Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who gets your vote for MOTM?

Sturridge
      142 (89.9%)
      Carragher
      3 (1.9%)
      Lucas
      6 (3.8%)
      Johnson
      3 (1.9%)
      Other
      4 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 154

Voting closed: Feb 10, 2013 06:30:53 pm

Man City 2-2 Liverpool: In-Game and Post Match Analysis

Read 37933 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Man City 2-2 Liverpool: In-Game and Post Match Analysis
      Reply #690: Feb 03, 2013 07:47:37 pm
      Extremely pleased with how we played today, barring Pepe's mistake.  We controlled all parts of the pitch and had so many chances early on, we could have won it easily.

Need to maintain that level of performance over the coming weeks, pick up plenty of wins and move up the table.

As someone mentioned earlier, it would be good to see an updated League Season Analysis thread.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,366 posts | 1538 
      Reply #691: Feb 03, 2013 07:48:25 pm
      Like most, seems like we lost 4 point, rather than gained 2 over the last couple of games. Still good to see the lads keep it going for the full 90 today, and keep city on the back foot for longer periods than most have achieved.

Thought it a bit strange to take Sturridge off for Allen when he was having a stormer, and was always a threat ? Striker for a midfielder? bit negative when we were looking the most likely to score.

Understand the Skirtel / Enrique sub, as Enrique was looking leggy after being out for so long. Anyway, two terrific goals by us, and two big fixtures out of the way without too much damage to our inspirations. Need to show the same committment and desire for the rest of the season now. Hmm, how many times have we said that?

Bit more confident after the last two games, going forward, and we still have Coutinho to come in. Once again, perhaps thats where the big performance came from, players looking to hold onto their places, and long may it continue. Well done to all, Yes even Pepe.

We could have had a couple more goals today, but the strikers aren't getting slated for their mistakes.  We had a few misstimed takles in the miidle of the park as well, but their not getting slated either. Just one of those things, he done what he thought was the right thing at the time, as did all the others.
      « Last Edit: Feb 04, 2013 08:33:58 am by Venison 86 »
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,177 posts | 526 
      Reply #692: Feb 03, 2013 07:49:02 pm
      Re their second goal,does it really matter who was at fault,we win,draw and lose as a "team". Everyone has got to be happy with the progress of the team,we are playing really well and it bodes great for the future.

I for one must hold my hands up,and admit that Sturridge is turning out to be a lot better player than I thought he would be.
      Carry on the great work Brendan.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #693: Feb 03, 2013 08:00:29 pm
      Downing was available for the ball today he just never done anything with it from crosses to shooting, the only one in the team, well done the rest

Yeah he was available the problem is he does very little damage with all the time on the ball he has.

Teams know he is harmless and give him a lot of space while focusing on our few real attacking threats. I would do the same if I had to mark Suarez and Sturridge...
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #694: Feb 03, 2013 08:03:36 pm
      Re their second goal,does it really matter who was at fault,we win,draw and lose as a "team". Everyone has got to be happy with the progress of the team,we are playing really well and it bodes great for the future.

I for one must hold my hands up,and admit that Sturridge is turning out to be a lot better player than I thought he would be.
      Carry on the great work Brendan.

You're not the only one to be honest, I didn't think he would be anywhere near as good as he has been.

Seriously feels as though we lost that game today, shows how much we deserved to and should have won the match regardless of City's position in the league. If we play like that in our next 2 games then we will smash West Brom and Swansea, that I have no doubt about!
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #695: Feb 03, 2013 08:03:44 pm
      I still can't believe we didn't get anything from that game! we should have won! we battered them! individual mistakes cost us again but that was a fantastic performance from the lads!

Let's hope we keep it up
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,698 posts | 3937 
      Reply #696: Feb 03, 2013 08:05:13 pm
      It's all about how we react to this now, if we can pick up 6 points in the next 2 games then I honestly believe we'll be pushing for the top 4.

That was an amazing performance, Gerrard and Strurridge in particular for me.
      Redtrader
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | 29 
      Reply #697: Feb 03, 2013 08:05:17 pm
      A very good result an performance today, to dominate away at the champions is impressive. In regard to the equaliser I think it would be harsh to blame Pepe as 9 times out of 10 there would not be a goal, top finish from Aguero.

This week has been a mixed bag, I felt we were outplayed for most of the game at Arsenal, but still should have managed the game better and won after being 2 up. The players and manager should have reacted better and quicker. Today was a hard fought draw, where we impressed, we should have got 4 points out of the 6 had we better game management. Nonetheless decent results given the opposition and I see that now we are with in with a shout for 4th our fanbase is starting to consider our sqaud good enough, something I felt all season.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #698: Feb 03, 2013 08:25:51 pm
      So happy with how we have played today against city away and arsenal away we hammered them both and didn't get what we deserved.

Onwards and upwards in my eyes it's looking rosy in the garden.

Well played redmen,you deserved so much more.:-).xx
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #699: Feb 03, 2013 08:31:12 pm
      Whoa, just woke up after the post match/pints nap (passenger seat on way home). Remember leaping about for Sturridge and then SG's cracker. Chirst that was good. And lifting my jaw off the ground after Pepe's walkabout. Shee, ite. Deserved the win for me, goalkeeping misadventure cost us three points. Think the guys will be dissappointed in the changing room. Picked Sturridge for MOTD. No clue why he was subbed. Good performance boys, walk on, walk on....
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #700: Feb 03, 2013 08:40:36 pm
      Simple fact is, I'm gutted we didn't get all three points and it's made worse by the sloppy nature of the goals we conceded.  Doesn't detract from the performance, even Downing was half-decent (and no more) but he had to put on a better display than he did against Arsenal, mind you, he couldn't have done much worse.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #701: Feb 03, 2013 08:43:52 pm
      Whoa, just woke up after the post match/pints nap (passenger seat on way home). Remember leaping about for Sturridge and then SG's cracker. Chirst that was good. And lifting my jaw off the ground after Pepe's walkabout. Shee, ite. Deserved the win for me, goalkeeping misadventure cost us three points. Think the guys will be dissappointed in the changing room. Picked Sturridge for MOTD. No clue why he was subbed. Good performance boys, walk on, walk on....

Subbed due to injury.
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #702: Feb 03, 2013 08:49:31 pm
      Sturridge has a thigh injury, reading online pepe has made 8 errors this season. this has cost us in points. If we get 17m for carroll, spend that on a keeper in the summer. Saw video of the game and we played a fantastic game, we deserved to win.   
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #703: Feb 03, 2013 09:14:31 pm
      Like many of you I'm absolutely gutted at not having taken the three points. It's the most bitter result of the season because I thought we were absolutely fantastic. I thought we played beautifully at times today. Fair play to Brendan for getting us to that stage, but I've got to be honest, the sub for Skrtel was very negative. He's become a very poor player and I think that had it been Carra or Agger against Aguero, Reina wouldn't have made that stupid error. Skrtel has clearly lost the confidence of the whole team and I regret to say that I think his time is up. Likewise I reluctantly believe Reina seems to be on spent time as well but I would happily still have him at the club for the good future. It was only a few days ago that he gave a fantastic performance against Arsenal. Gutted about the result. Sturridge and Henderson were utterly superb and I thought Gerrard and Lucas were incredibly commanding as well. And a shout out to Johnson and Carra - two phenomenal defensive performances today.

Hold your head up high lads. We need to build on the positives and move forward but I can't deny how impressed I was by the whole team regardless of the bitter result.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #704: Feb 03, 2013 09:48:05 pm
      Im delighted, delighted, why? Because we dropped 4 points in 4 days at Arsenal and Man city and Im gutted.

Played the off the park today, great football for the majority but still the couple of lapses, 2 costly.

Consider Luis was off his best (resckon hes getting tired now needs a break i think) but still but a shift in and would have put me house on him scoring from Sturridges superp pull back. Consider they have not conceeded at home since the turn of the year, consider they are the champs, we fooking bossed them

Skrtel fooked up big time for there 2nd he should have gone all out for that ball but I cant understand why the gaffer went with Martin ahead of Andre? Enrique must have bben tired just back from injury so when he came off why not put Johnno to left back and Andre in at right back as we have been recently rather then change system which was working a treat, ironically pre match I suggested 3 5 2

Big big plus is Sturridge his pace alone is a bonus but hes a player can see a pass and take people on and Stevie G, when he scored the passion was as obvious as it was 6 years ago in Istanbul

Theres a team there no doubt they just need too add a bit of steel at the back and cut out silly errors
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,296 posts | 4942 
      Reply #705: Feb 03, 2013 10:19:31 pm
      Still disappointed with the result but more than pleased with how well we played.

Definitely the best we've played under Brendan and possibly the best I've seen us for a season or two. We didnt look like a side 7 places below the opposition and unlike the Arsenal game I thought we got stronger as the game went on.

On the minus side defensive lapses or mistakes have cost us again and far too many times this season we have given goals, and the initiative, to the opposition. This has to be improved.

On the player front I don't think anyone had a bad game and I know it's normal to slate Downing but i thought he played well and while not an outstanding performance it was a very good one.

Luis and Sturridge were linking well up front and Henderson also had a very good game playing out of position on the left.

Lucas had his best game of the season and Gerrard is putting a run of games together to show why he is still one of our most important players.

All in all a point away to City may be seen as a good result but we deserved more and as I said mistakes cost us the game again today.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #706: Feb 03, 2013 10:30:46 pm
      Very hars on the lads and us fans we deserved all 3 points today.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,309 posts | 768 
      Reply #707: Feb 03, 2013 10:35:33 pm
      Great performance by the lads especially Sturridge and Gerrard, only to see City gifted a goal by Pepe, seems to be making too many clangers lately, costing the side dearly! Honestly think a top four finish extremely difficult, will start moving downwards if we are not careful with all these defensive clangers. Despite some exellent attacking moves, really need to sort out the defence.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      Reply #708: Feb 03, 2013 10:43:34 pm
      Great performance by the lads especially Sturridge and Gerrard, only to see City gifted a goal by Pepe, seems to be making too many clangers lately, costing the side dearly! Honestly think a top four finish extremely difficult, will start moving downwards if we are not careful with all these defensive clangers. Despite some exellent attacking moves, really need to sort out the defence.

Stunned by the "pepes to blame" on here tonight, Skrtel was at fault end of, if he does his job Pepe doesnt need a rush of blood to the head and if Skrtel does his job even if Pepe comes Aguero doesnt score
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #709: Feb 03, 2013 10:48:30 pm
      Stunned by the "pepes to blame" on here tonight, Skrtel was at fault end of, if he does his job Pepe doesnt need a rush of blood to the head and if Skrtel does his job even if Pepe comes Aguero doesnt score

No chance mate.

Aguero was not going anywhere had Reina stayed Aguero would have been closed down.

I have spoken to about a dozen people about this since the game and all are in agreeance albeit a poor decision by Skrtel the blame lies with Reina and he knows that, his reaction after the match shows it even Craig Burley said it during the match a stupid decision by him that cost us a silly goal.

I don't understand the blatant defense of Reina and the absolving of all responsibillity, nobody is saying to sack him and sell him but fans have the right to be as much agrieved by it as they have with Agger's substandard marking of late.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      Reply #710: Feb 03, 2013 11:12:41 pm
      No chance mate.

Aguero was not going anywhere had Reina stayed Aguero would have been closed down.

I have spoken to about a dozen people about this since the game and all are in agreeance albeit a poor decision by Skrtel the blame lies with Reina and he knows that, his reaction after the match shows it even Craig Burley said it during the match a stupid decision by him that cost us a silly goal.

I don't understand the blatant defense of Reina and the absolving of all responsibillity, nobody is saying to sack him and sell him but fans have the right to be as much agrieved by it as they have with Agger's substandard marking of late.

Ive been quite critical of Reina the last few months, but not today. Watch again, Skrtel goes to chase the ball and then stops! He is the protector of that area, if he goes he goes he cant decide to half go then stop. Reina did not need to go but as I said had Skrtel stuck to his guns and gone full out Aguero does not score because Skrtels body blocks his shot. I think Reina went because Skrtel didnt, if Martin goes I bet Pepe moves back to his line
      miguelred
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts |
      Reply #711: Feb 03, 2013 11:34:15 pm
      Ive been quite critical of Reina the last few months, but not today. Watch again, Skrtel goes to chase the ball and then stops!

He stops because Pepe leaves the goal.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #712: Feb 03, 2013 11:34:24 pm

Was disgusted by the posts of "c**t" and "retard" aimed at Pepe.  Those posters need to give their heads a proper wobble.

Thought we were boss today, outplayed the champions on their own turf.  Gutted we didn't come away with 3 points, defensive lapses costing us dearly again.  Still no need for the abuse aimed at Pepe by a couple of posters.

MOTM for me was Danny.  Hope he will be ok for Saturday, claws off him Owl for the midweek International game.

Quick Reply