Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 503101 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #2990: Apr 04, 2016 10:45:55 am
      Daniel's always been a sulker, even when he's playing well and scoring goals regularly.

He clearly is fit or he wouldn't be playing but he's definitely not match sharp yet, how could he be when he's missed the best part of 2 years playing time. 

He also needs time to regain confidence that his body won't break down again if he does exert himself, afterall this is somebody who has been troubled by niggly injuries most of his life. 

We've waited a long time to get him playing regularly again but it'll take more time before deciding he's never going to be the player he was.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2991: Apr 04, 2016 11:08:05 am
      Klopp reveals why he substituted Sturridge:

"In this moment we need other help in the game.  We needed ways behind the line.  We needed Divock’s physical strength so I changed.

“I could have changed Adam Lallana and gone with two strikers.  But in my opinion, and only my opinion counts, it didn’t make sense so that’s it.

“I saw that he was not happy because I’m not blind.

“But that’s not a problem because if he came off and (celebrated) something would be really wrong.

“You cannot play football with this confidence when you are like we are.  You have to think ‘yes, I’m the best’.  I like this – as long as he doesn’t come off the pitch and do something really strange like kicking me from behind.”
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2992: Apr 04, 2016 11:31:14 am
      Could be right mate - only problem is before the songs are finished he goes off injured and fucks it all up!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2993: Apr 04, 2016 11:54:07 am
      Could be right mate - only problem is before the songs are finished he goes off injured and fucks it all up!

:lmao:
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2994: Apr 04, 2016 12:09:51 pm
      I get the feeling he's going to be off and we'll get a rant a few days after along the lines of blah blah blah club didn't support me while I was injured blah blah but with the help of god blah blah.

Oh behave yourself. You're just making sh*t up.

Ridiculous stuff that mate.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2995: Apr 04, 2016 12:20:22 pm
      For those advocating selling Studge, who do you think we'll replace him with?

Bearing in mind that both manc clubs as well as Spuds, Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham will also be after strikers this summer.

The new player needs to be able to hit the ground running (no bedding in period allowed), never be injured or have any sort of injuries previously, score at least 20 goals per season and fit perfectly into Jurgens preferred system.

Of course we also won't be able or willing to go above approx £40m transfer fee and only offer them around £150k per wages.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2996: Apr 04, 2016 12:28:24 pm
      The new player needs to be able to hit the ground running (no bedding in period allowed), never be injured or have any sort of injuries previously, score at least 20 goals per season and fit perfectly into Jurgens preferred system.

And be laughing his bollocks off when he is subbed.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #2997: Apr 04, 2016 12:39:33 pm
      For those advocating selling Studge, who do you think we'll replace him with?

Bearing in mind that both manc clubs as well as Spuds, Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham will also be after strikers this summer.

Of course we also won't be able or willing to go above approx £40m transfer fee and only offer them around £150k per wages.

I think that virtually every red wants to see a fully fit Sturridge at LFC for many years to come Debs. However, given his injury history (And the fact he will be  into the final 2 years on his contract  this summer) I don't think you can be too critical of those that might advocate selling the lad if a big bid came in from someone like a PSG?

I've always felt him to be a very special player and at his best he is comfortably our best in my opinion BUT I am worried he might not regain the physical prowess he had previously. I believe he was training for a few weeks prior to making his return for LFC on Feb 6th and he has featured in 10 games (including one for England) since then. So that's a couple and a half months of training and 10 games (4 to 5 starts I believe). I haven't written him off but I would certainly be looking to bring in a player high on Klopp's shopping list Come the summer regardless. As for who that should be I don't know, I don't watch a ton of European football so am no expert but ideally it would be a player with a similar skill set to a fully fit and firing Studge ie. Pace, trickery, movement and mobility. In an ideal world we would keep him and buy another quality striker.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,516 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2998: Apr 04, 2016 12:47:18 pm
      PSG is a non starter for studge personally i want him to stay and hope a good pre-season will do wonders (the euros are a pain). I am a big fan of Kevin gameiro at Sevilla who has pace at movement.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #2999: Apr 04, 2016 01:09:47 pm
      He is clearly not right either physically or is holding himself back in fear of injury and missing the Euros.

Which incidentally may be the reason he doesn't get selected as the Hodge has learnt from Klopp and Pochetino that to get the best out of these young English players is via a high energy pressing game......
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3000: Apr 04, 2016 01:21:34 pm

I think that virtually every red wants to see a fully fit Sturridge at LFC for many years to come Debs. However, given his injury history (And the fact he will be  into the final 2 years on his contract  this summer) I don't think you can be too critical of those that might advocate selling the lad if a big bid came in from someone like a PSG?

I've always felt him to be a very special player and at his best he is comfortably our best in my opinion BUT I am worried he might not regain the physical prowess he had previously. I believe he was training for a few weeks prior to making his return for LFC on Feb 6th and he has featured in 10 games (including one for England) since then. So that's a couple and a half months of training and 10 games (4 to 5 starts I believe). I haven't written him off but I would certainly be looking to bring in a player high on Klopp's shopping list Come the summer regardless. As for who that should be I don't know, I don't watch a ton of European football so am no expert but ideally it would be a player with a similar skill set to a fully fit and firing Studge ie. Pace, trickery, movement and mobility. In an ideal world we would keep him and buy another quality striker.

I'm not being critical mate, I'm asking a question about who people think will come in as let's face it, we're pretty rubbish at replacing our better/best players with even better players.

Suarez for Torres was probably the last time but even that wasn't supposed to be like for like as big Andy was considered our new striker and quite a few in Luis' first couple of seasons didn't think he was a prolific goal scorer ala Torres on his arrival or Sturridges.

Of course in an ideal world he should stay and we bring in another main striker to take the heat out of Daniel needing to be the main man but I doubt he'd play 2nd fiddle to anyone if he's fit and why should he, unless the new guy is banging them in for fun from day one?

We currently have 5 strikers on the books, 6 if you include Firmino.  Balotelli and Benteke seem to be on their way out so who else is going to leave as we only play with 1 up top, therefore 4 is more than enough.

I just don't see the reasoning behind selling Daniel, the most prolific striker we have on the books to bring in someone who might take time to settle, might never adjust or may need a year or two to develop ala Origi, which would leave us relying on Ings, Origi and Firmino. 

I'm fine in us bringing in another Origi type, keep Daniel and then weigh up our options the following summer as despite what a lot of people are hoping, I don't think we are going to be bringing in many, if any, world class, ready to go players in their prime, especially a striker.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6422 
      Reply #3001: Apr 04, 2016 01:30:20 pm
      Not sure what the big deal is as far as when he was subbed off...he  clapped the Kop from what I saw, and wasn't happy to come off with the game in the balance (I should hope the hell not). I can't remember ever being happy to get subbed when I was playing sports...typically shot a steely glare at the coach if I made eye contact at all.

My bigger worry is that he's playing less aggressive for fear of injury. To me that could be the bigger long term worry.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #3002: Apr 04, 2016 01:40:51 pm

I'm fine in us bringing in another Origi type, keep Daniel and then weigh up our options the following summer as despite what a lot of people are hoping, I don't think we are going to be bringing in many, if any, world class, ready to go players in their prime, especially a striker.

I don't Think we will either Debs, more likely we're relying on Klopp to find and develop another Lewandowski, Goetze or Augmanyang. However, I would hope he can find someone a little further along their development than Origi who is incredibly raw and still has a long ways to go.

And as for Studge not wanting to play second fiddle to anybody else I wouldn't be too worried about that side of things, his injury record dictates that he should be viewed as a bonus player in my eyes. It would be foolish to assume he will be available all of next season.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3003: Apr 04, 2016 02:01:19 pm
      I don't Think we will either Debs, more likely we're relying on Klopp to find and develop another Lewandowski, Goetze or Augmanyang. However, I would hope he can find someone a little further along their development than Origi who is incredibly raw and still has a long ways to go.

And as for Studge not wanting to play second fiddle to anybody else I wouldn't be too worried about that side of things, his injury record dictates that he should be viewed as a bonus player in my eyes. It would be foolish to assume he will be available all of next season.

Yeah I didn't necessarily mean another 19/20 year old mate, just someone that's not quite had their breakout season.

I don't think Daniel sees his previous injuries as a reason to play second fiddle mate, he believes he should be playing whenever he's fit to play, that was one of his reasons for leaving both City and Chelsea.

Maybe that will change now he's struggling to regain his match sharpness after missing nearly 2 seasons and he's not a youngster anymore so it's only going to get more difficult to bounce back after any further injuries.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #3004: Apr 04, 2016 06:01:35 pm
      There are strikers out there, some as good as Sturridge, and some better than him, we should not be afraid to sell him. he is replaceable in the same way Rush,Fowler,Owen,Torres and in time Suarez will be, in this Sturridge is no different... We have a forgotten striker on our books who until his injury was doing well... Danny Ings..... Who is to say that he will no proven just as vital to us as Daniel Sturridge..... Either way we should be looking for replacements for Sturridge,Origi, Benteke and Ings sooner rather than later 
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3005: Apr 04, 2016 08:50:47 pm
      He started trudging off, the lip was down... then he kinda noticed the crowd was clapping and realised, we're trying to win this, I should probably be jogging here ... and he managed a half hearted walk/jog/clap back ...  he's gas, like a six year old when the other lads dont pass to him enough :)

From Elton John's ditty...

Daniel was subbed tonight at his game
      I can see the red in his eyes, urk it's a terrible pain
      Oh and I can see Daniel waving goodbye
      God it looks like Daniel, must be the clouds in Klopps eyes

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/eltonjohn/daniel.html
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3006: Apr 04, 2016 11:31:39 pm
      There are strikers out there, some as good as Sturridge, and some better than him, we should not be afraid to sell him. he is replaceable in the same way Rush,Fowler,Owen,Torres and in time Suarez will be, in this Sturridge is no different... We have a forgotten striker on our books who until his injury was doing well... Danny Ings..... Who is to say that he will no proven just as vital to us as Daniel Sturridge..... Either way we should be looking for replacements for Sturridge,Origi, Benteke and Ings sooner rather than later 

Sadly I don't think Suarez is a player we will be able to adequately replace for a good few years yet at least.

Regarding Sturridge. As I've said before, I have no problem with a player sulking if they are taken off because IMO it shows they want to be out there fighting for the club to try and get us the win. As long as he doesn't ignore the support from the fans he can sulk all he likes as far as I'm concerned.

The question over Sturridges future always seems to crop up if he has a game where he doesn't take a chance he normally would. He should have took at least a couple of the chances that fell his way but he didn't and there is nothing he can do it about it now apart from making sure he takes them next time.

Injury prone or not, he is still our biggest goal threat and his goal scoring record for us since he signed speaks for itself. He's shown this season too that he still has it in him to score difficult chances out of nothing.

If we were to sell him I wouldn't lose any sleep over it because he's missed more games than he has played for us but I would sure as hell be very wary over who we sell him to because of how dangerous he is in front of goal.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3007: Apr 04, 2016 11:41:21 pm
      You don't sell your best players and Danny is one of our best players.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3008: Apr 04, 2016 11:46:22 pm

Sadly mate, that is exactly what Liverpool Football Club has been doing for a number of years now.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3009: Apr 05, 2016 12:05:58 am
      Sadly mate, that is exactly what Liverpool Football Club has been doing for a number of years now.

I know KK7 and look where it has got us :(

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3010: Apr 05, 2016 01:07:03 am
      Based on one season he was good? The other seasons were, 16, 18 and 14 apps. He may well have one of the best goals to games ratio I've seen but he is a walking sick note. In the last 2 seasons we have had 12 goals out of him. We must be absolutely terrible if Sturridge is one of our best players. If he is sulking it is probably because he is not drawing interest from other big clubs. The only way he would get to play for a bigger club than us is on a pay as you play contract like Owen had after his injury crisis was well known. West Ham could make an offer, maybe he can line up alongside Carrol and see who can spend the longest on their injury list.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #3011: Apr 05, 2016 01:19:49 am
      I honestly believe that Klopp is uncompromising in terms of players being able to run hard for 90 minutes. Early days he subbed Lallana off regularly for the same reason, that he could see there was no gas left in the tank. Lallana has bought into Klopps strategy and has lifted his intensity to what it was on Klopp's arrival.
      I think Daniel is hampered by his injury prone body and will always be more of an impact player over 60 minutes, rather than 90 mins. There are a lot of similar players in the Premier League, who rarely play out the full match. Almost all Premier League teams have players like that.
      There will always be players who think they are good enough to be able to have a rest on the pitch for a while and save themself for the right moment when they can explode into action and win the match. There will always be Managers who will see a player doing exactly that and wont stand for what he sees as his team temporarily playing with 10 men. 
      In the end the Manager will win, and it has to be that way.
      All players will find out that if you want to play 90 minutes in a Jürgen Klopp team you must be able to run your socks off for 90 minutes. I don't think Klopp will get rid, Daniel will have to learn to accept the role his body is capable of delivering if he wants to stay a part of Jürgen's plans. In truth, I can't remember Daniel playing 90 minutes too often under Mourinho.
      And when Suarez was around he probably did enough running to make up for both of them so it didn't matter.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3012: Apr 05, 2016 01:22:50 am
      I honestly believe that Klopp is uncompromising in terms of players being able to run hard for 90 minutes. Early days he subbed Lallana off regularly for the same reason, that he could see there was no gas left in the tank. Lallana has bought into Klopps strategy and has lifted his intensity to what it was on Klopp's arrival.
      I think Daniel is hampered by his injury prone body and will always be more of an impact player over 60 minutes, rather than 90 mins. There are a lot of similar players in the Premier League, who rarely play out the full match. Almost all Premier League teams have players like that.
      There will always be players who think they are good enough to be able to have a rest on the pitch for a while and save themself for the right moment when they can explode into action and win the match. There will always be Managers who will see a player doing exactly that and wont stand for what he sees as his team temporarily playing with 10 men. 
      In the end the Manager will win, and it has to be that way.
      All players will find out that if you want to play 90 minutes in a Jürgen Klopp team you must be able to run your socks off for 90 minutes. I don't think Klopp will get rid, Daniel will have to learn to accept the role his body is capable of delivering if he wants to stay a part of Jürgen's plans. In truth, I can't remember Daniel playing 90 minutes too often under Mourinho.
      And when Suarez was around he probably did enough running to make up for both of them so it didn't matter.
      Sturridge should probably be an impact sub to put on at 65-70 minutes. I think that would work well. I refuse to believe that somebody who is only suitable as an impact sub is our best player too... maybe was one of our best players but this season changed that I think.

Quick Reply