Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Henderson or Allen? One? Both? Or None of Them

Read 10712 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Henderson or Allen? One? Both? Or None of Them
      Reply #23: Feb 20, 2013 09:08:57 pm
      Like every football debate, the Allen vs Hendo comparison is it's too influenced by recent performance, which is not exactly the best indicator for future performance. The subjective impression it leaves us of both players, however, is that of one being destined for greatness, while the other is a worthless bag of sh*t.

Henderson was non-existant for a whole season and is now doing better. He's not fantastic, he's not a key player, he's far from being a 'success' at LFC, but he's doing better. Like with Downing, any improvement from Hendo leaves a great impression and is often exaggerated.

Allen, on the other hand, started the season playing fantastically well for us. Indeed, a lot of people were actually saying Allen put Hendo's performance in perspective, given how rapidly he adapted, being both young midfielders and all. His performances have since declined abruptly and the general feeling is of decadency, which is being as exaggerated as Hendo's improvement.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #24: Feb 21, 2013 04:56:26 am
      Like every football debate, the Allen vs Hendo comparison is it's too influenced by recent performance, which is not exactly the best indicator for future performance. The subjective impression it leaves us of both players, however, is that of one being destined for greatness, while the other is a worthless bag of sh*t.

Henderson was non-existant for a whole season and is now doing better. He's not fantastic, he's not a key player, he's far from being a 'success' at LFC, but he's doing better. Like with Downing, any improvement from Hendo leaves a great impression and is often exaggerated.

Allen, on the other hand, started the season playing fantastically well for us. Indeed, a lot of people were actually saying Allen put Hendo's performance in perspective, given how rapidly he adapted, being both young midfielders and all. His performances have since declined abruptly and the general feeling is of decadency, which is being as exaggerated as Hendo's improvement.

I agree with that

I think both players are good players, Allen was a colossus at Swansea and I'm a firm believer that class doesn't just disappear and his form will come back. Sometimes things like this happen. He knows he hasn’t played to his best ability but we don’t know what’s going on in the lads life?

Hendo IMO is a little different, I thought he was OK at Sunderland but nothing worth the price we paid, however I have been a fan of him since we got him and believe he is adapting and still has time on his side to do it. His last 2 goals were impressive to say the least. If he can show persistence like he did for the arsenal goal then he will become a good player for us and it’s a testament to him that he dug his heals in to prove Rodgers wrong when he was told to find another club.

I’m not writing either of them off
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #25: Feb 21, 2013 05:33:09 am
      I'd train Henderson to play DM as competition for Lucas. Henderson has stamina and strength. Not sure his attacking attributes makes him an AM. Lucas was formerly an attacking midfielder. Could work though with Henderson for DM position.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #26: Feb 21, 2013 06:31:36 am
      I see a great player in Henderson.He has shown far too many glimpses of that,just needs to get a bit consistent and that will happen with time.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,847 posts | 6787 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #27: Feb 21, 2013 07:55:15 am
      I wouldn't be fussed with either of them leaving in the Summer, as long as we got in replacements for them and got some good quid out of their sales to buy their replacements.

For me Hendo out of the two, if I was forced to keep one, would be the one who stays. At lease he runs his bollocks off every game and gives us that energy in the middle of the pitch. With Allen, he's gone backwards since he first came here and for me personally, he's too lightweight for the DM position.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #28: Feb 21, 2013 09:08:35 am
      Bang on.

If we can get to the level were Henderson or Allen can come off the bench beacause we have consistently better players in the team then were heading the right way

Correct pal if we continue to improve the squad and they are fighting to get a regular place in the squad never mind first 11 we will be on the road back to where we belong. Yes their young but the price tags in which we paid for them are very high for players unproven and soo young.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #29: Feb 21, 2013 10:29:58 am
      It would have to be Henderson for me. He's still raw but the signs are there that he has what it takes. He works his bollocks off and gets stuck in when required to do so. He's a very skilful player but he needs to improve his confidence, the presence of Gerrard leaves Allen and Henderson in awe if i'm honest.

Allen did have a good start but that was only when he was standing in for Lucas as a more defensive style midfielder. It's only when Lucas returned that we saw how limited Allen actually is in an offensive capacity. He's way too lightweight and i see more guts with my 5 year old lads on a Sunday morning than i do in him.

Another player that looked the business with Swansea but failed when moved on. Just look at Pratley at Bolton and Sigurdsson at Spurs. Please don't bring up his passing ratio from last Season, it's F***ing pointless as has already been proven this Season, we need passers that do damage, not passers that increase our possession ratio with meaningless 5 yarders.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,639 posts | 3864 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #30: Feb 21, 2013 10:34:49 am
      Henderson, Allen, Downing.

They would all make good squad players next season.
      Don't think any of them should be starting games on a regular basis just yet.
      Two of those are still very young players and deserve patience from us.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #31: Feb 21, 2013 11:27:46 am
      Henderson, Allen, Downing.

They would all make good squad players next season.
      Don't think any of them should be starting games on a regular basis just yet.
      Two of those are still very young players and deserve patience from us.

Fully agree.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #32: Feb 21, 2013 02:54:28 pm
      Its all right to take gamble on one young promising player but Liverpool have did it for many e.g. allen, hendo and carroll with a total price of 65Mil +....Coutinho is a gamble but he has played for one of the biggest teams in the world in Inter and we only bought him for 8mil while Sturridge still youngish at 23 for 15mil has played for england at all levels and played in the premier league for 3 or 4 years now!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #33: Feb 21, 2013 04:03:03 pm
      Personally I'd get rid of both, both were over paid for and neither of them will be capable of making any sort of vital impact. Neither can take the game by the scruff of the neck, they only play well when everybody else around them is playing well IMO.

Completely agree. We need to be looking for someone to fill the role Gerrard used to fill as an AM. Someone who'll take the game by the scruff of the neck and make things happen. With respect to both players, neither Henderson nor Allen are leaders on the pitch and that's what we need.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #34: Feb 21, 2013 04:56:14 pm
      Neither of them have got what it takes to get us to the next level, could even prevent us from doing so.
      chris__nuttall
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #35: Feb 23, 2013 07:22:54 am
      Allen last season had the best pass success rate in the Prem last year. Not too sure where he is now but most of his passes are either sideways or to the central defender. Eevn I whose first touch goes further than most people can kick it could have similar stats with the time that he got.

Henderson I think he could be a very good central defender as someone who runs around and gets very little reward or recognition for what he does.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #36: Feb 24, 2013 01:34:47 am
      Allen last season had the best pass success rate in the Prem last year. Not too sure where he is now but most of his passes are either sideways or to the central defender. Eevn I whose first touch goes further than most people can kick it could have similar stats with the time that he got.

Henderson I think he could be a very good central defender as someone who runs around and gets very little reward or recognition for what he does.
      Too drunk?  ;D
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #37: Feb 24, 2013 06:45:18 am
      Another player that looked the business with Swansea but failed when moved on.

Far too early to say he's failed mate, he's not even played a full season. Besides he's what, 22-23? Coming into a team who are underperforming was always going to be a difficult. Hopefully next season when we sort our sh*t out he will show us all why Brendan rates him so highly.

DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #38: Feb 24, 2013 08:03:05 am
      yes we might have overpaid for some of these players but how much do you think we can actually get for them now?  and then with that considerable less money, who can we buy that is 'first team quality?'  no i think these guys are here to stay.  we groom them, and let them flourish with us
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #39: Feb 24, 2013 09:53:51 am
      Both.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #40: Feb 24, 2013 11:06:41 am
      Got to be Hendo on current form.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 895 
      Reply #41: Feb 24, 2013 11:56:46 am
      actually i wouldnt play any of them in a home game against a lesser team. I would rather player coutinho/sterling/assaidi/suso who are more attacking players then both of them.
      In a more physical or a challenging game, Hendo and shelvey make more sense since they both are work horses and better defensive.
      Im aware that all of them are not competing for the same position but id rather that we change our formation according to opposition, then playing players just for the sake of a formation setup.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #42: Feb 24, 2013 12:11:22 pm
      While Henderson has improved, id still rather have none of them. Im sure they will be great for some other team, but not just good enough for what Liverpool aspires to achieve. We shouldnt settle for second best solutions. If we want to compete along with the best, we really need better
      chris__nuttall
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #43: Feb 24, 2013 04:26:57 pm

Whoops must have been, supposed to say defensive central midfielder
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #44: Feb 24, 2013 04:55:54 pm
      I wouldn't be fussed with either of them leaving in the Summer, as long as we got in replacements for them and got some good quid out of their sales to buy their replacements.

For me Hendo out of the two, if I was forced to keep one, would be the one who stays. At lease he runs his bollocks off every game and gives us that energy in the middle of the pitch. With Allen, he's gone backwards since he first came here and for me personally, he's too lightweight for the DM position.

This is how I feel.

Hendo, I always felt, has the ability to be a top player or us. You can see it in him but he lacks that maturity and experience but also confidence.

Allen is too poor in marking opposition players. He lets them get last him and he makes clumsy efforts to catch up to them and gives away free kicks.

Wouldn't write either off but I have more hope for Hendo. Would be interesting to see Allen pushed higher up though. We often lack a player to keep the ball up the pitch and probe so he could be that guy.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #45: Feb 24, 2013 05:37:48 pm
      I don't rate either of them really but if i had to pick one it would be Allen.
      He reads the game far better than Henderson & he also wins tackles

Henderson does neither he just runs hundreds of miles every game...

Quick Reply