Hopefully he bounces back sooner rather than later ....

I don't think we need him for the Norwich game, but he'll be on the bench at the very least (if fit), then hopefully bounce back against chelsea.

One thing I've been thinking about is that although we've played less games than our title rivals, we still look a bit leggy at times during games.

I'm not sure if this is down to high intensity training, the amount of pressing our players do, or a combination of both.
      The only player that appears to be thriving is Henderson, although I personally think tiredness played a part in his red card.

Having said that, the players should be giving everything they have at this stage of the season with us pushing for the title, and happily they are for the most part.

Coming back to Sturridge, I'm also wondering if a full season in a top team has taken some extra out of him.
      I sometimes forget that he's nowhere near fully mature yet, and a full season at the pace we play might be causing him to struggle for form.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1274: Apr 19, 2014 01:43:07 pm
      what that saying about the best way to get yourself out of a hole is to stop F***ing digging.
      If you can't enjoy every minute of what is going on at present you really need to give your head a wobble. So much improvement everywhere including the atmosphere at Anfield.
      Everyone connected with the team has improved themselves including Daniel who has proved what he can do through the middle.
      just hope he is fit again for tomorrow.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1275: Apr 19, 2014 03:41:24 pm
      The lad is top draw end of, his got a strain it happens to them all. He will be back for Chelsea an bang in a stunner to show the world just how class he is. Any other team an he would be talked about as being amazing its just that he plays alongside the worlds best striker (LS) that he's overshadowed.

No bad run of form he's just a team player and doesn't always need the limelight, all our team and fans are united as one. #we go norwich come on you redmen 4 cup finals
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #1276: Apr 21, 2014 06:10:14 pm
      Daniel Sturridge On The Clare Balding Show

He has such a cool personality I really like him.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #1277: Apr 21, 2014 09:59:25 pm
      'I'm not saying that I was trying to pick up models, I'm just saying, I'm a single guy'

This man is my hero.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1278: Apr 21, 2014 10:38:45 pm
      He's just brilliant in every way possible. I genuinely never knew what a personality he was on and off the pitch. Blessed to have him in our company!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,303 posts | 2846 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1279: Apr 21, 2014 11:03:40 pm
      Will he be fit for Sunday?
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1280: Apr 22, 2014 07:18:17 am

Think his pace in behind and ability to hold the ball up and bring the team as a whole forward 5-10 yards was missed on Sun. Hoping he's available for the chavs but at the same time if he's not fully fit I'd keep him back on the bench
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #1281: Apr 22, 2014 08:40:45 am
      Any update on his injury?

Will he be ready the weekend?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1282: Apr 22, 2014 01:22:21 pm

That's because I don't think that an online forum is the proper place to air what one thinks and feels about Hillsborough.  Did you see the memorial---did you see Stevie and Carra and even the current lads, sitting there quietly, just considering the magnitude of what it has done to everyone's lives.  I saw that 30 for 30 Hillsborough documentary on line last night, one of the hardest things I've ever had to watch.  It's next to impossible to get that image out of my mind, of our supporters squashed up against the pens with no color in their lips.  I can't stop thinking about it.  I don't need to come on here and say "HEY LOOK AT ME AND HOW SAD I AM, I'M MORE SAD AND ANGRY THAN THE NEXT BLOKE" like some here do. 

Spent a lot of the other day thinking about Anne Williams.  It's almost impossible to think about the lives lost without breaking down each time.  But do you know what I am thinking about a lot lately as well---the toll it took on those who were indirectly affected by it.  Those who became alcoholics because their children died and they never got justice and couldn't bear the grief; those whose marriages ended up in divorce because one wanted to try to move on and the other wanted to fight for answers; I watched some of the interviews with the families of the 96, and how they felt after the HIP report was published.  Did they feel slightly relieved, that the answers they knew were true had finally been made clear to the world?----yes.  But you could see how.... tired they were.  I don't even know if "justice" means the same thing to all of them---but I had the impression that even if they somehow got justice right this very second, it is too late.  They have spent so many years investing so much emotional energy in this that they will never get back.  It's almost unbearable to think about.  That they spent nearly a quarter century of their lives fighting for something that they never should have had to have spent a single second on if the truth had simply been told from the getgo.  Twenty five years.  and now they have these blank stares, that they have been defeated, regardless of what comes to light .  And I don't think justice is going to turn them somehow into lively, fulfilled individuals.  It's too late for that.  The 96 died, but this ripple effect of destroying those around the 96 has also taken a huge toll.

And when you think about all of this, every single aspect of it, and then think about why we are all here---because of Liverpool Football Club---the truth is, it makes me almost ashamed even to care about whether we win the title or whether we play the diamond or a 4-3-3.  It really is so meaningless in the end.  And I don't know what to think about it.  You know that famous Shankly quote, "Football is more important than life or death"---sorry Shanks but you were wrong.   Football is a game.  A game played by a bunch of players on absurd wages who kick this little white thing around.  There's no way in hell that that is more important than life.  Than being alive.  Than the lives of those people who died, or of people dying today from starvation or war.  No.  Suarez can score a hundred goals and we can win the title, but that little girl who got slowly crushed to death is never coming back, and it makes me feel almost dirty thinking about football.  I don't know.  it's all very complex.

But yea.  Thinking about and reflecting on Hillsborough is, for me, a private thing.  Look at you right now, trying to call me out, "hey, you didn't post anything in the Hillsborough thread," like some teacher calling attendance.  "Okay, Johnny wrote something, Suzy wrote something, WAIT, Bobby, you didn't write something on the Hillsborough page!"  You should be ashamed of yourself.  If you feel the need to let everyone know how you feel, then that is your issue.  I prefer to do my meditating on this inside my mind and heart.  But if you feel validated by what you do, then go right ahead.
      Your off your tree lad you really are.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1283: Apr 22, 2014 01:54:42 pm
      you have to feel for Daniel because without Luis we would be going nuts about his goals scoring record.the lad is such a credit to himself and he reminds me of Robbie Fowler in the way he seems to caress the ball rather than strike it.Boy we are so lucky to have this lad
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,195 posts | 4406 
      Reply #1284: Apr 24, 2014 01:38:31 pm
      Looks like he will be fit for Sunday - Great news and sorts out the quandary over playing Lucas  ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,017 posts | 3955 
      Reply #1285: Apr 24, 2014 08:15:34 pm

Sturridge injury boost
      Daniel Sturridge is set to hand Liverpool a major boost by returning for Sunday's crunch clash with Chelsea.
      The injury he sustained in the 2-3 victory over Norwich is not thought to be as serious as first thought and he is now expected to face his former club this weekend.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-daniel-sturridge-looks-7025878
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1286: Apr 24, 2014 08:29:35 pm
      Sturridge injury boost
      Daniel Sturridge is set to hand Liverpool a major boost by returning for Sunday's crunch clash with Chelsea.
      The injury he sustained in the 2-3 victory over Norwich is not thought to be as serious as first thought and he is now expected to face his former club this weekend.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-daniel-sturridge-looks-7025878
      Since been edited :f_whistle:

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,017 posts | 3955 
      Reply #1287: Apr 24, 2014 08:40:09 pm

What's the update mate?

Quick Reply