Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. A cold Wednesday night at the Emirates - Win? Lose? or Draw?

Win ?
      63 (68.5%)
      Draw ?
      16 (17.4%)
      Lose ?
      13 (14.1%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Pre-match thread: Arsenal v Liverpool | 30-Jan-13, 1945 KO

Read 10036 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Pre-match thread: Arsenal v Liverpool | 30-Jan-13, 1945 KO
      Jan 29, 2013 02:59:22 am
      v
      Arsenal v Liverpool
      Emirates Stadium
      1945 KO
      Official: Kevin Friend

Liverpool look to rebound from Sunday’s shock defeat to League One side Oldham in the FA Cup when they travel to Arsenal on Wednesday night.

Kevin Friend will officiate the fixture – which was originally scheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 27, but switched to Wednesday for television reasons.

The Gunners sit three points ahead of the Reds on 37 points, while Liverpool, currently in 7th, are on 34 points.

Arsenal, coming off a 5-1 victory over West Ham in the league and a 3-2 win over Brighton in the FA Cup, won the reverse fixture at Anfield 2-0 thanks to goals from new signings Lukas Podolski and Santi Cazorla.

Podolski and Cazorla and joined by Theo Walcott as Arsene Wenger’s best attackers this season. Walcott leads all Arsenal scorers with 17 total goals, 10 in league play, while Cazorla has 8 league goals and Podolski has 7. All three players have been crucial in setting up teammates: Podolski has been credited with 9 assists, Walcott 7 and Cazorla 6.

Not to be forgotten is Olivier Giroud who, despite a slow start to his career in English football, has found the back of the net 8 times in the league.

Meanwhile, Liverpool’s last match in the league was a 5-0 thrashing of Norwich City which saw four different goal-scorers for the Reds plus an own goal. Jordan Henderson’s sublime volley was joined by goals from Luis Suarez, Steven Gerrard and Daniel Sturridge.

No one from either side has found the back of the net as much as Suarez has for Brendan Rodgers' side. His 16 league goals is second in the Premier League behind Robin van Persie’s league-leading 18. Liverpool captain Gerrard has netted 5 times in the league and set up teammates 8 times.

Beyond the Suarez and Gerrard attack, Liverpool have struggled to find anything of a consistent goal-scorer. Sturridge, Raheem Sterling, Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger are all next on the list with 2 league goals.

The Reds do have hope in Daniel Sturridge, however. The January signing has scored in 3 of his 4 appearances for Liverpool since arriving from Chelsea.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember Liverpool’s last two visits to the Emirates in league play?

On April 17, 2011, Jamie Carragher was knocked unconscious for a number of minutes in a dramatic 1-1 draw that saw both sides net late penalties. Van Persie’s penalty (won by Cesc Fabregas, fouled by Jay Spearing) in the 98th minute was cancelled out just four minutes later by Dirk Kuyt, who calmly netted the equalizer in the last minute of play following an Emmanuel Eboue foul on Lucas Leiva.

Wenger and Kenny Dalglish exchanged words after the match:

Kenny Dalglish Swears At Arsene Wenger - Liverpool - Arsenal 1-1 - 2011 Premiership 2011 HD.

In August the next campaign, the Reds won their first league match at Arsenal in 11 years. An own goal from Aaron Ramsey in the 78th minute and a 90th minute goal from Luis Suarez – who appeared to be in an offside position – saw Liverpool walk out 2-0 winners at the Emirates. Emmanuel Frimpong was sent off for the Gunners.

Suarez entered the match off the bench, as did Raul Meireles, who set up the Uruguayan’s goal. It would be Meireles’ last league match for the Reds (he started in the Carling Cup four days later) before being sold to Chelsea on Deadline Day.

Meireles celebrated his assist by flipping his digitus impudicus:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prospective Starting XIs

Szczesny
      Mertesacker     Vermaelen
      Sagna                                Gibbs
      Wilshere   Diaby
      Oxlade-Chamberlain    Cazorla              Podolski         
      Walcott

Sturridge
      Suarez                       Downing
      Henderson
      Gerrard        Lucas
      Johnson                                 Wisdom
           Agger    Carragher
      Reina

Note: Mikel Arteta should be fit for Arsenal but might not be rushed back into the starting XI, while Olivier Giroud could well be included in the starting XI, moving Theo Walcott wide and dropping Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to the bench.

For Liverpool, Pepe Reina should return to goal, while Jose Enrique is nearing fitness, but not find himself in the starting XI. With that in mind, expect Glen Johnson at LB and Andre Wisdom at RB. Jamie Carragher appears to have moved back up the pecking order based both on his own performance and the recent form of Martin Skrtel.

--
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Pre-match thread: Arsenal v Liverpool | 30-Jan-13, 1945 KO
      Reply #1: Jan 29, 2013 06:37:59 am
      Right the Oldham recriminations are over it is time to get back on track and come away with 3 points,no more weakened teams no more excuses just go out and do the job.We know our lads can play like world beaters when they want to so is is time to stand up and be counted.I want to wear one of my Liverpool shirts with pride on Wednesday night so get out there and make sure I can.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,800 posts | 6747 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2: Jan 29, 2013 08:07:18 am
      Still can't get the Oldham result out of my head.

Doesn't help when we have to face the Gunners at their home. I always feel they can rip shreds through any team on their day.

We have to get back quickly to our League mindset, remember what we did to Norwich and get back to winning ways as soon as possible.

Come on You Reds.

Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #3: Jan 29, 2013 08:19:18 am
      This season Arsenal have blown hot and cold as we have done. Massive game - and a test to see if BR has actually got any motiviational powers. He needs to drink some MTFU juice.

Carra & Agger back in the centre of defence

Shelvey, Lucas and Gerrard midfield

Suarez, Sturridge & Sterling up top

we can win this one - but lose, and we are realistically out of the battle for fourth, and probably out of contention for a european place next year - given at best it will go down to 6th place
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #4: Jan 29, 2013 10:16:06 am
      I thought Carra was going to play this one even after the Norwich game and think he might have worked his way into being selected with Agger for the next few games.

Reina

Wisdom  Carra  Agger  Johnson

Lucas  Gerrard

Henderson

Suarez  Sturridge  Borini

I'd play Henderson in that role just to give us a bit more in midfield and allow Luis to play further forward.

Borini instead of Sterling as Raheem has been very ineffective for a while now and I just feel after getting a ciuple of games under his belt Fabio will offer a bit more tomorrow.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,443 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #5: Jan 29, 2013 10:23:14 am
      Same team as Norwich I reckon
      redno7
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts | 14 
      Reply #6: Jan 29, 2013 10:41:50 am
      Looking forward to this one, Oldham is in the past, we've had a cry about it but now it's time to dry those eyes and get 3 points on Arsenal. This'll move us level with them unless we put 8 past them.

Arsenal 1 - 3 Liverpool (Suarez 2, Sturridge)

bring it on
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #7: Jan 29, 2013 11:13:57 am
      HUGE game for us. This'll be a catalyst in showing what Rodgers can really do when under the pump.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: Jan 29, 2013 11:24:10 am
      Be nice to take 3 points from this, if we get a good points return from Arsenal and City confidence wise that could set us up for the remainder of the season.

I just want to see Wenger shaking like a shitting dog on the touchline, if that happens it means we've probably got the 3 points in the bag, C'mon the redmen.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #9: Jan 29, 2013 11:30:35 am
      The importance of this game only went up thanks to the Oldham result.

A team which should suit the way we play, both scoring well at the moment so I expect a few goals in this one. Also a game that if we are to stand any chance of 4th I don't believe we can afford to lose, winning would most certainly throw us right back in the mix.

Any type of victory I'd take, biggest game of the season for us really, make us proud lads.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #10: Jan 29, 2013 12:16:14 pm
      This game can't come quick enough after the shambles  that was Sunday. We all need a lift, hopefully the lads can put the disappointment behind them and get the 3 points.
      Losing this is unthinkable, we need all the positive vibes we can get, hopefully Brendan realises this too.
      A clean sheet and a couple of goals each for Sturridge and Suarez and we'll all be happy bunnies again!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,398 posts | 2825 
      Reply #11: Jan 29, 2013 12:36:26 pm
      Reina; Johnson, Carra, Agger, Enrique; Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson; Downing, Sturridge, Suarez.

Enrique probably won't start though so I'd expect Wisdom in.

Got to win either this one or the weekend game at City IMO.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #12: Jan 29, 2013 12:48:46 pm
      I am going for a 8-0 win so we can leapfrog them in the league and West Brom thrashing the blue sh*te 4-0
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,300 posts | 766 
      Reply #13: Jan 29, 2013 01:18:10 pm
      I am going for a 8-0 win so we can leapfrog them in the league and West Brom thrashing the blue sh*te 4-0
      I must admit that I like your optimism, although myself, feel a score draw, with a much improved performance will be a decent result at the Emirates tomorrow night. Should be an interesting game with Arsenal blowing hot and cold similar to us.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #14: Jan 29, 2013 01:23:09 pm
      This is a must win game, despite the fact Brendan said it isn't, if we are to make a challenge for CL qualification. 

Thankfully I'll have the peace and quiet required to shout obscenities at the tv if we play like we did on Sunday  >:(

We should have a more or less full strength team that is sufficient enough to beat these all ends up but a lot depends on how the lads react to the tongue lashing they've received recently.

I'm going for a 3-2 win for the mighty Reds, no matter how disgruntled I am with the team I'll never back against them or what's the use in supporting.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #15: Jan 29, 2013 02:11:05 pm
      I think if we are to beat Arsenal we have to match them in midfield and hope our superior strike force can take their chances.

I would play five in midfield (4 plus Suarez linking midfield and attack) and I would ask our fullbacks to concentrate on defending rather than trying to support the attack.

Reina
      Wisdom            Carra               Agger         Johnson

Henderson    Lucas     Gerrard   Downing
                                        Suarez

Sturridge

Not really expecting us to win this one..... but hoping...
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #16: Jan 29, 2013 02:20:47 pm
      I'm guessing that we'll go out with the same side as we did vs Norwich. Borini being subbed off at the weekend is indicative for me that he won't be starting this one, whereas Downing played well vs Norwich and was decent coming on Sunday.

The question will be where does Suarez play? I'd prefer him to play wide AS LONG AS he tracks back to help the fullback out.

The pace in this game will be something to keep on eye on. Agger and Vermaelen are pushes to me, but neither Carragher nor Mertesacker are renown for their speed. Walcott vs Carra and Sturridge vs Mertesacker, could be decisive there.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #17: Jan 29, 2013 03:03:36 pm
      @jose3enrique3

Travelling with the team to London. We have to win tomorrow!! Have a nice day

Jose on the bench maybe? It'll be good to have him back.

Similarly...

@suso30fernandez

Not in the squad for the game tomorrow so staying in liverpool. Ill watch the game tomorrow so all the best boys..YNWA

Suso really hasn't been playing very much lately.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,351 posts | 6394 
      Reply #18: Jan 29, 2013 03:28:45 pm
      So Walcott is going to be running at Carra? Love Jaime but his legs won't go that fast ;D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #19: Jan 29, 2013 03:29:51 pm
      So Walcott is going to be running at Carra? Love Jaime but his legs won't go that fast ;D

If he's playing centrally. Could be Giroud with Walcott wide, which would be to our benefit I think.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #20: Jan 29, 2013 03:47:26 pm
      WIN THIS GAME RODGERS! Otherwise this week will be another shot in your feet, so please, make a proper team selection.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #21: Jan 29, 2013 03:55:32 pm
      This and the City game will be a huge test for us especially after the Oldham result, we really need to step up to the plate, would be very happy with 4 points over the two games but it's gonna be tough thats for sure.

MsGerrard
      Reply #22: Jan 29, 2013 04:00:51 pm
      Poll Added....Vote now.

Quick Reply