Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 27th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D2 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 502693 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #3427: Aug 25, 2016 03:58:06 pm
      And... the silence is deafening from those who 'chatted' the loudest and longest about it. Weird that?  :laugh: :laugh:

'The leader is good, the leader is great! Na na na na na na na na leader!'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1FxfR3lg6Q
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #3428: Aug 25, 2016 04:32:24 pm
      Didn't realise Sturridge was being forced to play wingback?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3429: Aug 25, 2016 04:53:00 pm
      Didn't realise Sturridge was being forced to play wingback?

Nah that would be Milner, Danny's down for goalkeeper next. :)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #3430: Aug 25, 2016 04:54:19 pm
      Nah that would be Milner, Danny's down for goalkeeper next. :)

:gt-happyup:

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,688 posts | 7159 
      Reply #3431: Aug 27, 2016 06:38:11 pm
      when you see just how hard Mane worked for the team today its something Daniel just does not do because he has never had to. Klopp wants energy and effort Danny wants to score goals sadly there can only be one outcome the bench or the Taxi
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3432: Aug 27, 2016 06:42:43 pm
      when you see just how hard Mane worked for the team today its something Daniel just does not do because he has never had to. Klopp wants energy and effort Danny wants to score goals sadly there can only be one outcome the bench or the Taxi

Important point. Sturridge just doesn't have the mobility or ability to move across the front line as fluently as Origi, Mane, Firmino and Coutinho.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3433: Aug 27, 2016 06:46:37 pm
      Important point. Sturridge just doesn't have the mobility or ability to move across the front line as fluently as Origi, Mane, Firmino and Coutinho.

I don't get why he HAS to have the ability to play everywhere across the front line though. He's best as a number 9, he gives a focal point to the attack, you can rely on him to be in the positions that he needs to be in, he's always scoring when Klopp gives him a decent amount of time in the team etc. Surely all of that comes ahead of distance covered?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #3434: Aug 28, 2016 10:54:24 pm

Important point.
      Sturridge just doesn't have the mobility or ability to move across the front line as fluently as Origi, Mane, Firmino and Coutinho.

Sturridge wont work for it .
      Gegen Pressing is not for him.

Where does that leave him in the team ?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #3435: Aug 28, 2016 10:58:47 pm
      Thing is pressing is more natural for Firmino because he is a midfielder by trade and used to a challenge. Daniel is a pure striker, his job has never been to press and put in a good tackle. His job is to score goals. Personally don't see why he should be slated for not being proficient at anything that doesn't add to his goal tally.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,483 posts | 8670 
      Reply #3436: Aug 29, 2016 12:04:33 am
      Thing is pressing is more natural for Firmino because he is a midfielder by trade and used to a challenge. Daniel is a pure striker, his job has never been to press and put in a good tackle. His job is to score goals. Personally don't see why he should be slated for not being proficient at anything that doesn't add to his goal tally.

Pure strikers can still press though, you only have to look at Ian Rush, the most pure striker and probably the best I've seen in a red shirt, apart from scoring for fun, he was still able to close down defenders and win the ball from them as well.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #3437: Aug 29, 2016 02:26:43 am

I think so mate.

And I thought Klopp has found his Luis Suarez in Saido Mane. It won't surprise me if Mane play center forward in a near future.

The different is once things don't go the rosy way people will surely see the sulk/frustrate Sturridge but the like of Suarez/Mane or even Firmino they will keep try/fight for the team.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #3438: Aug 29, 2016 09:28:31 am
      Important point. Sturridge just doesn't have the mobility or ability to move across the front line
      He did when he played in a three with Raheem and Luis and he does now (in my opinion and if Jürgen has definitely deserted the 4-2-3-1, of course).

The proof of the pudding is, as always, in the eating and if we score more goals and win more games without Danny, (who is our best striker by a F***ing mile IMO), so be it... I'll have no problem with that.

I know a number of fans seem to baulk at the idea of us winning at "any cost" but  - I like to see us score goals, win games and win trophies/titles and if Jürgen can deliver that I do not care who plays where or when.

That said; I have a feeling Danny will be first choice more often than not... especially, 'Lord forbid', if things start to go as bad as last season.  :-\

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #3439: Aug 29, 2016 09:36:10 am
      I don't get why he HAS to have the ability to play everywhere across the front line though. He's best as a number 9, he gives a focal point to the attack, you can rely on him to be in the positions that he needs to be in, he's always scoring when Klopp gives him a decent amount of time in the team etc. Surely all of that comes ahead of distance covered?

Now that Klopp's our manager every fan thinks he's an expert on Chariots of Fire.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #3440: Aug 29, 2016 09:38:40 am
      He did when he played in a three with Raheem and Luis and he does now (in my opinion and if Jürgen has definitely deserted the 4-2-3-1, of course).

The proof of the pudding is, as always, in the eating and if we score more goals and win more games without Danny, (who is our best striker by a f**king mile IMO), so be it... I'll have no problem with that.

I know a number of fans seem to baulk at the idea of us winning at "any cost" but  - I like to see us score goals, win games and win trophies/titles and if Jürgen can deliver that I do not care who plays where or when.

That said; I have a feeling Danny will be first choice more often than not... especially, 'Lord forbid', if things start to go as bad as last season.  :-\

Hope you're right as going on the evidence thus far it doesn't look that way.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #3441: Aug 29, 2016 01:38:22 pm
      Hope you're right as going on the evidence thus far it doesn't look that way.

He's too good and too prolific to constantly leave out of a side which isn't exactly 'scoring for fun' or racking up the points in my opinion. Things keep going like that and he'll start... no matter how industrious the front-line is now.

Goalscorers win games not long distance runners; if they didn't, the top clubs would be looking to sign Mo Farah and... we would be after the Merseyside schools U17 cross-country runner up.  ;D
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3442: Aug 29, 2016 01:39:16 pm

Modern phenomena mate. Everyone must now be able to play 'anywhere across the front line, or just off the striker'.

Daniel can do it (play wide). He has done it at every club he's played for and England as well.

Thing is being a striker he is obviously better suited to playing as a striker. Who'd have thought it.

If results keep going the way they are and we continue to struggle to score from open play, Studge will be back in the team in his favoured central role of 'the real 9'

The people tripping over themselves to try and prove a point they probably don't themselves believe will come back on board with that decision too.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #3443: Aug 29, 2016 03:00:39 pm
      I like Sturridge being pissed off, moody and a tad insolent, even feeling a little under appreciated. It always seems to get something extra out of him.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #3444: Aug 29, 2016 06:10:08 pm
      I fully get the whole pressing thing, and maybe Sturridge doesn't put in the shift Firmino does in that aspect, but when you need a goal, Sturridge is the one most likely to get it.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #3445: Aug 29, 2016 07:37:47 pm
      For a long time i've suspected Sturridge to have a dodgy personality. His injury record is also another clue. I've read that he refused to sprint and that's why Klopp got angry. If we get around 35 mil for him, good riddance, i don't want a lazy and selfish player around the field. I truly believe he puts himself first than the club, seems too egocentrical.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3446: Aug 29, 2016 07:44:45 pm

Not sure. Don't think he (Studge) is either.

If this is going to be the way of it this season, why would Klopp not consider sell him this summer, get a bunch of cash in, and try by a quality 'striker' who will be able to do what he wants him to do, and will get into the first XI.

Right now don't see the point of having a player with Daniels finishing ability, but maybe not Klopps work ethic, stewing on the bench with the odd meaningless cameo.  Doesn't benefit us, or him.

One possibility is that Danny's form is off right now, and when Klopp is happy he's sharp enough, he'll start him? Dunno though.
      « Last Edit: Aug 29, 2016 08:01:01 pm by bmck »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #3447: Aug 29, 2016 07:58:11 pm
      For a long time i've suspected Sturridge to have a dodgy personality. His injury record is also another clue. I've read that he refused to sprint and that's why Klopp got angry. If we get around 35 mil for him, good riddance, i don't want a lazy and selfish player around the field.
      I truly believe he puts himself first than the club, seems too egocentrical.

Goes with some strikers i.e. Costa not with others i.e our Luis.

Has Sturridge now played as many games for us as he has missed ?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #3448: Aug 29, 2016 08:29:43 pm
      If we get around 35 mil for him, good riddance,
      Is that you John Henry?
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,327 posts | 773 
      Reply #3449: Aug 29, 2016 08:55:48 pm
      Still think he has plenty to offer the team, with his knack of finding the back of the net.

Quick Reply