Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 403743 times
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #1104: May 08, 2014 04:26:43 pm
      His versatility or lack of it i feel is what caused him to miss out on the world cup. He likes to play the 10 role which Oscar/Willian/Hernanes/Bernard can all play. It may be argued that he is the most creative out of that set of players however, he doesn't posses the work ethic nor the defensive qualities yet to be chosen ahead of them.

Give him another 2 years, he will be their first choice at the role. He needs to develop his game that's all and play consistently, while at Inter Milan he didn't get enough of a consistent run out and towards the end of this season he has seemed to fall out of favor due to his lack of defensive abilities. The more games he plays the better he will progress as an overall player. 
      LFC Dynamo
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #1105: May 09, 2014 11:38:42 am
      What was more weird is that Lucas Moura didn't get in the squad.  ???

But Countinho did deserve to go IMO.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1106: Jun 01, 2014 03:12:37 pm
      I'm sure the lad will get a nice rest before shining next season. Feel gutted for him nonetheless.

Become a British citizen and play for England lad!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #1107: Jun 01, 2014 03:13:17 pm
      I'm sure the lad will get a nice rest before shining next season. Feel gutted for him nonetheless.

Become a British citizen and play for England lad!

He'd really flourish under Hodgey.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1108: Jun 01, 2014 03:15:52 pm
      He'd really flourish under Hodgey.

Ha, don't worry Hodgey won't be in charge after our group exit
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1109: Jun 20, 2014 01:23:42 pm
      Part 1 of a fantastic compilation of Coutinho in 13/14 season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-lOh2fwD0c#ws

He really is a magician. Watching Brazil's last few games (friendlies too), I feel this is the type of player they're missing.

Can't wait for next season and see Sterling and Coutinho fight for that #10 spot.

Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #1110: Jul 08, 2014 02:59:49 pm
      Just wondering what would happen to his mindset and ultimately game play if Suarez(Barca), Lucas(Inter Milan), Suso(Porto) & Aspas(Sevilla) do leave with Alberto(Malaga) already having left. Aren't these his bessy mates and aren't these people the reason why he "settled & adapted" to the rigours of the PL so well?
      I know he'll still have Enrique and possibly Pepe to converse with (not sure what's happening with Ilori) but I just worry though that there's going to be a dip in form for him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,347 posts | 6394 
      Reply #1111: Jul 08, 2014 03:34:21 pm
      Just wondering what would happen to his mindset and ultimately game play if Suarez(Barca), Lucas(Inter Milan), Suso(Porto) & Aspas(Sevilla) do leave with Alberto(Malaga) already having left. Aren't these his bessy mates and aren't these people the reason why he "settled & adapted" to the rigours of the PL so well?
      I know he'll still have Enrique and possibly Pepe to converse with (not sure what's happening with Ilori) but I just worry though that there's going to be a dip in form for him.

Well he will either put it behind him and play up to standard or he will warm up a spot on the bench.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1112: Jul 08, 2014 04:10:55 pm
      I'm actually hoping that this lad will improve a fair bit this season, as I thought he was a fraction dissappointing last time around. I absolutely love him as a player, but for me he has to impose himself a little more and like some others, perhaps the departure of Luis will facilitate that. On other threads I saw someone asking about who will take free kicks, and the same applies to who will open teams up. My guess is the onus will fall more on Coutinho than it has before, and while I have absolutely no concerns that he has the ability to do it I do wonder sometimes about his fortitude.

Although it's been great to see him getting stuck into tackles, "putting a shift in" and the like, we and he mustn't ever forget what he's in the team for. He needs to get on the football in the last third and from there, both cause goals to be scored and score them himself. His shooting from distance is prectically a liability and I'm convinced there's a technique issue (which I won't go into here), but I was a bit concerned last season that he was kind of hiding a bit behind workrate and tackles and not doing what he does best often enough. Then when he did try to thread someone in, too often he forced it rather than letting the flow of the game carry him and the ball into the correct position. He reminds me so much of Juan Pablo Aimar that little magician they had at Valencia, and in terms of natural ability and the nack of seeing a pass he's the best in the Premiership bar Silva in my opinion. He can go past him though if he and Brendan can sit down and drag out that extra 20%.   
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1113: Jul 08, 2014 10:12:29 pm
      Give we Coutinho over Oscar all day. Philippe has a lot to learn and improve on but has so much more imagination and tenacity to his play than Oscar
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1114: Jul 08, 2014 11:38:27 pm
      I'm actually hoping that this lad will improve a fair bit this season, as I thought he was a fraction dissappointing last time around. I absolutely love him as a player, but for me he has to impose himself a little more and like some others, perhaps the departure of Luis will facilitate that. On other threads I saw someone asking about who will take free kicks, and the same applies to who will open teams up. My guess is the onus will fall more on Coutinho than it has before, and while I have absolutely no concerns that he has the ability to do it I do wonder sometimes about his fortitude.

Although it's been great to see him getting stuck into tackles, "putting a shift in" and the like, we and he mustn't ever forget what he's in the team for. He needs to get on the football in the last third and from there, both cause goals to be scored and score them himself. His shooting from distance is prectically a liability and I'm convinced there's a technique issue (which I won't go into here), but I was a bit concerned last season that he was kind of hiding a bit behind workrate and tackles and not doing what he does best often enough. Then when he did try to thread someone in, too often he forced it rather than letting the flow of the game carry him and the ball into the correct position. He reminds me so much of Juan Pablo Aimar that little magician they had at Valencia, and in terms of natural ability and the nack of seeing a pass he's the best in the Premiership bar Silva in my opinion. He can go past him though if he and Brendan can sit down and drag out that extra 20%.   

Agree Mick.

Definetly has the talent and abillity to be absolutely world class in that position but needs that extra 20% or so.

One standout performance for me where he showed he had it all in his locker was the Arsenal 5-1 drubbing. He was getting stuck in, threading passes and running himself to the ground.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1115: Jul 09, 2014 03:59:32 am

Excellent post that. I pretty much agree with most of it in fact. Not too sure about hiding behind his work rate although in England you do get accolades for that and tackling as much as you do with any other aspect of the game - and rightly so IMO - but sometimes it maybe safer to play this way knowing you get praise for it, rather than taking risks in your 'on the ball ability'. I always felt Kuyt turned to his graft in the end when by all accounts he was a bit of a goal scorer prior to Liverpool. I hope Coutinho strikes that balance and leaves his Brazillian gift as a major repertoire of his game which can change things, as you say, his vision is something else and I don't believe Brendan is one of those manager's that coaches something out of a player - I think he likes natural ability to flourish. I just hope he continues to improve. Good player no doubt.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1116: Jul 09, 2014 12:01:38 pm
      He look's in decent shape. Seems that he has gained a little bulk, especially in the quadriceps. Those squats have worked wonders.

jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #1117: Jul 10, 2014 01:44:01 pm
      Always had strong legs afaik.

Anyway, it's beyond me how he didn't get in that world cup squad. I thought it as soon as the list was made and it's pretty evident they missed a creative player to get some weight off Neymar. Oscar did F**k all, I honestly don't rate him that much.

Can't wait to see him in red again! I miss some quality football.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1118: Jul 10, 2014 02:15:08 pm

Excellent post that. I pretty much agree with most of it in fact. Not too sure about hiding behind his work rate although in England you do get accolades for that and tackling as much as you do with any other aspect of the game - and rightly so IMO - but sometimes it maybe safer to play this way knowing you get praise for it, rather than taking risks in your 'on the ball ability'. I always felt Kuyt turned to his graft in the end when by all accounts he was a bit of a goal scorer prior to Liverpool. I hope Coutinho strikes that balance and leaves his Brazillian gift as a major repertoire of his game which can change things, as you say, his vision is something else and I don't believe Brendan is one of those manager's that coaches something out of a player - I think he likes natural ability to flourish. I just hope he continues to improve. Good player no doubt.

Couple of excellent posts.

I think Coutinho lost his way a little in the second half of last season, especially once Sterling was given the opportunity to shine behind the front two.

I still believe that Coutinho will prove the better of the two in that position but he will need to raise his game a little to do so. I do think he needs to stop trying to force the play as much (both shooting and passing) and make better choices at times, but I think he will develop into an exceptional player if given the chance. Sadly I think he may suffer more than most from our new signings this season, but I have no doubt he has the ability to win back his place and hold it.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1119: Jul 10, 2014 02:29:30 pm
      Couple of excellent posts.

I think Coutinho lost his way a little in the second half of last season, especially once Sterling was given the opportunity to shine behind the front two.

I still believe that Coutinho will prove the better of the two in that position but he will need to raise his game a little to do so. I do think he needs to stop trying to force the play as much (both shooting and passing) and make better choices at times, but I think he will develop into an exceptional player if given the chance. Sadly I think he may suffer more than most from our new signings this season, but I have no doubt he has the ability to win back his place and hold it.

Sorry to pick out just one part mate, but this jumped out at me because I read an interview somewhere where the lad had said BR was telling him to try and force the play more, which is why he was attempting such high risk passes.
      Now, although he's said that I agree that he should pick better times to attempt those passes, rather than doing it for the sake of doing it, which is how it looks to me sometimes.

My main concern with Coutinho is and always has been his shooting.
      I don't know if he's trying to get too much power in his shots, if he's forcing them or if his technique is a bit off. Certainly if he's trying to force them or put too much power in, it will affect his technique.
      He doesn't lack strength in his legs, as can be seen from his passing, so perhaps he needs to get his head up a bit more and try different ways of shooting rather than just trying to put his foot through it, or force a shot (for instance a curler, or through a crowd of players).
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #1120: Jul 16, 2014 09:53:59 pm
      Coutinho vs Brøndby:

CP
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1121: Jul 16, 2014 11:10:12 pm
      Was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch, no doubt about it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,347 posts | 6394 
      Reply #1122: Jul 17, 2014 01:02:42 am
      Good grief.....probably 3 or 4 of those passes, if that's Danny on the end of them they are goals. He looks like he's been working on his craft this summer.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1123: Jul 17, 2014 04:30:16 am
      Really looked like he was in mid-season form. 

And he's only 22!

Can you imagine how good he'll be when he's 25?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,347 posts | 6394 
      Reply #1124: Jul 17, 2014 02:06:00 pm
      Really looked like he was in mid-season form. 

And he's only 22!

Can you imagine how good he'll be when he's 25?

Good thing we didn't pass on him to buy a more "established" "big name" player eh?  ;)
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #1125: Jul 17, 2014 04:10:03 pm

fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #1126: Jul 17, 2014 04:17:12 pm
      Fookin love this player, he will improve too.

Quick Reply