Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Henderson or Allen? One? Both? Or None of Them

Read 10712 times
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Henderson or Allen? One? Both? Or None of Them
      Feb 20, 2013 03:29:39 pm
      Both arrived with around the same price tag (15/16 mil) but havent reached their full potential as of yet. Allen should signs at the start  but has faded while after Henderson settling in season his game is getting better especially since the turn of the new year but will he or allen turn into very good/world class players?
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Re: Henderson or Allen? One? Both? Or None of Them
      Reply #1: Feb 20, 2013 04:47:07 pm
      I don't think both will turn into world class players. Still both showed some promises to be good squad player to have. Hendo is a good utility player to have. He can play through the wings , at AM, and CM if asked to. Same with Allen. But the problem is they don't have the attribute to flourish in those positions.

Hendo is more creative than Allen, while Allen have more defensive capabilities. Problem with Allen is he don't have the creativity or flair needed to be playing alongside a DM. He could be a decent back up to Lucas for sure. But still he really struggles against a quality mid field pressing higher.

If are going to really push to the top level both are not good enough to be first team players in my opinion.
      Bier
      Reply #2: Feb 20, 2013 07:15:25 pm
      I still don't know what happened with Allen, he started this season really well, looked to have real playmaker skills.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3: Feb 20, 2013 07:25:15 pm
      I don't think either will become world class players but I think both may become very good prem players if they get the support and patience of the club and fans.

I think both need to be a little more adventurous in their play and maybe toughen up a bit, but I think they have both shown signs of having the quality to make it with a top club like Liverpool. 
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #4: Feb 20, 2013 07:27:31 pm
      i agree that henderson is can play anywhere in the midfield and no doubt that he tries to give 100% every game runs his socks off but doesnt change a game or do anything great. but i dont think allen is good enough to play DM gets over run over and overpowered to much and he  doesnt do anything to change a game ie assist or goal
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #5: Feb 20, 2013 07:27:44 pm
      I like Hendo, I've been a fan of him since we got him and I've been happy with him this season.

Not sure about Allen, sincerely hope he can make it but he needs to add a few more things to his game than passing to make it here.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #6: Feb 20, 2013 07:44:37 pm
      Hendo - keep watching there's a real player in there.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7: Feb 20, 2013 07:51:16 pm
      Henderson has become a good player for us and will become an even better one.

Allen just has not done a thing for us since his move but I wouldnt write him off yet. Could be a good squad player for us if nothing else
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #8: Feb 20, 2013 07:54:50 pm

Allen just has not done a thing for us since his move but I wouldnt write him off yet. Could be a good squad player for us if nothing else

Much the same as I see it Brian.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #9: Feb 20, 2013 08:01:12 pm
      For now, both.  Jordan has improved on his first season and I'm sure Allen will do the same next season.  I'm not saying they are going to be world beaters but they are a long way off their prime so still have time on their side.

We can't afford to keep offloading players who don't settle in their first season, especially ones so young.  Just because they've done well at previous Clubs or at Youth International level doesn't mean they will all hit form straight away at a new Club.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #10: Feb 20, 2013 08:02:42 pm
      For now, both.  Jordan has improved on his first season and I'm sure Allen will do the same next season.  I'm not saying they are going to be world beaters but they are a long way off their prime so still have time on their side.

We can't afford to keep offloading players who don't settle in their first season, especially ones so young.  Just because they've done well at previous Clubs or at Youth International level doesn't mean they will all hit form straight away at a new Club.

Bang on.

If we can get to the level were Henderson or Allen can come off the bench beacause we have consistently better players in the team then were heading the right way
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #11: Feb 20, 2013 08:10:02 pm
      Bang on.

If we can get to the level were Henderson or Allen can come off the bench beacause we have consistently better players in the team then were heading the right way

Absolutely mate.  We're very light on numbers as it is so need to build on what we have.  There are enough players who will be leaving in the summer without selling players who are actually playing.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #12: Feb 20, 2013 08:19:07 pm
      Allen.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,458 posts | 2852 
      Reply #13: Feb 20, 2013 08:26:27 pm
      Henderson is a good player but he should really be a squad player from next season.

I'd sell Allen asap.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #14: Feb 20, 2013 08:30:59 pm
      Personally I'd get rid of both, both were over paid for and neither of them will be capable of making any sort of vital impact. Neither can take the game by the scruff of the neck, they only play well when everybody else around them is playing well IMO.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #15: Feb 20, 2013 08:34:28 pm
      Personally I'd get rid of both, both were over paid for and neither of them will be capable of making any sort of vital impact. Neither can take the game by the scruff of the neck, they only play well when everybody else around them is playing well IMO.

Well summed up in my opinion.

Both also pretty much square pegs in round holes. They neither have the attacking ability to play at the point of midfield or defensive capability to play as the anchor man. Without either of these qualities putting the them as the middle man of the 3 basically puts them there to be carried and why I agree most with 7KK7 on this: "they only play well when everybody else around them is playing well IMO."
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #16: Feb 20, 2013 08:36:15 pm
      It's all well and good saying get rid of both of them, and I'm sure 7KK7 would add Downing to that but who the hell is going to replace them?

Were trying to build a squad here as well as a first team and we will need players like Jordan and Joe.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #17: Feb 20, 2013 08:37:55 pm
      It's all well and good saying get rid of both of them, and I'm sure 7KK7 would add Downing to that but who the hell is going to replace them?

Were trying to build a squad here as well as a first team and we will need players like Jordan and Joe.

Understand your point Si but I think players of the quality of Henderson and Allen are available on much cheaper wages with also much higher ability. Squad players at best, but even there I think there are better options.

Having said that there's no way in hell that Brendan will sell Allen.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18: Feb 20, 2013 08:45:35 pm
      Joe Allen is a far better player who should be playing more in his best position. Instead of intangible talent or potential, we have actually seen how well he's capable for us, it's just a case of getting the best out of him again. And it won't happen playing him in front of the CBs or as a number 10.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #19: Feb 20, 2013 08:47:39 pm

Allen was MOTM in nearly all of our first few games of the season and our player of the month, Hendo with all his improvement hardly gets a MOTM award. Of course I'm not basing my judgement on MOTMs but it's an indicator of how unfair that statement of "Allen never done anything" is. When he was playing in his best position, he was doing well. Started to play out of position and his level of performance fell absurdly. Since then, he's been mis-used and mis-managed - only plays in someone else's positions, or coming on as a sub - usually a meaningless sub.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #20: Feb 20, 2013 08:49:08 pm
      I would actually keep both and nurture them to play different styles of the game.

Lets be honest with ourselves here.  We are not RM or PSG or Man city or a team with unlimited resources.. and add that with FFP in the future.  We will unfortunately cant field a squad of superstars anymore so a mix of superstars and 'talent' will be at play.  I think hendo and allen is great for the not crazy on the salary but able to fill out our squad type of players.  I rate both and till the day we have real true better options; I would keep both.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #21: Feb 20, 2013 08:49:56 pm

I would add Downing to that list, as would everybody else.

Yes but what good is it trying to build a squad with the likes of them 3? None of them have the ability to come off the bench and dig us out of a hole or able to kill the opposition off. There are many players out there that could replace them, it wouldn't exactly be like trying to replace Suarez or Gerrard. We could put the money to better use, them 3 cost near on £60m, the amount of better players out there we could have gotten for the same amount is clear for all to see. We may not be in the Champions League but we still have that appeal to players, even the top players because of the history of the club and the likes of Gerrard and Suarez who are at the club. If we paid just a few million for each of them then yeah sure, keep them to add that extra bit of depth to the squad, never know they might have been better then because they wouldn't have the price tag over their heads but for the money we paid, if we are having them to "build a squad" is not good, for that sort of money I expect them to be dominating games and having the sort of impact Suarez and Sturridge make. To build a squad you get in the cheaper players, the likes of Michu for example who can turn out to be an absolute steal. It's not even as though them 3 players are coming from another country, they know the Premiership, they know what to expect but when it comes to proving themselves they just prove that their old teams are laughing all the way to the bank with our money.

They could well turn out to be top players but for the money we paid they need to be a top player now, clearly the club see's it this way too or else they wouldn't be prepared to spend that much money on them.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,281 posts | 931 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #22: Feb 20, 2013 08:55:41 pm
      Very strange, Allen started well, Henderson started poorly but has improved, between them the might be one decent player!.

Quick Reply