Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Henderson or Allen? One? Both? Or None of Them

Read 10807 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Re: Henderson or Allen? One? Both? Or None of Them
      Reply #46: Feb 24, 2013 05:47:38 pm
      The issue with Allen I find is where does he fit in? He's too lightweight to cover for Lucas and he isn't creative enough to be cover for Gerrard. At least Henderson has proven that he has a place in the squad - very handy player away from home with his workrate and his ability to keep the ball. I don't think it's a coincidence that we've fallen apart in some of the games he's been taken off in.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #47: Feb 24, 2013 05:56:09 pm
      ^^
      Trouble with Henderson especially at home is he totally overawed playing for us. He try's so
      hard but he just doesn't know what he's doing most of the time. I have to say every time he's
      been taken off he deserved to be taken off.
      I don't think we've fallen apart in any game this season more like just lost concentration for 10
      minutes & that's all it takes.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #48: Feb 24, 2013 06:11:50 pm
      Henderson is getting better, agree with some of the comments here about him trying too hard. But he has the talent, he has to believe in himself.
      If Hendo plays for the rest of the season we will see a top player emerging, he just needs to add a bit more composure and slow down a little bit, a bit more courage....but good signs.

Not sure about Allen.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #49: Feb 24, 2013 10:32:19 pm
      I have always been a Henderson admirer. I know that he hasn't always been consistent but he has come on a lot this season. He never let criticism bother him too much and he always try's his best. Has to be remembered that he is still very young and he is progressing at a good rate. I believe his experience in the summer at the World Cup has helped him drastically and I have a lot of belief in him.

Allen came with a decent reputation from Swansea. He has dropped off at late and, again, hasn't been consistent. However, you don't become a bad player over night. I have every confidence in Brendan and I feel that he knows how to handle Allen. He hasn't played a lot off late but I thought we missed him when he came off against Zenit. I thought he played very well in that game.

Overall, I would keep both, with Hendo being my preferred choice. I do, however, believe it would be a good idea to get another midfielder in. I feel Hendo will play just as much as he has this season, next season. Allen may play a similar role, coming off the bench and makes a good squad player. We need at least 1 midfielder, in my opinion.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #50: Feb 24, 2013 11:29:20 pm
      Based on this season for Liverpool anyways, Henderson.

Henderson has added a lot to the midfield this season, espeically in the running side of things. Stevie can't do as much running as he used to and Henderson is covering here, as he is kind of with Lucas as he tries to get more and more mobility after his injuries. Another thing Henderson is adding to his game is goals, he has a few now this season. As Semps said, he defo is more confident and you can see that by the increased number of forward runs he makes himself, runs with the ball, attacking through balls, and shots on goal. Confidence really is key, and also an actual defined role in the current midfield set up.

Allen just reminds me of Henderson last season. Flashes of brilliance, but too many safe options taken when a more expansive option would have been better.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #51: Feb 27, 2013 09:33:27 pm
      Henderson has added a lot to the midfield this season, espeically in the running side of things.

This is Liverpool Football Club, not Liverpool Long Distance Marathon Club.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #52: Feb 27, 2013 10:32:29 pm

Great insight :roll:

You know, generally the midfielders will cover the most ground when playing in midfield, hence the most running.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #53: Feb 27, 2013 10:32:47 pm
      Henderson.
      Some days Yes.
      Some days  Maybe.

Allen.   Most days No.   Doesnt cut it .
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #54: Feb 28, 2013 11:35:30 am
      Lets be Honest its neither is it

Could you see either of them running out to play for Utd or Chelsea?

Nah me neither

Both appear to be great lads n that but if they ain't good enough for
      our competitors then they ain't good enough for us either..
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #55: Feb 28, 2013 11:40:05 am
      Lets be Honest its neither is it

Could you see either of them running out to play for Utd or Chelsea?

Nah me neither

Both appear to be great lads n that but if they ain't good enough for
      our competitors then they ain't good enough for us either..

Are you serious?

You see players like Anderson, Mikel, Bosingwa, Fabio, O'Shea, Gibson, McEachran (and that's just to name a few) all getting runouts for the same two teams you mentioned - and they're all worse than Henderson and Allen.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #56: Feb 28, 2013 11:46:00 am
      ^^^

Totally serious mate just cos they have a few players that we wouldn't want does not mean Allen or Henderson are good enough..

They are NOT

Plus with the size of our squad they are much closer to playing week in week out..
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #57: Feb 28, 2013 12:14:25 pm
      Henderson actually does a really good job for us - or haven't you been watching us of late?

He plays some key passes, has a Kuyt-like workrate and is always available for a pass.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #58: Feb 28, 2013 01:56:45 pm
      Hendo is going to be a very good player for sure. The question is to know how good he will become. If he can be as good as someone like Milner it will be fine but he can become a Lampard: an AM, a efficient passer and which scores(although Lampard is a too good a beast at scoring frequently). Allen on the other hand is the kind of player who needs to dictate the game and tempo and if he fails to do it we're screwed. Allen needs to show more guts, go forward more often and help to create wherever he is. Lucas for instance helps very much to start attacks even from behind. Gerrard too but those  are some beasts at what they do.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #59: Feb 28, 2013 02:18:58 pm

What I slagged and took the piss out of last season, but to be fair the lad has been probably one of our best players in the last few weeks, when you see West Brom completely over-power our midfield and watch Zenit flood our midfield in that last 20 minutes of the game, coincidentally in both games both these teams did well after Henderson was subbed.

harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #60: Feb 28, 2013 02:43:53 pm
      The issue with Allen I find is where does he fit in? He's too lightweight to cover for Lucas and he isn't creative enough to be cover for Gerrard. At least Henderson has proven that he has a place in the squad - very handy player away from home with his workrate and his ability to keep the ball. I don't think it's a coincidence that we've fallen apart in some of the games he's been taken off in.

Ideally, I think he would fit into the CAM role of a 4-3-3 formation (setup like a 4-2-1-3).  However, this would require us to have proper wingers, which we haven't really had in years!!  Coutinho could be one, and Sterling certainly will be one in the next few years, but at the moment we are playing Hendo and Downing out wide and neither of them are real wingers who can stretch the field, take on defenders, and wreak havoc on the counter.  If/when we have wingers like that, I think Allen would be a very good option to play at the tip of our midfield trio with Gerrard and Lucas behind him.  He doesn't fit this role in the current team because our outside midfielders (Hendo and Downing) are not attack minded enough.  If we had more attack minded wide players, then a more withdrawn CAM would give us good balance, allow us to keep better possession to build our attacks more slowly, and help us to sustain attacking pressure in the final 3rd. 

I know Allen has not had a great season, but he is a very tidy player and I truly believe that he will find his feet for us very soon.  The abuse he takes reminds me a lot of how much people used to bad mouth Lucas.  It was unfair on Lucas then, and it is unfair on Allen now. 
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #61: Feb 28, 2013 06:13:38 pm
      I've been thinking about this one for a while now and it's very hard to come up with something. In my personal view I think Joe Allen has greater potential than Jordan, but Jordan has shown himself to be a good player for us this season. At this present time I think there's room for both of them in the team but if you put a gun to my head I would probably choose Joe Allen. On his day his nimbleness and reliability on the ball is fantastic. Against Zenit last week I thought he gave one of his best performances, not just "passing back" as many have claimed his only role is. He contributed in tight spaces, operating well in triangles. An excellent performance by the guy along with a goal. I can't deny his failings the last few months but I fully believe that to be the issue of severe confidence issues not helped by him being pushed back in to the DM role which he is not. But I'm happy with both in the squad right now. In the long term I can't predict how they will be. I genuinely believe Hendo and Allen can scale some heights at Liverpool. How long you give them though is the big question. It really is entirely up to Jordan and Joe with a little help by Brendan.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #62: Feb 28, 2013 07:29:02 pm
      Henderson actually does a really good job for us - or haven't you been watching us of late?

He plays some key passes, has a Kuyt-like workrate and is always available for a pass.

We should have won the game at Arsenal; Suarez and Sturridge made 2-3 runs each where if Henderson had made the pass, they would have been in on goal.  He screwed up each and everyone one of them. 
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #63: Feb 28, 2013 08:31:26 pm
      We should have won the game at Arsenal; Suarez and Sturridge made 2-3 runs each where if Henderson had made the pass, they would have been in on goal.  He screwed up each and everyone one of them. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did he not also create and score a pretty good goal himself through sheer work rate and resilience ???

Never fails that you will always manipulate an argument just to be able stick the knife in some of our young lads.....
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #64: Feb 28, 2013 08:32:38 pm
      Be honest, I think both add something as a squad option but both are pretty ordinary. Could do much better, that's for certain.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #65: Feb 28, 2013 08:38:38 pm
      Correct me if I'm wrong, but did he not also create and score a pretty good goal himself through sheer work rate and resilience ???

Never fails that you will always manipulate an argument just to be able stick the knife in some aspect of LFC.....

Sorted that mate.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #66: Feb 28, 2013 11:25:17 pm
      I think both are no more than squad players. Niether are the quality we need to take the team forward, and hardly put any level of fear into the oposition. Quite ordinary, mid table quality, and if we are going to rely on these long term, that is what we are becoming and why.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #67: Mar 02, 2013 02:58:23 am
      Henderson has something there. Stevie's replacement? Not in a million years but good foil for the man who is eventually trusted with replacing Steve Gerrard.

Allen has F**k all that I've seen. I don't even see him as a good partner in the middle of the park for anyone.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,945 posts | 287 
      Reply #68: Mar 02, 2013 01:10:45 pm
      Henderson has something there. Stevie's replacement? Not in a million years but good foil for the man who is eventually trusted with replacing Steve Gerrard.

Allen has f**k all that I've seen. I don't even see him as a good partner in the middle of the park for anyone.

Unfortunately, I completely agree. Everyone says hes better in a CAM role - Sorry, but you need to be the most creative person on the pitch to fill that role, and unfortunately even though hes tidy, Allen isn't that spark we need.
      Henderson (lets face it doesn't seem the brightest of the bunch), but hes got stamina and from what i hear a very good attitude (ala Lucas) and would pick him every time, not from an offensive front but just the relentless running to chase people down.

Quick Reply