Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

Liverpool 0-2 West Brom: In-Game and Post Match Grumbling

Read 50369 times
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Re: Liverpool 0-2 West Brom: In-Game and Post Match Grumbling
      Reply #690: Feb 11, 2013 11:39:18 pm
      While we dominated possession, I still think we were sh*t, didn't look like threatening at all when we went forward, some unconvincing and wayward passing all game. You could even hear the crowd getting pissed and groaning every 2 minutes, it was a F***ing dire performance to be honest. Gerrard missing the pen summed our season up really, dominate the game but don't get the points.

Only player I was really disappointed with was Borini, he's so sh*t on the ball. Off the ball he runs like a F***ing sprinter then when he gets the ball he can't travel 2metres with it, I know he's still not 100% but ffs put some F***ing effort in and make something happen!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #691: Feb 11, 2013 11:45:27 pm

I don't need to bang on about Rodgers' inexperience, my question marks about his ability to motivate the players, or whether the players have much respect for him.

The League Table is doing all the talk for me.

Carry on taking the wrong players off, and playing two central midfielders just in front of our centre-backs and we'll be lucky to finish in the top half.

This.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #692: Feb 11, 2013 11:47:00 pm
      How much do you reckon they're worth now AZ ?

Don't know now...did not know back then,..just remembering the gnashing of teeth when people assumed that FSG was going to sell off the best pair of CB's in all of football....like I said amazing how 7 months later it all changes.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #693: Feb 11, 2013 11:51:15 pm
      Game was poor tonight.

Lucas and Gerrard far too deep.  Substitutions blew my mind.   All of them were bad ones.

I don't need to bang on about Rodgers' inexperience, my question marks about his ability to motivate the players, or whether the players have much respect for him.

Carry on taking the wrong players off, and playing two central midfielders just in front of our centre-backs and we'll be lucky to finish in the top half.

Oh, and for about the 30th game this season - Great defending from set-pieces.

Sums up everything I've been wanting to post but for the fear of being called a kneejerker by some. Nail on head mate.

That elusive top half win says it all as well. Draws against a run down Arsenal and an imploded Man City shouldn't gloss over the past 8 months.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #694: Feb 12, 2013 12:01:06 am
      Game was poor tonight.

Lucas and Gerrard far too deep.  Substitutions blew my mind.   All of them were bad ones.

Oh, and for about the 30th game this season - Great defending from set-pieces.

How did he take the wrong players off? Shelvey and Hendo where poor tonight (although to be fair, both where playing out of position).
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #695: Feb 12, 2013 12:06:01 am
      How did he take the wrong players off? Shelvey and Hendo where poor tonight (although to be fair, both where playing out of position).

Thought Henderson was one of our best players to be fair. Bringing Borini on dropping Luis deep and changing the shape weakened us without doubt.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #696: Feb 12, 2013 12:07:48 am
      Last season if we had a game like this - dominating, creating chances - only to lose the game on the opponent's first chance, we would be unlucky, and the players to blame for not taking their chances.

This season it's tactical... it's something for Rodgers, the young unexperienced manager, to learn how to deal with.

If it's a tactical issue, then it's nothing new, cause the same happened last season. I just wonder why the judgement is different.

Yep, though to play devils advocate you put the blame on Kenny and now appear to be giving Brendan a bit of a get out here, Diego.

The fact was it was all sh*te today for me. Yes we dominated the ball and had lots of shots but they were happy for us to do so knowing that eventually they would get a chance.

The atmosphere was non existant and that set the tone of the game for me. Slow, flat, methodical, uninspired. No drive from midfield at all, our full backs were so bad tonight it belied belief. Suarez was poor and Shelvey was poorer, Agger to slow on the ball, lost his man from the corner, and frail when faced with Lukaku. Reina should have stopped that second though.

It was just very bad. The subs didn't add anything either, Borini worried me greatly. He has missed some sitters for us, no doubt.

Just completely flat and we deserved what we got. West Brom though got 3 points more than they deserved but F**k it someone might as well have them.

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,526 posts | 1515 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #697: Feb 12, 2013 12:11:48 am
      Agger was shocking tonight, and was to blame for both goals. He seriously needs to take a long hard look at himself because he seems to have lost a yard of pace ā€“ and the ability to defend looks alien to him. Keeps losing his man in the box, and Lukaku went passed him like diarrhoea down a greasy colon. On top of that, when Enrique plays so poorly, and Johnson plays his worse game for us, you canā€™t expect much from a game. Ironic isnā€™t it that our best defender is 35 years of age and retiring. Weā€™re in trouble, because right now, Iā€™d say on that showing, we need a brand new back four. Johnson was that bad, I think heā€™s ill and would not be surprised if heā€™s coming down with something. He looked shell shocked out there

No exaggeration, in all my years of supporting Liverpool, that result hurt, and it was one of the most sickening. We are missing that ā€œscrew you - balls to the wall - they shall not passā€ mentality. We need men, not over paid fairies. Next game I want Tommy Smith to give the team talk.

3 home wins on the bounce, scoring 12 and conceding 0. Outplaying Arsenal and the Champions Man City at their grounds, and we put in a performance like that!? Boriniā€™s miss, Gerrardā€™s penalty miss, even though it was a good save, it wasnā€™t struck hard enough. And we canā€™t defend set pieces anymore.

90 minutes to ruin not only our season, but all the hard work over the last 8 weeks. How many misplaced passes? And whatā€™s with the total lack of urgency? Play it from the back by all means, but play it with conviction. Even the crowd were getting frustrated.

Even Suarez was poor today, and donā€™t get me started on Shelvey, Iā€™ll go on record now, and say he should not play for us again, because he wasnā€™t poor ā€“ he was nothing. Sunken shoulders, sulking face, jog on son! And take your attitude with you.

But we always do this. Does this look familiar to anyone? Just when we think weā€™ve turned the corner ā€“ we self destruct.

So we lose Sturridge ā€“ one player. So what do you do? Stick Borini up there and keep the system thatā€™s worked so well. Whatā€™s the gaffer do? Play Shelvey and completely re-work the set up. Because we lost one player? Sorry but, isnā€™t that what back up strikers are supposed to do? Step in? If Borini was short on confidence, heā€™s got none now. Boss got it wrong from the start today. Yes we missed Sturridge tonight, but screw me with a cactus, that performance was totally inept.

Shelvey, Agger, Enrique, Johnson, I honestly think should be suspended a weekā€™s wages.

Thereā€™s a huge difference between bossing possession and dominating the opposition, compared to the opposition sitting back, letting you play, and then picking you off. We need to learn the difference. And quick.

WBA 5 v 0 LFC

Goodnight
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #698: Feb 12, 2013 12:13:30 am
      Maybe Rodgers did and has been getting a few things wrong but you can't throw the motivation card at him.

I think at times we have a bunch of underserving, overpaid pre madonas who decide to turn up and play in the big broadcast games and when  the world is watching. Never mind the 8pm Monday night kick off against the "little" West Brom.

We saw commitment, determination and desire to win and challenge agianst City and Arsenal last week, we saw it against all "top 4" teams last year with Kenny in charge only for us to F**k up against smaller sides at home too. So then do we also say Kenny could not motivate the players too? Or is this only the downfall of Rodgers?

I think each individual tonight needs to take a long hard look at themselves and that performance and then perhaps glance at the league table and realise they are F***ing playing for Liverpool football club!
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #699: Feb 12, 2013 12:19:10 am
      We saw commitment, determination and desire to win and challenge agianst City and Arsenal last week, we saw it against all "top 4" teams last year with Kenny in charge only for us to F**k up against smaller sides at home too. So then do we also say Kenny could not motivate the players too? Or is this only the downfall of Rodgers?

We haven't had a win against a top table side at all this season and as I said before a draw against a defensively weak Arsenal or a completely destroyed Manchester City shouldn't be overhyped. The draw against City seemed good at the time, but even Southampton managed to beat what we couldn't.

If Suarez was in the same form for Kenny as he is for Rodgers it would have been a completely different story. Guaranteed.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #700: Feb 12, 2013 12:20:15 am
      You've answered you're own question , Rodgers got his tactics wrong again .
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #701: Feb 12, 2013 12:22:53 am
      Well this should have been a walkover but far from it. You never know what team will show up  for the reds so much inconsistancy. When danny mills talks about drugs in the epl it makes you wonder if any doping is going on.Saurez seems like he is exhausted mentally.Well we had red flags when liverpool have a hard time beating mansfield, and then getting beaten by oldham.Its sad as liverpool has spent millions on underperforming players 
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #702: Feb 12, 2013 12:25:16 am
       I am so angry for a team wearing our RED at Anfield to let a 2nd rate team like West Brom beat us 2-0.I predicted 5-0 so I suppose I got it right over 2 matches.Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought West Brom would beat us twice.Some of our lads have to stand up and be counted,they cannot be allowed to play like world beaters one week and like a crowd of kids the next week. :f_steam:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #703: Feb 12, 2013 12:28:30 am
      We haven't had a win against a top table side at all this season and as I said before a draw against a defensively weak Arsenal or a completely destroyed Manchester City shouldn't be overhyped. The draw against City seemed good at the time, but even Southampton managed to beat what we couldn't.

If Suarez was in the same form for Kenny as he is for Rodgers it would have been a completely different story. Guaranteed.

Spot on that, I argued the same all last season. The lack of goals we scored last season was a freak that's for sure when put against the number of penalties missed and posts / bars struck. You could back this argument up with the results in the cup, showing we had the capability to beat the bigger sides, consistency was all we lacked then.

Now our defence seems completely incapable of defending set pieces, are exposed to counter attacks constantly. So bad has it become that we've gone from having the 2nd best defensive record in the league to people claiming we need to change the entire back 4, these are the same players.

I feel a lot of people will be feeling quite lost tonight on that performance and when you sink to this kind of level it's very difficult to gain belief. A lot of confidence will be lost and searching for any faith in that dressing room might be a difficult task, test of character for the lads and Brendan here on in for the league campaign because when you've got very little to play for performance levels sink and there's an awful lot of these (Brendan included) now playing / performing for their future, not all will pass the test.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,046 posts | 3352 
      Reply #704: Feb 12, 2013 12:31:57 am
      F***ing hurting tonight, was a defeat that really got to me.

Tonight was just a case of our most overrated players having some very poor displays. And West Brom capitalising upon some very average defending.

We weren't tactically outsmarted because we had plenty of chances to win the game. And had Foster not played the best game I've ever seen from him, I'd probably be sitting here buzzing cos my team would of had three points in the bag. Foster won the game for the Baggies, not Clarke getting the better of Rodgers. But it still doesn't hide the fact that we had some very poor players out there tonight. And if anything in terms of tactics that can be thrown at Brendan's door was bringing off the wrong players (apart from Shelvey who was, as usual, F***ing sh*t).

I think it also showed that even with the acquisition of Sturridge, we're still light up front. And if I had my way, we'd be even lighter come the summer because Borini would of been fu**ed off for good by then. Carroll returning, Borini leaving. I'd be happier with that.

It's too easy to say it was a bad day at the office, but I suppose that's what it'll go down as.

Onto the European game in midweek and hopefully a good result there ahead of Swansea next weekend.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #705: Feb 12, 2013 12:35:27 am
      F***ing hurting tonight, was a defeat that really got to me.

Tonight was just a case of our most overrated players having some very poor displays. And West Brom capitalising upon some very average defending.

We weren't tactically outsmarted because we had plenty of chances to win the game. And had Foster not played the best game I've ever seen from him, I'd probably be sitting here buzzing cos my team would of had three points in the bag. Foster won the game for the Baggies, not Clarke getting the better of Rodgers. But it still doesn't hide the fact that we had some very poor players out there tonight. And if anything in terms of tactics that can be thrown at Brendan's door was bringing off the wrong players (apart from Shelvey who was, as usual, f**king sh*t).

I think it also showed that even with the acquisition of Sturridge, we're still light up front. And if I had my way, we'd be even lighter come the summer because Borini would of been fu**ed off for good by then. Carroll returning, Borini leaving. I'd be happier with that.

It's too easy to say it was a bad day at the office, but I suppose that's what it'll go down as.

Onto the European game in midweek and hopefully a good result there ahead of Swansea next weekend.

Agree with everything.

Don't think Andy has any chance of coming back again though, at least in scraps like this he would demand the attention of 2 center halfes Borini demanded the attention of no one.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6954 
      Reply #706: Feb 12, 2013 12:50:34 am

Shelvey was poor and did deserve to come off.

He shouldn't have taken Downing and Henderson off.  Henderson was having a decent game, and Downing does at least have some semblance of ability.

He brought on Coutinho for Downing late on, after saying the other day that Coutinho was nowhere near match fit.

He also brought on Borini and Sterling, two lightweight kids against a physical West Brom side.

He was right to have taken off Shelvey - but he should have pushed Gerrard forward in his place to link up with Suarez, and he could even have brought 'Sideways Allen' on to play that holding role.

As it was he took two players off who didn't need to come off, and brought on three players who did nothing but make it easier for West Brom to get the result.

Tactically naive.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #707: Feb 12, 2013 12:54:20 am
       Tactically naive my arse, you're a mod on here and fair enough fella but you do talk some utter bollocks sometimes.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,351 posts | 6394 
      Reply #708: Feb 12, 2013 12:59:24 am
      Taking Henderson and Shelvey off was a good plan in my opinion, he brought on two attacking players to try and get the 3 points.

He took Downing off late when it appeared he was getting desparate for some more firepower and playmaking.

He could have also subbed Enrique and Glen but we only  have 3 subs now don't we and it looks like he thought it much more important to win than to play defensively for a draw. Bottom line is that Agger should have been able to keep those goals from happening. Stevie should have put away a penalty that would have (at that point) put the game away for us and Suarez was much too wasteful with many of his chances to be fair.

Stevie looked a bit tired to me and I think it showed in his penalty and in his play towards the end of the game.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #709: Feb 12, 2013 01:01:36 am
       If only Brendan was as tactically astute as some of the people on here we'd be all right.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,351 posts | 6394 
      Reply #710: Feb 12, 2013 01:02:56 am
      Mick, the way some folks are talking about Clark I can't believe West Brom isn't challenging for the title right now.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #711: Feb 12, 2013 01:08:38 am
      Mick, the way some folks are talking about Clark I can't believe West Brom isn't challenging for the title right now.

If Hodgson was still in charge there some of them would be praising him up and saying he "owned" our manager. For many of them, they haven't got the bollocks to simply come out and say they want rid of the boss, so they take every available opportunity to put the boot into him. It's a sickening sight to be totally honest, but there it is.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,351 posts | 6394 
      Reply #712: Feb 12, 2013 01:09:54 am

If Hodgson was still in charge there some of them would be praising him up and saying he "owned" our manager. For many of them, they haven't got the bollocks to simply come out and say they want rid of the boss, so they take every available opportunity to put the boot into him. It's a sickening sight to be totally honest, but there it is.

I'd have much more respect for people if they would just admit it and move on. I agree with you though, all of the innuendo and posturing is what gets annoying.

Quick Reply