Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Downing Stick or Move?

Read 7450 times
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Downing Stick or Move?
      Mar 11, 2013 01:30:54 pm
      Downing is starting to show some of the form that we thought we were getting when we bought him. But is it too late and should we cash in when we have the chance? Or would you like to see him given another season even though he's one of the top earners in terms of wages?

Interested to hear different people's opinion on him.
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2013 02:15:49 pm by JD »
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Re: Downing Stick or Move?
      Reply #1: Mar 11, 2013 01:33:20 pm
      Can't criticise his effort that's for sure . I was one of the ones who thought he wouldn't last past January but he's proving people wrong so good on the lad
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2: Mar 11, 2013 01:34:23 pm
      Cash in, I don't see him fitting into Rodgers long term plans so best to get the cash in and get some one in who will.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,459 posts | 2852 
      Reply #3: Mar 11, 2013 01:34:56 pm
      Keep him but make sure he becomes a squad player next season instead of being a regular like he is now.

He can cover three positions so unless we get a very good bid it would be stupid of us to sell him and weaken our squad further.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #4: Mar 11, 2013 01:40:30 pm
      Can I twist  :P
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #5: Mar 11, 2013 01:44:58 pm

Whatever does it for you Cas.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #6: Mar 11, 2013 01:50:17 pm
      Keep him but make sure he becomes a squad player next season instead of being a regular like he is now.

He can cover three positions so unless we get a very good bid it would be stupid of us to sell him and weaken our squad further.

Think we could get between 7-10mil for him on current form. He would be a good squad player for next season but he's on around 70k a week which is far too much for a squad player....
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #7: Mar 11, 2013 01:59:07 pm
      I'd keep him as he has proven of late to be a valuable player to have in the squad.

We should still buy another forward for the first team but Stewart is an experienced player to have in the squad.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8: Mar 11, 2013 02:07:18 pm
      Stick for another season for me. 

We need as much experience in the squad as possible and we need investment in the defense before we spend more on attacking options.

kornwall02
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 97 posts |
      Reply #9: Mar 11, 2013 02:07:43 pm
      i wouldnt get rid of him now hes doing what we wanted him to do originally. we finally seem to be getting our moneys worth and who knows.......he might keep getting better and better with suarez, sturridge and coutinho around him now. at worst hes an a great option to have......at best he will supply sturridge and suarez with goals on a plate and chip in with a few himself.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,675 posts | 6968 
      Reply #10: Mar 11, 2013 02:15:26 pm
      He has improved - although he was coming from a very low baseline.

Still a definite sell for me.  Doesn't get anywhere near enough goals for an attacking position, hasn't got enough pace and frequently drifts out of games.

His improving performance should help us at least get in the £5-£10M range when we sell him.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #11: Mar 11, 2013 02:20:49 pm
      It all depends on who else we can get to replace him, surely.

I think he was very good yesterday but then again, I honestly don't see him performing at that level (or better) on a consistent basis. So if we can improve in that position, I certainly wouldn't care if he leaves - I don't think he's the kind of player who'll grow with the team in the near future.

However, if we can't get anyone else, then he surely has a place as a squad player.

If I'm being honest, I hope we'll be able to replace him with better players... so in my mind, letting him go at the end of the season would make sense.
      Lofti Rider
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts |
      Reply #12: Mar 11, 2013 02:21:39 pm
      if he perform anything like yestdy in 4-5 games till the end of season it would be criminal to sell him.
      Plus he has finally setteled here he can make very good squad player if not 11 and if we sell him dont see a improved replacement worth 6-7 mil.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,924 posts | 967 
      Reply #13: Mar 11, 2013 02:29:41 pm
      I think we should keep him for a few reasons. 

1.  He wouldn't fetch more than 5M and it would be difficult to replace him for that amount.
      2.  He may not have the same level of offensive production as Coutinho, but he is much better defensively.  He made a few well timed tackles and blocks yesterday, and gives us good balance on the right flank.
      3.  He is building a good understanding with Johno on the right side and has even been linking well with Suarez when he cuts in field. 
      4.  He is able to play down either flank. 

Now, if someone was to offer us say 10-12M for the lad, then I would sell.  However, I feel that he is currently worth more to our team than he is on the open market.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #14: Mar 11, 2013 02:36:19 pm
      Tricky one if the team are to improve over the next few season I think Downing's position in the team has to be one where we look to bring in a better player, if that is to happen I wouldn't mind retaining him as more of a squad player. The big downfall for me is having a player in that squad role on the wages he's on.

I think so long as we can bring in a top quality player who warrants a first team regular spot, we off load him if we can't I think we keep him until we get someone.

His form of late has been much improved and I've got to give him a lot of credit because it can't have been easy with how his first 18 months at the club went. It would have been easy for him to put his head down and sulk like big money signings have done in the past.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #15: Mar 11, 2013 02:38:46 pm
      Keep him. He has had a good few months and could be a good squad player.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #16: Mar 11, 2013 02:45:54 pm
      I think we should keep him for a few reasons. 

1.  He wouldn't fetch more than 5M and it would be difficult to replace him for that amount.
      2.  He may not have the same level of offensive production as Coutinho, but he is much better defensively.  He made a few well timed tackles and blocks yesterday, and gives us good balance on the right flank.
      3.  He is building a good understanding with Johno on the right side and has even been linking well with Suarez when he cuts in field. 
      4.  He is able to play down either flank. 

Now, if someone was to offer us say 10-12M for the lad, then I would sell.  However, I feel that he is currently worth more to our team than he is on the open market.

I think 2 is the most important point to coinsider. I think others have noticed too that recently when we've lost the ball and had players out of position, its been Downing who comes across from the right into a defensive position in central midfield, freeing up another to go and apply pressure without being isolated. Now I'm not saying we should keep him on his defensive merits alone, but Downing has always been solid, if unimaginative. He's a useful squad player and its just a shame we paid such an extortionate fee for him.

BR seems to be using Downing to balance the team and to provide an outlet if needed on the right. Our main source of attack is now through the middle with Suarez + Sturridge or on the left with Coutinho and Enrique. Downing is an out ball and able to stretch the oppo defence with some direct running, but he isn't on the same offensive level as Coutinho. Whether we sell and replace him with someone of more attacking talent but who provides less defensive cover is an interesting debate. I argue we should keep him and rotate with Sterling depending on the tactical requirements of the game.
      Redangel

• 8,383 posts | 1024 
      Reply #17: Mar 11, 2013 02:46:56 pm
      Stick, no doubt about it for me.
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #18: Mar 11, 2013 02:53:47 pm
      He has really turned the corner IMO and I think we should keep him.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #19: Mar 11, 2013 03:09:40 pm
      Stick for sure! What is the point in selling him for roughly £5m? He provides decent attacking options, tracks his men back and helps defend, it means we then not only need a first team winger but also a squad winger too. Just gives ourselves more work to do in the transfer window when I can guarantee we won't get a warchest like some expect us to have if they expect us to ship numbers of people out.
      redno7
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 163 posts | 17 
      Reply #20: Mar 11, 2013 03:27:19 pm
      Stick...    I'm liking him a lot recently. He's really pulled his finger out since Rodgers told him he could fek orf. He's woke up and realised he plays for the best team in the world and he's got his sh*t together.

good on him
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #21: Mar 11, 2013 03:45:50 pm

Well you are female ;D
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,719 posts | 3941 
      Reply #22: Mar 11, 2013 03:50:35 pm
      Keep.

The guy isn't bad at all, can use both feet and I think he'll push on even better next season.
      If he can try break the 10 goal barrier this season then that would be massive progress.

Quick Reply